petals

thorns

 

 

The sky was ever so gloomy. Cottons with darkish hue engulfed the supposed to be blue canvas above. The entire city screamed sadness, with disheartened citizens commuting the streets as if they were automated robots. Each and every one of them were programmed to do their daily routines and to continue with on their lives. Even the park felt so eerie and silent, with not a single animal to be seen. All these because the bright sun was missing.

It was inconceivable to think that the giant star had the ability to change the entire state of this place. Without it, the people were like lifeless zombies, animals would disappear to God knows where, and places felt like they were dead and abandoned. Only the creeping nimbus clouds reigned victorious above, sending its depressing vibe to the area.

Amidst the saddening atmosphere of this park was Son Hyejoo. She had her head hung low, with her hands gently clutched. It never slipped on her mind that this horrible event could happen to her. She thought that her misery had already ended. She thought that love was the answer to the melancholia she was undergoing.

But she was wrong.

A girl named Ha Sooyoung stood still in front of her vicinity. Her visage pictured nothing but a cold stare to the silent wolf. She invited the latter to meet, not because she wanted them to hang out, but because she wanted to say something to her. The swan had been keeping this to herself for quite a long time now and on this very day, she decided to say everything to her lover.

Her ex-lover.

Sooyoung heaved a deep sigh, giving another emotionless glance to her supposed significant other. She'd be lying if she believed that she didn't enjoy her times with Hyejoo. But things had changed, and everything's not like before where sparkles and sunshine were enough to brighten their relationship. They've grown, and she realized that their bond was different. Unlike before, she could no longer feel the same emotion whenever she was around the baby wolf. Instead, it was more of a sister affection type, and not a lover one.

Her lips slightly parted open, as she began to express what she had been keeping for herself. "Hyejoo. I'm sorry if I called you at such a gloomy time. There's something important that I've always wanted to tell you." She knew that asking her out was easy, but telling her everything was the hard part. She knew that her lover was very sensitive, so saying it in the least hurtful way was extremely difficult for her.

Hyejoo's mouth slowly drooped open, but no words came out from her. She instead, meekly nodded and gestured the swan to continue talking.

"You know I've loved you for the longest time." The older girl stared at the latter's eyes, her orbs slowly melted to something more heartwarming as she continued to express her secret. "You know that right? But lately, I realized that it's not 'that' type of love. I'm sorry Hyejoo, but I only love you as a sister."

The wolf closed her eyes due to the sudden revelation. Somehow, she had already expected this to happen. It was so obvious from the moment they shared eye contacts. She even noticed how her lover treated her differently. At some point, her perfect image of their relationship broke down into pieces. But all she could do was to accept what Sooyoung had already said.

Slowly.

Gently.

Painfuly.

Her orbs that were now shimmering as if they were crystals continued to glow, but they weren't sparkling because of happiness. Instead, light reflected from the speckles of tears that welled up on her eyes. The amount of water began to obscure her vision, as she forced herself to stop the waterworks from falling. She tightened her clutch, until it formed a fist. She bit her lips harshly, hoping that it was enough to divert the aching pain on her heart.

She mustered the remaining strength she had, whilst pulling her head up to face the girl she loved with all her heart. "B-But I love you with all my heart!" She exclaimed in fear of losing her love. "W-What do you want me to do in order for you to love me more than just a sister?" Her voice was filled with desperation.

The sight in front of Sooyoung broke her heart. She made a huge mistake, and she could never mend what she had already damaged. If only she did not treat her like a sister, but more of a lover. Bits of her still loved the wolf truly, although she knew it was unhealthy to hold on to that. She never wanted to break her heart, but it had to be done, because it was the best for both of them.

"I'm sorry Hyejoo, but fixing this would only hurt the both of us." She moved her gaze down, as she held back to say the words she feared to utter. "Let's just... Break up."

The waterworks began to stream from Hyejoo's eyes, unable to believe that they were parting ways. "I-I... B-But... Okay..." She tried to wipe the tears that were flowing nonstop, but her attempts were futile. Her lips painfully curved upwards, whilst forming an eye smile at the same time. "Thank you for everything Sooyoung. You saved me when I was all alone and lonely. You were the reason why I felt special for the very first time. It hurts for me to accept this, but okay."

"So this is farewell, Hyejoo." Sooyoung smiled bitterly. "But remember this, if you need anyone to talk to, I'm always here for you okay?"

The wolf forced herself to beam another smile. "Y-Yes."

With Hyejoo's short reply, her ex-lover began to walk away from the scenery. Her gesture portrayed that she was silently sobbing whilst leaving. This sight made the wolf cry even harder. She was bawling her eyes out as if tomorrow was the end of the world.

But her world was already destroyed.

The ominous cotton above began to release uncontrollable raindrops. Hyejoo knelt to the ground as she continued to ululate. As cliche as it could get, she stayed there, weeping her life out as she released her misery. She didn't care if she would catch a cold-no one would. Her happiness completely disappeared in front of her eyes.

It must have been thirty minutes since Sooyoung left her, and she was still under the pouring rain, having no care about the possible sickness she could get. She was sitting on a bench, whilst lifelessly staring at the nothingness in front of her. Her entire thought revolved around the beautiful memories she had with her ex, and how she painfully said those words she dread to hear. But her daydreaming ended when she noticed that the continuous coldness she felt from the falling drops of water disappeared.

"Huh?" She mumbled inaudibly.

"So you were really here." A shorter girl, who had an umbrella open for them said. "Gosh Hyejoo, let's get you out of this rain! I don't want you getting another cold or whatsoever."

"Ch-Chaewon?" The soaked girl uttered in surprise. "How did you find out that I was here?"

"Uhm... Sooyoung contacted me. But never mind about that! Let's get going before you catch a cold." The girl who she called Chaewon nagged, whilst pulling her up from where she was sitting.

Park Chaewon, a bright and bubbly girl that was always there to help Hyejoo whenever she can. Although, she wasn't always beside her. She was unsure as to how she could befriend her to the point that they'd consider each other as best friends. Instead, she would always look after the latter from afar, silently protecting her from any type of harm. So when she learned about Sooyoung dating her dream best friend, she was skeptical with the swan's loyalty. She was scared that the girl would hurt her precious friend, if you'd consider it that way.

But during those times when Hyejoo and Sooyoung were happy with each other, a strange feeling of anger gushed through her veins. She hated how her friend's attention was always drawn towards her girlfriend, and she despised the older girl for that. But then, realization hit her pretty hard. No regular friend, or acquaintance would feel anything like this towards a couple. This pounding feeling on her kidney, which made her feel sick, was because of the girl she considered as her best friend. This was different, and she shouldn't feel anything like this. But it was inevitable, and she already knew what this was.

She had a crush.

So when she read the text from Sooyoung, saying that she broke up with Hyejoo, her face flew up in a blinding smile. She immediately asked where the poor wolf was and instantly ran to her location. She was so worried and at the same time very happy that she finally had the chance with her, but mostly the first because it was raining heavily and she knew the taller girl never brings an umbrella with her. Finally, she found her sitting at her favorite bench, soaking wet whilst completely drowned into staring at the horizon filled with nothing but clouds.

"Hyejooooooooooo come on! I'll treat you food if you come with me!" Chaewon offered. She couldn't seem to get through the other girl's thick skull.

"Really?" Hyejoo slowly shot her head up.

Bingo.

"Yes, of course! Anything to make this cute wolfy happy!" The little butterfly cheered, whilst trying her best to act cute.

A small chuckle escaped from the wolf's lips. "Alright, alright. As long as you buy everything that I want." She gently stood up, towering the latter who was trying to comfort her.

"Don't worry, I will!"

The two of them were now happily eating different kinds of pastas and such. Hyejoo had always wanted to try Italian cuisines but she barely had the money to afford them since they were extremely expensive. So she couldn't believe how Chaewon managed to pay for everything they'd ordered. She was thankful for her, not because of the free food, but because the latter did a lot to make her feel better-she did, even if it was only temporary.

"Hey Chaewon, I don't know why you're doing all these things for me..." Hyejoo opened up to speak. She briefly stopped eating her lasagna, which she loved so much. "But thank you for your efforts, I really appreciate it a lot." She stopped, and slowly plastered a genuine smile on her face.

The latter smiled back. She finally found an opening. This was her chance to convey all of the things she had been keeping for herself. She knew that it was too early, but if she waited a little bit longer, she knew someone else would beat her to it again. She was willing to take the risk, rather than losing her for the second time, and to painfully protect the person she fancy from the shadows.

"You're welcome Hyejoo." Chaewon smiled a thousand light bulbs. She knew it was her moment, and it was now or never. "Also... There's been something I've been wanting to tell you."

"Hm? What is it?" The other girl tilted her head, curiosity evident on her face.

"For a long time, I've been looking out for you in the dark because I was too doubtful of myself to personally befriend you. I discretely gave you things that could help you on your everyday life. At first, I wanted you to be my friend, a best friend. But when I saw you hanging out with Sooyoung, I realized that I wanted something more."

The butterfly stopped for a moment whilst taking another deep breath. The latter was still giving her a gaze of curiosity and confusion. Finally, she released the words she had always wanted to confess. "Hyejoo, I like you-no scratch that, I love you so much!"

"Y-You, what?"