Wind, Letters and Confessions

Wind, Letters and Confessions

Lira was taking a walk with her dog at the park when she picked up a cute looking paper plane on the side of the street. On its wings were two messy drawings of frogs. After careful inspection, she noticed there were words written on the paper.

 

She sat on a bench letting her dog play on its own while she read the contents of the paper which turned out to be a letter.

 

Hey

I don’t know who you are but my grandma told me you were supposed to be my true love.

I used to believe in that crap when I was a kid but now it just sounds ridiculous.

I stopped believing in true love or soulmates or any of that since I started college and came across the reality that even a good marriage can end up broken at some point because that’s exactly what happened to my parents. But I’m not gonna bore you with talks about my family.

So why am I writing this you might ask

Guess I was bored and a little bit drunk.

Anyway, my grandma said this should work as long as I write honestly and sincerely.

I think it's bull and this will just probably end up in a garbage can. But I think it won’t hurt to pour my feelings on a piece of paper and pretend you’re real. So bear with me okay?

If I would be really honest, I think I already like you. I mean, I may not know what you look like but I feel excited with the thought of meeting you someday. I look at the stars and think about how your eyes would probably sparkle as you stare back at mine. I close my eyes, feel the wind on my face and think about how soft your hair would be as it get tousled by the wind. I feel excited with the thought of saying your name once I get the chance to know it. I think of all the possibilities and wonders if we already crossed paths, if I passed by you on my way to school, or if our eyes met as we cross the streets. Don’t you think it's amazing that I love you even if I don’t know you yet?

But then again, this could all be just some nonsense that my grandma instilled in my naive little head. After all the whole idea of having a true love is just too good to be true. But at least tonight I get to dream that you could be real.

Please let me love the idea of you even if its just in my head. Just for tonight at least. And if for some sheer luck we meet, I’d like to ask you once, ‘Will you go out with me?’

Will you say yes? I wonder.

 

Choi Minho

 

She could feel the sincerity in every word. The first thing she thought of is, ‘Ah, this man is lonely.’ she could feel his pain as if she had known him for a long time.

 

Soulmate? True love? She doesn’t believe in those things either. She wasn’t as hopeless romantic as her friends who swoon with every ‘I like you’ from boys they met once. So she couldn’t understand the fluttery feeling in her chest as she read the name at the bottom of the paper.

 

Choi Minho, I think it would be nice to meet you someday.

 

She turned the page, take out a pen from her bag and with a smile playing at the corner of her lips, she wrote, “Yes, I would love to go out with you.”

 

She folded the paper and put it in her pockets with plans of keeping it. It would be a waste if it ends up in a trash can when the guy named Choi Minho put his heart and soul into it.

 

-------

 

Minho woke up with a terrible headache. At least he had enough sense to make it to his room last night. He might have freezed to death otherwise.

 

He barely remembers spending the night at the rooftop, staring at the night sky, a half empty bottle of beer next to him and a few more empty ones right next to it. It was one of those nights that he wanted to get himself drunk but college parties were too noisy for his liking so he prefers the rooftop of his apartment building as a hangout place. He doesn’t invite any friends because he wanted to drown in his own thoughts without the occasional chatter of his obnoxious friends.

 

Minho knew he was drunk because he started thinking about ridiculous thoughts like how the moon looks like a pizza and he wanted to eat it or how he wished he could fly like a bird (not like superman. He hates weird costumes). And then suddenly he was reminded of that story about wind spirits.

 

He chuckled to himself. He was definitely drunk but didn’t want to do anything about it. He took a few more sip of the beer loving the burning feeling at the back of his throat.

 

He remembers the time when he was only 10 and he was still very much fascinated with his grandma’s stories. Minho together with his brother and cousins would sit by the fireplace and listen as their grandma reads from an old book that has been passed down through generations. From flying dragons and magical beings to ghosts, spirits and other stories that a 10 year old kid like Minho would certainly find interesting. There is one particular story that Minho likes the most.

 

“If you write a letter and let the wind carry it, the person who replies is your true love,” his grandma would tell them a few times. Minho’s brother and cousins doesn’t believe it as much as Minho does. Maybe because they were older than Minho and Minho was still a naive little boy at that time. But Minho was very fond of that story and he would ask his grandma to retell it again. She said the wind spirits make sure the letter reaches his true love. As long as he pours his feelings into that letter, the wind spirits would feel his sincerity and deliver the letter to the correct person.

 

As Minho got older, the fascination faded until all that was left are just memories of those late afternoon storytelling. His grandma died of old age, his parents divorced, he moved out to study in a university 5 hrs away from home and his life turned into something he wasn’t very proud of.

 

Before he knew it, he was pulling out his notebook and pen from inside his bag and writing a letter to his supposed to be soulmate pouring his heart and soul into it. Then he was folding it so that it resembles a plane, added drawings of frogs as finishing touches before letting the wind carry it to god knows where.

 

Minho closed his eyes wishing his headache would fade soon. Hangover is something he hates waking up with but of course Minho never learns and last night was just one of those moments he enjoyed but hated at the same time.

 

The rest of the night were a blur and Minho didn’t bother recalling them. As long as he didn’t do anything embarrassing, he’ll live. He has a class to attend and he was running late. Drinking on a weekday was a bad idea as always. But Minho always does stupid things which he regrets afterwards. Nothing new.

 

If the letter ends up in a dumpster then good. But if someone finds it… Oh well, he can’t be the only Choi Minho in the world anyway.

 

----------

 

After that rare night of weakness, Minho was back to his usual self - going to bars every weekend, dating girls if he feels like it and dumping them when it gets bothersome (that is when the girl starts falling for him), then looking for another girl to or date or both (depends on his mood), then the cycle repeats again.

 

It wasn’t an ideal life but it works for Minho and he wanted to keep it at that.

 

It was one of those weekends when Minho decided he needed to let loose and he heard there will be a live band playing at one of the bars he frequents with his friends. Minho decided he didn’t wanna miss it so he went.

 

He was actually enjoying himself until he saw a girl in the crowd who looked too innocent and out of place. She was pretty (not the kind that he would like to senseless) but pretty like a rare piece of art that you would never want to touch because you’re afraid that your filthy hands would ruin it.

 

She was sitting in a corner drinking what looks to be a soda, the corner of lifted in a small smile while having a conversation with another girl that Minho assumes to be her friend.

 

Minho spent the rest of the night admiring the girl from a distance making sure he was being discreet as he didn’t want to startle the girl of his creepiness. Usually, Minho doesn’t take a lot of time wooing a girl. If it were anyone else he would have sat with her and made small talks and the night would have ended with her on his bed. But tonight it's different. Tonight he was a mess and he didn’t like the new found feeling at all.

 

Minho tried to distract himself by flirting with other girls, dancing with them and enjoying himself like usual but every now and then he would find himself staring back at the girl with the pretty smile and he was back to being a mess even without the help of alcohol.

 

“Are you okay?” A girl Minho was flirting with asked. What was her name again? He couldn’t remember. “You seem out of it.”

 

Minho tried to focus on the girl who was trying to show concern but Minho knew she was just bored and she was getting tired of his company. He glanced back at the direction of the girl that was messing his mind but she was no longer on the same spot. The night is getting worse by the minute.

 

Minho sighed. “Sorry. I just needed some air,” he excused himself and headed to the door with the exit sign grabbing a bottle of beer along the way.

 

--------

 

Lira hates the crowd but she loves to sing and she needed the money so working part time in a bar as a singer every friday night is actually not so bad. It was a friend who introduced Lira to a guy who apparently owns a bar and offered her the job. Lira agreed because why not? She just have to sing anyway. Turns out it was more suffocating than she expected so an hour before the start of her performance, she told her friend she’s going outside and promised to be back before the performance starts.

 

Once she’s outside, she let out a deep breath, thankful for the momentary silence. Aside from the muffled thumping of the base from the inside of the bar, the night is pretty much quiet and it calms her down. A few minutes later a sound of a door opening and closing followed by a deep voice broke the silence.

 

“Hi...” Lira turned at the sound of the voice. The man was gorgeous if Lira would be honest with herself. He was tall, very much so and he’s wearing a simple black shirt, ripped jeans and his hair was styled in a way that heightens his handsome features.

 

“H-hello,” she stuttered silently cursing herself for being shy all of a sudden.

 

“Am I interrupting you? I can leave if you want-”

 

“No, it’s ok,” Lira said before the man can finish his sentence. “You can stay.”

 

The man smiled and Lira thinks even his smile is gorgeous.

 

Lira sat on the concrete floor with her back against the wall. The man did the same but kept a good distance just in case she wanted to keep her personal space. Lira thinks he didn’t have to but she appreciates the concern.

 

The man cleared his throat before saying, “The weather is nice tonight.”

 

Lira chuckled. Weather? Seriously? That was very creative of you.

 

He laughed as well. As if reading her mind he said, “I’m normally a smooth talker.”

 

“Okay,” she said but the tone of her voice didn’t sound like she believes him.

 

The man laughed again and Lira likes the sound of it. “I am,” he stressed.

 

“I said okay.” Lira said feeling a little lighter than before.

 

“But you didn’t believe me.”

 

“Well, for one, you are suppose to start with introductions. Definitely not talks about the weather.”

 

“Okay, seongsaengnim. Since you seem to know so much about flirting, tell me more. What happens after introductions?”

 

“You’re flirting with me?”

 

Trying to flirt with you. Obviously I’m failing.”

 

Lira laughed. “We still have time. Give it your best shot.”

 

“Nah, I don’t think you’re the kind of girl that would easily fall for someone like me.”

 

Lira didn’t say anything afterwards. She stared at the moon, admiring its beauty, feeling comfortable with the silence. She could feel the man’s stare and other times she would have felt uncomfortable but not tonight. She likes the attention he was giving her. But he was also right to say she wasn’t the type to fall easily. But maybe… just maybe… if it’s him she could make an exception.

 

The next few minutes were followed by much longer silence which was surprisingly pleasant. It’s weird because even in silence, Lira was enjoying the man’s company as if they weren’t strangers who only exchanged a few words and who haven’t even had time to learn each other’s names.

 

She took a glance at the man sitting beside her. There was a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth but his eyes mirrors sadness. Lira would be lying if she says it didn’t bother her.

 

She was reminded of the drunk man named Choi Minho who wrote a letter to his soulmate that unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) ended up in Lira’s hands and safely tucked away in between pages of her favorite book lying on top of her desk in her room. Lira thinks this man is somehow similar to Choi Minho. She couldn’t explain it but her heart is telling her something that she couldn’t understand just yet.

 

----------

 

Minho didn’t think he would like the silence as much as he did at that moment. The girl seems to like it as well, if the small smile on her face was any indication. He almost hated himself for not taking up the courage to talk to her earlier that night but coincidence or not, here he is talking with the most intriguing girl he met. It felt nice.

 

“I like this,” he said breaking the silence. It was the most honest thing he said that night. It was the first time he looks at a girl and didn’t think about how he wanted to take her to bed, it was the first time he was sharing a conversation with a girl (not ing) and enjoying himself immensely.

 

“Me too,” she said in a soft voice that Minho almost missed if he wasn’t paying attention. “Do you always do this? Party, drink and stuff?” she asked.

 

“Yeah.” It’s depressing at home being alone with my thoughts, he wanted to add but thought better of it. The girl doesn’t have to know how messed up he is. “How about you?”

 

“I’m actually not fond of these things,” she said a matter of factly. “I’m only here for the part time job.”

 

“What kind of job?” Minho asked. He didn’t see her working so he doesn’t know what kind of job she does.

 

“I sing.”

 

“Cool. Are you part of the band that will be performing tonight?”

 

“Yeah.” she said while giving him a shy smile.

 

“Will you sing for me?” Minho didn’t think about the implications of that question. He was just genuinely curious how good of a singer she is. “I mean, I’d like to hear you sing. If that’s okay.”

 

“Uhm, I’m not really good or anything…” Lira said turning shy all of a sudden. Minho saw her cheeks colored a pretty shade of pink and he smiled.

 

“I’m pretty sure you are.”

 

That was all the assurance she needed so she started singing.


 

Charmed by the moon, on the road alongside the river,

The water’s surface shook with the reflection of the outdated townscape

Even as the party goes on,

No one notices as we slip out

 

Just like this, the breeze tonight burns

Until our hearts cool

Let’s walk on the bank of a sweet dream

To a world just for the two of us

 

The song faded to a whisper but the feeling lingers and the two of them found themselves unable to look in each other’s eyes. A blush was painting her cheeks and Minho found it simply adorable. Fighting the urge to wrap her in a tight hug, Minho cleared his throat and said the most sincere thing he said all night. “That was beautiful. You’re really beautiful.”

 

The moment was broken however when another girl came out from the back door calling for a girl named Lira (which Minho figured to be the girl he was currently hanging out with).

 

“Lira, you’re up next.”

 

“Ok. Coming!” Lira called back. She gave Minho a shy smile before running back inside.

 

Minho found himself smiling for no reason. He stood up, dusted off the dirt from his pants then walked his way back to his apartment. He doesn’t feel like partying anymore. He’d rather have a quiet moment with a certain girl named Lira but apparently she would be busy for the rest of the night so Minho might as well just leave. He didn’t want to admit it but Minho thinks that maybe he likes her just a little bit more.

 

-----

 

Minho reads the message from one of his bestfriends, Taemin. “We’ll be skipping our classes for the rest of the day to go to the arcade. Also, there’s a party later. Same club as last week. Wanna hang out? ”

 

He only have one class left and that’s economics. He didn’t wanna sit through an hour of lecture about supply and demand but he didn’t wanna spend the afternoon playing games in the arcade either.

 

“Sorry. Not today,” he typed his reply before pocketing his phone.

 

It has been a week since the party where he met Lira and Minho still couldn’t get over the encounter. He wanted to see her again and yet didn’t at the same time. He knew he just have to go back to the club if he wanted to see her again. It’s Friday night again and Minho was pretty sure she will be working again tonight. But Minho couldn’t find it in himself to actually man up and face her again. He was being a coward and he doesn’t even know why. Maybe it was the fear of messing up. Lira is someone he wasn’t used to. She’s different in a lot of ways, wonderful, unique and special that Minho could only dream of having.

 

But fate likes playing games to unsuspecting victims like Minho. Because when he decided to skip his economics class and spend time on the university’s rooftop, Lira was there sitting in a corner, an open book on her lap and a dog sleeping beside her.

 

Minho was stood frozen by the door, torn between leaving and sitting next to her. He chose the latter because he realized he missed her and this may be his only chance to talk to her again.

 

Lira looked up after hearing the sound of footsteps. When he realized who it was, she broke into a smile. With the afternoon sun lighting her face, and the soft wind slightly ruffling her hair, she looked ethereal. Minho was mesmerized.

 

“Fancy seeing you here,” he was even surprised he sounded normal despite his insides going on an overdrive.

 

“We’re attending the same school it seems,” she replied.

 

Minho didn’t wait to be invited. He sat next to her and peaked at the book she was reading. “Shakespeare? That’s boring as ,” Minho comments.

 

Lira laughs and it sounds so beautiful to his ears. “I’m not even surprised that you feel that way.”

 

“Most people would agree with me though.”

 

“Probably. But not everyone. There are people who find this good so don’t judge.”

 

Talking with Lira feels so natural as if he was talking to a long time friend. Not to a stranger that you only met once. It felt good.

 

The dog beside her woke up and stretched before positioning himself on top of the book Lira was reading. Instead of getting annoyed, Lira was smiling fondly at the pup and she started petting it which the puppy seemed to enjoy because it was once again sleeping contentedly on Lira’s lap. Minho thinks it’s ridiculous but he was actually feeling jealous over a dog.

 

“You pamper your dog too much.”

 

“Pumpkin? He isn’t mine. He’s a stray. I met him here one day and he stuck with me ever since. I gave him a name and bring him treats sometimes.”

 

“You like dogs don’t you?”

 

“I adore them. I have a pet dog at home. He always gives me a sad puppy look every time I leave for school. I haven’t seen him since school started. My mum takes care of him whenever I couldn’t. His name is Hamster.

 

“You named your dog ‘hamster’?”

 

“I think it suits him.” she said with a grin. She looks so happy that Minho didn’t wanna ruin it by saying her dog might get confused and starts thinking he’s actually a hamster and not a dog.

 

Lira, Minho realized, is a very interesting girl. One minute she could be really shy and sweet, the next she was telling Minho about that one time she intentionally poured cola over a bully’s essay because he was being mean to one of their classmates. The bully made her his next target so Lira was forced to hide in the rooftop and it became her favorite place ever since.

 

Minho may look like he was interested because he couldn’t get his eyes off of her the entire time she was speaking but he was only half paying attention to her words. He couldn’t care less about the poor classmate that she saved from the bully. All Minho cares about is how kissable Lira’s lips are and how much he wanted to have a taste.

 

Minho moved closer until they were only inches apart. Lira was confused but didn’t say anything. Her gaze was questioning and Minho wouldn’t be able to explain even if he wanted to. It was all instinct when he put his hand on the side of her face to force her to look at him and when he leaned closer so their faces were only an inch apart.

 

“I really wanted to kiss you right now,” he said although he didn’t have to because based on their current position it was already obvious what he was intended to do. He paused for a while waiting for Lira to react, to push him away if she didn’t like it. When she didn’t, Minho summoned all his courage and kissed her. He’ll think about the consequences later. When he can think straight. But for now he’ll listen to his heart and its telling him to do what he wanted to do in a long time.

 

Minho was gentle. It started as a peck but lasted longer because he couldn’t get enough. He felt her respond to the kiss and Minho had to stop himself before it gets out of control. He needs to get a grip of himself if he didn’t wanna scare her. Reluctantly he pulled away, but his hand remains on her cheeks, touching, caressing while his eyes remained on hers, memorizing every detail of her face and enjoying the way her cheeks turned pink.

 

“Uhmmm…” Face flushed and unable to meet his eyes, Lira said, “This is maybe a bit late but… Can I ask what your name is?”

 

Minho chuckled. He didn’t realize he has not introduced himself yet. In a teasing voice he said, “You shouldn't go on kissing guys without asking for their name first.”

 

“Well you were kind of in a hurry and I didnt wanna ruin the moment,” Lira explained, her cheeks growing warmer all thanks to this gorgeous guy whose lips were on hers minutes ago.

 

“You’re cute,” he said with a small smile on his face.

 

“Before you start showering me with compliments, can you please tell me your name?” starting to get annoyed because the guy seemed to enjoy her embarrassment.

 

“Choi Minho.”

 

-------

 

It was probably just a coincidence. Lira’s mind wanders to a certain Choi Minho who wrote a love letter for his soulmate. Maybe they have the same name. Maybe they are the same person. Lira couldn’t be certain yet. But she was sure of one thing - she was slowly falling in love with Choi Minho. The Choi Minho she met at the bar and shared conversations with.

 

They weren’t able to meet in the next few weeks. Lira was busy with her studies and part time job and Minho was back to his pathetic life - party on weekends and even on weekdays when he feels like it. But he stopped dating different girls. No one seems to interest him anymore after meeting Lira and Minho was perfectly fine with that.

 

They exchanged numbers and kept in touch. Minho would randomly send her a good morning text at two in the afternoon and Lira would find herself smiling like an idiot because she can picture out Minho waking up with his bed hair at 2pm.

 

“Minho, it’s two in the afternoon.”

 

“Yeah. So?”

 

“Your greeting is a bit late.”

 

“I just woke up so it's technically morning based on my body clock.”

 

Lira didn’t wanna argue because Minho would probably insist and Lira was convinced she would never win an argument with him.

 

“Fine. Don’t you have classes though?”

 

“Oh . It's not saturday?”

 

“Last time I checked, no. It’s friday.”

 

“Gotta go then. I’ll see u in school?”

 

“I’ll be at the library. Need to finish an essay before heading out to the bar later tonight.”

 

“i’ll find you.”

 

Lira didn’t realize she had a soft smile on her face until her friend who sits next to her in class pointed it out. They were whispering to avoid unwanted attention from the teacher.

 

“What are you smiling about?” Jihee asked ready to friend.

 

“N-nothing.” Lira was blushing and she hates the unwanted attention from her friend. Jihee caught the name on Lira’s phone before she managed to lock it.

 

“Choi Minho?” she had a frown on her face and it bothers Lira more than she’s willing to admit. “How did you get involved with this guy?”

 

“I met her at the bar where I work. Why?”

 

Jihee’s frown deepened.”Do you like him?”

 

“Uhm… I guess…” Lira didn’t want to admit it but there’s no point in denying it now.

 

“You should stop.” That’s the last thing she expected to hear from her friend. Lira thought Jihee would be supportive but turns out that’s not going to be the case.

 

“Why? Do you know Minho?”

 

“Not personally but I heard things about him and they are not very nice.”

 

“Well I met him a few times and he seems nice to me.”

 

“He’s a total flirt, Lira. He might break your heart if you fall too deep. You should avoid him at all cost.”

 

----

 

Lira knew Jihee was just being cautious. It was the first time she showed interest on a guy and she knows Jihee was just worried about her. But Lira was stubborn and all the warning bells in her head were ignored the moment she saw him standing by the entrance of the library after she finished the essay due that day.

 

Minho was all smiles and Lira felt the butterflies in her stomach were at a rampage. “Up for breakfast?” Minho asked when she got closer.

 

She chuckled. “You mean dinner?”

 

“It’s my first meal so its breakfast.”

 

She rolled her eyes. “Fine. As long as you pay.”

 

Minho took her to a small cafe, not too fancy but still nice. Lira wondered if it was a date but she didn’t dare ask. Their conversations were mostly about their interests and hobbies. None of them brought up feelings because it’s complicated and awkward and they were both not ready for it.

 

“Do you believe in soulmates?” Lira asked. She thought about the letter she kept at home and wondered if she will get answers to some of her questions.

 

There was a small smile at the corner of Minho’s lips when he answered, “I used to…” The response was a bit disappointing for Lira until Minho said, “Nah, I guess I still do. What about you?”

 

Honestly, she didn’t believe in soulmates but as she stared at Minho with that gorgeous smile of his she started believing that the letter was indeed meant for her and that maybe they really are meant to be. “I believe in it now.”

 

--------

 

Lira knew she was in trouble. But it wasn’t like she could stop it from happening. She learned that when a heart decides to feel something, you can’t do anything about it. It just happens. So Lira decided to just let it happen no matter how confusing and scary the new found feeling was.

 

Whenever Minho sends him messages like “I miss you” Lira’s heart would flutter like crazy. And when she sees him smile at her it makes Lira feel special as if she holds his happiness in her hands just like how Minho holds hers.

 

It's all too overwhelming but Lira was able to figure out some of it. Because all logic points to one thing - Lira is in love with Choi Minho.

 

It was scary as hell because loving someone who most probably doesn’t share the same feelings will only lead to heartbreaks. Lira knew that and yet here she is feeling like a total idiot because after almost a month of spending time with Minho, Lira learned that Choi Minho is apparently the same as what Jihee and everyone else believes him to be. It was Lira who was actually blinded and couldn’t see the real him.

 

It was another friday night. Lira already quit her job at the bar to focus on her final exams. Jihee dragged her to a party saying its a weekend, she needs to have a break. Jihee was very persuasive and so Lira found herself stuck in a party with drunk college students, with Jihee off to god knows where so Lira was feeling so bored and out of place.

 

It was at that moment when she saw Minho came in followed by his friends. He didn’t notice her yet and Lira didn’t wanna get noticed. She didn’t wanna be that awkward girl that was forced to socialize. Minho is at his element and she didn’t wanna ruin it by simply existing. She sat there in silence, observing while sipping alcohol and hating the bitter taste of the liquid in .

 

Things went downhill when Lira saw a girl came closer to Minho’s group and started clinging like a leech to Minho. She was y, sophisticated and beautiful that Lira knew she can’t even compare.

 

She tried to convince herself that it’s okay. Minho has every right to flirt with girls he’s interested with. She was doing well so far until she witnessed Minho and the girl kissing.

 

That was when Lira learned that she’s very much in love. Because if it wasn’t love she wouldn’t have felt jealous when she saw him kissing some other girl. If it wasn’t love, she wouldn’t have felt her heart beating frantically like it wanted to jump out of her chest.

 

Lira decided she had had enough. Looking away from the scene and avoiding people’s eyes to hide the tears that were threatening to fall from her eyes, she slipped out of the party and went back to her dorm only to bury her head in her pillows as she cried herself to sleep.

 

Falling in love is very troublesome indeed. Jihee warned her but she didn’t listen. So now she’s suffering the consequences.

 

----------

 

Meanwhile, Minho was still at the party with the rest of his friends feeling bored as . Normally, if a girl kisses him, he would kiss back. But this time Minho couldn’t seem to feel any sort of pleasure from having a girl’s lips on top of his. Not if the girl isn’t Lira. This girl (For the love of god, Minho couldn’t even remember her name) doesn’t seem to know the definition of personal space. Annoyed, Minho gripped the girl’s shoulders and gently pushed her away.

 

“Please don’t do that again,” Minho said without making an effort to hide his disgust.

 

He realized it was a bad idea to come. He wanted to see Lira but she was probably busy with exams coming up so he didn’t want to bother her. Minho should be studying too but he wasn’t in the mood and he figured nothing would get in his head if he wasn’t in the mood. So here he is surrounded by girls who wanted his attention except that he wasn’t interested anymore. He’s a changed man.

 

Minho decided to leave early. His friends were probably somewhere getting hooked up (he doesn’t really care). He sent them a message before leaving so they don’t go looking for him. Then he sent Lira a message.

 

<“Hey…”

 

There was no reply.

 

<“I guess you’re busy. Let’s talk some other time then.”

 

Minho was itching to add an ‘I miss you so damn much’ but thought better of it. Maybe some other time when he’s confident enough to express his feelings more. For now, he would have to make do. Minho pocketed his phone before heading back home. He decided to sleep. Maybe tomorrow would be better.

 

Except it didn’t get better. Lira was avoiding him and Minho have no idea why.

 

----------

 

Minho was on his way to his next class when he spotted Lira in the hallway. He hasn't seen the girl in so long and he misses her so much that he couldn’t stop thinking about her. His messages and calls were left unanswered. He couldn’t even find her in her usual spot in the library and Minho doesn’t know her schedule so all Minho could do was to wait until she showed up. So imagine his happiness when he saw her walking towards him. His face fell however when Lira looked up and after seeing Minho, her heal towards the opposite direction.

 

He ran up to her and caught her before she could ran away.

 

“Lira, is something wrong?” Lira was avoiding his eyes and Minho was too confused.

 

“Nothing. I’m late for class. I have to go.” she replied but Minho didn’t budge. His grip on her arm didn’t loosen.

 

“Will you text me?” If Lira looked up she would have seen the pleading look in his eyes.

 

“Y-yeah…” they both know it was a lie. But Minho couldn't do anything at the moment so he let her go while trying his best to ignore the slight pain in his chest as he watch her walk away.

 

----------

 

<“Lira, can we talk please?”

<“If I did something wrong, can you tell me? I'm confused as ”

 

Still no response but it’s nothing that Minho didn’t expect. When he let her go that morning, he knew nothing will change. Lira will continue to ignore him and Minho would be left feeling bad and confused. He tried racking his brain for any reason that might have caused the cold treatment but he can only come up with Lira finally realizing that Minho isn’t good for her after all and that hurts a lot if you ask him.

 

When his phone vibrated in his pockets there was a flicker of hope in his chest which disappeared the moment he saw who the sender is. It was just his friend, Jinki.

 

>“Party later?”

 

Heaving a sigh, Minho pocketed his phone after sending his reply. It has been weeks since he last went into a party and got drunk. Unknowingly, he had changed a big deal since he met Lira. Minho knew it was because of his desire to be a better man for her. But now there’s no point in it. Because Lira decided not to involve herself with him anymore. It was probably for the best, Minho decided. He was just fooling himself thinking it could work when in fact he doesn’t deserve someone like her after all.

 

----------

 

>“Sorry, not tonight.”

 

Jinki sighed after seeing the response from Minho. He knew Minho was going through some issues lately but he wished the man will stop being stubborn and let them help. He thought getting Minho drunk will make him talk but the man won’t even go out to have a drink so Jinki was getting frustrated.

 

it. I’ll have fun on my own then. Why do I even care?

 

----------

 

Lira wanted to forget. Those big doe eyes that looks at her adoringly that she almost thought could have meant something more. That gorgeous smile that she wanted to see every single day because it turns her bad days into good ones. Those soft touches that she thought were too gentle to be innocent. Lira wanted to get drunk for once and forget the past few weeks of her life.

 

“Can I come with you?” she asked Jihee when her friend mentioned that she was going to a party that night. It was hosted by some senior that Lira isn’t acquainted with being a socially awkward person but she knew about these parties and she knew that anyone who knows someone who knows the host are free to attend.

 

“You don’t like parties.” It wasn’t a question. She was simply stating a fact.

 

“Yeah, but spending another night studying doesn’t sound like fun either.”

 

Maybe Jihee sensed how badly she needed distractions because she agreed without much thought. “Ok. You’re coming with me then.”

 

----------

 

“Will you be fine?” Jihee asked for the nth time. She was reluctant to leave Lira alone. It’s a party with lots of drunk people so it wasn’t safe for someone like Lira who was not used to these things. But Jihee needs to find her boyfriend which was most probably drunk somewhere.

 

“Yes, I’ll be fine. You don’t have to babysit me.”

 

“I was just making sure. Don’t get drunk. But of course you won't because you don’t drink but seriously, don’t be reckless. Text me if you need anything, ok?”

 

“Yes, mom,” she teased.

 

Jihee left afterwards and Lira wanted to drown herself into alcohol despite all of Jihee’s warnings not to get drunk. It was the reason why she wanted to come in the first place. She wanted to forget.

 

After 4 glasses of whatever that alcoholic drink they were giving out, Lira was drunk enough that her head started spinning so she sat in the corner and lay her head on the counter while counting the beats of her heart.

 

“Hi, there.” Someone said next to her but she was too drunk to recognize the man. “Do you wanna dance?”

 

Lira shook her head. “Too drunk to dance.” The man chuckled.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Are you flirting with me?” Other times Lira would be too shy to ask but she’s drunk and she doesn’t give a .

 

“I might be. Why?”

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“Jinki. Lee Jinki.”

 

“Minho said I shouldn’t kiss a guy without asking for their name at least.”

 

“Minho? Choi Minho?”

 

“Yes. I like Minho but don’t tell him that.” Heck, she wasn’t supposed to say that either but what are the chances that this guy knows Minho? If she was lucky, her secret would be safe.

 

“Okay. So now that you know my name does that mean we can kiss?” Jinki was just teasing of course. This girl might have something to do with why Minho was acting strange so he wanted to learn more.

 

“Sure. Minho kisses other girls too so I should probably do the same.” The pout on her face was enough to convince Jinki that she hates the idea of Minho kissing other girls. He thinks the girl is too adorable for her sake.

 

Minho, what have you gotten yourself into?

 

---------------

 

Minho woke up from the sound of his phone vibrating. He didn’t realize he fell asleep upon arriving home. When he picked up his phone, there was a message from Jinki.

 

“Collect your girl before something bad happens.” There was a photo attached. It was Lira looking drunk, eyes closed, her head resting on top of the counter. She looked peaceful and adorable.

 

.

 

>Hurry up before I do something. She actually gave me permission to kiss her. I might just take her offer. She’s too cute. ;)

 

Minho found Lira with Jinki and he was grateful to his friend for keeping her company. Minho trusts Jinki a lot so he wasn’t worried about the the empty threats the older sent him earlier. But Minho would be lying if he said it didn’t bother him at all. Lira is beautiful and any guy would be blind not to see that.

 

“How is she, hyung?”

 

“Passed out. You should take her home.”

 

“Is she with someone?”

 

“I don’t think so. I didn’t see anyone with her when I came.”

 

Minho lightly shook her shoulders to wake her up. “Lira… Come on, I’ll take you home.”

 

Lira made an adorable yawn before looking up, eyes glassy from sleep. “Minho?”

 

“Yes, it’s me. I know you hate me right now but you’re drunk and you need to go home. You can hate me again after this. But first, you have to tell me where you live.”

 

“Okay.” Her response surprised Minho. Apparently, a drunk Lira is easier to deal with than a sober one.

 

Minho dropped to one knee so she can climb on his back. She didn’t put much resistance and Minho wonders if some other guy decided to take her home would she even said yes? Minho decided not to dwell too much on that thought for his own peace of mind.

 

Lira smells sweet like peaches and a little tint of alcohol. Her breath was causing weird sensations at the back of his neck which Minho tried his best to ignore. He said goodbye to Jinki ignoring the teasing smile of the older and the slight raise of the man’s brow as if waiting for Minho to provide an explanation. Minho didn’t give him the satisfaction and left with Lira on his back.

 

Minho didn’t take his car because his place wasn’t far and he figured it would be faster if he just ran. So now they ended up walking home but Lira wasn’t as heavy as he initially thought (the girl has to eat more seriously) and the wind wasn’t chilly this time of the year so Minho didn’t mind the long walk.

 

Minho thought she was asleep until she said, “I missed you.”

 

Minho let out a deep sigh. He was too tired of everything and he was too confused to function properly. “Then you shouldn’t have avoided me.”

 

“I have to protect my heart.” Okay, Minho decided. A drunk Lira is just as hard to deal with as a sober one.

 

“I don’t really understand what you mean. But I think I get it. You don’t like me. I understand.”

 

He couldn’t see her face but he could feel her shaking her head. “It’s not like that…” Minho waited for an explanation but Lira didn’t say anything more. Her even breathing made him realize that she fell asleep.

 

Minho woke her up when they reached her apartment. He wouldn't be able to open the door otherwise. Lira was still sleepy so she was leaning on the door frame as she waits for Minho to open the door. She was too tired to keep her eyes open and all her energy were used up just from keeping herself standing. So she was grateful when she felt Minho supporting her weight once more.

 

They made it to her bed. She could tell from the smell of the sheets as Minho lay her down on the soft mattress. There were two rooms in the apartment, the other one being Jihee’s, so Lira wonders how Minho knew which one is hers. If she was sober the answer would have been obvious. The entire room screams Lira - the bed was neatly made, there was a picture of a cute dog on her desk, polaroids littered her wall, a stock of books were neatly placed on the shelf. Minho felt like an outsider and that he didn’t belong there. So after tucking her in bed, he stood up to leave but he was stopped by a hand on the sleeves of his sweatshirt.

 

“Stay…” Her eyes were drooping from sleep but she was determined to convince Minho to stay. “Please…”

 

“Ok.” minho said after a while. “I’ll be outside. Just call if you need anything.”

 

The grip on his sleeves didn’t loosen. “No, stay. Here.” she was shaking her head as an added effect and Minho was too weak for that look on her face that he could only sigh in defeat.

 

“Alright.” he said before sitting at the edge of the bed making sure to keep his distance.

 

Minho noticed the open window so he stood up to close it. The wind blew inside the room making it colder than usual. As he passed by her desk he noticed a book sitting on top of it. The pages were flipped probably due to the strong wind earlier. When he came closer, Minho noticed a piece of paper in between the pages. It was folded so he couldn’t read the contents but the drawing of a frog on the surface was oddly familiar that Minho couldn’t help but unfold it and read the words written inside.

 

He didn’t have to go through every single word. He can still remember everything he had written down despite the alcohol that was clouding his mind that night. When he turned the page, he saw something he hadn’t written before.

 

Yes, I would love to go out with you.

 

Minho glanced at the sleeping girl and warmth quickly spread in his heart. If there was any doubt in him that soulmates are real, it was long gone by now. Lira is his soulmate and no one can convince him otherwise.

 

-------

 

When Lira woke up, she realized a lot of things and most of them were not good. For one, she’s a very honest drunk. She clearly remembers everything she said and did last night and it was enough to make her curl in embarrassment. Two, she hates alcohol more so now than she did before. Three, hangover is the worst feeling ever. Her head was pounding so hard she even wonders how it hasn’t exploded yet. Why did she even think it was a good idea to drink last night? And lastly, she was obviously in bed with someone (fully clothed, thank god) and Lira’s mind refuses to acknowledge the presence of that someone although from what she remembers last night, she knew perfectly well who that person is. She just wanted to prolong the moment before she has to face the said man. Her headache was already giving her enough problems. She wasn’t prepared for more.

 

Minho on the other hand was not a very patient person so when he noticed that Lira was awake he started making a conversation.

 

“Do you remember last night or do I have to explain why we’re on the same be-”

 

“Don’t remind me.” Lira cut him off mid-sentence. She groaned before forcing her eyes open and she came face to face with a smiling face of Choi Minho who was amused more than anything else. He seemed to be in a good mood, totally opposite from what she currently feels and Lira thinks that was unfair.

 

“Why aren’t you suffering like I am?” she asked while at the same time burying her face on the pillows so Minho wouldn’t notice her flustered face.

 

“Because unlike you, I didn’t get myself drunk.” That was the longest conversation they had in awhile and Lira would be lying if she said she didn’t miss it.

 

“You should freshen up. You’ll feel better afterwards, trust me.” Minho said when she didn’t move an inch.

 

It was answered by a muffled, “Sleepy. Let me sleep some more.”

 

She was being so cute that Minho wished she will stay this way for awhile. This is better than a Lira that always avoided him like a plague. “You can sleep again after you eat breakfast and take some pain medicine,” he tried to convince her some more.

 

Lira thought that was actually a good idea and she was pretty sure Minho would threaten to carry her to the bathroom if she didn’t move soon. So she dragged herself to the bathroom after giving Minho a glare and earning a chuckle in return.

 

-----

 

Lira indeed felt a little better after taking a shower but she decided not to tell Minho he was right. Besides they weren’t supposed to be talking right now. If only her drunk self wasn’t so stupid last night they wouldn’t be in this awkward and complicated situation now.

 

Jihee hasn’t come home yet. Lira already sent her a message earlier, telling her she went home safe and apologizing for leaving without notice. Jihee replied saying she’s at her boyfriend’s place and won't be home until afternoon.

 

“I used the kitchen. I hope that’s alright.” Minho said without facing her. He was making coffee so his back was on her.

 

“It’s fine,” Lira replied softly and Minho spared her a glance followed with a smile that turned her into a flustered mess. Good thing he turned back to the task at hand almost immediately so Lira had the chance to compose herself.

 

There were toasts, bacon and eggs on the table waiting to be eaten. Lira almost wish this could be a daily thing between them but her rational brain knew it would be just that - a wish so she pushed the thoughts aside.

 

Minho sat on the chair opposite from her’s. They started eating in silence which Lira was grateful for. She didn’t think she was capable of having small talks when her head feels like its about to explode. After breakfast, Minho gave her an ibuprofen which she took without complaints.

 

Lira was feeling sleepy again afterwards and she swore not to get drunk again because hangovers are definitely not fun. Minho cleaned up after breakfast and she was already feeling bad because he already cooked and yet had to do the dishes too. She told him so and Minho only gave her a smile and told her to take a rest. But Lira refused and decided to keep Minho company as he wash the dishes.

 

“Minho, are you dating someone right now?” Lira was really curious about the girl she saw Minho kissing at the bar a few weeks back.

 

“No.” Minho replied without taking his eyes off the dishes he was washing.

 

“So you like kissing random girls then?” she tried not to sound jealous but it was still evident in the tone of her voice. She hoped Minho didn’t notice.

 

“You’re making me sound like a bad person.”

 

“Well, do you?” She asked again.

 

“No, of course not. I don’t. I only like kissing you.” Lira could feel her cheeks getting warm so she was thankful Minho was still busy to notice.

 

“Liar.” she blurted out before she could stop herself.

 

Minho paused what he was doing so he could face Lira and understand what she was trying to say. “Care to explain what you mean by that?”

 

“I saw you kissing someone at the bar a few weeks ago. You were… really close.” Lira didn’t have the courage to look him in the eyes so she focused her gaze anywhere else other than Minho.

 

“Is this why you were avoiding me these past few weeks?”

 

She nodded, a little bit ashamed of her actions. She should have talked to him instead of running away.

 

Minho sighed like her words caused him physical pain. He crossed the distance between them and before she knew it, she was engulfed in a warm hug.

 

“Be my girlfriend Lira.”

 

She frowned. “I was just telling you about how I saw you kissing someone else and now you’re proposing to me?”

 

“If you agree to be my girlfriend, we will be exclusively dating and i will be free to tell anyone who tries to kiss me to off because I’m already taken.”

 

When Lira looked up to meet his gaze, Minho was grinning widely as if his idea makes a lot of sense when Lira thinks none of it adds up.

 

“You’re unbelievable.”

 

“Before I met you, I was stupid and reckless and lonely. Yes, I used to date a lot. Not because I like it but because it distracts me from things that I would rather not think about. I was lonely, Lira. Everyday I wake up feeling worse than the day before. My friends can only help so much. And then you came along. There was a sudden desire in me to be a better person. To be someone worthy of you. You might not believe me now but I want to prove to you that I’m not playing games. So please give me a chance. And besides,” Minho paused. His arms tightened around her waist and his smile grew. “You said you would go out with me.”

 

“When did I-” she was about to ask when she suddenly remembered the letter sitting on top of her desk. “Oh-”

 

Minho’s grin widens. “Hi, soulmate.”

 

Lira buries her face on Minho’s chest and she could swear she hears a soft ‘I love you’ whispered to her ear.

 

As Lira listened to the thumping rhythm of Minho’s heart, she thought, it. “I love you too.”