Final

Among the Flowers

A/N: So I noticed that Sohyun and L.Joe have been liking each other's photos on Instagram recently and reminded me how much I loved this ship so I wrote or rather re-wrote a onshot. I hope you enjoy!

Sohyun isn’t sure why she was at the florist. She had no one to give flowers to and she certainly wasn’t getting flowers from anyone so why was she at the florists?

Well this florist was a little different. It was a small local florist run by an old married couple at the train station. Sohyun was on her way to catch the train but her train had been delayed a little bit so she had wondered around the train station. She had walked past the florist on many occasions but she was usually in a rush so she never had a chance to take a look.

And she normally did not go into the florists because as stated above, she didn’t really have anyone to give flowers to anyway. But this florist had that warm and welcoming feeling to it. So with her train delayed by an hour, she ends up wondering around the station and got herself a drink from the coffee shop before walking to the small florist.

When she steps in the old lady who runs the florist welcomes her. She smiles back at her and she asks her if she was looking for anything specific and special. She shakes her head no and explains that she was just having a look while her train was delayed. The old lady rolls her eyes and makes a comment about how trains are never on time and he can’t help but laugh. She has to agree though.

She tells Sohyun that she was welcome to stay and have a look for as long as she wanted and she thanks her.

She slowly walks around the florist and among the rows of flowers. There were a large variety and since it was the spring it was the perfect weather for flowers. She saw some pretty white roses and she smiles at them. Next to them were some vibrant yellow daffodils.

She finds herself being intrigued by the many beautiful flowers that she doesn’t see the figure carefully arranging the new flowers in their place.

Byunghun is a quiet person who doesn’t get phased by many things. He knows it but when he sees Sohyun just browsing around the shop; he freezes and finds himself being intrigued. He knows it’s creepy but he stares. He snaps out of his thoughts when he hears the bell of the shop jingle and then he goes back to work. But he is still stealing glances at Sohyun.

He is stealing another glance at Sohyun when she looks up and meets Byunghun’s eyes. He panics a little but panics some more when Sohyun smiles at him. His eyes widen in shock but he manages to smile back at her.

He puts down the flowers he was holding and jumps off the steps he was standing on. He walks over to Sohyun.

“Hello, can I help with anything?” he asks.

His voice is soft and warm. It makes Sohyun feel warm.

“I’m ok thank you. I’m just having a look”, she says and smiles back at him again.

“OK, if you need anything just give me a shout”, he says.

Sohyun nods and goes back to looking at the flowers. Byunghun watches Sohyun for another second and sees that the Calla Lilies have caught Sohyun’s eyes.

“Calla Lilies symbolises beauty”, Byunghun says.

He doesn’t know what came over to him when he says it. All he knows is that he thinks Sohyun was beautiful and the Calla Lilies were perfect for her.

“Oh?” is all Sohyun can say.

He visibly blushes and laughs nervously.

“Sorry, I’m just thinking out loud”, he says.

“No, it’s ok…I think it’s beautiful that each flower have their own meaning”

“I’m Byunghun by the way”, he says.

“Nice to meet you Byunghun, I’m Sohyun”, she says with a beautiful smile which makes Byunghun’s heart swell in joy and the butterflies in his stomach come alive.

“Nice to meet you too”, Byunghun says with a shy smile and he doesn’t realise that Sohyun is going through the same feelings as he did.

“Do you work here?”

He laughs.

“What do you think?”

“Of course you do, silly question to ask”, Sohyun says with a nervous laugh.

Sohyun ends up talking to Byunghun about different flowers. He has so much love in his eyes as he talks about all the flowers. He also points out some of his favourites to Sohyun. All this time the two of them have no idea that the old lady has been sitting at the counter and watching the two of them interact.

“They remind of us when we were younger”, she says.

“Hmmm”, her husband hums in reply from the backroom where he is t all the flowers and getting them ready for arrangement.

“Remember when we first met?” she says with nostalgia.

“You mean the time where you rejected me?” her husband asks and she can only laugh.

Sohyun is still deep in conversation with Byunghun when she hears the announcement for her train.

“Oh! I gotta go! It was nice to meet you Byunghun!” Sohyun says.

“You too! Come back anytime”, he says and she gives him a quick nod before he runs off.

Sohyun thanks the old lady at the counter who only laughs and waves at her as she dashes off. She makes it to his platform just as the train is pulling up and she sighs in relief. The rest of the day, all Sohyun can think about is Byunghun and the sweet way he smiled and talked to her.

She feels his heart skip a beat and the familiar feeling of butterflies in her stomach comes back in a long time.

“Oh no”

But falling in love with Byunghun is easy. Sohyun is a regular at the train station anyway so she often dropped by the florist. She ended up getting to know the old couple and learned about how they met when they were younger and fell in love with flowers together. It was a sweet story.

She also got to know Byunghun and his love for all the flowers and the shop. He would talk about the shop like it was his child and Sohyun could honestly spend hours just watching him talk.

Sohyun finds out that he had been working at the florist since he was 11 since it was his grandparents’ shop.

“Really?”

He laughs and nods.

“I have been working here for as long as I can remember. No one forced me or anything. I just liked being with my grandparents and the flowers were just a bonus”, he says.

Some days Sohyun would come to the train station super early and sit in the backroom with Byunghun while he made some of the most beautiful flower arrangements she had ever seen. It had become a comforting ritual if Sohyun was being honest. Just sitting there and watching Byunghun work as he hums a song was so relaxing.

Sohyun would sit on the stool and watch his face in concentration. She couldn’t help but smile at him.

His grandparents secretly watch the two of them and giggle like young children.

But all good things come to an end as Sohyun checks the time. It’s time to leave and her heart drops.

Sohyun quietly stands up and picks up her things. She stares at Byunghun for another second.

“I should go now”, she says slowly.

Byunghun looks up at him from his flower arrangement.

“Oh”

“I’ll see you next time?” Sohyun asks.

He doesn’t reply as he puts the flower he had in his hands down on the worktable. He walks up to Sohyun quietly and stands right in front of her. He then picks up a Peony and gives it to Sohyun.

“What is this for?”

“Something to remind you of me for the day”, he says with a laugh and Sohyun’s heart skips a beat.

“Have a good day and I’ll see you next time”, he says.

“You too”

And this becomes another ritual.

Byunghun gives Sohyun a different flower every time.

The next one was a Hydrangea.

The one after was a Gardenia.

And then the Daises.

And suddenly Sohyun thinks about the first time he met Byunghun and how he told her the meaning of the Calla Lilies.

That day Sohyun runs back home and looks up the meaning of all the flowers she had received from Byunghun.

Daisies convey loyal love.

Gardenias were for secret love.

Hydrangeas symbolised heartfelt emotions.

Peonies showed bashfulness and compassion.

And then everything seems to click into place.

The next time Sohyun goes into the shop, she goes just as Byunghun’s grandfather was opening the shop.

“You’re early”, he said with a smile.

“I want to buy something today”

“Oh?”

He lets Sohyun in and he picks the one flower she knew meant love. She is paying for the roses just as Byunghun walks in the shop with three cups of coffee.

“Oh, hey”, he says with a smile.

Sohyun smiles back.

“Buying something today?” he asks in curiosity as his grandfather is wrapping the roses in some paper for Sohyun.

“Yeah, I finally have someone to give them to”, she says.

Byunghun looks at her in surprise. He watches Sohyun as his grandfather passes him the bouquet of roses. Byunghun watches her as she slowly walks towards him.

“Roes, they symbolise love”, Sohyun says slowly.

Byunghun just stares back at her.

“Who are they for?”

“Someone special”

Byunghun looks at Sohyun and she almost feels bad when she sees Byunghun’s eyes cast downward, sadly.

“They are for you”

Byunghun’s eyes widen in surprise as his face turns a bright crimson and Sohyun can’t help but laugh a little.

“They are confessing! Come quick!”

“Granddad!”

His grandfather just laughs.

“Stop embarrassing him!”

His grandmother pulls his grandfather away and into the backroom leaving the two of them alone.

“Why are they so embarrassing?”

Sohyun can’t help but laugh.

“They just love you”

Byunghun pouts and Sohyun can’t help it but think he looked super cute but she bites back the comment. She had a feeling that if she suddenly called him cute and pinched his cheek, he might just reject the roses. She would have to soften him up with time first.

“Will you accept the roses though?” Sohyun asked instead.

Byunghun’s focus is back on her and the roses she was holding. His eyes light up but the blush on his face tells Sohyun just how nervous he is.

“Of course I do”, he says and he gently takes the roses from her.

“I have something for you too”, he says softly and walks towards the rows of flowers.

The morning sun shining in through the huge windows makes the whole room glow, along with Byunghun. He looked absolutely beautiful as he walks to the exact spot she had met him.

Calla Lilies symbolise beauty.

He is smiling when he walks back to Sohyun with a single Calla Lily in his hand.

“Calla Lily”, Sohyun says softly and JByunghun’s smile widens.

“From the very first day, I knew they were perfect for someone as beautiful as you”

Sohyun feels her face heat up and Byunghun laughs.

“I’m sorry, I’m not normally this cheesy”, he says.

“You’re forgiven”, Sohyun says, the blush still visible on her face.

Both of them end up putting their respective flowers down and Byunghun slowly walks closer to her.

“So er…wanna go on a date?” he asks shyly.

“I would love that”, Sohyun says just as shyly.

He takes her hand and smiles before biting his lip. Sohyun laughs again and takes her free hand and wraps it around his shoulder.

“This feels like we are about to dance”, Byunghun says.

“Mmm, dancing among the flowers sounds romantic”, Sohyun says and he laughs.

“I think a kiss among the flowers sound more romantic”, Byunghun says with a cheeky smile and Sohyun almost wants to slap his little smile.

“I wouldn’t know…you’d have to show me”

Byunghun laughs again but gently wraps both of his large hands around Sohyun’s waist and pulls her close to him. Sohyun can feel Byunghun’s sturdy chest against her and she swear she can feel his heart beating against her own. And ever so gently Byunghun cups her face with one hand and pulls her in for a kiss.

Byunghun’s lips are soft and warm against Sohyun’s and she can feel the butterflies in her stomach come alive again.

A/N: And that is it! I hope you liked it please leave your thoughts in the comments so maybe I will write more JoeHyun. See you next time lovelies.