1/1

the day i die.

 

 

 

This is it-  

 

Jungkook is going to die.  

 

His screams echo through the darkness as he falls, faster, faster, faster, until he's abruptly cut off as he hits the water.  

 

Instantly, he's enveloped into the embrace of the icy waves, shocking him into stillness.  He doesn't fight back as the current carries him away, dragging him further into its murky depths.  

 

Jungkook allows his eyes to drift closed, automatically obeying as an unknown voice soothes him, tells him to give up, to sleep, to rest.  He floats along, allowing his numb body to succumb to the water.  

 

He's cold, so cold.  

 

No.

 

Oh, no, no.

 

A voice cuts through the water like a sharp knife.  Jungkook's eyes snap open and he turns his head, searching for the source.  It's different than the one that was talking to him earlier- this one's somehow familiar and comforting.

 

Suddenly, someone's gathering him to their chest and swimming up towards the surface.  One second he's in the water and the next he's lying flat on his back on an unknown surface.  The same someone connects their mouths together and breathes into his.  Hands pump on his chest expertly, bringing him back from the brink of death.  The darkness recedes from his vision and he begins to cough. He coughs up so much water that he hears his savior make a sound of concern.  Opening his eyes, he sees his rescuer's face hovering over his.  It's a guy, Jungkook realizes, with a halo of bright blonde hair and brown eyes.  To Jungkook, he looks like an angel.

 

The boy wears an expression somewhere between relief and concern.  His pink lips quirk up into a slight smile as he stares at him.

 

"You're alive," he states simply.  

 

Jungkook opens his mouth. "You- you-" he starts to say before he resumes coughing.  The boy brings a warm, and, surprisingly dry hand to his cold and wet cheek. "Shh," he hushes gently, "Don't speak."  He pulls Jungkook's head onto his lap and threads his fingers through his hair, the action oddly familiar. obeys wordlessly, relaxing under the boy's soft touch and closing his eyes.  They stay that way for a while- for how long exactly, Jungkook has no idea, nor does he care.  

 

Finally, he breaks the silence with a question:  

 

"Who are you?" he asks quietly.  

 

His voice is nearly inaudible, but he knows the other hears him because he feels the boy go rigid.

 

 Concerned, he opens his eyes.  The boy has gone pale, staring at him, shocked into stillness.

 

 "No," says the boy.  "No, no, this can't be happening."  His voice sounds panicked and frantic, not unlike how he sounded underwater.  Jungkook observes him quietly, confused.  Should he know him?  The boy removes his head from his lap and edges away.  "I-I can't do this," he says, in almost a whisper that Jungkook barely catches.  Panic surges through Jungkook's body at the boy's words.  

 

"Wait," he pleads, struggling to sit up.  He stretches out a hand.  "Please don't leave.  Don't leave me here."  

 

Alone, he adds silently in his head. 

 

The boy stares at his hand, then at his face.  He looks so lost, Jungkook thinks, so lost and unsure.

 

"I'm sorry," whispers the boy.  

 

And with that, he disappears.  

 

In an instant Jungkook is enveloped in a blinding, white light.  There's pain, so much pain- He hears a scream- it's his.

 

Then everything goes black.

 

 

 

 

Drifting. 

 

Jungkook drifts through nothing. 

 

 There really is nothing- just him, his thoughts, and the darkness. 

 

And the voice.  

 

He can hear it- calling, beckoning, beseeching him, tempting him with promises of peace and rest.  And Jungkook wants to believe it- he's so tired and lonely, and if the voice can get him the rest he needs, maybe he should listen.  But a small part of his half-conscious mind still remembers the boy.  The beautiful, mysterious boy who rescued him then disappeared.  Something tells him he'll never see the boy again if he listens to the voice, and for some reason that bothers him.  

 

He really, really wants to see the boy again.  

 

So he ignores the voice, and stays.  

 

Drifting.  

 

But he doesn't drift for long.  

 

He soon feels a  slender, slimy something snake around his ankle, followed by another, and another until most of his body is rendered immobile.  Jungkook panics.  He kicks and thrashes against his bonds, but to no avail.  He's pulled down, down, down, down through the endless darkness, faster and faster, until he starts to feel nauseous.  Looking down he sees not water this time, but huge, jagged rocks.  Their craggy forms reach out to him like claws, ready and waiting to cut into his flesh.

 

Imagining the way he'll be impaled once he lands, Jungkook gulps.  And sure, he's been thinking about the mysterious boy nonstop, but now he really wishes he would show up.  The rocks are getting closer and closer.  Jungkook closes his eyes and braces for what will come next- impact, pain, and death.  

 

But it never comes.  

He finds himself floating a few feet above his demise, held securely in warm, familiar arms.  Hot breath tickles the back of his neck.  Turning, his eyes meet a pair of choclate brown ones that he can't seem to forget, and he gasps.

 

He's here.

 

The boy stares at him, an intense array of emotions swimming in his eyes, struggling to surface.  Jungkook stares back unable to look away.  The boy’s eyes are like a well, one so deep and bottomless that he thinks he could stare into them for forever and still wouldn’t get tired of it.  He exhales, shaking his head. "You've really got to stop almost dying." 

 

"You.." starts Jungkook, gazing wide-eyed at the boy. He feels tears well up on his eyes and he hides his face in the boy's shoulder.  

 

"You left me."  His voice comes out muffled against the soft material of the boy's sweater.  

 

The boy lets out a breath.  "I know, and I'm sorry.  I should have stayed with you," he says softly.  "I was scared because- well-"    His voice cracks, and he pauses before taking a deep breath and continuing.

 

"You don't remember me at all, do you?"  

 

Jungkook raises his head.  Tears have appeared at the corner of the boy's eyes, some already beginning to roll down his cheeks, and he has the sudden urge to take hold of the other's face and kiss the tears away.  So without thinking he does- cupping the boy's face in his hands and pressing his lips at both corners of his eyes.  He hears a sharp intake of breath from the other before he pulls away.  He flashes him a small smile.  "Don't cry.  I may not remember you, but I'm sure I know you, somehow," he whispers.  He rests his head on the other's shoulder.

 

 "Somehow, I know I do."  

 

It's momentarily silent.  Then the boy speaks.  

 

"Taehyung." 

 

Jungkook lifts his head, confused.  "What?" he questions.  

 

"Taehyung,"repeats the boy.  He's staring at Jungkook, intently, expectantly.  "Does that ring any bells?"  

 

"Taehyung," repeats, trying the word out on his tongue.  He like it, he decides.  It sounds just right.  He can feel the boy's eyes on him so he concentrates.  He tries to recall when he would of heard the word, but all he can remember is darkness.  He's about to inform the boy that no, it doesn't ring any bells, when he's hit by a memory so hard he cries out.  

 

And all of a sudden, he remembers. 

 

He remembers happiness, light, and a world full of possibilities.  He remembers family, friends, love, laughter, and warmth.  He remembers a boy with a boxy smile, a bright laugh, and beautiful chocolate brown eyes.  

 

Taehyung.  

 

Taehyung. 

 

 "Taehyung!" Jungkook sobs, flinging his arms around the boy's- Taehyung's- neck.  He feels Taehyung let out a shuddering breath, his arms tightening around Jungkook.  Jungkook feels something wet land on  his bare shoulder and knows he's crying too.  Their lips connect on a messy kiss that tastes like salt and and Jungkook curses himself because how could he have forgotten how good, how right it feels to kiss Taehyung?  To be held by him?  

 

They break apart for air and Jungkook leans his forehead against the other's. Jungkook can hear the elder muttering his name over and over, like a mantra- Jungkook, Jungkook, Jungkook.  

 

Taehyung finally speaks.  "How much do you remember?"  His head moves down until his face is buried in the crook of Jungkook's neck.  The feel of his lips against his skin sends a shiver through him. 

 

"Hm." Jungkook ponders for a moment. There was..an accident."  He pauses, unsure.' "I remember yelling, and then lights from a car." 

 

"Good," murmurs Taehyung.  "What else?"  

 

Jungkook tries to recall other details, but his mind is a muddled mess of murky memories and dark voids of nothing.  "Not much else is clear," he confesses.  "That's all I remember."  Well, not all.  He remembers the pain- so much pain, everywhere.  The memory's fresh enough to bring fresh tears to his eyes.  

 

Taehyung exhales.  "That's to be expected, I guess.  The important thing is to get you home.  We can explain everything there."  

 

"Home?" echoes Jungkook.

 

Raising his head, Taehyung gives the other a reassuring smile.  "Yes, baby, home.  To the hyungs and your parents and everyone else."  

 

He feels his cheeks up at the pet name and knows he's blushing.  "Home," Jungkook repeats again softly.  "Yes.  Let's go home."

 

Wait.

 

Jungkook stiffens.  It's the voice again, faint, but just as smooth and soothing as before.

 

Taehyung feels him tense up.  He looks down, concerned.  "Baby, are you okay?"

 

He assures him with a smile.  "I'm fine, let's just go."  

 

Jungkook can tell the other doesn't believe him, but Taehyung lets it go anyway.  

 

"Alright," he says.  "I'm going to try to wake us up.  It'll take a while."  He closes his eyes.

 

Jungkook doesn't doesn't really understand much of what Taehyung said, but he nods anyway.  

 

It's quiet for a moment, the he hears the voice again.  Wait, it repeats, stronger this time.  Don't go.  You're better off here.  

 

He nearly scoffs.  Oh, sure, he definitely is, especially after almost dying twice.

 

Oh, and the boy is a better option?  How can you be so sure he won't leave you again?  He could do it right this instant.  You'd be alone here yet again.  The voice pauses.  Well, not completely alone.  I'd be here. 

 

Doubt worms its way into Jungkook's mind.  The voice has a point.  Taehyung left him so easily the first time, like it was nothing.  He shudders.

 

"Almost there, baby, we're nearly there, hang on," he hears Taehyung say.  He can tell the other is getting tired- his arms are starting to tremble.  But he still holds Jungkook close.  

 

Jungkook stares up into Taehyung's face and feels a rush of warmth course through his body.  His mind is full of fragmented memories of them together but they're enough for him to know he trusts Taehyung.  He won't stay, he decides.  How could he, when they could be together somewhere else?

 

The empty space around them starts to shimmer as Taehyung concentrates.  Light starts to pour in from somewhere above them, causing Jungkook to squint.  

 

He spots a shape hovering a few yards above them, made visible by the light.  It's a hooded figure, swathed completely in black.  It's head is bowed, and in its hand it clutches a long, thin rod, topped by a gleaming, curved blade.  

 

This is who the voice belongs to, Jungkook realizes suddenly.  

 

The figure raises its cloaked head in his direction.  Below its hood blazes two small points of red light.  They stare at him like eyes, and Jungkook finds that he can't look away.  

 

The robed figure shakes its head slowly, as if disappointed.  So, you're going after all.  It was amusing while it lasted.  

 

Jungkook stares at the figure, angry.  An amusement? That's what he is to it?  

 

Well, congratulations, today is not the day you die.  But it's bound to happen someday, the figure sighs. f wait a few more decades.  

 

It turns and begins to glide away, raising one bony hand in a silent farewell.  

 

Until then, Jeon Jungkook.  

 

And suddenly Jungkook is enveloped in a light so bright, he's forced to close his eyes.  He cans hear a voice shouting something- it's Taehyung's.  

 

Then everything goes black.  

 

 

 

 

The first thing Jungkook sees when he opens his eyes is white- 

 

white walls, white curtains, white everything.  

 

The second is the bed he's lying on, which also white, and his clothes.  He's wearing an ivory hospital gown.  A white bracelet is secured snugly to his wrist.  He reaches up to touch his head, and discovers he's wearing a helmet of some sort.  

 

The third thing he sees is the face of a smiling young woman hovering over him. She's dressed in a white lab coat and holds a small notepad in her hands. She must be a doctor, Jungkook realizes.

 

"Jeon Jungkook." Her voice is light and musical.  Jungkook decides he likes it right away. "My name is Kim Jisoo . "Welcome back to the land of the living."

 

"Where-" he pauses, coughing, before continuing. "Where am I?"

 

He winces at the raspy sound of his voice, but Dr. Kim doesn't even blink.

 

"You're in the hospital," she answers.  "You probably don't remember much now, but everything should come back to you in a couple of days."

 

The hospital?  "Oh, yeah, the accident, right?"

 

"So you do remember something, at least.  "Interesting.."  Dr. Kim purses her lips thoughtfully, fishing a pen out of her pocket to scribble a note to herself on her notepad.   he   another hospital bed, identical to his own, on the other side of the room.  The figure in the bed is wearing the same helmet as him.  From under it Jungkook can spot tufts of light blonde hair.  

 

His heart skips a beat.  

 

Taehyung.

 

The doctor chuckles at his expression.  "I'll leave you two alone to have some alone time before your friends and family arrive."  

 

Jungkook waits until the door swings shut behind Dr. Kim before he sits up, pulling off the helmet.  It's surprisingly light, made of a shiny material he can't identify.  He stands and disconnects himself from the machines by his bed before running over to the other bed.  

 

He gazes at Taehyung.  His eyes are closed.  his chest rises and falls with his breathing as he sleeps.  

 

Jungkook brushes a lock of hair out of Taehyung's face.  Leaning down, he kisses him once before drawing back.

 

"Hyung," he calls softly.  "Wake up."  

 

Taehyung stirs slightly. He opens one eye, then the other, staring at Jungkook with a small grin.  

 

"Hey," he whispers.

 

Jungkook returns the smile.  "Hey."

 

"You're awake."

 

Jungkook lets out a light laugh. "I am."  

 

Taehyung chuckles, sitting up suddenly.  He tugs at Jungkook's arm and the other complies, climbing into the bed to sit beside him.  

 

Warm arms wrap around Jungkook and he sighs contentedly into the other's chest as he hugs back.

 

"It's been so long since I held you like this," the older murmurs. He runs his fingers through the younger's hair in a way that makes Jungkook feel warm and sleepy. "Too long."

 

Jungkook is filled with too many questions to quietly enjoy the moment, though, so after a pause, he speaks up.

 

"Hyung," he ventures, raising his head to look at the elder's face. "Can you tell me what happened?"

 

He waits patiently until Taehyung takes a deep breath, and begins to tell the story.

 

"It was a Friday night," he begins quietly. "I had just dropped you off back at your apartment. We had gone to that movie you had really wanted to see. You were talking about it the whole way to your apartment," he remembers, smiling at the memory. "It was cute, how excited you were."

 

Embarrassed, Jungkook pokes the older in the stomach. "Move on, please. What happened after that?"

 

"Well," sighs Taehyung, "I went home, and around midnight I got a call saying that you had been in a accident and were in the hospital." I called everyone and told them before I rushed over. There was so much traffic, it took me over an hour to get there."

 

"They let me see you as soon as I got there. At first I was relieved. The doctor told me that you had had no serious injuries besides a broken rib, a broken broken leg and a concussion and that you should have been in a much worse state. He told me that you would wake up in a couple of hours, so I stayed with you." His voice breaks. "All night. And the next day. And the next. But you never woke up." He blinks, eyes watering.

 

Squeezing Taehyung's hand comfortingly, Jungkook prompts him to continue with the story. "How long was I out for?" He asks quietly.

 

"Three months. None of the doctors understood why. Things just kept getting worse and worse." He shook his head. "We all were so scared, Kook. All the doctors made it pretty clear that you weren't going to make it." He pauses. "Well, all except one. Doctor Kim. She told me that there might be a way to save you, but it was risky. I agreed. At that point, I was willing to to anything to save you.

 

"She explained to me that there was a small possibility that something was keeping you from waking up, and also slowly killing you. She had a prototype of a device that would allow me to go to- to wherever you were, and try and wake you up. The catch was that if you died, I'd die with you." Taehyung shrugged. "I said yes to everything, signed a few waivers, and then they bought us both in here and hooked us up. I think you know what happened after that."

 

Jungkook lets out a huge sigh and shakes his head. "That's..wow. Just..wow."

 

Taehyung chuckles drily. "Yeah."

 

"But you, you were so stupid, hyung. You could have died too."

 

"But I didn't," counters Taehyung, "And now you're back, safe and sound."

 

Jungkook giggles. "Fair enough."

 

"God, I love your laugh.  I missed it," breathes the older, pressing a kiss to his cheek.  "I missed you." He kisses his nose, the sensation forcing another giggle out of the younger boy.  "Don't ever leave me like that again, Kook."  

 

Jungkook hums, leaning in to capture Taehyung's lips.  "I'll definitely try."  

 

Taehyung's are soft and just as addicting as he remembers, making Jungkook feel breathless and dizzy.  Jungkook kisses him back with equal eagerness, threading his fingers through the older boy's blonde hair to draw him closer.  Feeling a nip to his bottom lip he opens his mouth, softly as Taehyung's toungue slips into his mouth.  

 

When they finally break apart for air, Taehyung gives him a small push that has him falling back onto the mattress.  Taehyung hovers over him, his lips swollen and his hair messy.  He looks down at Jungkook with a smile, bringing a hand up to caress his cheek.  

 

"I love you," he whispers.

 

Jungkook smiles back.  "I love you too."  

 

Taehyung is bending down to kiss him again when the door flies open.  Excited voices fill the room, but go silent at the scene before them.  Startled, Jungkook turns his head towards the sound.  Nine faces fill the doorway, nine familiar faces he knows all too well.  He can feel tears welling up in his eyes as he gazes at his friends and family.  

 

"Should we come back later?" asks Hoseok.  He's holding a takeout bag, which would definitely have Jungkook's full attention if he wasn't so happy to see everyone.   

 

Namjoon fidgets, looking uncomfortable.  "Maybe we should come back later."  The rest of the group nod their agreement and begin to leave.  

 

Jungkook flushes and scrambles into a sitting position, Taehyung doing the same.  "No!  Don't go, please."  

 

The group stops, and Jungkook's mother is the first to rush forward, enveloping him in a tight hug.  "My little Jungkookie," she cries into his shoulder.  "You're okay, I was so worried."

 

"We all were," adds his father, with tears in his own eyes.  He encircles his arms around the two of them.  "We're all happy you're safe, son."  

 

Jungkook feels tears streaming down his cheeks.  He smiles, heart clenching.  He hugs his parents back, drawing them close.    

 

His mother and father release him and Mrs. Jeon dabs at her eyes before turning to Taehyung.  "And thank you so much, Taehyung, for saving him."  She gives him an equally tight hug.  "I knew my son chose the right one."

 

"I don't think we can ever repay you," says his father.  "Without you, our Jungkook could be- well- " he stops, clearing his throat.  "You know what I mean."

 

Taehyung nods his understanding.  "You don't need to thank me for anything.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I needed to."

 

Jungkook's mother lets go of him, and she and her husband turn to leave.  "We'll leave the rest of you alone while we go speak to the doctor, okay?"  

 

As soon as they leave Jungkook's hyungs converge on him, speaking all at once.  Jimin and Seokjin get to him first, nearly suffocating him with their hugs.

 

"Jungkook," cries Jimin, clinging onto him like a koala.  "You're awake, you're finally awake!"  

 

"How are you feeling?" asks Seokjin anxiously.  "Does your head hurt?  Does anything hurt?"

 

Jungkook laughs, feeling a fresh new wave of tears rolling down his cheeks.  "I'm fine, Jin hyung," he assures him.  "Never better."

 

Namjoon squeezes his shoulder, giving him a warm smile.  "He's just worried.  After the accident.." he swallows and looks away momentarily.  "We all were.  We still are."

 

"You got that right."  Hoseok joins the conversation, coming up on Jungkook's right.  He's no longer holding the plastic bag, and he can see that he's placed the food on a table near the window.  "You scared us, Kook."  He leans in and envelopes him in a warm hug.  

 

Jungkook can't stop smiling as his hyungs shower him with affection and questions, resting his head on Taehyung's shoulder as they circle around the hospital bed.  But something doesn't feel right to him- almost as if someone's missing.  

 

Then it hits him, and he sits straight up eyes, searching the room.  

 

"Where's Yoongi hyung?"

 

Jimin and Taehyung exchange a glance.  Jimin sighs, and takes a seat on the hospital bed on Jungkook' s left.  "Kook," he begins gently, "how much do you remember from the day of the accident?"

 

Jungkook furrows his brow.  "Not much," he admits.  "I remember arguing with someone, then leaving, a pair of headlights..and then-"  He cuts off, hesitant to share more details with his friends.  "And then..I woke up here."

 

"The person you were arguing with was Yoongi," says Namjoon.  

 

Jungkook blinks.  "What?" 

 

"According to a neighbor, they heard yelling coming from your apartment, and then a door slamming, as if some had left.  We assume the person who left was you."  Namjoon shrugs.  "That's all we know for sure.  After we heard about your accident, Yoongi clammed up.  He wouldn't talk to us about what happened or even look at us.  He wouldn't even visit you.  I think he blames himself."  

 

"What?  No!" protests Jungkook, fervently shaking his head.  "None of this is his fault!  Where is he?"

 

"In the lobby, but you should probably stay here until the doctor-"

 

Jungkook dashes out of the hospital room, letting the door slam loudly behind him as he rushes through.  

 

"-says you can leave," finishes Namjoon with a sigh.  

 

The harsh slap, slap, slap of Jungkook's bare feet against the hospital's white linoleum floor echoes through the empty hallway as he sprints down it, head whipping back and forth frantically as he searches for the sign leading to the lobby.  

 

Where is it, where is- ah!

 

His eyes land on a small hanging arrow-shaped sign pointing the way towards the lobby and he takes a sharp left.  

 

Bright white lights replace dim, flickering ones, and carpet replaces gray tile as Jungkook finds himself in a spacious sitting room, completely empty save for a semicircle of chairs  and the lone figure in a black hoodie leaning against the wall.  

 

Yoongi?

 

"Hyung?" he calls out softly, cautiously.  "Yoongi hyung?"

 

Slowly, the boy raises his head, and Jungkook finds himself staring into a well of emotions when their eyes meet- surprise, sadness, worry, relief, and most of all, guilt.  

 

There's so, so much guilt in Yoongi's tired eyes.  Jungkook feels almost crushed by the heaviness in those dark brown orbs, his own heart giving a twinge of pain as he forces himself to hold the other's gaze.  

 

"Hyung," he repeats, stepping towards him.  "Hyung, I-"

 

"Don't."

 

Yoongi's voice is rough and cracks at the edges, like it hasn't been used in a long, long time.  But the fear in it is still as clear as ever.  

 

"Hyung.."  Jungkook takes another step, then another and another, until he's standing right in front of the older.  "None of this is your fault, you know that?"

 

The other doesn't answer, but looks away, staring down at his tattered converse.  

 

"Hyung.  It wasn't you who caused the accident.  You didn't force me in front of that car-"

 

"But I might as well have, Jungkook!"  Yoongi yells, the sound echoing through the empty room.  He looks up again, eyes filled with tears.  "I might as well have."

 

"Oh, hyung," Jungkook whispers.  He steps forward and wraps his arms around the older boy, rocking back and forth as Yoongi breaks down, crying quietly into his hospital gown.  "Shh, don't cry, you'll make me start to cry again, too."

 

"None of this would have happened if I had kept my mouth shut," the older sobs.  "We weren't even arguing about anything important, just your curfew.  I should have went after you when you ran out, but I didn't, and now-"

 

"Stop," orders Jungkook, feeling his own tears fall.  "The only reason I got hit was because I was angry, irrational, and wasn't paying attention, okay?  I know we probably both said things we regret and we both need to forgive each other.  And anyway," he adds, "I'm just happy to see you again, hyung.  I didn't-"  He swallows.  "I really didn't think I would."

 

He feels Yoongi nod against his chest, and then the older pulls away, wiping at his eyes.  "I..I wasn't sure either.  But."  Yoongi raises he's head, giving him a tired, but happy smile.  "You really pulled through."

 

"Aww," comes Seokjin's coo from behind them.  The two turn and see the rest of the boys standing in the doorway, watching them with teary smiles.  

 

"I'm so glad you two made up!" Seokjin cries, throwing his arms around the both of them. 

 

"Is this a group hug?  Can I join?" requests Jimin, wiggling his way in between the three.  

 

Group hug!"  cheers Hoseok, wrapping his arms around as much of the group as he could manage, and Namjoon following suits on the other side.  

 

Something warm presses against Jungkook's back and he glanced behind him to see Taehyung leaning against him with a smile.  

 

Jungkook smiles back, a smile so wide it almost hurts.  He surveys his laughing group of friends, feeling happiness course through his body.  

 

"This is.." he says, barely a whisper, more to himself than anyone else.  "This is so nice."

 

"What is it, baby?" asks Taehyung, staring at him inquisitively. "Something you want to say?"

 

Jungkook opens his mouth to reply, but then closes it again with a shake of his head.  He may never really find the right words to express how grateful he is to be alive, how happy he is at having a second chance at life.  You truly never know what you have until it's gone, and it took everything being ripped away from him to finally realize it.  

 

So he makes a promise to himself, to live every day as if it's his last- to the fullest, and with no regrets.  

 

"Kook?" Taehyung prods gently.  

 

"It's nothing," Jungkook finally replies, reaching for his boyfriend's hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze.  

 

"I'm just happy to be alive."

 

 

 

 

the end.

 

 

 

 

 

__________

4k words wowow

Congratulations if you reached the end of this long oneshot with the tiest ending in town! 

And in case you found it confusing, here's an explanation:

After his date with Taehyung, Jungkook went home.  It was past his curfew by then.  Yoongi, his cousin and roommate got angry at him for getting home so late and not respecting the curfew, Jungkook got angry too and yelled back, and it turned into a full-scale argument.  

Jungkook left, slamming the door behind him.  But he was so angry he didn't look where he was going and didn't notice the car coming as he crossed the street.  

Later in the hospital, he's basically fine, but the doctors are confused as to why he's not waking up.  Jungkook, on the other hand, is experiencing strange things and situations in his coma, cumulating in the drowning episode.  You know the rest after that- Taehyung comes, saves him, all that .  

Basically the cloaked being- call it whatever you wants- is a spirit of death, and Jungkook was just the poor soul it decided to amuse itself with for a while before killing him.  

The doctor, Jisoo, had a prototype of a neurological device that allowed Taehyung to go to wherever Jungkook was- almost like he was going inside Jungkook's head?

Anyway, he saved Jungkook, went back, reunited with everyone until they died for real.  

 

That was long af but hopefully clears stuff up if anything was confusing

 

hope u enjoyed! (。・ω・。)ノ♡