~001~

Mysterious Mole

“This isn’t right”, I muttered, sighing. I had too many baby hairs sticking out of the wig cap. For the part hour, I have had several unsuccessful attempts in pushing them under my cap.”YARGHHH”, I groaned pulling it off my head in frustration. The cap lay on the table with a few of my real hairs sticking out, but that was the least of my concern at the moment. My head was filled with thoughts anticipating the night ahead.  Calming myself, I tried it on again taking a deep breath and pushing the nervousness to the back of my head. “Heyjin!! You must do this”, I muttered whilst successfully assembling the wig on my head. The phone on my desk buzzed throwing me off track. ‘15min’ , it read. I sighed and looking up to the mirror. Clothed in black from head to toe enhanced the paleness of my skin making me seem like a bloodthirsty vampire.  Biting my lip for the nth time that night, I put on a cap over my wig. My swollen red lips were in no way helping me attenuate my vampire look, I thought covering it with a face mask. Zipping up my hoodie, I stared at my eyes feeling my frightened soul when the sound of a familiar honk sent my heart racing throwing my off the edge. I cursed under my breath grabbing my phone and keys and headed down.

“Woaaah!! You really do look like a guy” he said giggling as I got in the van. “YAAAH Oppa!! Stop mocking me. I can already feel my soul away.” I retorted, highly annoyed. “Okay !! Okay!! Sorry!! Now. Listen to me. Take a deep breath and close your eyes.” He replied. I obliged silently without any questions. “Okay!!” he said signalling me top open my eye. “This” he said pointing at a metal capsule attached to the end my hoodie string “is a highly sensitive microphone. “Now for the final touch” he said pulling me into a hug. “Your safety is the highest priority here.” he whispered breaking off the hug and kissing my forehead. “Do you remember the trial session?? Follow it. If at all anything unusual happens, just bring the microphone to your mouth and say ‘Chicken’. Dont worry, its highly sensitive, even a whisper shall be amplified.” He muttered smiling.  I just nodded my head in agreement as he stepped on the accelerator.

For those of you who are confused, let me brief you as we drive through. Myself Park Hye Jin. The one who is driving me? No .. He isn’t my boyfriend. He is my brother. I know the term ‘Oppa’ is confusing, but hey he is my brother Officer Park Si Hyun. You heard it right. He is an officer at Gyeonggi Province. Probably someone who would most likely be called ‘Crazy Dog’ by his mates. One of the top notch officers who sniffs the criminals easily. Our parents passed away a year ago and since then it has just been the two of us. I am a college student, Hanyang University. I was a candidate eligible for Seoul National University, but my parent’s death had been a huge blow, enough to drain my final exam marks. But hey, am still happy with this. Right now, we are in an undercover operation. A huge drug racket has surfaced Seoul once again. Being the kings of their profession, they knew almost every officer in and around. I happened to overhead a conversation my brother had over phone and found myself as a part of it. Although, my brother was against this idea, I persuaded him eventually. Yes, police should never involve civilians into any case, but this one was a delicate one where none of them could take part. This is an undercover operation where we act like drug dealer, to pull them into a bait to find out a few key members of the gang. It was a top secret between the members of my brother’s team. An operation which had no approval of the higher officials and hence I had all the more pressure not to blow it up.

The van screeched to a halt a few meters from our destination. I sat there gripping on the seat belt, breathing hard. “Hyejin aah Fighting” a voice said. I turned to face one of my brother’s teammates peeking through the tiny widow from the back of the van. “Take Care”, another voice said.”Yeah. Thank You.” I whispered as my brother pulled me into a soft hug. I got off the van and walked down the narrow lane for sometime before spotting the location. The bag in my hand was starting to tug on my fingers. It was heavy. I know nothing of its contents but it was what I was exchanging for drugs. Soon, an abandoned construction site came into view. With metal bars and bricks hanging loosely adding to my creeps, I gulped nervously at it for it seemed like a perfect murder location. I was stopped at the entrance by a man dressed in black like me.  He ripped off my face mask and flashed the torchlight at my face. “No” he muttered on the phone, probably to his boss. “Password”, he ordered. “Polar Star”, I said in a low voice trying to sound as manly as possible. He ran his hands all over my body searching for some lethal weapons, I guess. “!!”, I thought when his arms touched my bandaged chest. But thankfully, I wasn’t blown yet. He nodded and I resumed walking. “Wait”, he sounded. I halted, nervously clenching my fists, feeling a figure walking up to me. “Did my cover blow already?” I thought praying hard. “You left this”, he said handing me my keys. I smiled nervously, taking the keys with trembling hands. Thankfully, I left my phone back in the van. He then let me pass. I walked further as my eyes searched for the red colour cross mark, the point of exchange. I spotted it after walking around a bit but it was devoid of any human nearby. My ears searched, soon landing on a human standing by the corner leaning against the wall with a bag; THE BAG. I walked over and tapped on the wall next to him. He turned back and scanned me head to toe before kicking the bag in my direction. I couldn’t see his face as it was covered in facemask and sunglasses but he could see mine against the faint flicker of light as my facemask had been ripped off at the entrance revealing my identity. I just knelt down, opened the bag to check the contents. It seemed exactly like how my brother described, tiny capsules filled with blue crystals. Closing my eyes, I gently pushed the bag I had towards him. Zipping up the drug bag, I got up ready to walk back to safety. “Mission Accomplished”, I thought walking away.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP the alarm sounded making me jump. This wasn’t called for. What the hell happened? Before my mind could comprehend the situation, I heard gun shots. “!!”  I muttered running towards a shady corner to hide. I tugged on my hoodie strings lifting the damned microphone to my mouth, “Chicken!! Chicken!!” I whispered making sure not to give away my hideout but it didn’t seem to make any effect. “CHICKEN”, I said making it louder this time. The gun shots started inching closer towards my direction.”!! Did they find me?” I thought crouching and trembling in a corner with bag on one hand and microphone on other. All of a sudden a hand cupped my mouth pulling me backward in the process. I found myself being held captive with one arm my waist while other the cupped my mouth. I struggled hard to break free but he was too strong. I took a deep breath, flexed my muscles, lifted my foot and with one swift motion stepped on his toe while simultaneously using my elbow to strike his solar plexus. His grip loosened as he whimpered in pain. I took the opportunity to sprint ahead distancing myself from the capturer. I hid behind another wall I stumbled upon in the darkness calming my breath.I looked down as my mouth gapes open with shock. THE BAG!!!!! !!!!!! I thought. I looked around to find it next to my capturer, who by now was up on his feet. BAG or HIDE!! I HAD TO DECIDE NOW. Another shot sounded breaking my contemplation. “AISHHHH!!” I muttered before running back towards the bag. The bullets could be heard everywhere by now. With no clue what was happening, I ran around like a maniac.THE BAG WAS IMPORTANT FOR ME. If I run away like a coward, then all of this would be a waste, I thought. Grabbing the , I turned to run away when an arm grabbed my wrist pulling me as a bullet grazed my arm. I felt seeing pain as blood oozed from my upper arm. Unable to scream, I bit his arm instead. “Idiot”, he muttered grinding his own teeth in pain. I was feeling suffocated by now. All the running, nervousness and blood loss had made my body long for more oxygen but the tight bandage around my chest was preventing me from breathing hard. I started to grow dizzy and fell back in his arms. Sweat was dripping down my forehead profusely and I knew my end was near. “Sorry Oppa”, I muttered before fainting.

MY eyes fluttered open. It was all dazed, I could see nothing clearly. I was gasping for breath. My vision cleared slightly, to see a man looking down at me. “Thank god”, he muttered. “Was I saved? Where was I??Did brother find me??” my mind was exploding with multiple questions. My arm still ached like heck. I felt my eyes blurring once again. I felt movement around me. “Where we travelling ??” Was I kidnapped??”I thought. My head ached like hell. I stirred as my vision cleared a bit. I found myself in the backseat of a car. I turned to face a familiar man. Wait!! Was my head resting on his lap?? !! I tried getting up but my head felt too heavy. “ARE YOU ALRIGHT??” he said. My vision started to clear a bit. I could only see a pair of eyes looking down at me worriedly. “Who are you?” escaped my lips. “Shhh”, he said placing a finger on my lips. His face mask was still on and I could only see those eyes. We were speeding by, I didn’t know who he was. But his eyes were not frightening. Infact they were warm. I kept staring at his face. The streetlights reflected on his face revealing something more this time - moles; across his right side like a constellation. My lips curled up automatically. What was I thinking?? I don’t know. But all I knew was that I wasn’t afraid anymore. My head felt heavy again as my eyes started to drop. I felt someone pulling me closer, someone warm, someone I was not afraid of.