1/2: The Admission

Best of Me

Hello, my name is Jungkook. My eomma is hurting so much right now, because my appa has been drinking a lot and threatening her. She was so scared for me, she really didn't want me to get hurt, so she decided to leave me here. Please look after me well. Also, happy birthday to me, kekekeke.

-Jungkookie

 

 "Oh man.." Mumbled a small four year old Jimin. His mother, who ran this anonymous baby drop box center, was currently in the next room tending to a newborn who still had quite a bit of their umbilical cord attached to them. "I can't jus't leave him here. I'll bring him to eomma." Jimin said to himself. He carefully picked up the large chubby cheeked baby and hugged the small being to his chest. He wobbled carefully into the next room. "EOMMA, THERE'S ANOTHER BABY!" Jimin exclaimed, maybe a little bit too loudly, because the baby in his arms began to fuss. Mrs. Park quickly took the little one from Jimin and began to comfort him. 

 "Jiminie, you can't be so loud." She scolded. Jimin bowed his head.

 "I'm sorry eomma. There was also a letter." He said much more quietly, holding up the piece of parchment. Reading over it, a grim loom came over her face. 

 "Ah I see, go get your appa and tell him to call Mr. Lee." Jimin nodded and ran off to find his father. Several of the nurses glanced over at the baby and everyone knew who's it was. Jeon Jae Eun was known in this neighborhood as the young girl who married too early and didn't realize how easily she and her husband could fall into debt. Three years ago she had a son, which her husband didn't like very much at all . When word spread about he falling pregnant yet again, peoplen worried for her safety and for her second son. Three months before he was born, her husband lost his job and had to start doing janitor service to pay the bills. Not long after, he started drinking and became physically abusive to both her and her first son. Everyone knew this baby was her's, because it was a spitting image of his father. Whatever happened to her, no one really knows. She stopped going to her church, her husband left Busan to go see his parents in Daegu and never returned. Her first son was left at a police station and was transported to a distant relative who lived in Hong Kong. No one knows why, but for some reason, no one would take the little baby Jungkook. Excuses ranged from not having enough money or space, to being afraid of the father finding out and coming to hurt them. Nonetheless, he needed a home. And only one family dared to let him in.

Five years later..

 "Eomma, why does Taemin get to have two scoops and I only get one?" Jungkook whined.

 "You're still very little, Kookie. When you get older you will be able to handle more ice cream." Mrs. Lee said. Jungkook pouted. 

 "I can have THREE scoops when I go to the Park house, and they let us play at the playground for way longer. Why can't I just live with them?" 

 "You're so ungrateful, eomma why did we even take him?" Taemin said, crossing his arms. 

 "Taemin, don't say that!" Mrs. Lee scolded, awkwardly straightening out her dress. 

 "Eomma, what does he mean take?" Jungkook questioned.

 "She means that you were adopted." Taemin hissed, glaring at Jungkook.

 "TAEMIN." Mrs. Lee whispered harshly. Jungkook huffed, turning up his nose. 

 "I don't even care."

At the Park house..

 "A-and he said I was a-adopted? T-that isn't true..is it?" Jungkook said through tearful hiccups. Jimin petted Jungkook's head which was rested on his thigh. 

 "Kookie, I..I'm sure he didn't mean it. Don't worry. And even if you were adopted they still love you, so it doesn't matter if you aren't technically related to them." Jimin said carefully. Jungkook sniffed and wiped his face on Jimin's pants. "Do you want banana milk?" Jimin asked. Jungkook raised his face and it instantly looked way happier. He hugged Jimin and looked up into his hyung's face.

 "Yes please." Jungkook said brightly. They spent the rest of that afternoon laughing together and goofing off. It was that day that Jimin decided once and for all to protect Jungkook no matter what. Little did he know, Jungkook had decided that he wanted to protect his best friend as well.

Time skip...

 "Wah, Jungkook, you are soooo handsome. Can I take you out to eat?" Jungkook sighed. This was the third time today someone had asked him out on a date. 

 "Well, I'm already having lunch with Jiwoo, and after that I'm going to see a movie with Ara, so I guess if you're okay with meeting up at night we can go for barbeque." The girl in front of him smiled brightly. 

 "Okay, I'll see you then!" Before walking off happily to join her friends. Yugeuom looked strangely at Jungkook.

 "Why do you take so many girls out and yet you have never had a real girlfriend. You barely even touch them, do you even see them as girls?" He asked, placing a hand on Jungkook's shoulder.

 "I do, it's just I'm not that interested in them. I'm interested in the fact that I don't have to spend any money on them. In fact, they buy every thing for me. And as you know, I'm the most important guy at this school." Jungkook boasted.  Yugeom rolled his eyes.

 "Just wait, breaking all these girls' hearts is going to come back and bite you. When you finally like someone they're gonna break your heart." He said jokingly.

 "Oh, I'm sooo scared." Jungkook said. 

 "Yah, Jimin. What's up?" Jungkook turned his head and saw Taemin walk up to Jimin and sling an arm around his shoulder. "Let's play pool tonight, my house." Jungkook turned away, sticking his tongue into his cheek with annoyance.

After his three "dates"

 Jungkook arrived home around nine, much to his "mother's" disapproval. He didn't hear Taemin downstairs, so he assumed Jimin had already left. He sulked upstairs to his shared room. 

 "What's your issue?" Taemin asked, looking up from his laptop. Jungkook didn't respond and only glared at Taemin. "What, don't tell me you're mad that Jimin came to hang out with me. You chose to go out with those girls. I'm sure you had fun." Jungkook still didn't say anything. He removed his jacket and threw it angrily at his bed. Taemin looked up from his laptop again before closing it and setting it aside. 

 "What's wrong? I know I act like an sometimes but I'm still your hyung. You need to tell me what's wrong." Jungkook scoffed.

 "What ever happed to me being adopted?" He questioned mockingly, his back turned to Taemin as he rummaged through his closet. Taemin furrowed his brow.

 "You still remember that?" He asked. Jungkook chuckled softly. "You know that I regret telling you about that. I was just being stupid and upset."

 "No, I don't know that you regret it." Taemin got up from his bed and walked over to Jungkook, putting a hand on his shoulder to turn him around. Jungkook had tears streaming down his cheeks. He pushed Taemin back. "For years, I have wanted nothing more than to find my real family. They wouldn't mock me and make me feel like nothing. Don't pretend like you care. And to add insult to injury, I hate how you take everything from me. Jimin is mine, you hear me? Mine!" He said, more angry tears spilling down his cheeks. 

 "I..I'm sorry." Taemin said softly. Jungkook heaved, sniffing and hiccuping. He let out more sobs, but they sounded more hurt than angry. Taemin walked forward and hugged Jungkook, holding the back of Jungkook's head while petting his hair comfortingly. Jungkook sank to his knees and Taemin sat on the floor with him, not saying a word.

 "Miyeon asked me out, and when we went to barbeque she asked if she could be my girlfriend. When I told her no she did something no one else has ever done. She called me out for being such an arrogant and leading her on. She saif that she hopes if I ever confess to someone that they reject me." Jungkook finally admitted after spending half an hour on the floor. Taemin hummed in acknowledgement.

 "Do you like Jimin?" He asked. Jungkook nodded, resting his head against Taemin's chest. "Why can't you tell him?" He asked.

 "Because, he won't accept me. Besides, we're supposed to be best friends, I don't want to ruin anything." Jungkook mumbles.

 "Well, maybe you could try hanging out more, and see how he reacts. You never know, maybe he does like you." Taemin suggests. Jungkook sighs.

 "I guess I could give it a shot. Thanks Taemin-hyung." Taemin smiles at Jungkook.

 "Anytime, now get off me, you made my shirt all wet, you big baby." Jungkook pouts before breaking out into a big grin.