un (i)

honey drip and tattooed lips

Nestled in one of the city’s backstreets was its most famous tattoo parlor: Perfect Ten Tattoos & Piercings. It didn’t appear to be anything special from the outside, or even like a tattoo parlor. It was bright and well-kept, flowers dotted around in innumerable pots and vases, in all colors and in every nook and cranny. To anyone not looking hard enough, it looked like a small townhouse: the expertly placed flowers and trimmed vines snaking up the elegant and cottage-y beige exterior of the shop gave it a homey look.

 

The shop owner was just as sweet and warm as the exterior of the shop. Son Seungwan, or Wendy, as her clients called her, was the 20-something woman who owned Perfect Ten. The shop was entirely staffed by women, and was proud to be a safe haven for people of all ualities, genders, religions, races, and ethnicities. Wendy lived for free expression, and that showed in the way she ran her shop, and in the quality of her work.

 

Perfect Ten had a difficult start-up, however. Wendy, with long dirty blonde hair, and bangs that framed her doe eyes, didn’t exactly scream “edge” in the way that most tattoo artists did. She also had no tattoos. She claimed that she gained more in being an artist than being a canvas, and this was very odd to the prospective clients that walked in and walked out time after time. Wendy was an amazing artist though, and thankfully her workers were more than willing to be a testament to her intricate and time-consuming pieces.

 

Her only three staff, Park “Joy” Sooyoung, Kang Seulgi, and Kim “Yeri” Yerim were long-time friends of Wendy’s, and more than willing to work with her. Joy and Seulgi were also resident tattoo artists, but Yeri was their only piercer on staff. Wendy can still remember the conversation she had with Yeri the day before she started her piercing apprenticeship:

 

“Ok listen Wendy I know it’s not what you expected but-”

 

“Yerim. You can’t just be a piercer because you want to stab people for a living.” Wendy quipped back.

 

Yeri could only laugh in reply, knowing that Wendy was spot-on in her brash comment.

 

Wendy and her friends had all enjoyed singing and dancing together when they were younger, and Wendy wanted to incorporate their love of performance into their jobs somehow, as all 4 women were truly creative powerhouses. So naturally, Wendy had splurged on a small stage at the back of the parlor, so that when there was a break in clientele (which was rare these days) any of her employees could go and perform.

 

This was unheard of for most of Wendy’s clients, but the unusual addition of the stage, and the calming ballads that she liked to sing, helped to soothe her customers. Wendy was known for her ballads, Joy for her enthusiastic (and almost karaoke like) renditions of well known pop songs, Seulgi for her powerful and moving dances, and Yeri for her original compositions that she tailored to fit the shop day by day.

 

Perfect Ten had no bad reviews on Yelp, and had a virtually untainted image both in the tattoo community and in the city. That was until Irene walked in one night, however.

 

 

It was 11:55 p.m. when Irene, looking much less than sober, opened the doors to Perfect Ten. The shop had closed at 10 p.m., but all the employees were having an impromptu karaoke session to celebrate the end of the week, and the massive amount of tips they’d all been receiving.

 

“Hello? Does anyone WORK here?” Irene slurred from the door, her knuckles white from gripping onto the handle harshly.

 

Joy loudly wolf whistled as they all turned to face the tipsy but gorgeous woman at the door. Long black hair draped over her shoulders, and her chiseled cheeks were rosy from the apparent alcohol she had been drinking. She was wearing a short and rather revealing sequined dress that hugged her body well. To say she was the most beautiful woman Wendy had ever seen was an understatement, despite her rather frazzled looking and inebriated state.

 

Wendy and Seulgi slapped Joy in unison, blushing at her forwardness, while Yeri only laughed along and high-fived Joy.

 

“Uh.. Yes we all work here ma’am, but we’re actually closed right now!” Wendy chirped.

 

“Clo-oosed?” The woman said, hiccuping between syllables.

 

Wendy walked towards the woman and extended her hand. “Yes we are, but I’m Wendy, and if you come in sober I promise you’ll have the best tattooing experience of your life!”

 

The woman broke eye contact with Wendy to glare at her outstretched hand, disgust masking her features.

 

“Oh I see.. You don’t serve people like me huh? You don’t like GAY people?” The woman said, her voice dripping with venom.

 

Wendy’s face blanched and she immediately began stuttering “U-uh that is, uh far from the case.. I myself am… g-gay!” She finally replied. “Actually, all of them are… “ Wendy said, pointing to the 3 women laughing at the most awkward and fumbling conversation they had ever seen.

 

“Please, I promise if you come back later this week I’ll make sure you have an excellent experience, but now is not the time. What’s your name miss? I’ll call you a taxi and make sure you get home safe.” Wendy added, finally composing herself.

 

“Irene.” She sighed, and slumped into one of the chairs in the waiting room. She was clearly tired, so a blushing and extremely flustered Wendy went behind the counter and called a cab for her.

 

Twenty minutes had passed until a cab had finally arrived at the doors of Perfect Ten. Wendy lightly tapped the sleeping and drooling Irene, startling her in the process.

 

“HEY!” she shrieked, slapping Wendy in her shock.

 

“Hey, HEY! Calm down! It’s Wendy… your cab is here.” Wendy squeaked out, trying to pacify a rather shocked and rowdy Irene.

 

“Oh.. Okay. Thanks for NOTHING.” Irene replied, grabbing her purse in a rude fashion and storming out the door before Wendy could even reply, nonetheless her to the cab.

 

Irene lightly tripped on her way out of the store, stumbling awkwardly to the cab. Thankfully Wendy had paid over the phone, because she had a feeling that Irene would be too drunk to fish money out of her purse, or even stay awake for the ride.

 

Wendy sighed loudly as she watched the cab pull away.

 

“Well that was something huh!” Joy said “Man you’re already head over heels for her Seungwan.” she added, laughing loudly to herself.

 

“That was nice of you, Wan.” Seulgi replied, placing her hand on Wendy’s shoulder and squeezing it lightly.

 

“Yeah it was nice, but you know she did it to get laid!” Yeri remarked.

 

“Go HOME Yeri, please! You’re giving me a headache.” Wendy said, lightly slapping her as she exited through the back door of the shop.

 

They all filed out of the back door, one by one.

 

“Goodnight guys! I’ll see you all tomorrow, sleep well!” Wendy announced, getting into her car and beginning her drive home.

 

On the ride home, all Wendy could think about was Irene, and how her eyes sparkled despite the obvious drunkenness. She sincerely hoped that Irene would come in again, sober, so that maybe she could have an actual conversation with the woman that immediately caught her eye.

 

Wendy found it hard to sleep that night, Irene constantly invaded her thoughts. When she finally did fall asleep, it was serene and healing, and she wanted to think Irene had something to do with it.

 

Wendy checked her phone when she got up, noticing that the “Perfect Thots” groupchat had blown up overnight.

 

S(atan)ooyoung

LMAOOOOO good one seungwannie!

link: yelp.com/perfect_ten/reviews/baebaeirene

 

Yerimmie

KSJKSJDKJS omg that

 

Slug

language :(

I mean maybe she didn’t mean it guys you never know..

 

Yerimmie

Can u READ slug…

“By faaar the WOrsT customer-service experien seee of my lief…”

It doesnt matter if she was hammered its still our first bad review aksjdksj

 

S(atan)ooyoung

yikes well here’s hoping wan gets some action out of it at least

 

Wendy stared in disbelief at her phone, reading the short but rather punchy review from username “baebaeirene.” Wendy was shocked, it was in fact Perfect Ten’s first bad review and her heart sank as she saw only 1 out of the 5 possible stars was highlighted.

 

Wendy shook herself of the disappointment and confusion, rubbing her eyes and willing the tears not to fall. She had worked way too hard to make a name for herself, and refused to let one drunk, albeit beautiful, woman ruin that for her.

 

She hit the “Reply” button at the bottom of Irene’s review.

 

“Hi Irene, I don’t know if you remember last night, but I hope you made it home okay. If you’re open to it, I’d love it if you could come in and give us another try this time, preferably when the shop is actually open :)! I’ll even pay for your ride here, if need be.

-Son “Wendy” Seungwan”

 

Wendy then reopened her messages and replied to her friends.

 

Me

Hey guys! I’ll see you bright and early today, coffee’s on me because of that bad review… I replied to her so hopefully she comes in and we can sort that all out. 

 

Yerimmie

HAHAHA omg wendy’s whipped for irene…

 

S(atan)ooyoung

SJSKJSKSKK yeri pleaseeee… get it boss!

 

For the sake of her sanity and temper, Wendy decided not to respond, and started getting ready for work. She was in quite the rush today, as she was already late and still had to pick up coffee for her staff.

 

She put on whatever clothes were at the top of her laundry basket, opting for a crimson button-up shirt that she tied at the waist into a crop top, and a pair of black slacks. Not her best outfit, but not her best day either, she reasoned. Her hair was up in a shoddy bun, and she didn’t have time to put in contacts, so she had to wear her glasses for the day. She hastily grabbed her purse and left her apartment, dreading the day ahead of her.