Part I. The Forest

Between The Pines

It was getting darker and Yoongi clearly lost the path he'd been sticking to. The snow and fallen branches sounded quite unwelcoming under his uncertain steps, and his stuffed leather backpack was giving his spine major ache.

"What the , what the ?.." Yoongi cursed under his breath, and this was kind of a rhetorical question, if question at all. It had been four hours of roaming around for him and he was sure he should've reached Baepsae Village by then. Should've, if everything was fine and he didn't get lost. He did exactly as Namjoon told him: went straight South-West, but the forest didn't seem to ever end, the pines around him only got thicker and stood closer to each other, and the snow seemed to get deeper, and creeks of branches under Yoongi's feet louder. And it was almost dark.

Yes, Yoongi was totally lost. He was also scared, and very, very disappointed with himself. The whole situation kinda , because trying to keep going at night might’ve resulted in getting even more lost, and that meant he had to spend the night somewhere, and then keep going in the morning. Yoongi knew he'd get out of there, of course. After all, he could use some spirit tricks since his backpack was stuffed with herbs. But all these would definitely not work now, when it's dark and he's so damn tired. 

"Well, let's find a nice place then." He mumbled sarcastically, looking around for some usable space between solid pines, where he could build somewhat like a bed, make a little fire near it and just sleep before the dawn gives him enough light to continue walking. 

Nothing in the reach of his vision seemed good enough for the said purposes though, so he decided to go a bit further. It was almost dark but he managed to spot some nice pine with a huge pile of snow under it and now he was standing there considering if it was huge enough to provide him a shelter. Seemed like it was. All he needed now was branches for the fire and the bed.

Suddenly he heard a slight movement behind him and turned around hastily. 

"Are you lost?" A tall hooded figure was standing behind him, his deep voice echoed down to Yoongi’s bones. The asked question was free from any emotion whatsoever. 

"Oh, I'm..." Yoongi was caught by surprise, awkwardly turning his full body around, trying to stay still. "No, I'm actually not.. lost."

"Then what are you doing here alone?" The stranger continued in his emotionless tone.

"I'm ughh... Making fire and bed for myself."

"Are you’re going to sleep.. here?" Followed the question, and it seemed like stranger's tone was touched by a shadow of surprise now.

"I'm... Yeah?"

"Why?"

"So I can get some rest and continue walking in the morning, obviously." Yoongi snapped a little harsher than he intended.

"So you are lost." This time stranger’s voice was warmer, the statement sounded even a little teasing and Yoongi could've sworn he could sense a smile on the man's face. 

Yoongi’s mouth was getting dry. Being lost in an unknown forest at night was, definitely, not pleasant, but it was one thing.  Meeting an absolute stranger there and letting him know you are lost was the other, it practically equaled to putting your life into their hands. And Yoongi had a really bad feeling about this second option. He didn't know how friendly nearest villages were, he basically didn't know anything about the area, so this man could be really dangerous. Gosh, he looked and sounded dangerous. So the point was not to make him angry, Yoongi figured.

"Well... Actually, a bit lost, maybe?” He let out, immediately hoping, that this confession wouldn't get him killed.

"I see.” The man said, once again emotionlessly. “You don’t have to sleep in the woods, though. I live not so far from here, you should stay over. It’s dangerous to stay in the forest at night.”

"Oh, that’s, that’s very… nice of you to offer that.” Yoongi mumbled nervously, and then his anxious mind suddenly decided he was good at bluffing. “And, umm, excuse me, what's your name again?"

Bluffing wasn't really his forte though.

"Hmm... I don't remember telling you my name." Said he stranger with a little laugh. "But since you're asking, it's Tae."

"Nice to meet you, Tae." Yoongi said defeatedly. "Tae like... Taehyung, right?" 

"Nice to meet you too, Min Yoongi." The smile was once again present in his voice. "Taehyung? Yeah, like that, I guess. Just Tae is fine though, like I said."

Yoongi was really confused. Like what the was that kinda confused. How did this mysterious Tae knew his name already?

"Umm... Is it my turn now to not recall telling you my name?" Yoongi’s attempt to sound at ease was more or less failed.

"Don't be worried. I just happen to know you." At this Yoongi let out a confused "hmm". A stranger meets you in the woods at night and tells he knows you, when you have only arrived in the country less than a week ago - how's that for not worrying, huh?

"I mean,” Tae continued. “I actually recognized you. You're the new doctor of Baepsae Village, right?"

That was about right. 

"The news here spread faster than I thought." Yoongi said suspiciously.

“Well, if you’re coming with me, then we should get going, it's getting too late." Tae looked around for a proof–it’s was actually almost fully dark. “My hut is that way.” He waved his left hand in the direction where pines were stuck together the closest, which gave Yoongi a feel like it was deeper in the forest. Then Tae turned his back to Yoongi and started walking to the direction he’d just shown. “It’ll take us twenty minutes or something if your pace is not too sloppy”.

Yoongi hesitated. After taking a few steps Tae turned his head around to look at him.

“Don’t be scared. I’ll tell you everything you wanna know about me while we walk.” He said with what was probably his best effort to sound friendly.

And Yoongi gave up. Well, it was probably not his best decision but after all, Tae didn’t really seem like a murderer or something, and he was taking him to his place, the village in the woods, where he lived, Yoongi figured. So there’re gonna be people. So it’s all good, right? If everything turns out well, he’d be getting a good night sleep and could ask for directions in the morning to help find his way back to Baepsae. Perfect. I’m gonna be just fine, he thought.

No matter how curious Yoongi was, he was a little unsure about asking the hospitable stranger any questions right after they’d started walking. It was only after they’ve walked for something that felt like ten minutes when Yoongi felt brave enough to break the silence.

“So, what’s the name of the village you live in?” Yoongi asked trying to make his voice sound as casual as possible.

“Well, it’s not exactly a village.” Tae answered.

“What is it then?” Yoongi hurried his steps at these words, trying to catch up with Tae’s pace.

“It’s kinda… A hut. That’s it.”

As if didn’t sound strange at all.

“A hut like… here in the forest? You live it the forest?” Now Yoongi sounded a little worried.

“Yes, here in the forest.” Another calm answer followed.

“I see.” Yoongi let out hopelessly. “Do you live alone?”

“Yes.”

It was definitely not the answer Yoongi would be happy with. Definitely not. The forest fell silent again, no sound except for their steps – both heavy (Tae’s) and light (Yoongi’s), and creaking of thin November snow under their feet. Now Yoongi realized he was following a really creepy stranger who lived alone in the deep woods, and he felt a heavy weight of worrying on his shoulders again. It also didn’t seem like he could turn around and go away now. What would Tae do if Yoongi refused to follow now? What if Tae got angry if he did so? And then murder him?

Suddenly, Tae stopped.

“Listen, Yoongi.” He started speaking, not turning around to face his follower; his voice still calm. At this Yoongi stopped too. “I understand that you’re scared and uncomfortable, and I sure don’t look like a friendly forest fairy.” These words were voiced really softly, and Tae’s turned to face startled Yoongi. “But above all, you’re also tired and cold, so all I do now is offer you a warm place to spend the night so you don’t freeze your out there or get eaten by a bear.” He paused. “And if you don’t want it–just tell me and I’ll let you be. It’s not like I force you to come, I hope you understand that.”

Yoongi froze. Well, maybe he was just imagining things. Maybe this Tae had really good intentions after all and he shouldn’t have been so suspicious. And also…

“Are there actually like.. bears?” Yoongi asked.

“Plenty, trust me!” Tae chuckled softly. “I’m a hunter, I killed few of them myself”.

Yoongi felt relieved at these words. A hunter, that’s’ what Tae was! That explained a lot, like him living in the hut here alone, now it totally made sense. Maybe he was living there… Temporarily? Yeah, like for the hunting season or something. And, after all, he didn’t have to tell Yoongi everything, right? Yoongi was a stranger to him too, so…

“Oh, that’s… right?” Yoongi mumbled. “You’re a hunter, right? Okay. I… I’m sorry, it probably seems like I’m scared of you or something?” He laughed nervously. “No way, I-I’m totally grateful for your offer, it was really generous of you and…”

“Are you coming then?” Tae was smiling. Yoongi couldn’t really see it of course, but he definitely was.

“I uhh… Yes. Sure?”

After this little conversation they continued walking in silence, except for the few times when Tae told Yoongi to be aware of some low hanging branches that Yoongi didn’t notice, the ones possessing a high potential of hurting his face. It was a real mystery how Tae could see those and not just bump into them, and also warn Yoongi not to bump into them, for it was really dark. Hunter’s vision, Yoongi thought. Yeah, must be it.

After some more walking Yoongi saw a vague light between the pines in the distance.

“See the lights? That’s my hut. We’re close.” Tae said.

 “You leave the lights on when you go hunting?”

“I wasn’t hunting.”

“Oh…”

What was he doing then? Pulling up flowers?

“I went to check a trap.” Tae’s invisible smile made a comeback once again.

“Oh I see” Yoongi didn’t actually like the fact that Tae could sense the waves of fear he was experiencing every time the other man said something even remotely suspicious. “I thought so.”

“Sure. Look, we’re almost here.”

Indeed, they were nearing a small hunter’s hut, surrounded by tall pines, with lights on inside. When they finally approached it, the hut, circumstances aside, looked quite welcoming. They ascended the three wide steps to the heavy wooden door and Tae slowly pulled it open, while Yoongi was waiting behind him. Before entering, Tae turned his head over his shoulder to look at his guest. His heavy hood fell back a bit, revealing big brown eyes and soft features, now finally visible thanks to the dim light pouring from the hut. He was smiling.

“Come in, Yoongi.”