final

Caring for the Maknae

It was unexpected, shocking, like a thunderbolt striking him out of blue. Though he was this numbed by shocked, deep inside his heart, he knew this would happen, well, at least, he was slightly scared that this might happen. Mir wasn't exactly one who was good at observing but it wasn't that hard to tell how Seungho was a bit out of it today. Honestly, all five MBLAQ members were losing focus by this time. It was expected due to their long packed schedule for this whole week and they were really at the edge by now and even Mir who was the youngest and the most energetic was literally drained and would give anything to crash into a bed, ani, even a nap on the floor would suffice before he truly collapsed out of exhaustion. But still, seeing Seungho fall hard right in front of him render him to freeze on stage. He felt how his heart stopped beating for a moment that short yet felt so long.

            It wasn't like any fall any of them had experienced. It was the worst fall Mir have ever seen and the painful look on the usually strong leader hurt him to no end. The other three had long abandoned their spot and rushed to the leader's side yet all Mir could do was stayed standing there, eyes wide as ever, mouth slightly agape, face pale to the point if people saw him, they would say Mir was the one experiencing Seungho's injury.

            When all the crews started surrounding the now unconscious Seungho, Mir finally be able to move as his sight on the writhing Seungho was blocked by these people. But Mir didn't head towards the injured leader despite every cell in his body was screaming him to do so, yet his legs brought him off the stage and towards a hidden corner under the stage.

            There, finally alone in the dark, the strength left his legs and he dropped weakly on the floor. Fat droplets of tears one by one escaped the rim of his still wide eyes, reflecting a look of fear on a child's face as he pulled his knees against his chest, wrapping his arms around them and buried his tear-streaked face into his knees. Loud sobs finally escaped his quivering lips, his whole body trembling as the image of Seungho twirling in the air, landing head first unto the uninviting hard floor kept replaying in his mind.

            He was afraid. He was truly frightened. What if... What if the fall injured Seungho severely that the leader might... The leader might... Whimpering at the thought, Mir curled even tighter into himself, trying to shut all the negative thought but it was doing no help. His heart beat louder again his chest and more tears fall, wetting his pants. He was too absorbed in his own fear for the leader, he didn't even hear sound of voices calling for him, searching him, that was until he felt warm pair of arms surrounding him.

            "Hey, hey, hey. Don't cry. It's okay." Sanghyun's high pitch voice yet sounding so soothing greeted his hearing and he felt the older's kind palm rubbing his back. "It's okay Cheolyong. It's okay."

            "Sanghyun!" Joon's voice echoed not too far from where the maknae line were.

            "I found him hyung!" Sanghyun shouted back, pulling Mir closer to his chest when the maknae kept on sobbing and shaking violently.

            "Byunghee hyung has gone with Seungho on the ambulance. We should follow them. Let's go."

            "Arasso, hyung. Just give me a minute." Sanghyun turned back his attention on Mir, eyes softened at the sight of the maknae. He didn't expect for Mir to be this affected by the incident but then again, he himself was shaken by this unfortunate event upon Seungho. "Cheolyongie. Let's go." Mir shook his head vigorously, clinging on Sanghyun like a scared little boy. Sanghyun in all honesty never really thought Mir could appear so vulnerable and fragile that all he wanted to do was protect the maknae. "Come on. Seungho hyung is going to be okay. Trust me" He tried to assure Mir and he felt himself melting when Mir finally lift up his face. His large eyes glittered and wet with tears, his nose reddened so as his flushed warm cheeks.

            "He's really going to be fine?"

            Sanghyun smiled softly and nodded firmly. Gathering his own strength, he decided not to entertain his own fear for Seungho and focus on Mir. Caring for the scared maknae. He always saw how Seungho taking care of the maknae and when Seungho wasn't there for Mir, GO would be taking the leader's place and made sure to protect the maknae. Sure they always teased the maknae but they definitely took good care of the maknae. Since the two oldest hyungs had always fulfilled Mir's need, him and Joon never really had chance to nurture the youngest but now that GO was busy with injured Seungho and so did Joon, Mir was left with him. Despite them being not that far in age, he was still older than Mir. So he took it upon himself to be the one responsible for the maknae.

            "But what if-" Mir was hushed by Sanghyun.

            "He's going to be fine. Come."

            Mir blinked and nodded finally, letting Sanghyun gently tugged him out and towards the waiting van. Joon was already waiting anxiously in the van and when he saw the two younger boys approaching, he was about to say something but halted when he saw Sanghyun shaking his head to him and finally noticed how the maknae who was being dragged behind Sanghyun was looking like a lost puppy and his eyes were swollen and red.

            Sanghyun got into the van first making sure Mir was seated next to him as he pulled the younger boy once again closer to his side, gently coaxing the maknae to lie his head on his shoulder. Mir just obeyed and snuggled closer into the crook of Sanghyun's neck and that was when something of warm glow radiating from Sanghyun's chest and through all his existence. Mir was being too adorable. Now, he kind of understand why Seungho and GO always care for Mir. There was something endearing about the youngest when he was shaken this way. He couldn't help but noticed his brooding affection towards the younger despite the situation.

            Sanghyun didn't even really notice how they were already in front of the hospital building, too distracted by soothing the still crying maknae until Joon's hand clipped firmly on Sanghyun's shoulder, saying, "We're here."

            Sanghyun pulled away slightly from Mir and climbed out of the van first after Joon. He poked back his head into the vehicle when Mir didn't follow after. "Cheolyong?" He called out to the seemingly more than ever distressed maknae.

            "I... I'll just w-wait here." Mir stuttered out in a small voice.

            "Cheolyong-"

            "What took you so long?" Joon questioned, rather annoyed. He slipped next to Sanghyun and watched over the maknae who pressed himself on the side of the van, trying to put further distance from the two older males. Joon sighed at the shaken maknae. Without offering any comforting words, the oldest of the three simply climbed back into the van, took Mir by wrist and half forcing the maknae out. "Don't be such a baby. Seungho hyung is injured and Byunghee hyung is alone. We need to be there."

            Mir's huge eyes seemed lost as he let his shocked self being dragged into the building by Joon. Halfway through, he turned to lock eyes with Sanghyun, silently asking for Sanghyun's help.

            "Changsun hyung. Don't be too harsh." Sanghyun fastened his pace to match the other two. He was feeling disturbed when Joon simply yanked Mir away from him but felt immediate relief when he was finally walking by Mir's side and Mir automatically reached out and gripped on the cuff of his stage clothes.

            Joon looked back and finally saw the frightened maknae, halting him. "I'm sorry Cheolyong. I'm just worried." He said, finally releasing the maknae's wrist and Mir right away clung on Sanghyun's arm, hiding half of his slender frame behind Sanghyun who complimenting his action by puffing out his form even more, acting as maknae's needed shield.

            "Let's go then." Sanghyun said, gesturing Joon to continue the walk, which Joon complied easily. Sanghyun intertwined his hand with Mir's cold one. "Ready?" He asked Mir and Mir nodded once despite looking uncertain.

            When they rounded the last corner, they finally saw GO pacing in front of emergency room where undoubtedly where Seungho was lying by now. GO looked up when he heard Joon calling his name, informing the latter of what little information he had on Seungho.

            When he saw the approaching Sanghyun and Mir, GO's eyes widened slightly as if he had just cursed himself for forgetting about the maknae. He was about to approach Mir and attend to the maknae as usual when the door was opened and out the doctor as they spoke about Seungho's condition. Though Sanghyun didn't have chance to listen as he was held back by the scared maknae, he felt worries left him as he saw how GO's tensed features replaced with relief indicating good news on Seungho's condition.

            "I've told you, he'll be fine." Sanghyun whispered to Mir who was waiting anxiously and looked up confusedly at Sanghyun when he heard GO calling his name.

            "Cheolyong-ah. Come here." GO beckoned and the maknae hesitantly starting to loosened his hold on Sanghyun's arm but Sanghyun covered his hands using his free hand, and walked forward to GO. "Seungho is fine now. Do you want to go in?"

            Cheolyong yanked his hands away from Sanghyun, didn't notice of the slightly disappointed look painting Sanghyun's face as he lunged into GO's embrace sobbing into the older's chest, this time out of relief. "He's really fine?" He asked between his sob.

            "Yes, baby. It's okay now." GO cooed like a mother. "Do you want to see him?"

            Mir nodded and pulled away. Sanghyun watched bitterly as he realized such a short moment he had the chance to actually taking care of maknae, but that was until he felt the cold trembling hand finding his back. He looked over his shoulder and saw Mir looking expectantly up at him. When he didn't react and simply stood there, Mir voiced out quietly, "Will you come with me, hyung? I'm scared."

            Sanghyun was dumbfounded that he was being chosen by the maknae despite GO being there at the same time, his stomach flipped around and he smiled softly at the maknae, nodding. Maybe he was chosen by Mir to care for the latter. Maybe Mir really need him now and not the other hyungs. Maybe because he was the first to comfort maknae in this situation, hence Mir choosing him. Either way, he was more than happy to care for the maknae.

 

 

 

Of course... Bromance <3 <3 <3