First Kiss

Yellow

Chapter One: First Kiss

Mark: do you wanna come over after school today?
my mom will be home
you can meet her

Anna: yeah sure!

Mark: cool, i'll pick you up at 2:30

Anna: sounds good

Mark: i'll see you tomorrow
goodnight, anna :)

Anna sat, swinging her legs as she waited for Mark to arrive. She couldn't put down her phone, constantly checking the time and to see if Mark had called or texted. It was 2:26 and she could feel herself getting nervous.

The sound of a car pulling up drew her attention away from her phone. She looked up to see Mark's car. He rolled the window down with the goofy smile she fell for on his face.

"Hey, Anna!" he called.

With a smile, she hopped in the car. There was something about his car that always made her feel safe. It might of been his safe driving, but there was always something about the cracking leather seats, the $20 lights he had installed on the sides, the scent of the black ice air freshener, and the security of having Mark next to her that made her love being in that hand-me-down, fifteen year old, slightly rusted BMW.

Mark isn't the type to talk much when driving. He spends most of his focus on the road. On their first date, his lack of conversation worried Anna. She was afraid he was bored or just not that into her. But as they spent more time together, she came to realize he was just trying to keep her safe and that just made her like him all the more.

After a car ride filled with small talk and singing along to the radio, they pulled up to Mark's house. Anna had been over a few times before, but never for long periods of time. Unlike her plain, undecorated house, Mark's place was beautiful. His mother, an interior designer, spends a lot of time keeping the house visually aesthetic. Indecisive, she enjoys redecorating and moving around furniture. Something's always different everytime Anna goes and that element of surprise always makes her happy.

They walk in to see Mrs. Lee sorting through some mail. As she notices them, she quickly puts down the letter and runs to the door, opening her arms to invite them in, "You must be Anna, I've heard so much about you from our Mark. It's so nice to finally meet you."

Anna has met Mark's father at track meets before, but never his mother.

"It's nice to meet you as well, Mrs. Lee. You have a beautiful home. I love how you keep it."

"Aren't you sweet? Well, make yourself at home. I'll get you guys something to drink."

Small talk continued between Mrs. Lee and Anna in the living room. Anna has always been good with adults. Even though meet the parents was nervewrecking, Anna managed to keep herself composed and even managed to crack a few jokes.

--

It wasn't long before Mrs. Lee had to go run some errands. They exchanged goodbyes and left Anna and Mark alone in the house. Since they had known each other for several years before dating, Anna didn't feel nervous at all. She knew Mark was a good guy and that he'd never do anything she didn't want. In fact, it was Mark who felt a bit nervous. After silently being in love with her for two years, he finally got the girl.

"Can we watch that shark documentary you were talking about?" Anna mentioned. 

"Huh? Oh, yeah, of course," Mark slightly stuttered before reaching for the remote. 

They the tv and make themselves comfortable on the couch. They sat close to each other, watching the documentary. It was obvious the both of them wanted to make a move, but was too nervous to.

"Do you wanna lay down? It might be more comfortable that way," Mark suggested. 

"Yeah, that works."

Awkwardly, the two eventually found a position comfortable for the them with Mark's arm under Anna's head, acting as a pillow. Anna nervously glanced over at Mark. Hearing his rapid heart rate, she chuckled. It was nice to know he was just as nervous as she was. She found herself unconsiously tapping her fingers on his chest to the beat of his heart. As a the narrator recited a funny line, Anna bursted out in laughter. 

"Anna," Mark's voice was suddenly serious.

"Y-yeah?" she stuttered, hearing his voice.

His facial expression softened to a smile, "You're beautiful when you smile."

Anna was never the type to blush in any situation, even with her ex boyfriend, but she suddenly felt blood rushing to her cheeks and she contain her smile.

"I really want to kiss you," he declared boldly.

Hearing that, Anna choked, surprised by his straightforward words, "I- I mean, you can," she replied in a soft voice.

Out of habit, she pressed her eyes closed, it had been eight months since she had last been kissed, she was afraid she wouldn't remember how to. She waited and waited for the kiss, holding her breath, for she could feel Mark's nervous, uneven breathing against her lips. After a few more seconds, she felt Mark's soft lips press against her forehead. She opened her eyes, tilting her head slightly to subtley ask why he didn't kiss her.

He smiled, "It wouldn't be as romantic if you knew when I was going to kiss you."

--

Mr. and Mrs. Lee called to invite Mark and Anna to dinner around seven at a restaurant not too far away.

While they on the way to the restaurant, it suddenly started to pour. They managed to make it safely, but there was still the issue of getting inside. The parking lot was pretty full, they had parked decently far from the entrance and they didn't bring an umbrella. 

Mark took off his jacket and handed it to Anna, "Here, put this on, it's waterproof."

"What about you?" Anna asked hesitantly, holding his jacket.

He gave a reassuring smile and got out of the car to open the door for Anna, "Let's go."

They exchanged looks and made it run for it, Mark's arm tightly wrapped around Anna's shoulders, both laughing their heads off as they made their way through the rain. They entered the restaurant both soaking.

"You guys didn't bring an umbrella?" Mrs. Lee asked, concerned.

"We left before it started raining, so we didn't know to bring one," Mark explained.

"Look at you two, you're soaking wet," Mr. Lee frowned.

"It's ok, we're young. We'll be fine," Anna reassured, laughing.

The four of them ordered, ate, and chatted the night away. From a family of two, just her and her mother, Anna loved the feeling of warmth that came with a full family. Although it was just dinner with his parents, Anna was so happy. She felt loved.

"Anna, it's so lovely to have you around. Mark's older brother is off at college so the house seems emptier than usual. Having you around makes it more fun. Come over whenever you would like!" Mrs. Lee said with a smile.

Anna returned the smile and nodded, "I'll be sure to help around the house, too."

"That would be great since Mark here doesn't do anything!" Mr. Lee joked, kind of.

"Hey! I do a lot of things around the house," Mark defended himself.

"Like mess it up?" Anna chimed in.

Mark's parents laughed, "I like this one, she's a keeper."

"I know," he replied firmly. 

--

It was well into night on a school night, but they waited out the rain before leaving. As they arrived at Anna's house, Mark got out and walked her to the front door.

"Well, this is me," Anna said, turning to point to her house.

"I had a lot of fun today, as always."

Anna nibbled on her bottom lip, holding back a smile, "Me too. I love your family. Everyone's so amazing."

"Yeah, I have great parents. Wait until you meet my brother. He's like me, but nicer."

"It gets better than you? Wow, I didn't know that was possible."

Mark laughed and wrapped his arms around Anna's waist, pulling her in close. She smiled and placed her arms around his neck.

"Every moment with you," he started before a pause, "Is just breathtaking. Sometimes I can't tell if you're real or not."

"Geez, you're so cheesy," Anna laughed.

"But you like it."

She nodded, "I definitely do. And just so you know, I'm very, very, very real. I also feel the exact same way. After having my heart broken again and again, I feel like I finally found peace, warmth, and love with you."

"I know you're real, I just have to confirm it for myself."

"What do you m-"

Anna was cut off by Mark pressing his lips against hers, ever so gently. His hand cupped her cheek. The softness of his touch melted Anna, he was so careful with her as if he's afraid she'd break. She smiled against his lips, returning the kiss tenderly. They slowly pulled away, still holding each other. Anna looked down at her feet, slightly embarrassed.

"I told you I'd surprise you."

"And that you did."

Like that, Anna and Mark shared their first kiss. Like they say, first kisses are always awkward. But it's the awkwardness that makes a first kiss so precious and unforgettable.