BREAKING

In Other News

One of my biggest secrets was on the 10 o’clock news. A secret so big that I knew would ruin my life if anyone found out about it. The neverending charade that is my life, announced to the masses through public television. What is there left for me to do but run and hide with my tail between my legs. Damn, what the hell should I do know? Do I confess or deny it? It doesn’t matter, I need to go and I need to go far. But to where? . Oh well, I’m going to start packing my things before it’s too late. Wait, where is it? I rummage around my closet looking for my duffel bag. I have to pack light, no time for personal things, only essentials. I was about to leave my room when I tripped over my ing shoes!

“!” I yelled.

Standing up again, I head to the bathroom and throw my toiletries into my bag and head out. I make sure to wear a cap and sunglasses in case anyone recognizes me. As soon as I stepped out my apartment I felt like everyone was staring at me although that was very unlikely. I look over to the brown, run down building where I caught Mr. Kang more than once stalking me when I shower, and secretly feel grateful I will be away from that . Once my bag was in my car, I drive away from the neighborhood I have resided in for the past ten years. For the first time I am careful about following all the road laws in fear of getting caught by the police just because I was going over the speed limit. I feel my hands shaking and sweat start to trickle down my forehead. I can smell the moldy sandwich that’s in the backseat of my car and mentally facepalm for not taking it out when I had the chance. Now I had to make my escape in a smelly car. I head towards the city limits to begin my new life in the country as a hermit, cut off from the rest of the world forever. I could already see my new future before my eyes, living in an old dusty barn, scavenging for any scraps of food I could find. Why did it have to be me of all people getting caught? I’m sure i can’t be the only one whos done it, right? I can go to Mexico, I know enough Spanish. If someone asks ‘Como te llamas?’ I would say ‘Si muy bien y tu?’. Anywhere is fine as long as no one knows who I am.

Not two miles away from my house I get a phone call. My car display tells me it’s my best friend. She probably already saw the news. Do I answer? Do ignore it and throw my phone into the ocean? , I’m going to answer, if anyone deserves to know where I’m going it’s her.

“H-hello?” I trepidly answered.

“What the hell is going on?” she yells.

“Look I can’t really explain it all right now but I’m going away for a while. I’ll contact you once I am well hidden away from everyone.” I answered before I hurriedly hung up the phone not even giving her enough time to respond. Phew that was a close one. I pass the 7Eleven where Lisa and I stole the extra hot cheetos. Thinking back to that day I find myself smiling at the memory, followed by sadness and I could feel tears start to prick at the corners of my eyes. Maybe it wouldn't hurt if I went to visit her before I was gone for good. I rerouted and headed towards Lisa’s house. I hoped her girlfriend wasn’t around. I wouldn’t be able to face the biggest ray of sunshine I knew. When I pulled up to her driveway I saw Rosé’s bike in propped next to Lisa’s car. Dammit. Now I had to face both of them. Dammit dammit dammit. With a weary sigh I dismounted my car and trudged to the door and knocked. After 5 seconds I hear the knob turn and am greeted by Lisa’s confused face.

“Seulgi what the hell, mind telling what’s going on?” Lisa asked with a questioning look on her face.

“I’m about to die, can I have a glass of water first?”

“Um no ! I want an explanation as to what the is going through that lunatic head of yours!” she responded to me. How rude. You’d think she’d be nicer to me for what I’m going through.

“Fine,” I said taking a deep breath before continuing, “but you might want to sit down for this. It wasn’t always like this. It all started innocently enough. I never thought it would come to this.”

Flashback

I was walking back home one night from my girlfriend’s house. When all of a sudden I saw the smallest, most adorable little puppy sniffing around the front lawn of some house. As I got closer I realized the puppy actually lived there when I saw a little dog house in the lawn, which I thought was kinda odd since nowadays people kept their pets in the backyard. I couldn’t resist the urge to pet it so I did. His fur was so fluffy and warm and he wasn't trying to bite me. I picked him up and cuddled him to my chest. I was so happy.

And that puppy was the first of many. Every time I saw a dog I HAD to pet it. I loved them so much. It was comforting and all the dogs were adorable. Soon though, I started to feel off whenever time went by and I hadn’t pet a dog. And that’s where the problems started. First it was my girlfriend’s friend's house. When I knew my girlfriend and her friend were out, I would sneak into her house to pet her cute Maltese named Sammi. Then it was my neighbors dog. I knew he never locked his door so when he went out, I went in and played with his Beagle puppy. Then after some time that just wasn’t enough anymore, and I would walk down the alleys of my neighborhood, then to the ones that were nowhere near my place. Like the rich areas, they always had the best dog breeds there. So naturally I would sneak into their backyards and play with their dogs.

I did that almost everyday, until the day I went to a large house with a big bronze door. The dog was a mix of pomeranian and poodle. It was the most beautiful dog I’ve ever seen, so I jumped the chain link fence. I didn’t notice even notice the cctv above the backyard door. I did my business per the usual, petting and playing with the cute dog until I saw the backyard headlight turn on. I panicked and ran to the fence and attempted to jump over it. I should have known my unfit body wouldn’t be able to make the jump. My foot caught on the fence and I fell on the other side flat on my face. Yelling came from the house and I hurriedly unhooked my pant leg that got caught on the fence and escaped. I ran the rest of the way home without stopping, my lungs and legs burning from exhaustion.

When I got home, I knew this needed to stop. I vowed to never break into people’s backyards to pet their dog. I went to bed with that thought in mind and thought that that was the end of it. Boy was I wrong when I woke up the next morning and the tv after serving myself my morning coffee.

“In other news, two homeowners turned in cctv footage of a woman breaking into their backyard and petting their dog. The owner of the dog, Jung Hoseok told the police that he had heard someone climb his fence and though it might be a burglar, so he went outside to investigate. Imagine his surprise when he did not find someone stealing his belongings, but only petting his dog. We now go to Reporter Seo Juhyun who is with Officer Kim Heechul, the lead investigator in this baffling case.”

The tv switched to the police officer being interviewed.

“Yes, this actually isn’t the first case of a person breaking into backyards. We have had many calls from dog owners reporting seeing a woman in their backyard petting the dog. However, everytime we arrive at the scene she is gone. This is the first instance where we have evidence of it happening. We are a little confused as to what she is trying to do. She has never stolen or vandalised anything. Just pet the dogs and leave. We’re not too sure what to do about her. We could arrest her for breaking and entering but no one so far has wanted to continue to press charges.”

The Tv switches back to anchor.

“Thanks to the cctv footage, we are able to have a clear picture of the suspect, who has been dubbed ‘The Serial Dog Petter.’ She is a woman in her early twenties, about 162 cm with monolids and black hair with bangs. If you can identify who this woman is please call xxx-xxx-xxxx.”

The tv is switched off.

I dropped my coffee.

End Flashback

 

After my retelling, Lisa is slack jawed along with Rosè who I just noticed was here.

“I can not BELIEVE your stupid ! When Chaeyoung told me you were on the tv, I didn’t think it would be for your ugly mug in a cctv video running and falling on your face and BREAKING INTO SOMEONE’S HOUSE JUST TO PET THEIR ING DOG!” Lisa shouted at me. Rosè rubbed her arm to calm her down while I just lowered my head in shame. Rosè spoke up.

“Have you contacted your girlfriend yet before you leave.”

, my girlfriend, Byulyi. She has probably seen the news too. She must be embarrassed of me. She’ll probably want to break up with me. Oh my god!

“Um… no.”

Lisa facepalmed.

At that moment there was a knock on the door. Rosè went to the living room to open the door and came back with my Byul. Upon seeing me, she widened her eyes and rushed to hug me.

“You pabo, I was worried about. I’ve sent you a bunch of texts and calls, why didn’t you answer?” she asked.

I took my phone out of my pocket and saw that I indeed had missed calls and unread texts. I must have had my phone on silent. I received Lisa’s call cause my car bluetooth system doesn’t have silent. I refused to look back up at my girlfriend in embarrassment, but she just hugged me and lifted my head by my chin.

“Pabo, you probably think I’m embarrassed of you huh?” she asked, I timidly nodded my head. She chuckled and kissed my forehead, “Pabo.”

“Ugh, could you stop the fluff and discuss what we’re gonna do. And by we I mean Seulgi.” Lisa remarked.

“I think we should just go back to Seulgi’s apartment and call the police. Just tell them it was a misunderstanding and apologize,” Rosè suggested.

“Good idea babe, get this criminal out of our house. We don’t need bad cred. Ow babe I was just joking!” Lisa said after Rosè slapped her arm. Good, she’s being a anyway.

We agreed to return to my place and figure out the rest there. At my place, Byul decided we’d all be more relaxed if we ordered food. I was craving chicken, it relaxes me. As we waited for the chicken, the doorbell rang and i ran to answer it, thinking it was the chicken. It wasn’t. It was two cops.

“Kang Seulgi?” the first one asked, who I knew to be Officer Kim Heechul who was on the tv.

I gulped,” Y-yes. That’s me.” Byulyi joined me at the door and held my waist protectively.

“Hello Officers, is there a problem,” she asked.

The second officer, a woman whose stitched name tag said Officer Ahn, answered,” Well, not really but we do need to speak to Miss. Kang. We identified her as the woman who has been breaking into backyards to pet dogs. That was you, wasn’t it?”

I sighed in defeat,” Yes, that was me,” I readied myself to be taken away to the police station and then sent to jail for the rest of my life.

“Ok we just need you to come to the station for a bit,” Officer Kim told me.

Byulyi tightened her grip on my waist and asked,” Can I come with her?”

Officer Ahn smiled and told her yes which was a huge relief for me. We went back to the living room to tell Lisa and Rosè we were leaving. The officers led us to their patrol car and we left towards the station. The drive was a little awkward.

“So, Seulgi,” Officer Ahn began, what’s with you and the dogs?”

I blushed in embarrassment,”I just really like them.”

“Hmm. Maybe a little too much no?”

“Hani, leave her alone, she’s obviously embarrassed,” Officer Kim said,” However that is a very unconventional way of showing your love.”

“Is she gonna get in trouble officers?” Byulyi asked them. I’m so glad she is with me right now. I love her so much.

“No, but the owners do want to speak with her.”

I gulped. Owners? Does that mean all of them are gonna be waiting for me at the station? Oh Lord how am I gonna be able to face them. What if they yell and hit me. Oh God oh God oh God! We drive for about 5 more minutes when we finally arrive at the station. I nervously leave the car and enter the building.The two officers lead Byulyi and I to a room. He opens the door and I’m met with a room of a bunch of people. They all stare at me with either judgment or amusement. Officer Kim pulls me towards the front of the room and faces me to the people.

“Hello, ladies and gentleman. This is Kang Seulgi, the Serial Dog Petter. I know you all have a couple things to say to her so why don’t we start with a raise of hand. Yes ma’am, you  in the purple shirt, introduce yourself first.”

The first lady was small with a cold face. Her eyes bore into mine.

“Hello, I’m Irene Kim. You invaded my backyard and harassed my dog Snuffles. After you left, he was restless the whole day and refused to take his mid day walk. I blame you.” I bow my head in apology, but she just rolls her eyes and turns away.

I remember Snuffles. He was a sweet bulldog who particularly loved belly rubs. He was too cute, how could I resist.

“Yes sir in the back,” Officer Kim called out.

“Hi I’m Kim Namjoon, uhh, you pet my dog like 3 days ago. I mean it's cool and all but that was mad creepy my dude.”

I bowed my head in apology.

“Ok next. Ah yes young lady in the front.”

“Hey my name is Sana. My dog is the Pomeranian you broke into my yard for. You can apologize by going on a date with me,” she told me with a wink.

I blushed and Byulyi pulled me closer with a glare towards Sana who only smiled innocently.

There were a total of 20 people who all had something to say. By the end of it, I was so red from embarrassment and my neck and back hurt from all the bowing. The only one who hadn’t spoken yet was a man sitting in the front on the left, He had his arms crossed and had the most horrendous pair of shoes I have ever seen. He stood up after everyone finished and walked to the front. He turned towards the audience of dog owners and spoke.

“Ok, now that we’re done with that, we can discuss what we are really here for. What will be this girl’s punishment?”

What? Can he do that? He’s not a cop. I look towards the two officers but they seem to have expected this. Is he the one who wanted this meeting? He turns to me and raises his eyebrow.

“Hello, I’m Jung Hoseok.”

Jung Hoseok? Oh that's the guy with the cctv footage. Damn he’s the only one to have caught me. It’s his fault I’m here. There's nothing I can do but bow in apology.

“Don’t worry, you’re not in any actual trouble. We did not want to press charges just cause you were appreciating our dogs. Except for Miss. Kim over there,” he points to Irene Kim who is glaring daggers at me, “we just want you to release a public apology and promise to never do this again, as funny as it is, not only for the comfort of dog owners but also for your safety. You have been lucky that none of us have tried to attack you but there is violent people out there who could hurt you for trespassing.”

I nodded in understanding and gave one last bow. After some discussion, it was decided that I would record a video of me apologizing that the police will release to the public as well as 20 hours of community service at the animal shelter. The officers said I still needed to adhere to the laws of breaking and entering private property. It wasn’t too bad. After the meeting everyone left the room with Irene Kim still glaring at me and Sana sending me flirty winks. Those two make me uncomfortable. The only ones left in the room were the two officers, me, Byulyi and Mr. Jung Hoseok.

“So miss Kang, I hope you learned your lesson,” Officer Kim said.

“Yes sir.”

“Good. Well Officer Ahn and I will be leaving now. Have a good day.” We said goodbye and they left.

I hear someone clearing their throat and turn towards Hoseok.

“Well this has been very eventful. You’re a peculiar girl you know?”

Damn what is with these people and making my face burn up.

“Again, I am very sorry for all the trouble I’ve cause. I’m really really sorry.”

“It’s all good. I actually wanted to offer you something. My dog, the one you were petting, has a wife who just gave birth to a litter. We kept her inside since she was pregnant. Since you love dogs so much, we wanted to give you one. So you won’t have to keep jumping fences just to pet them.”

I gasped. A dog for me? After everything? Oh my God this is the best day of my life!

“Yes yes a million times yes. Thank you so much you’re the most amazing person on this planet I love you!” I rambled until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I see Byulyi with a deadpan look.

“I thought I was the one you loved.”

I gave her a sheepish look “You are.” I said as I gave her a smile followed by a peck on the cheek.

The next day Byulyi drove Rosè, Lisa, and I to Hoseok’s house. When we arrived I knocked on the door eagerly. The door was opened shortly by a man I haven’t seen before.

“ Hi you must be Seulgi,” the man said giving us a gummy smile, “please come in.” He stepped aside to let us in and lead us to a sitting room where we encountered Hoseok.

“Hello Seulgi, Byulyi, and two other girls I don’t know,” he greeted.

“Hello Hoseok thank you for inviting us and I’m sorry for bringing extra people unannounced. This is my best friend Lisa and her girlfriend Rosè,” I said.

“No worries, the more the merrier. I see you have met Yoongi. He is my boyfriend and Holly’s owner, the dog that just gave birth. Well, let’s head to the dog room where holly is with her pups,” He said and led us to the room.

Once inside, I see an adorable brown poodle feeding six tiny puppies. Oh my god my heart is about to explode with D’awws!

Yoongi told us we can come closer and choose a puppy. Lisa made an ugly squealing noise that almost burst my eardrum. Why did I bring her? I knelt down and pet Holly first. So cute dammit! The puppies looked to be about 5 weeks old. Some were play fighting and some were napping. How do I choose from this onslaught of adorableness!?

We played with the puppies for a couple of minutes before Rosè said we should choose one now so we can leave the couple of the house alone. I looked at the puppies and picked up a light brown one that had caught my attention. It was a girl and she was the one who was most receptive of my patting. She seemed to love it. She must be the one.

“I’m taking this one.”

“Alright she’s all yours,” Hoseok said.

“How much do I owe you?”

“Nothing. She’s a gift to you.”

“Oh no, I can’t accept that.”

“Please, just take her. We plan to give all the puppies loving homes for free anyway.”

“Thank you so much. You’re too nice.”

“*gasp* Chaeyoung can we take one? Please?” Lisa pleaded to Rosè with puppy eyes, holding a puppy, who was also giving Rosè puppy eyes.

“Puppy eyes squared? Who could even say no?” She answered.

Lisa jumped in joy and started walking out the room with the puppy in her hands. I guess we’re leaving. We bid Hoseok and Yoongi goodbye and all head to my apartment after buying things for the puppies at the pet store. At home I sit on the couch with my new puppy in my lap and with Byulyi’s arm around me. Lisa and Rosè had left a while ago.

“So what are you naming her,” Byulyi asked,

Oh my gosh, how could I forget to name her!?

“Oh my God. I don’t know.”

“Hwasa?”

“No that’s a weird name.”

“Dongwook?”

“That’s a guys name.”

“Krystal?”

“We’re not naming her after your ex girlfriend!”

“How about Wheein?”

“Aww that’s a cute name. Yeah, let’s name her Wheein. Kang Wheein.”

“Why not Moon Wheein?”

“My puppy, my last name.”

I look down at my puppy Wheein and smile. Whoulda thunk my weird habit of sneaking into people’s backyard would get me a cute puppy. I snuggled closer to Byulyi and continued petting Wheein. Ahh this is the life.