Chapter 1

Protect You Forever

‘’Mr Lee has requested you to accompany him to the conglomerates ball this evening at 8 pm, Ma’am.’’ Said Namjoon, my assistant. He stood tall in the archway leading into my chambers, his right arm draped across his suited torso, eyes downcast onto the leather clipboard he held in his hand.

‘’Very well, I shall be ready to leave at 7.45.’’ I replied, closing the worn copy of Hamlet that laid on my lap. It was 6 already and I had intended on bathing before I dressed for the event, my mind had already began to ponder over my attire and I could feel the stress of having to look my utmost best for the night seep through my skin.

‘’Jungkook will be your bodyguard for the night ma’am, as usual.’’ Namjoon continued. Jungkook. I didn’t know it were possible for one word, a name in particular, to fasten my heart beat a hundred fold. His name however, ignited a flame inside my soul. Something I presumed to be dead years ago. My head shot towards the door at his words and I noticed Namjoon raise his eyebrow quizzically, his jaw slacking as his lips turned upwards in a smirk. ‘’I trust that is not a problem ma’am?’’ he asked, a hint of humour in his voice.

‘’Not at all Namjoon.’’ I replied, my tone highlighting my obvious apprehension at the information given to me, thumbs twiddling behind my back.

‘’Very well Ma’am. I shall take my leave, please let me know if you require any assistance.’’ He said, his eyes meeting mine in the softest of smiles. I nodded in reassurance as I saw him leave, shutting the door with a soft click. The sound of his heeled dress shoes clicking across the marbled floor faded into the darkness as he headed back to his private study. I decided to ignore the thought of having Jungkook by my side for the entire duration of the official affair as I tied my hair in a loose bun. He made my hair stand on edge and although I loved the man with every inch of my being, I needed to stay focused for the meeting. Focusing my thoughts, I walked over to my work desk, and pressed the red button that remained hidden inside the curve of the mahogany furniture.

‘’Bella, could you please start me a bath, I’ll be down in a few.’’ I spoke into the air, the faint yes at the other end was the only indication that my voice had been heard. A bath was very much a necessity before an event filled with the paparazzi and the press. This was something I had learnt very early on in my life. Being the only heiress to what was, once the biggest business in all of Asia had taught me a few important things.

What do I wear that hides everything but is still revealing all at the same time? I pondered openly as strolled into my armoire, running my fingers across the velvety hangers that held the most exquisite of clothes. I had realised early on that such a piece had yet to be invented, but I still wished for it every time I needed to choose clothes. I began to pull out various dresses from their comfort on my rails and laid them out onto the white settee that graced the centre of my fitting room. Nothing was right. The colours too bright, the cut too low, and the back…non-existent in most of the apparels I picked. I huffed around my wardrobe, the dim yellow light making every piece look perfectly beautiful but divinely unmatched for me. It was when I was making a third attempt at arranging my hair into yet another bun, I noticed the red material peak out from underneath layers of georgette and satin. His gift to me last year. I gingerly pulled it out from its confines, admiring the way the silk felt in my palms. Smooth yet strong. Just like him. Holding it up in front of me, I looked at myself in the floor length mirror and allowed my chapped lips to curve into a smile. The dress did well to cover the marks on my thighs and arms, its colour reflecting onto my frail cheeks as it brought back memories of the past.

‘’You look beautiful.’’ His deep baritone voice broke the silence between me and his gift. I jumped at the sound and attempted to turn around to face him, but before I could do so, strong arms wrapped around my waist as he brought his chin to rest on my shoulder. My own hands rested upon his supple ones on instinct.

‘’How did you get in here! You really should’ve knocked!’’ I replied, turning my head to focus on his chiselled, tan jaw.

‘’You never lock the door to your wardrobe Mia, the amount of times I’ve told you it isn’t safe to leave yourself vulnerable to someone like this, in such a small space with no security cameras, but you just don’t pay attention to me.’’ He reprimanded, the anger and annoyance visible in his voice as he chastised me for my mistakes.

‘’I am sorry. I’ll be more careful.’’ I spoke. His hands on my waist gave me strength to lean into his toned frame and press my lips against his cheek. I could feel his gaze upon me as I kissed him, his stare penetrating my very being as he looked at me through the mirror.

‘’You can’t just kiss and make everything better Mia.’’ He smirked at me and I felt his hold tighten, as if he thought I’d move away from him. Where would I go if not to his arms? What was he worried about? His question however, left me baffled and I gaped at him unable to answer. ‘’But I don’t mind the idea.’’ He said cheekily, his bunny teeth appearing as he smiled.

‘’The dress looks gorgeous on you love. Wear it tonight.’’ He continued, I felt my cheeks heat up at his endearment and I looked down to the dress that lay forgotten in my arms.

‘’The marks, Jungkook, I don’t know if this will hide them, I don’t want to think about all of that.’’ I whispered, and I felt him press a kiss into the hollow of my neck.

‘’You’re not Mrs Lee when you wear this dress, you’re mine. Just mine.’’ He answered with security dripping from his voice.

‘’Yours. Always.’’ I replied back, almost instantly, turning in his arms as I wrapped my own around his neck, my nose nuzzling into his pulse point. My toes flexed and raised my body to its maximum height as I allowed his cologne to fill my senses.

‘’I love you Mia.’’ He mumbled into my dark tresses, pulling me flush against him.

Duties, responsibilities and the world around us forgotten as we stood together, hung in a dream.