The Start of The Unexpected

Truth In The Lies We Seek

 

A silhouette danced on the surface of the wall, following the movement of the wobbling torch that illuminated the room. As if it was too sad to leave them alone in a massive room, another silhouette could be seen kneeling down to the floor, facing the other one. Although there were two people inside the room, the grand room was still empty and cold. Maybe, the room wasn’t supposed to be occupied by two people only. They needed more person to make the room more lively and warm. And they were indeed determined to do that.

 

“So, do you have any lead about her whereabouts?”

 

Finally, another sound than the popping of the fire from the torch echoed through the room, making the room a little less empty than before.

 

“Yes, My Lord. I believe that she is now in Lume, more precisely in Obscure Province.”

 

The silhouette that was kneeling on the ground lowered her head. The voice they make was calm and quiet.

 

“I’ve sent the most suited person to get her.” The one kneeling still lowered their head as they spoke.

 

“I see.” The one who was standing turned their head to look at the other occupant of the room. It was quite dark to read their expression but judging by their voice alone, it looked like they were concerned about something.

 

“We need her as fast as possible. Before they find out about her. Or else…”

 

They didn’t continue their sentence, just stopped midway. Leaving their words hanged in the air.

 

“Do not worry, Your Highness. We will get to her first. As of now, they haven’t get the knowledge that she is in Lume. Besides, they need to pass Obscure Great Forest and I doubt that they could do it faster than our man could.”

 

The silhouette that was kneeling paused. The light of the fire from the torch shone on their faces briefly, revealing a small grin plastered on their face.

 

“No one ever come back from exploring the forest after all.” They continued and raised her head and looked at their interlocutors. The calmness in their voice hadn’t faded and now there was some confidence in it as well.

 

“I hope so.” The figure that was standing the whole time walked to the nearest chair. They sat there slowly and placed their arms on the armrest.

 

“How about the other?”

 

Even though it was dark, it could be seen clearly that the other figure’s smiled had gotten bigger. The confidence they used in their tone earlier hadn’t faded away. In fact, it was getting stronger.

 

“I sent the other one to get to them one by one. She’s perfect for this mission.” They paused briefly. “They will come to us. Eventually.”

 


 


“Sis, wait for me!”

 

A young man was riding his horse while shouting at someone. He tried his best to keep his form while spurred his horse as fast as he could. Although he’s been doing that for a while now, the distance between him and the person in front of him hadn’t decreased at all. There was still a huge gap between them.

 

“You’re too slow, Jeonghoon!”

 

Son Chaeyoung shouted at her brother and laughed freely while riding her horse in a vast meadow. As if she was a bird, soaring in an endless sky. She didn’t bother to wait for her brother at all.

 

“All right, Ice, let’s raise the pace a bit, shall we?” Chaeyoung talked to her cremello palfrey horse, Ice and Ice nickered as her response.

 

Chaeyoung squeezed her legs, loosened her reins to give Ice a wider access, positioned herself and started galloping.

 

Although Chaeyoung’s height wasn’t her best feature and getting on her horse was indeed a problem for her, it was a different story when she had ridden her horse. No one except her father could surpass her skill in horse riding.

 

It all started when she was still a child. Being the first daughter of a Viscount demanded her to possessed much different skill. Yet, unlike many other Viscount's daughters out there who were taught about manners and etiquette first thing first, riding a horse was the first lesson she was introduced to by her father.

 

Chaeyoung’s father, The Viscount of Lomatia, was well known for his easy-going and carefree personality. Although he was indeed a nobleman, he didn’t act as if he was one at all. He often took care of his people’s problems on his own instead of asking for his subordinates to help. His people loved him so much. He was odd but in a good way. Although other noblemen would sometimes talk badly about him, he never cared about that at all. As long as his people were happy, that’s all he cared about.

 

Everyone in Lomatia knew that The Viscount’s favourite hobby was horse riding and hunting. And he wanted to pass on his hobby to his daughter and son.

 

The first time Chaeyoung’s father brought her to ride a horse was when she was three. If he could, he would also bring Chaeyoung’s younger brother together but since he was still practically a baby, Chaeyoung was the only one that her father brought.

 

At first, they only rode around the equestrian, because Chaeyoung was still too young for a long ride. Chaeyoung never cried when she was on a ride with her father. In fact, she laughed happily every time her father’s horse made a sound.

 

Since Chaeyoung’s reaction was positive, her father always took the time to bring her to a horse riding with him. The Viscountess of Lomatia would often scold her husband for teaching her only daughter horse riding at such a young age instead of something more feminine. However, since her daughter looks the happiest when she was riding a horse with her father, she finally gave up and let her husband did what he wanted.

 

When Chaeyoung was a bit older, her father taught her the art of hunting. The moment Chaeyoung used a bow for the first time, her father knew that she was a natural born. It didn’t take her that long to possess a proper hunting technique. It made Chaeyoung’s father happy because he finally had a companion to go hunting.

 

Not long after Chaeyoung could stand strong on her own in both horse riding and hunting, her father immediately taught her brother the exact same skills he had taught Chaeyoung before. Even though Son Jeonghoon, Chaeyoung’s brother didn’t show enthusiasm as much as Chaeyoung, he did enjoy his father’s hobbies as well.

 

Chaeyoung also learned the art of fighting from her father. Both with a weapon and without a weapon. No one in Lomatia would dare to mock Chaeyoung’s petite figure because if they went too far, she wouldn’t hesitate to give them a lesson or two. Chaeyoung’s father taught her so many things that usually men would do. However, Chaeyoung never complained. She loved it when her father taught her how to make fire, fishing, and even how to read stars for navigation. Chaeyoung enjoyed them all.

 

In conclusion, one could never be too cautious by Chaeyoung’s appearance.

 

Raised by that kind of father, Chaeyoung grew up into one of a kind woman. Chaeyoung was uniquely beautiful. She was adventurous, easygoing, and full of surprises. She was small yet strong in any meaning.

 

Now, after Chaeyoung turned eighteen, horse riding and hunting became Chaeyoung’s hobby as well. Even when her father was busy and couldn’t come together with her, Chaeyoung would go to the forest near their town alone to hunt. Luckily, when her brother was getting older and could manage on his own, she could ask him to accompany her for a hunt, just like today.

 

Chaeyoung turned her head to see her brother who was still far behind her and shouted at him.

 

“Hey Jeonghoon, shall we race until the entrance of the forest?”

 

“Are you kidding?! There’s no way I could beat you! Besides, you cheated earlier! You started galloping out of nowhere!!”

 

Chaeyoung’s brother shouted back at her frantically. Chaeyoung laughed aloud and asked Ice to go back to cantering instead of galloping so that her brother could catch up to her. When she was finally in a parallel position with her brother, she offered her proposal once again.

 

“So, shall we?” Chaeyoung faced her younger brother and grinned widely, showing her cute dimples.

 

“You really don’t know how to give up, don’t you?” Jeonghoon let out a deep sigh. “Why do you want to race with me so much? Even though the result has been decided already from the start.”

   

“You can’t be like that Jeonghoon, we won’t know the result until we try. Sure, I may have more experience in horse riding than you, but you still showed amazing progress. Father admitted that as well.”

 

Chaeyoung looked at her brother deep in the eyes, hoping that the messages she wanted to convey reached him.

 

Jeonghoon was actually a really fast learner. He showed a promising potential in both horse riding and hunting. However, because irresponsible people were often comparing him to his sister, as time went on, he felt that he could never be as good as his sister.

 

After what Chaeyoung said to him, Jeonghoon sighed in defeat and smiled. His sister was right. In fact, he wanted to race his sister as well. It’s just that he didn’t have any confidence in his own skill.

   

“You should believe in yourself more!” Chaeyoung asked Ice to move closer to Jeonghoon’s horse and with a lot of effort, patted her brother's shoulder.

 

Jeonghoon looked at Chaeyoung’s eyes and he saw his sister’s sincerity. His smile became wider.

   

“All right, let’s race then.”

   

“Really?!” Chaeyoung widened her eyes as her response.
 

Jeonghoon nodded.
    
   

“However, on our way home.”

   

“Eeeh, but why? We can do it right now!” Chaeyoung whined to her brother. Although she had a calm and cool demeanour usually, she still acted like a little child sometimes.

   

“We can’t because we’re here already.”

 

Hearing Jeonghoon’s words, Chaeyoung looked around and let out a soundless ‘A’ with . Because of the conversation she had with her brother earlier, she didn’t realize that they already arrived at the entrance of the forest.

   

“Oh, well it can’t be helped. But we’ll race on our way home, you hear me?” Chaeyoung said while pointing to her younger brother.

   

“Alright, alright, anything you wish, Sister.” Jeonghoon laughed at her sister childish behaviour.

 

After convinced that Ice had been tied safely to a tree, Chaeyoung took the bow that had been slinging across her back. She looked at the quiver on her hip and counted that she had ten arrows in total. Chaeyoung fastened her quiver’s belt and nodded to herself. She turned her face to look at her little brother, checking if he had already finished with his preparation too.

   

“Are you ready?’

  

“Yes. Shall we start then?” Jeonghoon tilted his head to the side slightly.

 

Chaeyoung nodded and started walking ahead of Jeonghoon. As they went deeper into the forest, the calming smell of nature greeted their nose. The familiar smells of the damp earth combined with old fallen leaves. When Chaeyoung stepped on dry leaves, the small crisp sound could be heard. It was autumn after all. Fallen leaves were everywhere.

 

The forest was practically Chaeyoung’s playground. She had been going to this forest since she was a child and because of that, she knew it like the back of her hand. Although she had been going back and forth to this forest, she still found the forest fascinating for the eyes.

 

Chaeyoung took the usual path leading to Aba Lake at the center of the forest. She looked around to find a prey. Her eyes scanned her surrounding sharply. Her steps were very quiet and careful. Almost like there was no sound coming from her at all. Through the years, she practiced hard to suppress her presence. Although she wasn’t as good as her father’s yet, Chaeyoung was pretty much a little predator by now. That’s how she earned the nickname of Tiger Cub.

 

Round footprint could be seen lingering on the ground. Chaeyoung knew that a hog must’ve left them. She followed the footprints to a marsh. When something came into Chaeyoung’s field vision, she smirked.

 

Chaeyoung signalled Jeonghoon to stop walking. She slowly hid behind the nearest tree and looked at what she had just found. A wild boar. It was wandering aimlessly among the bushes. Chaeyoung exchanged glances with her little brother who stood silently across of her. She pointed at the boar and then to herself as if she was saying that the boar was her prey.

 

For two minutes, Chaeyoung stood still in her position, observing her prey’s behavior. Since there wasn’t any sudden movement from it, Chaeyoung nodded and decided that she would hunt it now.

 

Silently, Chaeyoung took one arrow from her quiver and positioned herself. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She repeated her deep breath several times and started to concentrate. The rough distance between them was about 45 yard. Slowly, Chaeyoung aimed at mid-point of the chest, which was located right behind the front shoulder. She placed one finger over the arrow and two fingers under and pulled back the bowstring with a heavy draw. After making sure that it would be a hit, Chaeyoung released her arrow.

 

Unfortunately, the wild boar moved to the left and from the look of it, Chaeyoung knew that her shot would be a miss.
.
.
.
“My dear daughter, do you believe in magic?”
.
.
.

 

As if something moved Chaeyoung’s arrow, it also turned to the left, precisely to where the wild boar position was. In that instant, the boar let out a loud cry as Chaeyoung’s arrow pierced its lungs. The boar tried to run away but after a minute, it stopped moving. Chaeyoung didn’t move from her position yet. She just stood there behind a tree and analyzing her prey’s movement. She wanted to make sure that the boar was already dead.

 

After a minute passed, Chaeyoung started walking toward the wild boar. She looked at the lifeless boar on the ground and nodded with satisfaction.

 

Jeonghoon followed her right behind.

   

“How did you do that?!”

 

Jeonghoon walked toward his sister with eyes wide open. Even though it was subtle, he knew that his sister had just done something amazing just now.

  

“Do what?” Chaeyoung tilted her head, pretending not to understand what Jeonghoon was talking.
   

“Earlier! Your arrow’s flight changed direction! I saw it myself!” Jeonghoon said half shouting. Still didn’t believe what he just saw.

 

“You’re overreacting, Jeonghoon. It’s just the wind!” Chaeyoung laughed aloud. Since Chaeyoung’s hair was short, the back of her nape was exposed and she kept scratching it while laughing.

 

Jeonghoon just stood beside his sister and gave her a suspicious look. He knew that wind didn’t capable to make such a drastic movement. He learnt about it after all. Besides, there was no big wind blowing when Chaeyoung released her arrow.

 

As Chaeyoung’s little brother, Jeonghoon had known Chaeyoung since he was born. He knew when his sister told him a lie, she would often scratch the back of her neck. It was her habit. Besides, Chaeyoung was a terrible actress. Her forced laugh couldn’t fool anyone. Especially her brother.

   

“My beloved sister, I’m not a fool you know.” Jeonghoon narrowed his eyes and looked at his sister cynically.

 

Chaeyoung stopped laughing and let out a defeated sigh. She knew that she could never lie to her brother. He was a sharp one. Chaeyoung took a deep breath and ruffled her short hair as if she was burdened by something.

 

Chaeyoung stopped her frantic movement and opened .

 

“Well actually…” Chaeyoung paused. She looked into her brother’s eyes. Jeonghoon was looking at her with curiosity. Expecting her to spill out the beans. “There was indeed a trick to it.”

   

“I knew it!” Jeonghoon pointed his finger at his sister accusingly. “You should teach me the trick! It was really cool!” He exclaimed happily.

 

Chaeyoung let out another sigh.

   

“To be honest with you, this is something that I cannot teach to others.”

 

Jeonghoon furrowed his brows. His sister’s words confused him. For as long as he could remember, teaching him something new was one of the things that his sister loved to do. For her to play secretive with him like this was somewhat odd.

   

“Is there any reason behind it?”

   

“Of course. It’s not that I don’t want to teach you the trick, it’s just that I can’t.” Chaeyoung tried to explain the situation to her brother without giving him proper details.

 

When Jeonghoon looked at his sister right in the eyes, he knew that his sister was being serious right now. Therefore, he didn’t push the matter any longer and just believe in his sister’s word. He knew that his sister had her own reason that she couldn’t talk to him at the moment and so, he’ll just wait until his sister ready to tell him.

   

“Trust me, I’ll tell you about it one day.” Chaeyoung’s voice sounded sincere.

   

“I believe in you.” Jeonghoon nodded and gave his sister a smile.

 

Feeling touched by her brother’s words, Chaeyoung replied Jeonghoon’s smiled sincerely.

   

“Thank you Jeonghoon.”

 

Jeonghoon shook his head and mouthed a voiceless ‘No problem’.

 

“Shall we continue our hunt then?”

 

“Okay, let’s go!” Chaeyoung ruffled her little brother’s hair happily.

 

Even though Jeonghoon was already taller than she was, Chaeyoung still liked to ruffle her brother’s hair and treated him like a little child. Chaeyoung was very thankful that she had an understanding and supportive brother. Chaeyoung would love to share her little secret with her brother someday. Of course, if her father permitted.

 


 


“Mistress Chaeyoung and Master Jeonghoon! Out there hunting again?”

 

As soon as Chaeyoung and Jeonghoon entered Lomatia, they were greeted by the peasant who was looking after their field.

 

“Mister Muta! Yes, we just went for a small hunt as usual.” Chaeyoung waved to the peasant and happily showed her catch that day.

 

Besides Chaeyoung, Jeonghoon also gave the peasant a smile.

   

“How’s the field doing?” Chaeyoung asked the peasant back.

    “

It’s looking pretty good!” Mister Muta, the peasant was laughing heartily. “Please expect another top-grade crop this year too! I’ll deliver it to The Viscount’s house later.”

 

Chaeyoung’s smiled widened when she heard Mister Muta’s words, showing her beautiful dimple.

   

“I will! Thank you so much Mister Muta! See you later!” Chaeyoung said her goodbye and weaved to the peasant before she took her way home.

 

Just as their father, Chaeyoung and Jeonghoon were both very popular among villagers. Chaeyoung was known for being friendly and she befriends anyone regardless of their social status. Not to mention she was a blossoming flower whose beauty couldn’t be compared to anyone other than her mother. Men adored her and women respected her. For Jeonghoon, he was exceptionally popular among girls of Lomatia. Good looking with a well-built body, humble personality and mature mind, Jeonghoon was every girl’s ideal type. Although he could make some improvement in his social skill.

 

After walking their horses back to the stables, Chaeyoung and Jeonghoon went to their home. Even though Chaeyoung’s father was The Viscount of Lomatia, their house was not a castle or anything extravagant. It was indeed bigger than most of the house in Lomatia, but there was not much different that showed that it was a house of a viscount.  Except maybe the location that was a little bit higher than the rest of the town. Chaeyoung father said that the reason why he built the house on the higher ground was so that he could check on his people easily.

 

In the Son Household, they had one butler, one chef and one steward. For Chaeyoung, they were like her own family because they’ve been with her since she was born. And because of that, she always treated them equally, not like an employer and their employee.

 

The sun was already set when Chaeyoung and Jeonghoon entered the house with their catch in the hand. Sooka, the butler, greeted them immediately.

   

“Welcome back Mistress Chaeyoung and Master Jeonghoon, I assume you had a great time at the forest, no?” Sooka bowed to the two figures in front of him slowly.

 

“Yes, it was fun!” Chaeyoung laughed and gestured Sooka to raise his head. “Oh and Jeonghoon almost beat me in a race earlier! He’s getting so much better! He’ll suppress me in no time.” Chaeyoung added.

 

“Well, Young Master is a fast learner after all.” Sooka turned her attention at Chaeyoung’s little brother and gave him a warm smile.

 

“It’s not like that, Sooka. Sister just went easy on me.” Jeonghoon sighed, remembering his defeat.

 

Sooka was still looking at Jeonghoon and his smile had gotten wider. He knew that Jeonghoon often looking down at his own self. Sooka had always been there to encourage his young master so that he’ll realize that he had unlimited potential.

 

“You still have a lot more room to grow.” Sooka said and his warm smile hadn’t disappeared from his face.

 

Seeing how Sooka trusted him so much that someday he’ll top his sister, Jeonghoon replied Sooka’s smile with another one.

   

“Thanks, Sooka.”

 

Chaeyoung looking at their interaction with a smile on her face. Sometimes, Chaeyoung envied Sooka because he could boost Jeonghoon’s confidence easily, unlike her. As Jeonghoon’s older sister, of course, Chaeyoung wanted what the best for her brother. She knew that her brother had so many potentials but he was lack of self-confidence. She knew that part of the reason was because he was always being compared to her. She did feel guilty about it. Therefore, Chaeyoung always tried her best to make Jeonghoon realized that he shouldn’t belittle himself and have more confidence in her own skill.

 

“Anyway, is father home?” Chaeyoung asked Sooka while looking around the living room, trying to found a trace of her father.

 

“He’s not home yet, Miss. But he did say that he will have dinner at home.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded understandingly and mothed a soundless ‘I see’. She then went to the kitchen and found her mother and Taehoo, their personal chef was about to prepare their dinner. Her mother looked like she was giving some instructions to Taehoo. Since it was a great timing, she handed Taehoo her today’s catch so that he could change it into something delicious. Jeonghoon did the same.

   

“Not a good luck today?” Viscountess Son asked her children when she saw that Chaeyoung and Jeonghoon only brought a wild boar and two rabbits home.

   

“It’s not like that. We avoided excessive hunting as you suggested, Mother.” Chaeyoung excused to her mother.

   

“It was a good thing that I was there. Chaeyoung almost shot every deer that we came across. Good thing that I stopped her.” Jeonghoon let out a sigh when he remembered how hard it is to stop his impulsive sister.

   

“I swear you take after your father too much…” Chaeyoung’s mother rubbed her temple and sighed.

 

When she heard her mother’s statement, Chaeyoung just laughed in return.

   

“Now go clean yourselves! I don’t want to smell sweats when we eat dinner!”   

 

“As you wish mother!”

   

“Alright, mother.”

 

Chaeyoung and Jeonghoon answered simultaneously and went to their respective room upstairs to clean themselves.

 

After finished with her bath, Chaeyoung’s night kirtle was already laid on her bed. She assumed that Ivy, the steward had prepared it for her. Even though when Chaeyoung went hunting she would often wear tunics, trousers and leather boots, at home she often dressed more ‘lady-like’. She didn’t want to hear her mother's nitpicking after all.

 

Chaeyoung started changing and after she finished, she came out form her room and walked down to the dining room. The sound of flickering fires from the torches and candles entered her ears, telling her that it was already nighttime.

 

Inside the dining room, Jeonghoon, Chaeyoung’s father and mother were already there. Chaeyoung pulled the chair beside her mother and sat there slowly.

   

“Since everyone is here, shall we start our dinner?” Chaeyoung’s father looked at everyone. The moment he got a nod from his family, he started to pray. The other followed immediately.

 

After finished praying, they started to eat the meal in front of them. Chaeyoung’s father started the conversation.

   

“So, how was today’s hunt? I heard from your mother that you started limiting your prey?” Chaeyoung’s father shifted his eyes at her.

   

“Ah yes. I thought it would be a good time for me to start to learn about limitation.” Chaeyoung replied.

   

“It was really hard to hold her though.” Jeonghoon joined their conversation.

   

“You should learn a thing or two from your brother, Chaeyoung.” Chaeyoung’s mother added.

 

The four of them laughed happily while exchanging conversation. The Son’s household was always lively and warm and Chaeyoung loved that so much.

   

“Anyway Chaeyoung, it’s kind of sudden but I need you to come with me to Mirea tomorrow.”

 

Chaeyoung looked at her father when he spoke. From the look of it, she knew that her father had something planned for her. It wasn’t going to ‘just for fun trip’. Maybe it was time for her father to report to Marquis Kim and he wanted her to come and learnt something about it. Or maybe it had something to do with her secret. Regardless of the reason, Chaeyoung knew that she couldn’t reject her father’s wish.

   

“Okay, father.” Chaeyoung nodded as her response.

 

After they finished the dinner, Chaeyoung excused herself and went to her room. She threw herself on the bed out of exhaustion. She needs to wake up early for tomorrow but it seems that she still wanted to stay awake for a little bit. The swaying’s shadow of the fire from the candle reflected on the wall and she just stares at it absentmindedly.

 

Chaeyoung couldn’t shake the feeling that something was waiting for her in Mirae. Usually, her father always told her several days prior if he wanted Chaeyoung to come with him to Mirae. She had been there many times before and Marquis Kim’s daughter was actually her best friend. There should be nothing to worry about but the uneasy feeling just won’t leave her heart. Chaeyoung got up from her bed, shook her head lightly and changed into her usual tunic and trouser.

   

“This won’t do”

 

Chaeyoung took one of the beeswaxes from her room and walked out of her house to the training field behind her house. Before she went out, she didn’t forget put her beeswax on a table near the back door and grabbed her weapon of choice, the quarterstaff. When she was outside, chilly wind blow her hair in the air. Autumn’s wind was a little harsh, but since she had been training since she was a child, it wasn’t a big deal for her.

 

When Chaeyoung was around eight, her father taught her the basic skill in a fistfight. When she was ten, her father introduced her to any kind of weapon. After she tried every possible weapon, her choice fell to a quarterstaff. Her reason was simple. She didn’t want to hold something too dangerous that could kill her opponent. When she told her father about her reason, The Viscount of Lomatia could only laugh and patted his daughter’s head lovingly.

 

Although it wasn’t as dangerous as a sword or a lance, quarterstaff could give a deathly blow if used correctly. And Chaeyoung had been trained with it for eight years now, so it’s best not to underestimate her skill.

 

Chaeyoung took a deep breath a let it out slowly. She started to get into her stance and concentrated. Although there was no lighting nearby, the light from the full moon is enough to illuminate her surroundings. Just when she was about to do her first swing, a soft voice entered her ears.

   

“May I join you, Mistress?”

 

Chaeyoung looked back and found that it was Sooka’s voice. Chaeyoung let out a relieved sigh. She was a little surprised for a moment there.

   

“Of course, it’s my pleasure.” Chaeyoung turned around to face Sooka.

 

Sooka was already holding his own quarterstaff. Sooka might be a little old but Chaeyoung knew how strong he was. In fact, he taught Chaeyoung so many moves and she still hasn’t won a single match against her family’s butler.

   

“Don’t come easy at me okay?” Chaeyoung prepared her stance once again and smiled. Her dimple showed.

   

“As you wish Miss Chaeyoung.” Sooka replied Chaeyoung’s smile.

 

Sooka also got into his position. When they both ready, Chaeyoung was the first one to strike. She charged full speed while swinging her staff and aimed for Sooka’s head. Of course, Sooka could already saw this move coming. He blocked Chaeyoung’s staff with his own staff and a loud sound could be heard when the two staffs met. Sooka stayed in his position and with great strength, pulled Chaeyoung’s attack back.

 

As soon as Chaeyoung stumbled backwards, Sooka launched his counter-attack. He also aimed for Chaeyoung’s head and Chaeyoung raised her staff to block the incoming hit. However, that was only a faint. He immediately changed his target to Chaeyoung’s leg instead. Fortunately, Chaeyoung could jump and avoid it in time.

 

They continued to exchange blows but none of them was a hit. Not until Sooka stepped up his game a little, Chaeyoung was finally having difficulties in dodging and blocking Sooka’s attack. Sooka’s speed was no joke. Chaeyoung had difficulties to saw the movement of Sooka’s staff. She kept walking backwards while blocking Sooka’s attack and when she stumbled across a stone, Sooka took that as his chance and knocked Chaeyoung’s feet, making her fell to the ground.

 

When Chaeyoung opened her eyes, all she knew that she was already on the ground and Sooka was pointing his staff to her head.

   

“I lost…” Chaeyoung said while trying to breathe. It seems that her wish to win against Sooka at least once was still far from her reach. She noted herself that she should add her practice hours later.

   

It was a really good fight, Miss Chaeyoung. You’ve improved a lot.” Sooka pulled back his staff and laughed happily. Even though it seems that it was an easy win for him, his breathing was actually getting irregular as well.

 

Chaeyoung spread both her arms and her legs and closed her eyes, trying to breathe normally again. Sooka put down his staff and sat beside Chaeyoung, silently watching after her. When it was a good time for a talk, Sooka started the conversation.

   

“Is there something wrong, Mistress?”

 

Chaeyoung opened her eyes and looked at her butler. It seems that she really couldn’t lie to people.

   

“Am I that easy to read?”

 

Sooka let out a soft laugh and his face scrunched.

   

“Mistress, you’re the type of person who expresses what you feel with both your expressions and movements. Your movements earlier, you hesitated a lot.”

 

Chaeyoung responded with a dry laugh. Aside from her fighting skill, apparently, she also needed to learn how to control her emotions.

   

“It’s nothing serious actually. It’s just that, when father told me that I’ll be coming with him tomorrow to Mirea, I somehow have this uneasy and I just couldn’t shake it off.” Chaeyoung looked at the full moon above her. It was so beautiful yet the beauty didn’t manage to rid her anxious.

   

“I see…” Sooka replied quietly. He raised her face and looked at the moon above. “Miss Chaeyoung, as someone who had been watching you grew since you’re baby, I know that you’ll be able to face whatever awaits you in the future. You have a clear resolution in everything that you did and never wavered no matter what other people said to you.”

 

Sooka looked away from the moon and shifted his eyes to meet with Chaeyoung’s.

   

“As long as you stay true to yourself, everything will be alright.” A warm smile spread on Sooka’s wrinkled face.

 

Chaeyoung took in everything that Sooka said in her mind. Sooka was right, as long as she stayed true to herself, she felt like she could face anything. As long as she didn’t lose herself, she would continue to move forward.
    
   

“You’re right…” Chaeyoung’s cute dimple was visible on her cheek, as her smile grew wider. Talking to Sooka would always raise her mood. “Thank you so much, Sooka.”

   

“My pleasure, Miss Chaeyoung.”

 

Sooka looked at Chaeyoung just like a grandfather to his own grandchild. In a way, he did raise her after all. Therefore, he felt a great affection towards both Chaeyoung and Jeonghoon.

   

“Well then, shall we go inside? You have to wake up early for tomorrow after all.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded as her answer. She got up from her position and shrugged her body to clean the grass that stuck to her body. She also shook her head so that the one that stuck to her hair would fall. Chaeyoung took her quarterstaff and looked at the full moon once again. She took a deep breath and let it out.

   

I’m ready for tomorrow.

 


 


Mirea was the capital of The Province of Sudic and was ruled by Marquis Kim. It was located in the west of Lomatia and the distances were about 75 miles. With a horse, it took about three days to arrive. The Province of Sudic was the only province in the Kingdom of Lume which adjacent to the neighbouring kingdom, The Kingdom of Soare. Therefore, east of Lomatia, a gigantic wall was there to separate the two kingdoms. The only means to pass the wall was only through one and only gate, Hebare.

 

North-west from Mirea was Shinoa city, where Sudic Port was located. To go to Lume’s main island, the boat was the only option and Sudic Port was the only Port located in Sudic province. The journey from Sudic Port to Frate Port was two days and one night.

 

After thorough preparation, Chaeyoung left early in the morning with her father. Usually, they went there using the horse-drawn carriage and was escorted by a coachman. However, since this time they seem to be in a hurry, Chaeyoung father suggested that they should ride their own horse and Chaeyoung had agreed. Besides, it was kind of an opportunity to have a race with her father since Chaeyoung’s father was always busy these past few months. Although it was exhausting, Chaeyoung sure that she would enjoy the three days trip.

 

After the long three days trip came to an end, Chaeyoung and her father finally arrived at Mirea. As soon as they entered the gate to the city, the noise of the bustling city entered their ears. Merchants shouted to everyone passing by, vying to sell their goods. Kids were running here and there, playing while laughing happily. The chit-chat sound by people exchanging conversation in every corner of the city. All kind of voices colored the air.

 

Mirea was very different from Lomatia. From the total of the population and the architecture of the city, everything was different. No wonder it was the capital of Sudic Province. Although Lomatia had its own charm, Mirea was definitely the place where people came to bet their luck.

 

If it were Chaeyoung’s first time to visit this enormous city, she would surely be surprised by the beauty of the city. One that she couldn’t saw in her hometown. However, Chaeyoung still preferred Lomatia over Mirea. Chaeyoung just preferred a quiet place so that she could immerse herself in her own little world.

 

The guards of the gate greeted Chaeyoung and her father upon their arrival and immediately escorted them to the castle. The place where Marquis Kim live was located deep inside the city and on the edge of a hill. It was Ruer Castle. The size of Ruer Castle was enormous. Possibly, ten times bigger than Chaeyoung’s house back in Lomatia. Its tall tower soared into the sky and it could be seen as soon as Chaeyoung entered the gate to Mirea. Although the sensation of seeing it up close was different, of course. At the top of the tower, The Kim Marquisdom flags were dancing freely in the air.

 

Chaeyoung and her father handed their horse to the stables boys and the guard escorted them inside the castle. When they were inside the castle, one of the butlers showed them to their respective room, telling them that The Marquis would greet them later at dinner and suggested that they should take a little rest.

 

Chaeyoung got into her room and took care of her luggage that had been delivered to her room by the steward. After finished, she walked to the windows and saw that the sun was almost set. She would love to take a bath before attending the dinner because she wouldn’t want to look messy in front of the ruler of Sudic Province. Besides, The Marquis’ daughter would probably be there too, she didn’t want to be teased because of her ‘improper’ appearance.

 

Just when Chaeyoung was about to take off her clothes, she heard some knocks on her door. She thought that it was her father and he wanted to discuss something with her, especially regarding the matter they will discuss with Marquis Kim. Chaeyoung wanted to know but she couldn’t bring herself to ask her father directly, so she waited until her father told her. And maybe the time has come. With some expectation, Chaeyoung opened the door.

   

“Yes?”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes widened in surprise as soon as she saw the figure standing before her. It was truly an unexpected visit.

   

“Dah ̶  I mean, Lady Dahyun?! What brings you here?” Chaeyoung glanced to the side and saw that the person that visited her brought some company. She immediately gave the person in front of her a curtsy.

   

“It’s been a while since we saw each other and that’s the first thing that you said to me?” The person in front of Chaeyoung furrowed her brows. She gestured to the person behind her which probably her maid to leave them and entered Chaeyoung’s room.

   

“You could at least dropped the formalities you know.” The person that Chaeyoung called by the name Dahyun pouted. Her furrowed brows were almost looked like they were knitted as one.

   

“Well, there’s your maid. Besides, you’re still Marquis Kim’s daughter.” Chaeyoung shrugged and reasoned, relaxed her position when the maid wasn’t there anymore. “So, how can I help you, My Lady?” Chaeyoung bobbed another curtsy to the person in front of her.

   

“Would you please stop that? I’m getting uncomfortable here.”

 

The said person slapped Chaeyoung’s arm lightly and Chaeyoung burst into laughter. Finally, the frown on the other person’s face disappeared as she started laughing together with Chaeyoung. After the laughs died down, Chaeyoung was hugged by the slightly taller young woman.

   

“It’s nice to see you again, Chaeyoung.”

 

Chaeyoung immersed herself in the warm hug and reciprocated them. A warm smile lifted the corner of .

   

“Yes, it’s nice to see you too, Dahyun.”

 

The person named Dahyun suddenly broke the hug and scrunched her face.

   

“You stink though.”

 

Chaeyoung burst into another round of laughter. Dahyun was always full of surprise and Chaeyoung preferred it that way.

 

Kim Dahyun was the daughter of Marquis Kim and Chaeyoung’s best friend. They’ve known each other since they were still a child. Because of the nobility affairs of their father, they often met at least once a month or once per two months. Since the between them was only a year, even though Dahyun was older than she was, Chaeyoung never felt awkward around Dahyun at all. As soon as they exchanged their first conversation, they knew that they shared many things in common. Chaeyoung and Dahyun often wrote a letter to each other. Nothing really important, just sharing their everyday lives and discussed what to do in their next meeting.

 

Compared to Chaeyoung, Dahyun’s nobility was shown the moment someone laid their eyes to her. The aura surrounding her was somewhat different from normal people. Chaeyoung thought that Dahyun was really beautiful. Her armpit-length caramel hair that shone beautifully, combined with her fair skin could mesmerize everyone. Dahyun also carried herself gracefully, unlike Chaeyoung. However, the younger girl knew that the real self of Kim Dahyun wasn’t that different from her.

 

Around Chaeyoung, Dahyun showed her true color. She actually liked to prank people, told a lame joke, and laughed out loud just like earlier. That’s why Chaeyoung was a precious friend for Dahyun. Chaeyoung was that one person where Dahyun could just forget her label as The Marquis’ Daughter. 6Chaeyoung never treated Dahyun differently, like many other her so-called friends that only wanted to take her for granted. With Chaeyoung, she was just Kim Dahyun. No more or no less

 

“Say, do you have any idea why my father insisted that I should come here with him?” Chaeyoung sat down on the chair at the corner of the room while Dahyun was sitting on the bed.

 

“No, I haven’t heard anything related to that.” Dahyun shook her head. From the look on her face, it seemed that she told the truth. “Father did say that he wanted to talk about something during dinner later. It seems that it was important.”

 

Dahyun paused and looked down to her hand. She locked her fingers together and then loosened it again. She did that several times as if she was picking what word to say.

   

“Father didn’t tell me anything about it but my guess is, whatever he wants to say, I bet it’s related to us.” Dahyun tightened her hand’s grip.

 

Chaeyoung, who had been looking at Dahyun the whole time, finally turned her head to the window. The last ray of the sun was slowly fading into the horizon. The candle that had been lit beforehand supported the reminiscent of the sun’s light that still managed to enter the room.

   

“Yeah, I think so too…”

 

That last word form Chaeyoung hanged in the air, leaving the room in a complete silence.

   

“Anyway, nothing good comes from worrying. We’ll find the answer in a moment.”

 

Hearing her best friend’s words somehow reassured Dahyun a little. Her tightly joined hands started to get relaxed slowly. She looked at Chaeyoung’s face and smiled. It was fortunate that she had Chaeyoung together with her.

   

“You know, sometimes you’re just too bright.”

   

“Really?” Chaeyoung raised one of her eyebrow in question. “But you have fairer skin!”

 

Dahyun burst out into laughter by Chaeyoung response. Chaeyoung was just too much.

  

“Anyway, go clean yourself! I bet you haven’t bathed for three days.” Dahyun wiped the tears that started to gather on her eyes.

 

Realized that Dahyun wasn’t worried anymore, Chaeyoung felt relief and let out a small smile. She then straightened her posture and gave Dahyun a salute.

   

“As you wish, My Lady!”

 

Again, Dahyun broke into another laughter.

 


 

“So, how’s little Chaeyoung been doing these days?”

 

The dinner was over, it was only Chaeyoung, her father, Dahyun, and Marquis Kim left in the dining room. Earlier, Marquis Kim asked every other occupant of the room to leave the four of them alone. Chaeyoung expected that they would have the real talk now. Yet, to make the situation less tense, Marquis Kim asked Chaeyoung mundane things in advance.

   

“Ah Yes, I’ve been doing well, My Lord.” Chaeyoung bowed her head while answering.

 

Marquis Kim was just your typical friendly noble. He was at his late fifty but his spirit was still young. He often challenged Chaeyoung’s father to a duel. Everyone in Sudic Province knew that he was a legendary dual wielder swordsman. Before, when Lume was still in a war with its neighbor kingdom, Marquis Kim contributed a lot to Lume’s victory, just as Chaeyoung’s father.

   

“How about practice? Are you doing both?” Marquis Kim looked Chaeyoung at the eyes. His brown eyes were glimmering because of the fire from the beeswax.

 

“Of course, although I think it’s almost time to double my practice.” Chaeyoung laughed awkwardly. She knew that Marquis Kim was a good person, but she couldn’t help but felt overwhelmed by his aura.

   

“It’s because she hasn’t been able to beat Sooka yet.” Chaeyoung’s father added while laughing.

 

Chaeyoung threw a deathly glare to her father in which her father responded by laughing louder. Marquis Kim and Dahyun followed the laughing party.

   

“Anyway, I heard from The Marquis that Lady Dahyun’s had just broken her own record? That’s amazing.” As soon as Chaeyoung’s father finished his laugh, he shifted her attention to Dahyun.

   

“It’s just a coincidence though.” Dahyun swung her palm left and right to deny every compliment that comes her way.

   

“Nonsense! You started to train to shoot in 300 yards already, doesn’t it meant that you already broke the 200 yards record?” Dahyun’s father retorted.

   

“Is that so?” Dahyun laughed awkwardly. Her father was always over proud of her.

   

“Anyway…” Kim Marquis cleared his throat so that he had all the attention he needed. “Let’s talk about the reason why you’re being called here, Chaeyoung.” His expression suddenly changed seriously.

 

Knowing that Marquis Kim was about to reveal something big, suddenly Chaeyoung’s stiffened on her seat. Chaeyoung straightened her posture and looked at The Marquis nervously. She took a peek to both her father and Dahyun and their expression wasn’t that far from her own. It could be seen clearly that all of them was nervous. Even the air surrounding them felt really thick.

 

Marquis Kim turned his head between Dahyun and Chaeyoung repeatedly and started opening his mouth.
    
   

“Dahyun and Chaeyoung, you know that both of you are very special, right?”

 

Dahyun and Chaeyoung nodded consecutively. They knew it too well that they were different from others, they knew that they were unique.


Marquis Kim paused for a while. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and let it out. When it looks like he finally found his resolve, he looked at Dahyun and Chaeyoung once again.

   

“I know this will sound unreasonable and so sudden but…”

 

Chaeyoung gulped hard. She didn’t know why but she felt really tensed. It seemed that whatever Marquis Kim was going to say would stir something in her life. She didn't know why but she just had that hunch. And her hunch usually was right.

   

“I want you two to find someone named Minatozaki Sana.”

 


 

A/N : And that was the first chapter! Thank you so much for reading. This chapter is just an introduction to the characters and the world setting. Next chapter, we'll meet other Twice member! Guess who? Hahaha

Anyway, I'll try to update regularly every week or every two week, let's pray that I'm not too absorbed in playing games and watching animes. See you next chapter~