Your girlfriend?

My enemy, My girlfriend

A/N: Hi guys. This is a joyri fic with them being longtime “enemies” but joy gets hurt in an accident and thinks Yeri is her girlfriend, leaving Yeri with little choice but to pretend. Enjoy

 

For as long as Kim Yerim could remember, she and Park Sooyoung were sworn enemies. The now 20-year-old can’t remember a time when they hadn’t been at odds. It’s also been so long that she can’t even think back to how or when it all began. She just knows that Park Sooyoung is her enemy and that is how it will stay. Today is a such day where she’s just minding her own business, trying to go over notes for her psychology class, when someone flicks her in the back of the head.

 

“Hey there, Yerimie,” Sooyoung taunts her.

 

“Go away, giant,” the blonde pushes her hand away from her. Sooyoung laughs out loud and sits down besides her. Yeri tries to ignore the presence of the taller girl, but she continues to be her usual annoying self.

 

“Yeri-ah!” The dark-haired girl says in a sudden cute tone and then pokes her cheek.

 

“Stop it,” Yeri pushes her hand away again. It’s always like this: they argue, name call, pull hair, and pranks among other things. They’ve done so many annoying things to one another over the years. The only problem is neither one of them seems to want to back down from this. It’s like they know the other won’t quit and it fuels their energy to keep on going. Yeri wonders when or how someone will break the cycle.

 

“Hey, Yeri. I need to tell you something.”

 

“No, you don’t. I need to go, bye Sooyoung.”

 

“Hey, wait! I really do need to tell you something.”

 

“Goodbye, Sooyoung,” Yeri repeats and decides she will go to her class early. It wasn’t her first choice. She honestly wanted to sit and study a little bit while she had the time, but all because of that stupid Park Sooyoung, she couldn’t even do that.

 

“Stupid, annoying Sooyoung.”

 

There has to be a way to get back at her and for good, only what can she do? It can’t be a typical prank like switching her food, or placing a kick me sign to her back. There has to be something more.

 

“Maybe I can ask some of my unnies.” She knows two of the most savage, legendary prank queens in their university, Choi Sooyoung and Im Yoona. They would certainly help her come up with the revenge to end all the revenges.

 

“What to do? I should talk to my unnies.”

 

After her current class Yeri has a break period before her next class, so she decides that now is the perfect time to go and find one of her unnies. She likes to think she can avoid the idiots on their phone, who aren’t paying attention to what’s in front of them. She does pretty well for the most part, that is until she bumps right into the devil herself. They both fall onto the ground in hard thuds.

 

“Ow, what the hell…” Yeri opens her eyes to see the dark-haired girl sitting there looking back at her with the same startled expression.

 

“Oh, my god, it’s you again,” Yeri sighs.

 

“Hey, you’re the one who bumped into me!”

 

“Ugh, you’re the idiot on your phone. Now, please get out of my life,” the blonde picks herself up off the ground and walks off. Sooyoung just stares at her with a smirk on her face. That’s the last thing she’s about to do.

 

“Not a chance, Yerimie.”

 

Yeri doesn’t get the chance to speak to her two most savage unnies. She does however gets the chance to speak to her friend, Bae Joohyun. She acts like she’s her mom and older sister all in one. If there’s anyone she can come to for basic advice it would be her.

 

“Unnie, help me,” she whines as she sits down next to her.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“It’s Sooyoung! She never leaves me alone. I need to get revenge and I need it to stick, so she knows better to not mess with me ever again.”

 

The older, dark-haired girl looks at her with a look of concern. She has known about this ongoing feud with Sooyoung for some time. The truth is she thinks the two of them just like one another romantically. She has tried telling Yeri that, but the younger girl doesn’t want to hear it.

 

“Yeri-ah, I really think she likes you.”

 

“No, don’t say that unnie. I will accept anything but that.”

 

“No, really. She pays you way too much personal attention to not like you and you wouldn’t care so much if you didn’t like her back.”

 

“Unnie, you’re terrible at giving advice.”

 

“I…” Joohyun pauses because her phone is ringing. She lights up and lets out a loud, excited scream. Yeri has to cover her ears from the sudden loud, high-pitched dolphin sound that erupts from the older girl.

 

“Unnie, calm down. It’s only your girlfriend.” Yeri rolls her eyes. Joohyun isn’t even listening she just answers the call.

 

“Seulgi-yah, baby! Hi, I’ve missed you so much. What? You’re at school now? No I’m not busy. I’ll meet you!”

 

Yeri doesn’t even try to remind Joohyun that she was just talking to her. She knows better than to come between Joohyun and her girlfriend Seulgi. That reminds Yeri about something else. Sooyoung is friends with Seulgi. It surprised Yeri that Sooyoung even has friends in the first place, but from what she can see they are friends. She wonders if there is some way she can get Joohyun to talk to Seulgi, who can then talk to Sooyoung for her. She runs into the couple later that day. Joohyun is busy feeding the brunette, monolid girl and Yeri has to try her best not to gag.

 

“Hey, Seulgi-unnie, can I talk to you?”

 

“Oh, sure, Yeri, what’s going on?”

 

“It’s about your friend, Sooyoung.”

 

“Oh, what about? She’s not in trouble again is she?”

 

“How the hell should I know?” Yeri shrugs. She isn’t Sooyoung’s keeper and doesn’t pay her enough attention to know when she’s in trouble or not. She just cares that Seulgi talks to her.

 

“Hey, don’t be rude to my girlfriend!” Joohyun warns her in that particular tone that lets Yeri know she better show some respect or else. Yeri isn’t particularly scared of Joohyun most of the time, but she does know better than to mess with her at certain points. Everyone knows you don’t mess with her girlfriend in anyway, or face the consequences.

 

“Sorry, anyway. I need you to talk to her. She is the most annoying person in the world and she won’t leave me alone.”

 

Seulgi has her own suspicions that Sooyoung likes Yeri. She’s known her for some years now and the way she acts around Yeri is enough of a hint. The girl pays no one else the same amount of attention that she does to Kim Yeri. Although, when she has asked Sooyoung if she does like her, the younger girl denies it so completely.

 

“I think she likes you, Yeri.”

 

“See, I told you!” Joohyun nods.

 

“Ew, no. I have standards.”

 

“Hey, Sooyoung isn’t a bad looking girl. Actually, she’s pretty and you are too, Yeri-ah. Seul and I think you’d make a cute couple.”

 

“Betrayed by my own mother,” Yeri sighs and teases Joohyun. She gets up and hits the younger girl in the arm.

 

“I am not your mother!”

 

“Bye mom. I have revenge to plan!” The blonde grins and runs off. Joohyun doesn’t even a chance to go after her, because Seulgi is gently pulling her down to sit. She turns her face to her own for a kiss.

 

“Hey, calm down, Hyunnie. The kids will work this out.”

 

“I hope so, I don’t want anyone to get hurt.”

 

Only, they continue on. Sooyoung does little things like makes sure Yeri is unable to buy the last dish of the food she likes, as she buys it first. She makes sure she doesn’t hold the elevator for her, so she’ll be late for class. She even pranks her by writing a love note to some male student and says it’s from Yeri. The blonde has had enough and Sooyoung will pay for this with her life. She has no time for anything elaborate. What she does is make sure there’s an empty classroom and places a bucket up top that is designed to pour water on her from above. She had a bit of help from another friend as far as getting the bucket up there. Then she leads Sooyoung to the classroom. The taller girl is very suspicious as to why Yeri is being so nice.

 

“Why are we going to an empty classroom? Did you want to make out with me?” she teases.

 

“You wish- I mean, yes.” Yeri smiles.

 

“What?” Sooyoung blinks. She didn’t see that one coming and something was feeling a bit off. Sooyoung decided that she might as well stay and see through this, since she has already come this far.

 

Yeri gestures to the door, “why don’t you go in first, Sooyoung?”

 

“No, why don’t you go in first?”

 

“No, I insist, go ahead,” Yeri smiles all charmingly and hopes it works. Sooyoung isn’t buying it. That’s why she doesn’t go inside willingly. It ends up in a bit of a shoving match, but Yeri does manage to push the taller girl through the door.

 

“What the actual hell!” Sooyoung screams and not only gets dumped with water, but she also skids on the floor and hits her head hard. That wasn’t what Yeri wanted at all. When she sees that Sooyoung is just sitting there dazed and out of it, she rushes towards her to see if the other girl is alright.

 

“Oh, wow, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for you to get actually hurt.”

 

Yeri lightly smacks her face to get her to come out of whatever state she is in. It takes a few minutes to really snap Sooyoung out of it. Yeri decides the only right thing to do is take her to the medical services area. She takes a hold of her arm and leads the way over. She does feel bad now. It wasn’t meant to get this out of hand.

 

“Hi, can you take care of….” Yeri stops. She can’t just call this girl her friend. They aren’t friends. “Park Sooyoung,” she finishes. “There’s been an accident.”

 

Yeri sticks around just long enough to see Sooyoung is going to be fine and she calls Joohyun to tell Seulgi, so at the least someone can be there with her. When she fully explains the situation to Joohyun. The older girl lets her have it.

 

“Really, were you trying to kill her!”

 

“No, it was an accident. I didn’t know she would trip that hard.”

 

“Jesus, Yeri. Listen, just go to class okay, Seul and I will stay and make sure she’s fine. I’ll let you know how she’s doing.”

 

“Okay, thank you, unnie.”

 

Yeri expected to hear something that day, only the rest of the day passed with not as much as a word. She assumed that maybe everything was fine after all and tomorrow Sooyoung would be back to her old self. When she arrived at school the next day, she gets an urgent text from Joohyun. It’s telling her to meet her right now as soon as possible. The text alone was able to scare Yeri, with possibilities of something awful happening in her mind.

 

“Oh my god. I didn’t kill her, did I?”

 

She’s running all sorts of terrible scenarios in her head, going to jail being the main one. She meets Joohyun outside as she asked. The raven is looking like she’s actually trying to hold her laughter in.

 

“Unnie, what’s wrong?”

 

“Oh, are you in for a surprise?”

 

“Is Sooyoung dead? Am I going to jail?”

 

“Oh,” Joohyun laughs then. “She’s not dead, but you might want to prepare yourself.”

 

“Prepare myself for…”

 

The next thing she hears is footsteps running at full speed and someone wrapping their arms around her in a huge hug.

 

“What the hell!”

 

“Yerimie, baby! I’ve missed you.”

 

“Baby?” Yeri mouths and is turned around to see a smiling Sooyoung. Why the hell is she smiling and why isn’t she angry.

 

“She just couldn’t wait to see you, Yeri.” Seulgi lets her know as she comes over too. Sooyoung ran away from her the second she was able to. She said she needed to see Yeri now.

 

“Oh, are you going to kill me?”

 

“Kill you?” The dark-haired girl laughs. “Why would I hurt my girlfriend.”

 

“Your what!” The blonde screams. Joohyun starts cracking up then, as she is no longer able to hide her true laughter. All yesterday Sooyoung kept complaining about how she wanted to see her girlfriend. She wanted to see Yeri and didn’t understand why no one was letting her see her. Joohyun and Seulgi decided they would just give it some time and maybe it would go away. Unfortunately, it didn’t go away and Sooyoung believes that she is Yeri’s girlfriend.

 

“Yes, I’m your girlfriend, right?”

 

“You’re …” Yeri doesn’t know what to say. She felt horrible for yesterday, but does she feel that bad to be willing to pretend to be Sooyoung’s girlfriend? Sooyoung is looking at her with such hopeful eyes and Yeri sighs. Perhaps she won’t have to pretend forever. “Yeah, you’re my girlfriend.”

 

“Yay! Come on Yerimie, let’s go!” She begins dragging the blonde away and all Yeri can still hear is Joohyun dying laughing. Yeri doesn’t even have time to tell Sooyoung they don’t have the same classes. The girl just follows her around almost everywhere. She holds her books for her. She kisses her cheek goodbye when she drops her off to class and even returns to pick her up. Sooyoung is being so incredibly sweet that Yeri has no idea what to do. Even now as they’re having lunch together. She is being offered half of her fried chicken.

 

“Here, let me feed you, baby!” Sooyoung smiles and offers her a bite. Yeri is honestly freaking out by this whole thing. She could have never imagined Sooyoung being nice and not this sort of nice. They’re not even really in a relationship. Yeri really hopes this is some temporary thing.

 

“Um, Sooyoung?”

 

“Yes, baby?”

 

“Nothing, thanks for the chicken.”

 

The dark-haired girl beams. She is so happy that Yeri is happy. She just hopes she’s a good girlfriend, for some reason she can’t remember much about their relationship.

 

“Yeri, am I a good girlfriend?”

 

That’s when Yeri almost chokes over the food she’s chewing on. She really has no answer for Sooyoung know. How would she possibly know the answer to such a question? Sooyoung notices the silence and she frowns in disappointment.

 

“Am I not a good girlfriend to you?”

 

“Well…” Yeri is hesitant to answer. Since she’s not her girlfriend and only has bad experiences to share with her. They’re not friends and are supposed to be sworn enemies. She is currently seeing a side to the dark-haired girl she had no idea existed, but does that really take away from every single thing that has happened over the years? Before she can try to answer her the taller girl is taking a hold of her hand.

 

“I’m going to be the best girlfriend ever.”

 

“Oh, Sooyoung, that’s really not necessary.”

 

“I will show you that I’m a good girlfriend and you’ll be so happy with me, Yerimie. This I promise.”

 

Again, the blonde doesn’t know what to say or think. She hopes somehow Sooyoung wakes up from whatever alternative reality she’s in. What does end up happening is Sooyoung turns into the sweetest, most caring girlfriend ever. She insists on dates that she plans - which turn out to be fun, such as the time they go to the arcade and spend hours playing games, and eating pizza. They go to the movies and she gives her jacket to her the second she sees Yeri is cold. Sooyoung even walks her home after these dates and for a little moment Yeri finds herself imagining if this could be real one day? Sooyoung is going to have to come back to normal at some point, right? Then how come it feels nice and how come holding hands with her feels nice too? Tonight, they are actually on a double date with Joohyun and Seulgi. They went to dinner and now they’re all just hanging out along the Han River.

 

The blonde uses the time to talk to Joohyun alone. Seulgi and Sooyoung went to go purchase ice cream for everyone. She is just so confused about many things. In reality, Sooyoung isn’t her girlfriend and she is still positive that she will return to normal at some point. That doesn’t mean these few days haven’t been really nice, but she is not sure how she feels now.

 

“Unnie, what am I going to do? She really thinks we’re some great couple, but we’re not. We’re so far from being an actual couple.”

 

The older girl hugs her then. She could see the changes over the last few days. Yeri went from being shocked, to going along with this, and to at least softening her original feelings towards the dark-haired girl.

 

“She’s been really good for you these few days, huh?”

 

“She’s so different now and I know a lot of that is because she doesn’t remember that we’re not a couple. It’s just…” Yeri stops. “When she holds my hand it doesn’t feel as wrong as I thought it would be.”

 

Joohyun thinks she has been right along, that the two of them really do like each other. It’s all that has ever made sense. Maybe it’s just taking this entire ordeal to make Yeri realize it.

 

“Hey, would it be so wrong to give it a chance? She’ll probably remember at some point, but that doesn’t mean it has to change. You two can talk this out and maybe go on a real date. One that means something to you both?”

 

Yeri hears what Joohyun is saying. She just isn’t so sure. What if Sooyoung comes to her senses and none of this matters, and they just go back to being enemies? Meanwhile, as Seulgi and Sooyoung are ordering the ice cream. Seulgi can’t help but notice how Sooyoung lights up while talking about Yeri.

 

“She’s amazing, Seulgi-unnie. She’s fun, and pretty, and I really like her a lot.”

 

“I know you do, Soo,” Seulgi nods. She’s always had her suspicions that the younger girl likes Yeri in a romantic way. She just hopes that once Sooyoung remembers fully that they’re not a couple. The two of them can figure out where it is they go from there.

 

“You know though, I can’t really remember how we started dating, and when I ask she just changes the subject.”

 

Seulgi tries not to cough or make any sort of exaggerated sound. She feels bad that Sooyoung is living in a lie of sorts, but she also can’t just tell her that she is living this lie. For one, it’s not her place to say, and they’re all also worried about how her reaction will be. She might react badly to know that for these few days she has been living in a lie and that Yeri isn’t her girlfriend. They return with the ice cream and the taller girl sits with Yeri on their own. Joohyun and Seulgi decide to go for a walk, or really to give them some space.

 

“Do you like strawberry, I wasn’t sure?”

 

“I like strawberry, thank you.”

 

Sooyoung gives her a small smile. She has been wondering for the past few days if there’s anything wrong. She takes a hold of one of her hands. Yeri doesn’t flinch away. She meant it when she said it doesn’t feel weird to hold her hand.

 

“Yeri, are you okay?”

 

“What?”

 

“It’s just, I’m worried about you. You seem off these few days and every time I ask you about us. You seem hesitant to talk about it, or us. I just don’t understand why.”

 

Yeri turns then to give a warm smile. She feels terrible about lying to her, but sees no other option.

 

“It’s still new, our relationship, so if I’m a little hesitant that’s why.”

 

“Oh,” the taller girl nods. She doesn’t sound convinced though. The rest of the night gets quieter and even when they split up to go their separate ways, Sooyoung doesn’t meet her eyes. She just says she will see her in school.

 

“Are you okay?” The blonde wonders. She sensed something off with Sooyoung practically the entire time.

 

“I’m fine, see you at school,” she assures and kisses her cheek. Yeri just watches as she heads to her car. She doesn’t know what to do now. When she gets to school the following day she doesn’t see Sooyoung, and worst of all neither Joohyun or Seulgi have either. It’s worrying, especially when she can’t find her anywhere. She’s not at any of her classes, library, or even outside where they meet for lunch sometimes. Yeri is unsure what to do. She’s grown used to seeing her on a more frequent basis.

 

She texts Joohyun to let her know if Sooyoung is in touch with her at all. Joohyun assures her that she and Seulgi both are looking out for her, and they will let her know if they hear from her. Yeri sighs and sinks down against the nearby tree. She would have never imagined the day where she would be worried about Park Sooyoung. Yet, here she is concerned about who was once her enemy.

 

“Sooyoung I hope you’re okay, wherever you are.”

 

The entire day passes and she sees no sign on the dark-haired girl. She goes home to her place and that’s when she spots the familiar car. Sooyoung is waiting just outside. There is a distant look on her face and Yeri finds herself dreading what’s about to happen. She sends a quick text to Joohyun to let her know she’s found Sooyoung, or rather the dark-haired girl has found her.

 

She takes a deep breath and starts walking to where she’s leaned up against the car door. What is she supposed to say? What can she even do at this point? Before the blonde can even talk it’s the taller girl who speaks first.

 

“Would you mind going for a drive with me?”

 

That wasn’t what she expected. She nods that she will ride with her. At first it doesn’t seem like they’re going anywhere in particular. Until soon Yeri notices they’re back to the Han River again. Sooyoung gets out first and then asks Yeri to join her. They stand in silence for a little while.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me we’re not a couple?” The taller girl finally asks. That’s why she was acting off. She’s finally remembered the truth that they’re not together.

 

“I’m sorry, Sooyoung. I didn’t know what to do, you really thought we were a couple, and the unnies and I didn’t want to somehow hurt you.”

 

The dark-haired girl doesn’t get it. Why would Yeri keep up with the lie. It’s true she was hurt when she realized that it hadn’t been true and something her mind made her believe. She would have probably been hurt if Yeri just told her the truth earlier. Those few days were so good for her, but now they were only lies, or rather Yeri possibly feeling sorry for her.

 

“You should have told me. These days were lies.”

 

“I’m really sorry, Sooyoung. These days weren’t lies though, not entirely.”

 

After she says that it makes the taller girl look at her with confusion. She doesn’t understand fully what the blonde means. It’s true that those few days they were both nice to each other and acting like a couple. There were moments that did feel real, or at least for Sooyoung they felt real.

 

“How can that be? You were just trying to make sure I didn’t hurt myself or freak out if I heard the truth, right?”

 

Yeri thinks back to what Joohyun has been saying to her. Why can’t they give this a try? She saw a totally different side to Park Sooyoung that wasn’t terrible. She also had a glimpse into what it could possibly be like to be her girlfriend for real and it wasn’t as awful as she thought. In fact, it wasn’t awful at all, and then Yeri remembers something else. She reaches for her hand and squeezes. The action surprises the dark-haired girl.

 

“What’s this for?”


 

“It wasn’t awful to hold your hand. I always thought I would hate being anywhere near you, but when we held hands. It didn’t feel wrong, do you understand?”

 

Sooyoung looks down at their shared hands and she does understand what Yeri is saying. It never felt wrong not once to hold Yeri’s hand. That was why she kept reaching out to take her hand, and feel it against her own.

 

“I understand, but what does this even mean now? We’re not together, but I can’t just say we should go back to being enemies.”

 

“Maybe we were never enemies,” Yeri tells her. “It’s not like you and I were actively trying to cause harm to each other for real. It was like a game that got out of control, but I don’t hate you Sooyoung and this time I spent with you I found myself enjoying.”

 

The taller girl can’t deny that she didn’t have a good time too. She had an amazing few days thinking she was Yeri’s girlfriend. In truth she has always liked the blonde from years ago and had hopes one day Yeri would like her back. It doesn’t sound like she likes her completely, but it does sound like she’s not against them getting to know one another.

 

“Are you saying you wouldn’t mind spending time to get to know me?”

 

“I’m saying it hasn’t been anything like what I expected and you also weren’t what I expected you to be. I think we should give this a try and it’s not that we have to rush. We can just go on a date first, and…”

 

Yeri gets cut off because Sooyoung is lifting her up off the ground in a huge hug. It startles the blonde as she wasn’t expecting it. She’s honestly expecting Sooyoung to smack her or pull her hair still.

 

“Ah, hey put me down!”

 

“No, you’re giving me a chance and that’s all I care about. I’ve really liked you forever practically.”

 

“Wow, I can’t believe the unnies were right,” the blonde thinks to herself, and then tells the taller girl to put her down. She is going to look forward and give this a chance. Who knows maybe she and Sooyoung will fall totally in love with each other, anything is possible at this point.

 

“Can you drive me home now? It’s cold and I don’t have a better jacket.”

 

“Oh, wait, hang on,” the dark-haired girl hurries to take off her own leather jacket and places it around Yeri’s shoulders. The blonde thanks her and then they walk back to the car. She reaches for her hand again.

 

“It’s true, it doesn’t feel awful to hold her hand,” Yeri thinks to herself, and when she feels Sooyoung squeeze her hand back. She knows that this is the right thing to do, and maybe being Park Sooyoung’s girlfriend will not be the worst decision she could make, but perhaps one of the best decisions.

 

A/N: And this oneshot is complete, and I left it where they’re not together yet but it’s highly possible after that date they will, since in truth they spent those few days in a lie of sorts but feelings did come out of it. I hope you guys enjoyed this.