"The Scarf"

Warmth Can Be Found Anywhere
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A woman with long hair bounces into line at the bus stop. A man quietly tiptoes over to get in line behind her. The man with curly brown hair makes no attempt to interact with her, his arm protectively wrapped around his waist to keep his coat secure. His other arm reaching to keep his face mask and cap in place. The man hunches into his body like a frightened animal.

     The woman brightly smiles at her surroundings as she waits for the bus. Her eyes travel behind her as she notices the man hunched over.

     “Excuse me sir,” she pokes his fortress of a padded coat, “are you alright?”

     He mumbles something but it’s too quiet for the woman to hear.

     “I couldn’t hear you sir,” she smiles at him in hopes of encouraging him to explain if he is hurt.

     “I’m alright,” the words from his mouth come out softly, but it is smooth. The woman smiles as if she remembered a pleasant feeling like she was home in a warm blanket. But she wasn’t, she was outside talking with a man who seems reluctant to speak with her.

     “Are you sure you’re alright?” The woman peers into the shadow covering the man’s face that was created by his baseball cap.

     The man nods, seemingly avoiding the contact that he doesn’t want to experience with this woman.

     “You know sir,” the woman continues despite the soft whine coming from the man, “it’s quite chilly this time of year. You should really be bundled up more.”

     The man makes a noise as if expressing his agreement, it was like a grunt but more of a groan.

     The woman with teeth shining from clearly more brushing than anyone had ever needed to do in their life giggles, “you don’t have a scarf sir.”

     The woman reaches into her bag, it’s a bag with a long strap letting it fall at her waist that is toned with two colors burgundy and charcoal. With the charcoal color being at the top of her bag and burgundy being at the bottom. She peers to find something in the bag, as she pulls out a current knitting project that she is working on.

     She doesn’t speak to the man for a few moments which makes him curious. Her back is turned toward him but he notices her neck is crouched into her chest as she is notably working on something as her arms move quickly.

     The man figures it is a good opportunity to relax and not worry about if people are looking at him. There aren’t many people around him as his eyes scout the area to check. He hums to himself a song that perks the woman’s ears.

     “Is that Sung Si-Kyung’s Two People?”

     The man flinches, “ah yes.”

     “I like that song,” the woman is still turned away from him as she works quietly on the knitting project, “do you like that song?”

     The man rocks back and forth on his heels, “I do like that song. The singer is my favorite ballad singer.”

     The woman doesn’t respond back which brings the man back to his humming as he looks off into the distance.

     The woman squeals, “it’s done.” The man stif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter