A Present

Magic Shop

Darkness is all he could identify at first. He tried to open his eyes but they felt extremely heavy like tons of lead had been placed on them.  He tried to bring his arms up to rub on them but to his dismay he found he can’t move them. He tried again and a scorching pain around his wrist shot up through his arms. He could feel his eyes watering at the pain. There was a rough rope bound around his little wrists at his back, movements made the tight knot dig deeper into his soft baby skin tinting them red. They were itchy and rough and the pain finally brought Jungkook out of his daze. Now that he thinks about it his legs also feel numb. Surely and unfortunately they are also tied down by the same rope. He struggled a bit to wiggle in a better position but it was futile. He was lying in a fetal position with his knees curled in and was trapped in a confined area. Jungkook could feel his throat clogging up in fear as the tears that had accumulated on the corner of his doe eyes finally rolled down. There was dry cloth stuffed in his mouth which made his throat more itchy and dry. He cried out in fear but the pitiful sounds and cries were reduced to muffled whimpers.

You’re a big boy Jungkook and big boys don’t cry.

He remembers his father’s saying.

But he is too terrified. He can’t move at all and he doesn’t know where he is. He can’t help crying. He’s only 6 years old.

He regrets leaving Hyunwoo’s hand to chase after the dog that had stolen his figurine which he accidentally dropped in front of the departmental store as they were waiting for his car to come and pick them up. He should have listened to his body guard when he said that they are bad people out there who are trying to get him away from his father, from his home. But he didn’t listen to it and it makes him cry even harder. Big fat tears roll down his pudgy pink cheeks. Jungkook promises himself that he will be a good boy from now one. Just this time….just this once let him be saved…he really wants to see his wet nurse Mrs. Jung now.

He remembers chasing after the dog cornering it at the alley and then he wakes up here all tied up and disoriented.

The constant hum that was there stopped he realized. There was sound of turning off the car engine. Suddenly there were peeks and bits of broken light entering the space in a dotted line.

It was a zipper. The light was coming through the spaces of the zipper. Jungkook was in a bag… a big one like a duffel bag the one that his dad’s secretaries carry when they go off on an oversea trip. There was a jerk as the bag was moved. He let out a pained muffled groan at it. The rough cloth on the inside of the bag grazed his wet cheeks and it irritated his soft skin.

Jungkook maybe a six year old but he got straight ‘A’s for his tests in school, so he was not an idiot. He pretended to be asleep though his little heart was thundering under his ribcage edging to give out. He tried his best to stay as still as possible. Another jerk and the light seeping in through the cracks of the zipper grew brighter.

Maybe he is in the back of car...what is it called...The place where things are kept...tan…Trunk.

He could hear voices outside as he tried to control his sniffling and whimpering but to no avail…instead it grew louder until his little body was wrecking in sorrow breaking out in little sobs.

Suddenly there was a sound outside. Jungkook stilled as he stared with large doe eyes as the zipper of the bag was pulled down and the rusty rays of the setting sun seeped into the darkness of the bag. There was a face peeping in.

A boy few years older than him was peering into through the opening as he curiously examined Jungkook.

Hands larger than his tugged out the gag from his mouth but before he could utter a single sound the hand clamped over his swollen dark pink lips abused by the rough cloth.

“Ssshhhh… don’t make sound…I am going to take you out from here.” His free hand was on his own lips signaling him not to talk.

Jungkook like a good boy remained quiet.

Something about this Hyung was comfortable. (Jungkook has already labeled this boy as his Hyung in his mind) He had tan skin and deep brown hair that looked auburn in the last rays of the sun but what made Jungkook believe the boy was those pretty and kind eyes as he looked at the boy he found inside the bag with concern.

Jungkook promptly heaved out of the bag with as much caution as possible. The older boy was frail looking but was surprisingly strong. He smelled of sunshine and grass as Jungkook nuzzled his nose in the crook of his neck muffling his whimpers in his slightly dirty shirt.

He was glad to be out of the bag into the fresh air. The car was parked at a dusty road besides a dilapidated building. The road was not paved by asphalt but was instead deserted yellow and dusty with potholes. On the other side of it was a high brick wall with leafy outgrowths all over it.

 

Taehyung carefully cradled the little boy in his arms, one hand under his knees and one hand pressing his head to his chest. As soundlessly as possible he made a fast run towards the wall.  He was unable to unbind him due to shortage of time so he knows the little one was uncomfortable but they have no time. He could hear the voices coming out of the building.

He sprinted towards the other side of the road. The boy in his arms was slowing him down a bit but Taehyung was not the one to give up. Halfway across the road there was a loud noise followed by shouts.

They have been seen.

Taehyung increased his pace as fast as possible but he was a child and his short legs were no comparison to the long ones of an adult.

The dog hole at the brick wall was his target. It is the way he sneaked out of the campus of his farmhouse. He managed to kneel down and push the child in his arms to the other side. It was a small hole and is barely able to fit a child of average built. He knows they’ll be safer once they are inside the boundary wall.

He was going to slip inside…he could see Jungkook struggling and wriggling his little legs sticking out. A last push and the child would be inside and safe but unfortunately he can hear them closing in.

CRASH….

Taehyung saw it in slow motion. The green glass bottle was flying towards them. His body moved in auto pilot and he felt himself shielding the boy and the next moment there was a sharp pain on his left shoulder as the glass bottle broke in splinters with a harsh sound.

Taehyung had no time to think about the pain. With one last push he successfully was able to cross the little boy over to the other side as he made his way inside ignoring the crushing sound of glass splinters under his knee and the pain that followed.

Suddenly there was a hand grabbing at his shirt collar through the dog hole. He saw the boy in front of him shriek and scream as he felt himself on the verge of getting tugged out of his safe zone.

 Then the hand was gone.

He turned around to see the little boy biting the perpetrator’s hand with his sharp bunny teeth. There was a series of groans and curse words outside followed by shuffling of feet as soon as the boy let go.

“Thanks” Taehyung flashed his boxy smile at the boy.

The little boy shyly smiled.

He looks like a bunny. Taehyung mused, a rather cute and small one.

First things first, he carefully untied the boy. He always carries a penknife with him (it was his brother’s gift to him on his 10th birthday. It was red and pretty and Taehyung uses it in fruits etc when he wants to play mock surgeon because the plastic play medical kit is so old fashioned. ) and hence it was easily done.

“I am Taehyung by the way…you are?”

“Jungkook…” the boy replied shyly.

“Jungkook…” Taehyung tasted the name on his tongue. He saw the teary boy perk up as if listening to him speaking his name. If he had bunny ears they would be standing straight in rapt attention.

Taehyung snorted at the thought chuckling. He tugged at the ropes of his legs. The knot has been tied too tightly.

“Jungkook can I call you Kookie?”

He saw the boy nodding his head eagerly.

He cut the ropes with his pen knife.

The rough ropes had pitted a deep pink impression over his soft skin and the look of it made something akin to anger settle deep in Taehyung’s stomach.

He picked the boy up from the dirty ground. Jungkook encircled his arms around his neck burying his face at the crook of his right shoulder, his little legs encircling his waist like a koala. Taehyung flinched in pain on his left shoulder being grabbed but carried on anyway.

“Kookie we have to leave here…what if they climb up the wall or find a bigger hole in the wall?”

 Jungkook nodded his head in understanding a little fearful of the aspect that they might come back. He burrowed deeper into the elder’s embrace.

Taehyung noticed the movement. He knows the boy is scared so is he. He is just a child he knows he is nothing in front of the adults. But for the trembling boy in his arms he will be a bit braver. He tried to stop his already shaking legs from trembling.

“It’s okay Kookie, Hyung will protect you.” He tugged the younger closer to him.

Half limping half carrying Taehyung managed to drag them to the big oak tree.  The large tree stood in the middle of the woods in all its ancient glory. There was a burrow in between its strong old roots. Taehyung was dead tired but he somehow managed to pull them inside the burrow. It was his secret hiding place. Taking in their condition they won’t make it to the house he knows that much.

He had run out of the farm house in early noon after lunch to play so by now Wonshik must have already started looking around for him. The residents of the farm house know by now that this oak tree is Taehyung’s favorite hiding place so he can bet they’ll come here to look for him.

He was feeling a little dizzy now so he clutched Jungkook closer to himself cuddling him as the younger happily complied.

How much time has passed they don’t know when again hurried footsteps could be heard. Jungkook was scared but somehow felt protected around the elder so instead of crying he willed his tears not to fall as he moved impossibly closer to Taehyung.

Taehyung could feel his heartbeat thundering at his throat but the rumble of Wonshik’s voice calling out for him eased him up….

Taehyung’s search party found them in record time.

“Young master Taehyung!!!”

Taehyung finally sighed in relief as he flashed his boxy smile to the younger.

“Kookie!!! We are saved!!!”

 

 

Jungkook doesn’t remember how he made to the house. He was clutching onto Taehyung like his life depended on it. The man named Wonshik was Taehyung’s butler since when he was very young.  While they were in the living room sofa sitting together sipping warm milk and honey, the said man kept looking at them disapprovingly. Jungkook doesn’t like that man at all. He hasn’t let go of Taehyung yet, clutching at his sleeve leaning on his side as he used his other hand to hold the small cup of milk.

They recounted what happened. He remembers how the old frail looking Mrs. Choi the housekeeper fainted on listening to how Taehyung saved him, was fanned back to health only to faint again now with Wonshik when Jungkook told them about his identity.

Jeon Jungkook aged 6 was indeed the heir of the country’s largest and most famous chain of jewelers/ accessory shops ‘Aurelia: the golden one” and one of top 8 largest enterprises of the country with a turnover of 12 billion dollars.

Kim Taehyung was surprised but happiness was prominent in his features.

“Then you are like me.” He grinned happily.

Jungkook didn’t understand what he meant by ‘like me’ but he smiled his bunny smile back. Whatever it is being same as Taehyung can’t be bad anyway.

Without wasting time the Jeon household was called up. They picked up immediately. They were pleasantly surprised to hear it was a call from the distinguished Kim family farmhouse. There had been a thorough police search going on for the missing heir. Hearing he had been rescued the household breathed a sigh of relief.

“We’ll be there within half a hour.”

Wonshik breathed out a sigh as he ended the call. He went back to the living room to find the younger fast asleep on Taehyung. The older one patted his fluffy hair carefully as he held him closer.

Wonshik was going to say something but was shushed up by Taehyung, afraid to disturb the sleeping child.

 

True to their words, the people from the Jeon household were fast to arrive. The body guard Hyunwoo was standing just outside in front of the shiny black Lamborghini. Taekwoon the caretaker of the child apologized to them profusely before going inside trying to gather the sleeping child in his arms. Jungkook was still clutching onto Taehyung’s sleeve in his sleep when he was pulled out of his embrace and he whined and groaned in annoyance threatening to cry.

Taekwoon being surprised would be an understatement as Jungkook was an extremely introvert and shy child who avoided strangers like plague. Only the ones close to him were able to witness his true whiny bratty 6 year old self. So the fact that he got really attached to Taehyung to the point of crying while leaving him in such a short point of time it was truly astounding for him.

The freshly awakened Jungkook was trying to slip out of the adult’s hands as he made grabby hands towards the boy on the couch. But unfortunately they had to return and he had to be separated.

Outside the house at the main gate Taehyung held out his hands as he clasped the other’s little hands in his.

“It’s okay Kookie…. We’ll see each other soon.”

“Are…hic…y-o-u…hic…you sure?”

He gave his infamous boxy smile. Jungkook should have been relieved but he was not. He had this nagging feeling he would not be meeting him soon not at least in the next 5 years. He knows he is going to disappear the moment he crosses the threshold of this house.

Taekwoon carries him away. They settle in the car and he pulls his window down to say goodbye.

The car starts moving down the gravel path and Jungkook know something is going to happen. He pokes his head out through the window towards the mansion like farmhouse only to see the boy standing on the porch fall down. The jacket is taken off to get a perfect view of the blood soaked left shoulder.

“TAEHYUNG!!!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jungkook gets up in the middle of the night sweating and crying, tears rolling down his cheeks.

There is a strong arm that wraps itself around his waist. He lets it drag him to lie down again, his head resting against an out-stretched arm.

“Did you have a nightmare, Jungkook?”

His voice is heavy with sleep but the worry seeps through melting Jungkook’s heart.

He traces his hand through his sharp jaw thumb rubbing against the sleeping male’s cheek. His eyes were hazy with sleep but were looking at him with buckets full of adoration and care. Jungkook loves those hazelnut eyes with specks of glittering what seems like gold in sunlight but turns silver in the moonlight. Those plush lips stretch out in a lazy smile as he pulls the male closer and tucks his head under his chin as he wraps his arms around him after adjusting the duvet.

“It was a good dream.”

“What did you dream about?”

Jungkook can feel the vibration of his voice by the chin placed upon his head.

“Darkness. I dreamt of darkness and sunset.”

The male pulls back from his embrace to look at Jungkook.

Sleepy eyes fully open on the remark.

“That doesn’t seem like a good one.”

Jungkook stares at the ceiling of the room. There is a galaxy drawn on the ceiling with twinkling glow-in-the dark stars. There are starry tress along the walls of the room with fluttering glowing butterflies and specks of fireflies.

They drew it themselves when they moved in together. Jungkook was afraid of dark because of the bag incident.

“Sometimes the most beautiful things can be seen only in darkness.” He had said.

Jungkook on the end result can’t help but agree with him. He fell in love with stars and constellations while they were star-gazing fell in love with fireflies when they went to the countryside for vacation.

He is not afraid anymore. Things he loves can only be seen in darkness. Most of them he fell in love with how he holds his hand tightly never letting go when they stand together in the darkness.

He exchanged his greatest fear with love. That is why he is his magic shop.

Jungkook nuzzled back into the embrace.

“No it was a good dream.” He said confidently. He traced the white cracking scar on the male’s shoulder that was visible because of the slipping away of the oversized pajama shirt. “Yes it was a good one.” He confirmed again.

Taehyung just laughed.

“I dreamt of it often too, you know.”

“You did?”

Taehyung just hummed. He dreamt of a boy with big teary doe eyes staring up at him from the bag which he ped. He had ink black hair and wore a fluffy baby blue sweater as he gripped his shirt like it’s his lifeline.

“You were like a present to me…in a bag and all that.”

Jungkook just hit him lightly at the joke.

Taehyung kissed him in reply.

Perfect. Jungkook thinks. A pair of sliver bands on their finger glistens under the faint glow-in-the-dark light as Jungkook pulls the chuckling elder impossibly closer to him.

The rest is history and a story for a later time.