Comic-Con?!

The Sulay Awakens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There are unicorns everywhere, fairies, flowers and even rainbows on top of every cloud. Yixing looks around, confused and dumbfounded, what the hell is going on? She decides to wander a bit to try and figure out first, where she is, second, why is she there and third, how did she get there and how can she get out.

She finds a yellow brick road and starts singing the Wizard of Oz’s famous song but stops by spotting another girl in front of her. Yixing tilts her head and walks towards her, maybe she can help her! However, right when she’s about to tap the lady’s shoulder, a loud ringing noise interrupts her.

The whole magical world disappears as she opens her eyes and suddenly everything makes sense, it was just a stupid dream. Yixing looks for her phone, finds it on top of her Wizard of Oz book –makes a mental note not to read it before sleeping- and turns the alarm off.  When she does, there’s something on her wrist that has her blinking multiple times.

Never mind, nothing makes sense.

Why’s there a tattoo on her wrist?

Why’s there a Star Wars tattoo on her wrist?

Her eyes are fixed on the lightsaber for a long couple of minutes “What…” Her voice is husky out of grogginess, the pads of her fingers caress the mark “Whaaaat” And then it flickers.

Yixing almost loses her when the lightsaber starts twinkling slightly, she gets out of bed at the speed of light and runs downstairs, tripping over her own feet as she bursts into the kitchen to meet her roommate “Baekhyun!”

“, I could’ve dropped my cup!” The boy exclaims, leaving the mug with his hot chocolate on the counter when he sees Yixing running towards him.

“Baekhyun, this is a very, very serious question,” She says, her hands squeezing his shoulders with the firmest expression she could muster.

Her best friend also goes into serious mode and nods “Sure, what is it?”

“Byun Baekhyun…” Yixing’s face gets closer to his, carefully examining his eyes, looking for any sign of deception “Do you like ?”

Baekhyun takes a couple of seconds to take a deep breath and remind himself that Yixing is the sweetest, most wonderful person on Earth and that he’ll definitely go to hell if he hurts her.

“Yixing…”

“Yes?”

“I have a boyfriend”

“So?”

“Having a boyfriend means I’m dating a boy”

“Baek, I need you to be more specific here”

He lets out a heavy sigh and looks up at Yixing before cupping her cheeks “Boys don’t have what you have down there, Yixing, boys have and I’m gay so I don’t like , I love . Well, one , my boyfriend’s, because damn boy but wait, hold on” He shakes his head from side to side, utterly confused “Why are you asking me that all of a sudden?” He gasps “ARE YOU DOUBTING MY GAYNESS?!”

Yixing blinks “What?”

“Zhang Yixing, I swear I’ve followed the before chicks philosophy for a long time and I still do”

“I… I know, I wasn’t doubting your gayness, I kind of can’t? Ever since that night you brought Chanyeol home… It ”

“Hahaaa, sorry about that” Baekhyun then seems to remember why the whole conversation started in the first place “Then why did you ask?”

“Oh… because I had to make sure I wasn’t dreaming”

“Why?”

“I have a tattoo on my wrist”

Give them a couple of seconds…

One,

Two,

Thre—

“YOU’VE GOT A WHAT ON YOUR WHERE?!”

“A TATTOO ON MY WRIST!” Yixing pulls her sleeve to show him “LOOK! IT’S EVEN FLICKERING!”

“OH MY GOD” Baekhyun grabs his friend’s arm to look at it closely but then furrows his eyebrows “Is that… A ?” He can’t help the snort that leaves his lips “Your soulmate pffff, your soulmate’s obsessed with s?!” Yixing’s sure his thunderous laughter will wake everyone up but that’s not the reason why she slaps his arm.

“It’s a lightsaber” Yixing deadpans.

Baekhyun’s still laughing his off but he tries to reply either way “T-That’s a , Yixing”

“, that’s a damn lightsaber, my soulmate’s obsessed with Star Wars!”

“Or s” Baekhyun insists but Yixing’s pout stops him from saying anything else “Okay, okay, sorry, a lightsaber” He stands straight and picks his forgotten hot chocolate.

“Thank you” Yixing sighs and stares at the blinkering mark.

 “Well, at least it’s not a , that would’ve for you” He takes a sip and hums at the sweetness “You know what wouldn’t have ?”

“What?”

“If it were a ” Baekhyun smirks and, careful not to drop anything, runs away before Yixing could kick him or pull his ear.

She sighs and makes breakfast instead, her usual and favourite combo of chocolate cereal with milk. Yixing decides to eat from Baekhyun’s just for the sake of pissing him off at least a bit. He messed with her soulmate, she can mess with his precious food. Bowl in hand, spoon inside, she makes her way to the living room and sits next to Baekhyun who’s zapping, trying to find something interesting to watch.

As she eats, she starts thinking about the meaning of her tattoo. Not everyone’s lucky enough to get one, to have a soulmate, so there are no words to describe how immensely happy and relieved she feels at the moment. There is someone out there destined to be the one, someone who’ll love her unconditionally, forever, no matter what, and that makes her heart feel save thanks to the wave of relief crashing her fears.

But there’s a problem, how will she find her soulmate? It’s not like she can post a picture of her tattoo and ask “hey, who’s obsessed with Star Wars?” Because thousands, no scratch that, millions are. A heavy sigh escapes her lips and she bitterly takes a spoonful of cereal.

“So, what’s the plan?” Baekhyun speaks while still changing the channels.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re not going to sit around and do nothing, are you?”

With the spoon still in , she whines “Duuh, but… Ugh, I’m thinking, okay?”

He finally stops messing with the remote control, an episode of Friends saving them from any possible boredom “You don’t know what to do, do you?”

“Stop teasing meee” Yixing whines and curls next to him, rubbing her forehead on his shoulder “Help me instead, you ” Baekhyun chuckles and finally pities his friend so he takes his phone out, unlocks it and dials the number he knows by heart “What are you doing?”

“I don’t know how to help you and what do I always do when I don’t know what to do?”

“Call Chanyeol?”

“Call Chanyeol” He affirms and when the other answers, he greets him with a “Yeol, guess what?” He taps the megaphone icon so that his phone is in speaker mode.

“What is it, babe?”

“Yixing has a soulmate”

“SHE DOES?!”

“I DO!”

“Oh, hey, Yixing!” Chanyeol laughs and the girl can picture his face perfectly, his twitching eye and charming smile “Tell me all about her! Or him? Oh my God, is it a boy?!”

“We don’t know,” Baekhyun says and Yixing suddenly feels a bit sick; what if her soulmate is a boy? She rather not think about it and concentrate on one problem at a time “She needs help finding her soulmate and you know a little bit of everything so”

“What’s your tattoo, Xing?”

“A ” He gets hit again by his friend.

“Don’t listen to your douche of a boyfriend, it’s a lightsaber” Yixing speaks over Chanyeol’s loud laughter.

Once he stops he simply says “Oh, then easy-peasy”

“Really? Where do I have to go?”

Baekhyun can totally see the smirk forming on his boyfriend’s face as he answers “Comic-Con”

 ~*~

“Ladies, gentlemen and Jongin, we are hereby reunited to fight a war you never thought you’d be fighting”

“I hate you so mu—”

“Shut up, he’s talking”

“Let him have his moment, Jongin, God”

Chanyeol clears his throat and continues “As I was saying, we’re here because our beloved Yixing needs our help to fulfil what’s probably the biggest achievement in her whole life” He starts walking from one side to another, like a general talking to his soldiers “Time will be more precious than Baekhyun and that’s saying A LOT coming from me, so don’t you dare waste it and refresh as much as you can” He stops on his tracks and looks at each of them “Never.stop.refreshing” Yixing tries his best not to cackle “Got it?”

“Yeeees” They all say, sounding rather bored.

She chuckles by noticing Chanyeol’s pouting face and hugs him once he’s sitting next to her “Thank you, Yeol, that was great”

Kyungsoo takes over Chanyeol’s failed attempt at giving a motivational speak “Seriously though, getting tickets for Comic Con is no joke and it’s Yixing’s biggest chance to find her one and only so we can’t it up” He looks at Chanyeol and Baekhyun “Can you imagine a life without each other? No, of course you can’t because I can’t imagine a life without Jongin either and us being together wouldn’t have been possible if it weren’t for Yixing’s constant help and support” Jongin sends him a flying kiss, Baekhyun grimaces “And Sehun, you owe her this much after all the bubble teas she’s bought you” Sehun raises her cup as if making a toast “So refresh the ing page as if your life depends on it”

“Yes, sir!”

“Now get ready, we’re already wasting time with this whole motivational speech nonsense” Kyungsoo takes his seat next to Jongin in the other couch and places his laptop on his lap.

Sehun rests her head on Yixing’s shoulder while looking at the screen “All I have to do is press F5, right?”

Yixing nods her head “Yup, but be careful not to refresh it if the main page pops up”

“Got it”

“It all comes down to this,” Baekhyun says, rubbing his hands out of nervousness.

“Uuuh, I’ve got butterflies” Chanyeol adds while adjusting his glasses.

Kyungsoo keeps his eyes on the screen, fingers ready to snap once the countdown is over “Don’t get soft on me, Park, I’ll slap those glasses right off your face” Jongin laughs, Chanyeol sends him his usual “stop picking on me” look.

If anyone were to get in the house at that moment, they would find four guys and two girls all looking at their laptops with determination. Their desire to get those tickets is so palpable you could even see fire surrounding their bodies. All because Yixing’s soulmate turned out to be a huge nerd.

“T-minus 45 seconds!” Yixing lets them now, she has no idea what that means but she guesses it’s time to panic.

“Why do Comic-Con tickets have to be sold out so incredibly fast?!” Baekhyun groans, the anxious atmosphere finally hitting him.

“Because it’s the largest convention of its kind in the entire world but as long as one of us gets---”

“God damn it, there’s no time to flirt, keep it in your pants” Kyungsoo snaps at Chanyeol who simply whispers an “I’ll explain later” to Baekhyun before shutting his mouth.

“T-minus 30 seconds!”

Jongin rubs his legs together, his eyebrows furrowed as he complains “Ooh I have to go to the bathroom so bad”

“Should’ve worn a diaper” Sehun teases with a smug smirk on her face.

“Ew, what if I get diaper rash?” Jongin makes a disgusted face and unconsciously scratches his on the couch.

“That’s what worries you?” The youngest keeps mocking him but Kyungsoo glares at her from across the room. First and last warning, Sehun chuckles.

“Fifteen seconds!” Yixing grows more and more nervous by each passing second.

Chanyeol gets his inhaler and shakes it while speaking “Oh this is it” He takes a deep breath, tilts his head back just a bit, exhales and then breathes in again as he presses down on the canister “Thisisit” He repeats while holding his breath.

His boyfriend just stares at him with an expression that screams “what the actual , are you serious?”

“Five, four” Everyone gets ready, their fingers above the F5 key “Three, two, one, it’s live!”

“Go, go, go, go, GO!” Kyungsoo shouts, the sound of people clicking and tapping being the only thing that could be heard in the room.

When Baekhyun feels his fingers start to ache, he whines “Anyone in?”

“ it’s only been like two minutes” Kyungsoo replies without taking his eyes off his laptop “Do not stop refreshing your screen”

“Refresh, refresh, refresh,” Everyone says in unison, the concentration that of a senior solving the last math exam they need to graduate.

Moments later, Sehun says “I’m in”

Chanyeol’s head snaps to his right, eyes wide as two plates as he stares at her “WHAT?!”

Her mastered poker face mixed with her typical resting face plus a bored expression is what meets everyone’s eyes “I’m in the queue”

“That’s good, right?!” Yixing asks, looking at everyone for some sort of confirmation.

“That’s more than good, that’s perfect!” Kyungsoo raises from his seat and goes to stand behind Sehun “Holy and you’re number 94 in line” Chanyeol’s eyes are impossibly wider.

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?!”

“I’m confused, someone explain” Sehun demands, Yixing agrees, she wants, no, needs to understand what’s happening.

“Sehun, imagine trying to buy tickets for EXO and actually getting them” Kyungsoo explains, everyone gasps.

“Is that what she just did?!” Jongin’s voice comes as a screech.

“Is that what I just did?” Sehun’s face is now proud and priggish “Damn, I’m good”

Kyungsoo and Jongin keep talking to Sehun while Chanyeol immediately takes the laptop “We’re number 88 now, this is amazing” He’s careful not to ruin anything as he looks at the numbers decrease “Do you want to go alone, Xing?”

“God, no, I’ve never gone to one” Yixing looks up at Chanyeol “Besides I don’t think I’d be able to handle it all by myself… Come with me?”

“Baek---”

“I’m in” He replies within a second “I’m not missing such a special moment and if I don’t go you’ll probably spend all of your money on… stuff, so I’m going”

Now that the stress is out, the friends calmly wait for their turn, Chanyeol takes care of everything when the options are abled and sighs in relief when everything turns out fine “Three tickets for Wednesday are ours!”

“Thanks to Oh Sehun” The youngest reminds them all.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Yixing jumps in her seat and hugs her friend, squeezing her body tightly. If it were anyone else, Sehun would’ve definitely shoved them away, but she can’t deny how soft her heart is for the other girl “You’re the best! The absolute best!”

“I know”

“Wait, how do you know her soulmate’s going to be there on Wednesday?” Kyungsoo asks, afraid Chanyeol ed up somehow.

The tallest of them turns to look at him “She’s most passionate about Star Wars… Trust me, she’ll be there on Wednesday” His tone is that of a “duuh, that’s obvious” and it kind of pisses Kyungsoo off but he lets it slip in favour of hugging Jongin back.

Baekhyun cuddles next to Chanyeol “All done then, let’s watch a movie”

“Let’s watch Star Wars!” Yixing suggests. Sehun doesn’t really care, she’s busy on her phone, Kyungsoo tries to keep his composure, Jongin has no idea of how many movies there are so he’s clueless about how long it’ll take, Baekhyun feels a bit apprehensive and Chanyeol’s dreadful expression only confirms it.

“Yixing, babe… You do know there are uh…” Chanyeol starts counting with his fingers “Nine movies, that’s about…Eighteen hours”

The girl sulks when she notices everyone’s unwilling faces “Well, then… At least three of them? Please?”

No one can say no to Yixing’s puppy eyes, no one with a heart at least, so everyone in the room agrees. Kyungsoo smiles at her warmly and says “Sure, I’ll go get popcorn and pop”

“Soda!” Baekhyun corrects.

Kyungsoo doesn’t even bother to turn around to retort with an “I'll call it whatever I want, Byun”

The friends laugh at their exchange and start to get ready for the marathon. Sehun uses Yixing’s thighs as her pillow and curls until she’s comfortable, Baekhyun uses Chanyeol’s shoulder as his, Jongin goes to the bathroom. They all sigh and enjoy the silence as Chanyeol looks for the movie online.

Until Kyungsoo screams “IS THAT A ING PLUG IN THE DISHWASHER?!”

“Oops” Baekhyun chuckles, his boyfriend tries hard not to blush.

Yixing can only shake her head “Remind me again why’s that there?”

“Hygiene is very, very important, Yixing” Baekhyun replies, the girl scoffs and Chanyeol can’t help but chuckle.

A couple of seconds pass by and then Sehun asks “What’s a -plug?”

“Nothing your aual needs to worry about, darling” 

Once everyone settles down and the movie starts, yellow letters running up the screen with an awesome background music, Yixing takes her time to let it sink into her mind. She’s going to meet her soulmate… There are many questions running through her head, what if it’s a boy? What if it’s a straight girl? She knows soulmates are supposed to be your other half so destiny is supposed to deliver you someone who’s… perfect for you. Then again, who’s perfect for Yixing? Her ideal type? What does that even mean? Yixing’s only had two girlfriends before and the only thing they had in common is that they were both described as “sweet and kind”. So Yixing’s type would be someone with a golden heart? She sighs and chews on her lower lip.

“Don’t worry too much about it” Chanyeol suddenly whispers and it makes her flinch “We’ve all been through the what-ifs but trust me… The moment you meet them, everything will make sense and all your doubts, the disbelief and whatever you’re skeptical about will disappear in a blink of an eye”

She nods, takes a deep breath and decides to focus on the movie instead. Chanyeol’s right, what has to happen will happen, all she can do is look forward to it.

~*~

The three friends decide to take a cab to go to Comic-Con, it’s easier that way and they don’t have to worry about the parking lot. Yixing can’t stay still, her excitement being too much to control and keep inside so she moves her legs up and down and plays with her fingers. Baekhyun can’t help but see how they tangle and untangle over and over and over again “Yixing, you have to calm down”

“I’m trying, I really am but my heart won’t stop beating fast, what if we’re not compatible, what if they don’t like me? What if they run away because I’m not what they were expecting? What if-”

“What if you’re compatible, what if they like you, what if they run towards you because you’re exactly what they were expecting and more?” Baekhyun interrupts her rambling before the never-ending cycle of negative what-ifs begins. Yixing’s still unsure, he can tell by the way she bites her inner cheek.

“Your soulmate’s probably thinking the same, Yixing” Chanyeol adds, trying his best to help one of his closest friends.

“That’s ridiculous, why would they think that?” Yixing replies, Chanyeol hides his victory smile “Oh…” She realises what she’s just said and falls right into his plan “Not fair” Yixing says while chuckling.

“We’re here!” Baekhyun lets them know when he sees the unbelievably large crowd outside “I’m having war flashbacks” He gulps by remembering that one time he decided to go with Chanyeol to his very first Comic-Con. It isn’t a very pleasant memory, he couldn’t fully enjoy their date with all the girls following them around because they reminded them of some anime couple.

“Everyone’s cosplaying!” Yixing comments, getting out of the cab after Baekhyun pays “Aaw, I should’ve dressed up as something”

“Well you can always buy something inside” Chanyeol takes Baekhyun’s hand to keep him close, the last thing he wants is to lose him in the wave of people. The smaller guy hugs Yixing by the arm so the three of them stick together “Oh my God, buy a Jedi robe!”

“And ruin her perfectly styled hair and cover her makeup after all my hard work?! Hell no” His boyfriend scolds and shakes his head no fervently “Don’t even think about it”

Yixing suddenly feels self-conscious, did she pick the right clothes? Or is it too much? She doesn’t feel as confident about her outfit anymore, a maroon button skirt with black thigh highs and a matching long-sleeved black shirt that shows her shoulders? What was she even thinking? And the choker probably makes her look ridiculous. She stops in her tracks at those thoughts and looks down, her hair would’ve covered her face if it weren’t for Baekhyun’s half-crown braid.

“Xing, what’s wrong?” Chanyeol asks, Baekhyun sighs.

“Hey” He cups her face with both of his hands “Stop” His eyes are locked on hers, making it impossible for her to look away “You look amazing, it’s not too much, you didn’t overdress, you think I’d let you? Knowing how much you struggle with fashion?” Baekhyun teases her and he gives her a bright smile when Yixing finally snickers “If everyone’s staring at you it’s because they’ve never seen such a fiiiine girl” She scoffs and pushes him away, whispering a “yeah right”. Baekhyun pokes her side “Or maybe they’re looking at us because Chanyeol’s a giant”

“Your giant though” Chanyeol pecks his head and ignores the funny looks or squealing girls “Now let’s go! You’ve got a soulmate to find”

Yixing inhales deeply and looks at her wrist, her tattoo is blinking faster than before “You were right, they’re here” She can hear her own heartbeat, it thumps in her ears, and it matches the flickering of her tattoo.

“Then, let’s find her!” Baekhyun grabs their hands and pulls them towards the line so they can scan their ticket and get inside.

When they finally enter the convention building, Yixing’s jaw drops. The place is not only huge but it’s also very spacious and even if there are people everywhere it isn’t overwhelming and it doesn’t feel like it’s jammed up. She gets excited whenever she recognises a character or a costume and feels like a teenager again, the good old times when she spent her nights saving Hyrule or wandering around the different maps of World of Warcraft. Chanyeol’s got that quirky smile and those shiny eyes that secretly make Baekhyun melt.

“Alright you nerds, move” Baekhyun pushes both of them so they walk further inside. Chanyeol guides the way and shows them everything he knows, what he wants, some crazy stories from when he was a teenager, until they finally get to the main convention floor. The more she sees, the more mesmerised Yixing feels; this is what her soulmate’s most passionate about. She’s somehow learning about that one person that will rock her world and it’s both exciting and nerve-wracking.

As they keep walking, Yixing goes into her private world and starts daydreaming. She doesn’t know half

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter