One

Untitled
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There are many obstacles a man must overcome to achieve what he has set out his heart for. And at times he receives things unexpected though not unwanted,as he comes closer to his goal. For Sehun he has never had a dream. All he does is work as hard as he can so that he can feed himself. If one must ask what his goal was it was to simply never be hungry again or beg for scraps of food. Because he knew how it felt when one had grovel at the ground for food, for what kept him alive and gave him strength.

When the days of war came he signed up all too quickly to be a part of the emperor’s army. He was but a boy of 16 but that didn't matter. The army promised food. It promised to fill his stomach with warm food everyday and that was enough.

The war lasted for 4 years and Sehun was 20 by then. He looked like a man and no longer the young boy with limbs too long for his skinny frame. The sun had darkened his skin even if it was still hopelessly pale to most since dark skin seemed to be in vogue at present. His shoulders were broad now and muscles that formed only from constant physical exercise and battle seemed to be prominent in every part of his body.

When the war ended he was one of the few that the common people considered a hero, courtesy of  Sehun’s fellow soldiers who had written letters to their mothers and sisters while at war and the news had apparently spread of the brave soldier who preferred to stay at the battle lines because he knew the others had family and lovers to get back to while he had no one to even remember his name if he were to pass away. But his bravery and concern for others wasn't the only thing that gained him popular favour. His swordsmanship was excellent. The way he yielded a sword, the soldiers would say was like no other. Because when he did it was with purpose. There were only ever two reasons he picked a sword, to kill or to get better at slaying his foe.

Though when he returned he wasn't made a general of an army like he should have been for his role in all the years of war. Instead he was made to guard the Prince. The only legitimate child of the King and without a doubt the heir to the throne.

When people heard the news it was like an insult and it was. To be made a boy’s guard whether a prince or not was disrespectful for a person of his caliber. But he couldn't refuse nor could he voice out complaints. For all the high stations were always meant for the ones of rightful birth. The nobles. They had the armour, a good name backing up years of education in all forms of art. How could a mere orphan like Sehun compete against that?

And so he remembers his place and most of all he remembers his birth right. He had no place in these places where the rich and noble resided and he should consider being able to live in the palace or even catching a glimpse of how it looks inside as an honour.

The first time he meets the Prince, Sehun is less than impressed. But all the more he tries to stop himself from smiling because this boy even though he had to chase him through the stables where the horses were kept and pull him out of a giant stack of hay he still had the cheekiness to laugh.

“You can run. I'll give you that.” The Prince says as tries to get rid of the hay still stuck on his long hair. The way this boy states, as if he could actually run faster than Sehun - Sehun who ran the dirty streets of a no name corner of their Kingdom for scraps of food for as long as he can remember.

“I thank the Prince for the compliment.” Sehun says with a bow.

“You're welcome…” the Prince trails off and Sehun takes that as his cue to introduce himself. The Prince had run away as soon as he saw Sehun without any idea of Sehun even was.

“My prince, I am Sehun your new guard. I swear to protect you with my life. My sword and anything I have to offer is at your disposal.”

The Prince signs and lets out a sound akin to a laugh and throws his small body in the stacks of hay that were placed just behind him.

The Prince seems to shout something but Sehun can't really make out his muffled words and he's much more interested in finding the Prince.

Seeing a flash of blue silk Sehun grabs it and yanks the prince's lithe frame towards him catching him against his broad chest.

“Hey!”

Sehun puts him down gently and requests as politely as he can “Please refrain from running to the stables.”

“And what do you suppose I do? Sit around all day long studying?” the Prince snaps at him.

“You just wanted to play.” Sehun states simply and he notices as red dusts the Prince’s pale cheeks.

“Oh for the gods don't go around making it sound so childish. I simply wanted some air.” the royal says as he huffs and crosses his arms.

Sehun thinks he speaks not of his age.

“As his guard I promise my prince that he shall be safe if he ever goes outside to play or whatever reason it may be.”

“Are you allowing me to play outside?” the Prince asks dubious.

“If that is what the Prince wishes.”

“What did you say your name was?”

“Sehun.” the guard answers.

“Well Sehun, I'm Lu Han the Crown prince of Elixir. It's a pleasure to meet someone who has enough confidence to be able take me outside.” the Prince says with a grin stretching across his pale face that still had hay stuck on it.

“The pleasure and honour is all mine.” Sehun says with a bow.


 

As the days pass, Sehun teaches the boy many things and takes him to many places. The Prince seemed to take great joy running around the gardens barefoot, discarding his royal foot wear that were as beautiful as they were utterly useless outside.

And Sehun was always there.

When the red roses of the garden pricked the Prince’s soft skin he was there to the blood and take the thorn out in case it was there.

When the Prince climbed up trees too tall for his height and age to climb Sehun was there to catch him lest he fell or assist him to get down in case he was stuck.

When his teacher came to educate him on matters of the state he would have to fulfill as an Emperor, Sehun was there to silently support him.

When he went to the royal tailor to have new robes tailored, Sehun was there and he watched in wonder as he saw the way the Prince had grown in height and beauty.

When the Prince talked about exploring the world beyond the palace walls and even the walls of their own Kingdom, Sehun was there to listen and support him.

When the Prince drew pictures that he hid away because that art was considered solely for Omegas, Sehun was there to appreciate them but always unable to tell him that they were almost as beautiful as him.

When the Prince cried about his insecurities and how he thought he wasn't good enough, Sehun was there to assure him that he was perfect and that he didn't have to worry about anything.

When the Prince presented as an Omega just after his 14th birthday, Sehun wasn't there to tell him that everything will be alright.

When the emperor expressed his disappointment and anger towards the Prince, Sehun wasn't there to tell him he was proud of all that he had achieved.

When the emperor stripped him of the title of Crown prince, Sehum wasn't there to tell him that no one would be as good as he would be for the role.

When the emperor announced that the Prince would be married to a noble and that noble would be the emperor, Sehun wasn't there to assure him that his husband would be good to him or just listen to his pleas about how unfair everything suddenly was.

When the Prince went through all the shame and humiliation and hatred and anger, Sehun wasn't there to hear him out.

When the Prince cried his eyes out every night,  Sehun wasn't there to kiss them away.

For the guard had gone to war.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter