final

Monologue

 

Yeonwoo has spent ten minutes walking aimlessly before she settles down on a bench at the corner of a park.

The weather is great so she decides to do some sketching. It helps her calm her mind, and the sight of blooming cherry trees is already a huge mood booster.

She takes out her sketch book and pencil and begins to draw everything that catches her eyes. Falling cherry blossoms petals, a dog she finds really cute, an elderly couple, and a girl.

A really beautiful girl, if Yeonwoo may add.

It takes her too long too realise that she has been staring at the girl without blinking. She blinks when her eyes start to hurt and the next second she is already sketching the girl.

The girl is in short, angelic. Dark wavy locks, pink lips, and peaceful gaze. With blooming cherry trees as the background and her sitting by herself while reading a book, it is like the whole universe is telling Yeonwoo to draw her.

Her sketchbook pages are now filled with the girl. She glances at the girl, a side profile potrait sounds good, she thinks.

But instead she sees the girl, looking up from the book she read, and picks a flower petal from her head. She smiles brightly as she holds the petal and Yeonwoo suddenly forget humans have the ability to breath.

Yeonwoo is lovestruck.

 

-

 

Tomorrow comes. Yeonwoo wakes up smiling like a fool. And as foolish as she looks, she hopes to see the girl again.

She waits at the exact same spot as yesterday. Sketching every now and then to warm up and to calm her raging heartbeat.

Yeonwoo feels like a middle schooler in love and it is so not her. But they say love can change a person and it looks like love has changed Yeonwoo into pathetic middle schooler going through puberty.

It feels like forever (one minute feels like one hour for Yeonwoo. Yes, it is cheesy, she knows.) but there is no sign of the girl. Yeonwoo decides maybe the girl will never come. She packs her things, but then she spots the girl, walking towards her spot like yesterday, reading book peacefully like yesterday.

So Yeonwoo starts to sketch again.

 

-

 

For the past five days (Yeonwoo starts to feel she is doing something illegal, she hopes she is not), the girl still sits at the same spot. Sometimes reading book, sometimes eating ice cream, and the other time just playing and cuddling with dogs that pass by her (their owner seems quite thrilled when the girl pets their dog).

But today, after Yeonwoo starts sketching for around fifteen minutes, the girl is gone.

“Hi, your drawing is so good.”

Yeonwoo jolts at the voice behind her. When she turns to look, it is the girl.

The girl Yeonwoo sketches just said that her drawing is good. Yeonwoo feels like flying right now.

“Oh, that was rude of me,” the girl laughs. Yeonwoo melts at once. “my name is Nancy”

Yeonwoo clears and keeps a straight face, creating cool vibes around her (first impression is important, she notes). “Yeonwoo,” she smiles at Nancy.

Nancy moves to sit beside Yeonwoo, too close for Yeonwoo to maintain her calm act. She scoots closer to peek on Yeonwoo’s sketch book and Yeonwoo’s soul has officially leave her body.

She smells nice, Yeonwoo thinks, before mentally slaps herself

“You must love drawing, right?” Nancy asks, she is already flipping through Yeonwoo’s sketch book.

Yeonwoo nods, “well, my major is art”

Nancy looks at her with her gleaming eyes. Her lips agape and she breathes a “Cool” like she means it with her whole heart.

She doesn’t know why but Yeonwoo feels at ease when Nancy talks. Like they already know each other for a long time. Her cute voice is a plus point, and her giggle is a melody to her ears.

“Say,” Nancy asks, a little bit hesitating. “Why do I feel like this girl looks like me?”

“It’s you,” Yeonwoo calmly says (she is not sure where she gains the confidence to do so). And when Nancy stares at her without saying anything, Yeonwoo thinks she might have got a wrong idea.

“I- I mean, I just saw you alone and I think you looked beautiful. Well, you are not. I mean, yes. You are stunning, gorgeous, even. You know what I mean. So basically, I started drawing you because you just happen to catch my eyes, I’m not someone suspicious. I swear.” She starts babbling

Nancy just silently watch Yeonwoo with amused face. She only catches some parts, like how Yeonwoo thinks she is pretty, how she sounds so desperate, and how her expression is the cutest Nancy has ever seen.

She giggles, resulting Yeonwoo to slightly twitches, “it’s okay, I feel honored.”

If Nancy likes how Yeonwoo’s panic antic looks so cute, then maybe Yeonwoo’s warm smile is Nancy’s favorite.

 

-

 

After several rounds of small conversations, both Yeonwoo and Nancy seems to have relaxed a lot (especially Yeonwoo. Nancy has always been calm around the other girl).

“Ah.” Nancy spots a little kid toddling with his mother right beside him, preventing him to fall. “That kid over there is so cute.”

Yeonwoo glances at the kid then turn her gaze to Nancy, replying with her most serious tone, “you are much cuter, though.”

Smile creeps up on Nancy’s face, her face heats up at incredible speed. She hits Yeonwoo’s arm playfully, “you smooth talker.”

Yeonwoo laughs at the attack. “I’m serious” she grins.

Nancy pouts at her (and once again, Yeonwoo almost squeals to death), “it doesn’t look like you do”

“Then what should I do to prove it to you?”

Nancy pretends to think (she loves how Yeonwoo’s eyes are focused on her), then she nonchalantly settles, “a coffee date would be great”

Yeonwoo doesn’t have the reason to refuse.

 

-

 

They have been hanging out for time to time. For most of the time, to be precise. Yeonwoo has learned a lot of things about Nancy. Like how she is four years younger than her (Nancy has started calling her ‘unnie’ and Yeonwoo likes the way it rings). She studies at the same university as Yeonwoo. Her dad is American and her parents works there, leaving her alone here with fairly high monthly allowance. She lives alone in an apartment just a few blocks from campus, and she prefers eating outside or buy some takeouts rather than cooking for herself.

Nancy also knows more things about Yeonwoo. Like how the girl is oblivious about her popularity at campus (Nancy is pondering whether she should be happy about it or not, but she can’t deny that she is jealous whenever some strangers approach her Yeonwoo. Nancy has been claiming Yeonwoo hers for as long as she can remember). She loves dog, and she has a dog back at her parents’ house. Her handwriting is messy despite her wonderful drawing. And she spends her time (without Nancy) in her apartment watching anime.

It is funny for them to get to know each other when it feels like they have been close for years.

 

-

 

Spring passes by and summer comes. It is also the beginning of raining season. And poor Yeonwoo seems to forget her umbrella when suddenly there is a downpour right after she steps out of campus building.

Nancy opens the door of her apartment and sees Yeonwoo smiles innocently while being completely drenched. She shivers from the cold but manages to make it subtle (how, only she knows). Nancy notices and she rushes inside to grab a towel.

“What exactly happened?” she asks, her face full of concern as she hands Yeonwoo a towel.

“Well,” Yeonwoo chuckles, “who would have thought that it will rain when the sky was so clear this morning.”

Nancy mouthes a silly at her.

“And your apartment is close so maybe it is better for me to pay you a visit.” Yeonwoo adds.

Nancy frowns, “what if you get sick?” she tugs Yeonwoo’s wet hair behind her ears.

“It is okay.” Yeonwoo’s voice calm. “I miss you.”

It is like everything fall in place. Nothing but faint noise of rain and their breathe can be heard at the moment. Nancy’s hand still on Yeonwoo’s cheek. Nancy’s gaze shifts from Yeonwoo’s eyes to her wet hair, to her nose, back to her eyes, and ends at her lips. Nancy can only think of one thing.

Yeonwoo loves the feeling of Nancy’s warm hand on her cheek. She stares at Nancy’s dark orbs then closes her eyes, kissing Nancy’s hand softly.

All Yeonwoo wants to do is to kiss Nancy.

So she does. She leans in slowly until she can feel Nancy’s warm breath on her lips. She brushes their lips but Nancy can’t wait no more. She leans in until there is no gap between them.

Yeonwoo feels dizzy as she moves her lips to deepen the kiss. She bites Nancy’s lips, which makes Nancy moans. She then snakes her hand towards Yeonwoo’s neck, clinging to her like her life depends on it.

Both out of breath but neither wants to break the kiss. Once they do, Yeonwoo immediately locks their lips again. Not that Nancy is complaining.

After six kisses, maybe more (they both have lost count. They don’t really care), they pull out. Flushed faces and out of breath. But smile so wide they start to think they are crazy.

Suddenly, Yeonwoo doesn’t feel so cold anymore.