CHAPTER 1

Love & Idol

*10 years ago*

 

Ji-Eun’s mother died giving birth to her. Her dad solely raised her by himself. But even so, he raised Ji-Eun well. She grew up to be a hard working daughter.

Right after school, she hurries back home to help her dad run their small food stand beside their house since her father does not have the strength he had before when she was still a little girl. It may be small, but customers flock to them. They flock to their food stand to listen to Ji-Eun sing to them as an added bonus for buying food from them and ever since, Ji-Eun dreamt of being a singer. She would go to every audition that opens and she would try her luck. All the while going to school and helping her dad with their food stall. She would always be positive on anything. Never giving up, she would always just look forward to the next audition she’ll take part in.

After auditioning for numerous agencies and getting rejected for numerous times, Ji-Eun finally got lucky and was accepted to an entertainment agency. Her dreams of becoming a singer finally came true. After working so hard, this company gave her a chance. Shortly after, she finally debuted at the young age of fifteen..

 

*After her debut performance on a music show*

 

“Congratulations on your debut Ji-Eun!” Her fellow trainees said.

“Thank you, thank you.” She answered back, smiling and bowing at them.

“You’re very talented.” The CEO of the company said to her. “I truly believe that you’ll have a bright future in this industry.”

Ji-Eun can’t help but smile from what she heard. That comment confirmed that she really belongs in the entertainment world. She was born for this.

For Ji-Eun, this was the best feeling she ever had. She is finally a singer.

She could not wait to tell her dad about the good news. She hurries home like she would always do back then wanting to tell her dad in person about this very special milestone in her life. But when she got home, she saw a terrible sight. Her dad was lying flat on the floor unconscious. She immediately called for an ambulance but by the time it got there, it was too late.

This incident became the cause of Ji-Eun’s rise to stardom. With that, she just focused on herself and her career with nothing to worry about. But as the days and months go by, living alone and sometimes visited by only her manager on some days, her heart slowly turned cold. She started to close her heart, getting no friends and only just her fame to accompany her. By that time, all Ji-Eun knows how to do was to make money and be on the top.

 

Ever since he was a kid, Soo-Hyun had the biggest crush on Tiffany. He wondered how a beautiful girl such as her could exist in a small insignificant town and to add to that, Tiffany was his classmate in school. He thought that the odds of her becoming his was greater and he was not wrong. After a few months of courting, Tiffany finally said yes to his proposal of becoming his girlfriend. Soo-Hyun and Tiffany dated for almost a year. But during those months, Tiffany kept a secret. Tiffany dreams of becoming a kpop idol. Just like Ji-Eun who at the time, was quickly gaining popularity among people her age for debuting very early and for someone with such unbelievable vocal talent. During those months of being together with Soo-Hyun, Tiffany had been selected to be a trainee for an up and coming girl group. This, she has kept a secret from Soo-Hyun as she believed that he might prevent her from reaching her dreams.

 

On one quiet night, A van stops by the front of Tiffany’s house. It turns out that it was a van sent by the agency of the girl group she was selected in to pick her up and bring her to the city. But right across the street, Soo-Hyun was planning to surprise Tiffany with a bouquet of flowers as it was their anniversary on that very day. He was right there when the van pulled over in front of Tiffany’s house. Soo-Hyun approached the van but when he heard the door of the van slam shut, he quickly hurries over to check who it may be. He got near the van and right then he saw through the window who was inside the van. It was Tiffany. Along with two huge suitcases and her personal belongings.

 

Knocking hard on the window, Soo-Hyun tried to get her to look at him. Holding up the bouquet to show her what he brought her.

“Tiffany! Tiffany! Look! I got you flowers!” He yelled. “Tiffany, it’s our anniversary! Where are you going? Why are you in that van?” He continued.

Tiffany tried her best to not look at the window and signaled the driver of the van for them to leave.

“Tiffany!” Soo-Hyun yelled again as he tried to match the pace of the van as it slowly started moving. “Tiffany! What are you doing?”

The van now was picking up speed.

“Tiffany, please! Please stop the van. Let’s talk about this. What did I do? If I did something wrong, I’m sorry! Just please don’t go!” Soo-Hyun shouted while knocking on the window trying to keep his pace with the van.

But now the van had truly gotten faster. Soo-Hyun could not keep up any longer. He tried to catch up for as long as he could, shouting Tiffany’s name hoping she would look behind as the van started to look smaller the further it was from him. Tears were now starting to form in his eyes as he slowly realizes what Tiffany had done. But Soo-Hyun kept running after the van. He did not want to give up on their relationship so easily. He kept on running after the van until his foot hit a rock causing him to stumble and fall to the ground also throwing off the flowers he got for his girlfriend. Inside the van, Tiffany was only looking in-front of her. She refuses to look behind and only focused on the road ahead. She did not want to feel sorry for Soo-Hyun and thought that for her dreams to come true, she must let go of ties that she has in that small town.

Soo-Hyun was exhausted from running. Crying as he knelt on that dirt road where he fell, trying to save what little happiness he has left. But slowly, that too fades away as the van where Tiffany is gets farther and farther away from him. Turning into just two speck of lights coming from the tail of the van, to being completely gone.

Soo-Hyun was slow to get up. Exhausted, heart-broken. He picked up some of the roses that were still fine and fixed them into a small bouquet and made his way up a small hill.

“Mom, she’s gone..”

“I wasted these flowers on the wrong girl.. I should have given them to you instead.” Soo-Hyun said, while placing the flowers on top of his mother’s tombstone.