Intro

Suddenly My Light Is You

High School was simple, an extremely under appreciated simple that everyone takes for granted.
Grunting Youngjae rolled around his bed not ready to face the light of the day and wanting to retreat back into the comfort of his warm blankets as the sun continued to send beams down to attack him.
College is an attack of subgenders, mates, exams, career options and trying to find money to pay for it all.

 

“You better get up before you’re late for the first Omega class.” Youngjae’s new big lipped and tan skinned roommate chirped too happily for this early in the morning. He missed Jongup, their old room together, he missed the Beta dorm and most of all he missed the afternoon classes.
“Big surprise eh? We all thought you were gonna be a Beta, I mean I guess you do ‘ave that babe face and all.”  Daehyun now took to pulling the blankets off the lump in the bed not feeling any pity for the other man.
“Well you don’t look anything much like an Omega yourself.” The sentence was delivered with a small growl as Youngjae finally sat up, giving up soon as he lost his soft shield. Daehyun simply shrugged off the comment knowing full well his looks didn’t exactly fit the generic Omgea description but his personality always fit it was never a surprise.
“Come on ya big baby, we are learning about not letting our subgender stereotypes define what we want to do, I think you need it.”  

 

Being an Omega wasn’t a bad thing, he didn’t think lowly of them, doesn’t find omegas a “lower” subgender or see them as weak, that’s not why he’s upset, It just wasn’t supposed to be.
He was a beta had been groomed as a beta all his life, his 21st birthday was meant to be a huge celebration for his first night of turning. Everyone should have marveled at his large copper furred wolf with strong legs and thick chest standing proud and puffed out enjoying the attention, instead everyone stood silent as soon as his scent released, he began to panic as he shifted pain filled cries escaped his body as it  thrashed to the ground, the sound pulled his mother out of her still trance, quickly she ran to his side pushing away his father who still stood like a cold statue watching his now Omega son.
Rejecting your subjender is the worst thing you can do, that’s why we try to guess where we fit before we turn, it’s normally easy to guess where you fit from childhood. Personality traits are strong, physical indications are just as easy to make a guess from as soon as we reach late teens. Not often do you get surprised as you change.

Youngjae rejected it, the fire the inside of his body caused wails imitating that of a banshee and his mother moved quick trying to calm the small raging wolf trying to tear through the human barrier. After emptying out the contents of his stomach and slowly losing energy  eventually the overwhelming pain caused him to black out, his limp body remained unchanged still in human form.

 

“That’s him there, the one who rejected his wolf,” “It’s that omega, why is he surprised looks like one to me,” “I would have called it, look at that face.” “My father was at his ceremony said he didn’t even shift into his wolf.”

The whispers and murmurs in the hallways never bothered him until he became the subject they always talk about.
“Don’t let ‘em get to you, everyone just ain’t got nothing better to do but to talk about the new Omega, we a bunch o round ‘ere” Daehyun grinned through his thick accent that always seemed to change in intensity depending on how hard he focuses to hide it.

Classes have become awkward as soon as he walks in, loud full of life rooms kill their atmosphere the moment Youngjae steps in from behind the door, moods drop and no one says anything even teachers shuffle uncomfortable not knowing how to deal with the situation.
Lonely was never an adjective Youngjae used for himself even when he was alone he had never felt lonely before, knowing his wolf half was residing inside him always gave him that warmth of just having something with him, ever since that night though he’s been nothing but empty and cold.

 

“Honey please wake up, Youngjae baby you have to wake up now it’s not time to be sleeping.”
His mother’s voice pulled him out of the darkness, on instinct he began to shiver. Cold, coldness is foreign to him, it shouldn’t be cold and he shouldn’t be feeling like someone stuffed cotton in his ears to dull his hearing.
Sobbing as her son finally woke up Mrs Yoo thanked anyone who was listening happy her son was still alive.

 

“Who will want to mate with him, he can’t even accept his subgender?” “How will he find an alpha like that?” “Maybe a beta will take pity on him since he would be friends with them.”
“Who will want someone broken like me.”


 

“Hey do you want to go get something to eat after class?” A comforting voice rang out louder than the one inside Youngjae’s head pulling him back from the pit he was jumping into. Jongup was the only one who knew him before who still treated him the same. Sharp face, brown fluffy hair, nose mole and angelic smiles described him perfectly also a body perfect enough to envy but Jongup has always been such a comfort someone who will ignore the obvious for you even if it makes him look like an idiot.
“I’ve already eaten sorry Jongup maybe next time?” A small gurgle denied him the pride but Jongup took it anyway smiling just as realistically as the smile Youngjae sent him and nodded in reply. “Maybe next time.”
As the two parted Daehyun snorted loudly making himself be noticed again, “Already eat’n my arse, why you lie to ‘em like that seems like he’s nice and easy on the eyes bet there is gold unda that hoody he got on.”  Rolling his eyes in response to things Daehyun say has already become a common occurrence it just comes automatically as soon as a sound leaves the others thick lips.
“I don’t want Jongup to get dragged down by me, I also don’t want to affect him getting a mate, who would want to go out with the guy who is friends with the rejected omega.”
Stopping at the door the louder man of the two Omegas glared daggers at Youngjae.
“Didn’t stop you from befriending me.” This time a rare small almost genuine smile met the lips of the one being glared at as a small spark of playfulness ignited inside of him.
“I didn’t have much of a choice did I? You just declared it as soon as I entered our room.”
A larger and brighter smile met the smaller one in response happy to have gotten such a reaction, “That’s right no choice for you, as soon as you entered that door you didn’t ‘ave a choice, but now let’s get this over with eh? Power to Omegas!” Pumping his fist in the air Daehyun opened the door and slipped inside. Taking the moment to brace himself Youngjae stood at the door a little longer, swallowing a big breath he moved to go in before a tap on his shoulder took him off guard. Standing there was an Alpha with wavy black hair and eyes that felt like they had the ability to see right through him.
“You dropped this.” His voice was as intimidating as his looks, so deep and powerful Youngjae couldn’t even say whatever the dropped item was couldn’t be his, so he took it anyway and didn’t stop the alpha as he walked away. Snapping out of his trance he noticed the paper in his hand curiously he opened it to find a what seemed to be a very messy scribble drawing of a wolf trapped inside a cage over it a line of words cause his hairs to stand on the back of his neck not knowing how to take it. .
“My heart hurts when I see you.”