Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High (UE)

Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High

180529

"Baekhyun? It's Chanyeol...."


180610

"Baekhyun? Chanyeol again.....just checking in to see if you're fine....."


180721
"Baekhyun, call me, please....I'm worried about you."


180814

"Baekhyun. I know you get these messages on your voicemail. Do you listen to your voicemail? I know you can see my missed calls. Please, goddamnit, just answer."


181019

"Baekhyun. I know we ended it, but we agreed to still be friends. Friends worry about each other. Friends are concerned. In fact, I'm not the only one. Jongdae, Sehun, Minseok.....we're all worried. You haven't made contact with any of us for months. If you're hearing this, please answer. A simple "I'm fine". Anything. Anytime.

"Are you okay, Baek?"


181117

"Baekhyun?"

"Chanyeol."

"..."

"Chanyeol?"

"You're not Baekhyun."

"You're right. It's Kyungsoo."

"Soo? What the are you doing with Baek's phone? Where's Baek? Why hasn't he called me back in months..."

"Chanyeol, I have something to tell you. You might want to sit down....."


171117

"Baekhyun?"

"Hey, Yeol."

"I'm picking you up at five today. Is that alright?"

"Yes. It's fine. Of course. You have something big planned, no?"

"Well, obviously. Six months, or have you forgotten?"

"Actually, I did. Six months makes the brain forgetful."

"You're an old man, Byun Baekhyun. You're joking, right?"

"Of course I am, giant. Six months. Who would forget?"

"I hate you."

"No you don't, you love me."

"You're right."

"See you at five...."

"See you. I love you."

"Love you too, giant."


171202

"Baekhyun."

"Hey, Yeol."

"Baek, I left you a million calls."

"Did you? I'm sorry...I was busy studying for midfinals."

"I- oh, okay. Good luck. I just wanted to know if you were doing fine..."

"I'm fine, Chanyeol. Don't I text you that everyday when you ask?"

"It's different from calling you and hearing you say it...."

"Ok. Alright. I'm sorry. It's just....I'm busy and getting really tired these days. I think I need rest."

"You do. Don't stress out okay? I love you."

"Love you too. See you."

"Bye."

"Wait....don't say bye."

"What?"

"Don't say bye. I know it's sort of ridiculous....but don't say bye. Say...something else."

"Something else."

"Hardy har har. , I love you."

"I won't disturb you any longer. Love you too, something else."

"Something else."


180216

"Baekhyun?"

"Hey, Yeol."

"Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year, Yeol. How are you doing?"

"Fine, it's great being around my family again. Miss you though."

"That's nice....I miss you too."

"Still bummed we couldn't see each other before Christmas.....call me when your schedule clears up!!"

"I will. Listen, I really got to go. I'm sorry."

"Oh, alright. Stay safe. Love you. Something else."

"Something else."


180302

"Chanyeol."

"Hey, Baek. Why are you calling?"

"I think....I need to tell you something. You have any free time today?"

"Yes, sure. After lunch. Does three sound good?"

"Okay. See you at three. You know the cafe near the park where we first met?"

"Yes......you sound nervous. You're making me nervous. Is everything all right, Baek? You know I love you?"

"I'm....fine. See you later."

"Something else."

"Something else."


181117

"Chanyeol, I have something to tell you. You might want to sit down....."

"Kyungsoo. You sound nervous. You're making me nervous. Is everything all right? Is Baek all right?"

"Chanyeol....."

"He.....tell me he's fine, Soo. Tell me he's fine."

"Chanyeol......Baekhyun died two hours ago."

"...."

"Chanyeol?"


190205

"Happy New Year, Baek.

"Yes, alright, I'm high. I know I'm calling a disconnected number....but , I can't help myself....

"I want to be mad at you. You didn't tell me? I would've stuck beside you, you know that. I love you....

"I love you, Byun Baekhyun, so much I worried about you everyday. Maybe that's why you didn't tell me... but can you blame me?

"Wherever you are, I know it's a better place. I with words, I know. But this is the last message I'll ever send to you. See you....

"Something else."


181117

"Chanyeol......Baekhyun died two hours ago."

"...."

"Chanyeol?"

"...."

"Chanyeol, he left you a message though. He recorded it last week. I'll send it to you...."

"....'

"Take some time, bud. I know how much you loved him."


181109

"Yeol?

"If you're hearing this, I guess this means I'm dead. Died. Whatever.

"You deserve more information, I know. Or truth. Whatever you want to call it.

"God, I keep saying whatever....

"I've been diagnosed with brain cancer since I was 15. I know, that was way before we met. I've been dealing for a long time, taking meds and treatments. It was around the time I met you my condition was getting worse. I didn't want to be in a relationship with you because I knew I would just end up hurting you or me sometime down the road. It's unfair, I know, but I really didn't know what to do but I just knew I loved you so much and I really appreciated you caring for me.

"I called it off when I found out I had less than a year to live.

"Nothing worked. So I decided to spare you the hurt of still being with me when I passed, but you just kept chasing me, no? Alwasy so stubborn...

"Yeol, I want to say I'm sorry. We didn't get enough time together and I was just being an shortening our time even more...

"I don't think there's anything more that I can say. But I'll see you agian someday, I promise. Then I won't let you go.

"Goodbye, Chanyeol. Thank you for everything."