Final

Escape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                                       

Nancy pokes her strawberry cake with her fork uninterestingly for the past five minutes and this doesn't go unnoticed with the two girls she's with. The two friends exchanged looks, pushing each other which one of them will ask her what's wrong. Daisy gives in as she knows Ahin will never do it, too scared to do so.

 

Clearing , Daisy began to speak. "Hey, you know if you don't like to eat because of your diet thing you can just give it to Ahin."  

 

            Nancy jolts, realizing she's been drowning in her own thoughts again. She gives them a smile before pushing her strawberry cake to Ahin. "Here, my mom's going to kill me if I eat cake again"

 

            Ahin accepts her strawberry cake with guilt expressed on her face. Nancy, unlike her two friends, has a slower metabolism. One slice of cake and she'll gain another 10 pounds the next day.

 

            Having strict parents and also as a cheerleader, she's forced to maintain a nice figure by eating only a little. She came to a point where she starved herself after eating pastries with Daisy one day. She got a good scolding from her parents and told her to work out and not eat anything until she reaches the ‘average' weight her parents told her. She collapses on the school the next few days and her parents' still scolded her for being ‘weak'.

 

            Her parents are so keen in molding her to the kind of daughter they want. A perfect daughter having no flaws at all. They are willing to spend all their money on Nancy, their only child to become the daughter they've always wanted. Nancy has been living reaching the expectations of everyone. She grew up pressuring herself to meet those expectations but there seems to be no limit of it. Nancy could only cry her heart out alone in her room.

 

She was tired.

 

But no one knows.

 

Not her close friends, not her boyfriend, and especially not her parents. No one at all.

 

 That's what she thought.

 

 

 "your eyes are gonna leave your sockets anytime soon if you don't stop staring at her" Jiyeon said while chewing her sandwich.

 

 Yeonwoo scowls. "she's pathetic"

 

"I think she's great"


"you don't know her Jane" Yeonwoo glares at her.

 

"do you?" Jane retorts, giving the same glare at Yeonwoo.

 

             Jane smiled in triumph at their little argument when Yeonwoo doesn't speak a word. She continued to eat while Yeonwoo kept on stealing glances from the younger girl across their table.

 

  Yeonwoo thinks Nancy is too good to be true thus claiming she detests the Korean-American girl. Everywhere she goes, she always hears students talking about a girl whom they think is too perfect. Yeonwoo lets out a scoff. They clearly don't know how this stinking sphere works.

 

            When Jane tells her stories about the younger girl, her hatred towards the younger girl grew stronger. Nancy McDonie, a Korean-American babe with a jock boyfriend. She came from a wealthy family. Knows how to sing and dance. She also gets the lead roles in every school plays they have. A cheerleader. Violin and Piano prodigy. Her grades are also above average. With all those qualities she still remained humble and polite. Everyone thinks she's too good to be true and some students go as far as worshiping her.

 

Yeonwoo knows deep down, behind those obvious (to Yeonwoo only) fake smiles she gives on everyone, Nancy hides a billion imperfections. Yeonwoo had to praise Nancy's skill in hiding those.

 

and it irked her so much.

 

            It irks her so much why she tries so hard to please everyone. She hates how immature the girl is for not realizing how the world works. In this society? Clearly you cannot please everyone. Not even Nancy. Sure she is great but she hates how she works hard for everyone. Not for herself.

 

 "you know, I'm starting to think you like Nancy" Jane finishes her sandwich and drinks her bottle of water.

 

            "as if I'd let myself step into her world" Yeonwoo rolls her eyes as she sees Nancy giving those obvious (again to Yeonwoo only) fake laughs again to her boyfriend.

 

 

 

 I'm sorry Nancy something came up and I can't pick you up today.

 

  Nancy sighs and puts her phone inside her bag. She's now alone at the bus stop waiting for the next bus to arrive. She was soaking wet apparently since she ran all her way her from school.

 

  A tall girl walks in, clothes completely dry. Nancy thinks she's gorgeous even though she's not smiling but she can tell. She knew the taller girl. She's Lee Dabin or Yeonwoo as what Jane calls her. She was also popular for having good looks that can probably match the deities above.

 

  Unlike her, Dabin is rather unapproachable. Always minding her own business and Jane is her only friend. She heard that the girl sometimes skips classes or sleeps on it. Nancy hates to assume but she's always thought the older girl keeps stealing glances from her from time to time, usually in the cafeteria and in the Library. Dabin is known to sleep at the library oftentimes but sometimes she thinks the girl is only doing it on purpose so she could steal glances again from her since Nancy too, comes often at the library to do schoolwork. Nancy would be lying if she said it didn't make her feel anything at all every time she catches Dabin staring at her.

 

"boyfie can't pick you up?" the husky voice startled Nancy.

 

  "U-uhm yes…" Nancy shyly nods. It's the first time she hears Dabin talk. As far as she knows she never talks to anyone but to Jane only.

 

  "Terrible. He left you alone when it's raining this hard" Dabin said, looking straight ahead, not making any eye contact to the shorter girl.

 

  Nancy was about to defend her boyfriend when she realizes Dabin's words are true. Her boyfriend was indeed terrible for leaving her alone and he didn't even give her a valid excuse.

 

She sees Dabin finally looking at her but with a smirk. Nancy had to look away to cover her blushing self.

 

"He didn't even give you a valid reason"

 

  Nancy looks at Dabin again with a surprised look. How does she know? They never knew each other, only heard stories from her friends. She was just standing and suddenly the girl knows her as if she was a mind reader.

 

  "I'm no mind reader. I'm just very observant, but not a stalker either." Dabin shrugs. Once again, surprising Nancy. Dabin talks as if they already knew each other for years. Nancy knows she's good at hiding her own feelings or thoughts. She knows she's difficult to read even her close friends said it themselves. But why does it seem so easy for Dabin?

 

  "I should go. Wear this. Your parents wouldn't want you to be sick." Dabin takes off her jacket and placed it on Nancy. Before Nancy could decline, Dabin runs on the slippery sidewalk, the rain making her wet just as she is.

 

  "Lady, are you coming or not?" The bus driver asks, annoyed. Nancy hops on the bus and finds a seat for herself. She sat beside the window, hoping to see Dabin once more.

 

  "Your girlfriend?" Nancy chokes on the question of the girl on the other side of the bus. She has features which are sharper than Dabin’s, especially in the eyes. She notices another girl beside her, about her height, she thinks, also waiting for her answer.

 

  "uhhh, no."Nancy answers honestly. Girls? Nancy never thought of dating them. Her parents would definitely disown her if she did.

 

"really? Because that's something a lover would do"

 

 

  Nancy feels uncomfortable with the stares the students have been giving to her. Who wouldn't be? She's standing beside the door as if she was waiting for someone. If it was Vernon's classroom this shouldn't surprise them but Vernon's classroom was on the 2nd floor, and this classroom definitely isn't his.


A random student walked towards Nancy and asked "Is there anything I can help you with?"

 

"Uh… yes. Is Lee Dabin here?" Nancy replies enough for the girl to hear her.

 

            "I'm sorry?" The girl asks again, thinking she probably heard her wrong. No one other than Jane looks for Dabin. If there are any, that'd be a mystery. If it was Nancy who's looking for her, it'd be impossible. But here she is, looking for Dabin. 

 

Nancy clears again and increased her volume a little.

 

"Lee Dabin" The girl nearly chokes.

 

"Oh uhhh... She's not here. Jane told me she's sick" The girl replies.

 

"ahh, I see. Thank you."

 

  Of course. Who wouldn't get sick running in the rain with nothing but only her school uniform? It made her feel guilty even more. Never once she thought someone would do this for her. Specifically Lee Dabin.

 

 

              These are those times when she feels thankful for being miss popular in school. Anyone would happily comply with her requests. So when she visits the student council to look for student profiles, Hyebin, the student council president let her do as she pleases. She didn't bother to ask whose profile she was looking for as she was too busy with paperwork. She thanks Hyebin when she finally found what she's looking for.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter