A Long Story

A Long Story of Our Short Life

It was late Summer—or early Autumn, whatever you like—and a new school year would begin soon. The sun was still shining brightly even it was long after noontime. Cold breezes could be felt every now and then. Fields were filled with so many colorful flowers.

At one particular field (which only filled with purple and blue flowers and sometimes, white cogon grass), two boys lied underneath their tree (they claimed it was theirs because they got their names carved on it), exhausted after playing and running around the field. No words were coming from their mouth except their ragged breath. After some time, the taller one sat up and stared at the smaller yet older one.

“Ryeonggu, I heard that if you’re thinking about someone and then you unconsciously started to smile and you can’t live without each other and you both want to be with each other forever, that’s when you know you are soulmates.”

“Really?” The smaller sat up too, facing the other. “Forever seems like a very long time. But I think it nice to have your friend by your side, right Kyukyu? And I can’t bear a day at school without you.” The smaller smiled.

“Yeah, I’d rather skip school if you do not attend it.”

They both seemed in a deep thinking, and once again, they fell into very much comfortable silence.

 

The silence broke when a slightly-high pitched voice uttered his thoughts. “Then, do you think we’re soulmates, Kyuhyun-ah?”

Kyuhyun thought for a moment. “I’m not really sure, but I hope that we are. It always feels great when I’m with you.”

The taller kissed his cheeks and then pulled his best friend into a hug. He pulled back after a while and held the latter’s shoulder. His face and voice turned into a serious one.

“Ryeonggu, if we’re really soulmates, would you promise me that you will be with me forever? Promise me that you will be there for me, and I promise that I will be there for you, Wook-ah.”

“K-kyuhyun-ah…” The smaller was so touched. He could feel tears trying to escape his eyes.

The taller was shocked, not expecting the latter would be crying. He knew that Ryeowook’s a crybaby, but he thought that the latter would be ecstatic.

“Ryeong, w-why are you crying? Did I ask you too much? If you d-don’t want to, it’s o-okay…” He could feel his eyes sting, and apparently, his heart too, thinking that his best friend didn’t want to be with him.

“N-no! I-it isn’t like that! I was so happy that you want to be my soulmate, Kyu-ah, so happy that I cried!” The smaller giggled while he’s still crying.

“R-really? It’s not because you don’t want me?” The taller asked and smiled when the smaller nodded. “I… I promise that I will make you smile every day, Wook-ah! A-and you don’t have to make me smile because I will smile every time I see or think about you!” The taller held his hand and stared deeply into his eyes. “So, Wook-ah would you like spending your eternity with me?”

The smaller smiled, then leaned closer and whispered something into his ear. But before he spoke two-three words, their mothers suddenly shouting both of their names, asking them to come back because the sun will be setting anytime soon. Afraid of their mothers, they both stood up and ran back to the house.

 

At the age of 9 and 10, they made a promise and the sun witnessed it all.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun and Ryeowook were the best of friends. They met when they were in 2nd grade in elementary school. During the spring break, their mothers brought (or forced, for Kyuhyun) them to an annual neighborhood gathering at Ryeowook’s grandmother’s house. There were many kids that came along but they were all already playing in groups so Kyuhyun didn’t bother to join any of their groups.

Instead of making friends with other—ehm, noisy—kids, Kyuhyun wandered around the house (it’s not polite, he knew, but he’s so bored and besides, he could just show his killer and charming puppy eyes if he ever got caught). That’s when he saw a familiar boy helping the ahjummas in the kitchen. He peeked from behind a wall so that he wouldn’t get caught by the ahjummas and being asked to help too, (like the boy, he thought) and not because he was afraid of getting caught watching every move the boy was making.

Unfortunately, his own mother saw him and called his name thus now every person in the room looked at him. He didn’t have a choice but to get out from his hiding place. He introduced himself to the ahjummas and ready to leave, but before he could escape, his mother held his hand. “You haven’t introduced yourself to Wookie.”

Kyuhyun tried to give his mother a pleading eye but she’s having none of that, so Kyuhyun walked to the boy and offered his hand. “I’m Kyuhyun. Nice to meet you.”

The other stared at Kyuhyun’s hand and then took it while bowing slightly. “I’m Ryeowook. Nice to meet you.”

“There’s no need to bow. We’re the same age, right?” Kyuhyun looked surprised when he saw the latter bowed.

Kyuhyun’s mother suddenly barged in their conversation. “He may be on the same grade as you, but he is a year older than you, Kyu. Shouldn’t you call him hyung?”

Before Kyuhyun could retort, an ahjumma patted his shoulder. “It’s okay. Ryeowook’s just a few months older than Kyuhyun, right? It will be awkward if Kyu has to call Wookie, hyung, since Kyuhyun’s taller than him.”

It was Ryeowook’s mother, whom then smiled. “Wookie, why don’t you take Kyuhyun to the backyard? I heard that Kyuhyun likes to play outside.”

No, Kyuhyun hates playing outside. But he didn’t stop when Ryeowook’s soft hand pulled his own to follow him. Before he was completely out of the room, he could hear his mother saying thanks to Ryeowook’s mother because Kyuhyun finally being outside to play.

 

After almost five hours chilling and chatting underneath a tree, Kyuhyun found out that Ryeowook was in the same school as him, and in the same year too. That’s why he felt familiar when he saw Ryeowook.

Kyuhyun also found that Ryeowook liked to cook, gardening (they promised next time they would redecorate the field with purple and blue flowers since those were their favorite colors) and read, not much into sports except for archery and shooting, and enjoyed singing and playing the piano. He found out that everyone called him ‘Wookie’ because it’s cute and Ryeowook used to feel embarrassed.

Kyuhyun found out that his father worked on a big company, while his mother stayed home, and he had a crazy yet protective older brother, Heechul, a close cousin who lived nearby, Donghae, and a friend from school, Shindong (who liked to eat every food Ryeowook’s experimenting to cook).

Kyuhyun found out that Ryeowook’s eyes were the perfect color of brown, his hair was so soft, and his skin was flawless. Kyuhyun was left to smile because he found out that he had found someone who really fitted his personality—and preferences.

In the other hand, Ryeowook had already seen Kyuhyun many times (coincidently because Kyuhyun is so popular and not because he was accidentally following him sometimes) and had known that he was in the same year and school as Kyuhyun. He knew that Kyuhyun loved playing StarCraft, and chose football if he must. Today, he found out that Kyuhyun also enjoyed singing and playing piano like him, oh and harmonica too.

He already knew that his parents had undergone their own enormous business, but he only found out now that he had an annoying older sister, Ahra. He knew that Kyuhyun had two friends since kindergarten, Changmin and Eunhyuk.

And today, he found out that Kyuhyun’s eyes were so mesmerizing, his hair fell so perfectly, and his skin is so white. Ryeowook smiled because he found out that he was the only person who could call Kyuhyun ‘Kyu’ without annoying him, and that now Kyuhyun had his own nickname for Ryeowook, ‘Ryeonggu’.

What both didn’t find out was, they were both feeling glad to know each other, and they enjoyed each other’s company so much. They also didn’t notice how the sun shone unusually longer that day so they could have a sweet lengthy conversation. But one thing for sure, at the age of 7, they both decided that from then on, they would never be apart.

 

---

 

After nine years of being together, their bond was surely hard to break. They went to school and having classes together (Kyuhyun demanded that they have to stay in the same classes), ate lunch together along with Changmin, Shindong, Eunhyuk and Donghae, studied (messing around) together, went home together (poor Donghae for being a third wheel) and even sleeping together (because Kyuhyun insisted that he needed Wookie’s caressing when he was sick—yeah right, sick your , said Ahra and Heechul). They haven’t been separated since the first day they met and they intended to be just like that for a long time. However, sometimes things don’t go as planned.

Ryeowook’s father suddenly got promoted to work in another country when he was in high school and he had to follow his family moved out of the country. It was the worst year for both Ryeowook and Kyuhyun, who had planned to be with each other forever. It was the year that they had their first real fight—with shouting and broken things. Kyuhyun accused Ryeowook for breaking their promise, and Ryeowook blamed Kyuhyun because he was so stubborn. It was the year that, for the first time, everyone saw Kyuhyun’s sharp-staring eyes cried a river and didn’t hear Ryeowook’s bubbly happy voice all day long. Kyuhyun only stopped crying after receiving comfort from Wook’s parents and Changmin and Eunhyuk, and some deadly glares from Ahra and Heechul (because who would know that Kyuhyun’s crying was surprisingly more annoying than his brother’s). And Ryeowook’s voice could finally be heard after hearing sweet words and hug from Kyu’s parents and Donghae and Ahra (because Wookie’s cute and Kyuhyun’s not), and more dead glares from Heechul.

Although no more screams could be heard, Kyuhyun and Ryeowook still hadn’t spoken to each other. Ryeowook wanted to apologize. He really did, because in those last few days, he wanted nothing but to make sweet memories with his best friend. As for Kyuhyun, he wanted to apologize too, but he didn’t just because he thought that apologizing meant that he had willed to let Ryeowook go.

They finally made up two days after—just a few days more before Ryeowook’s departure. And it’s all because Kyuhyun got jealous seeing Ryeowook hanging around his girl and boy friends during the recess, and resulting the smaller got dragged away by Kyuhyun to their hideaway, the librarian small lounge (which they got permission to enter because Ryeowook was such a nice kid and the old lady couldn’t shoo Kyuhyun away).

 

“We were saying goodbyes!”

“But they don’t need to hug you! You were always with them! Saying goodbyes, you said?! They don’t need your farewells! I’m the one who should get your comfort and goodbyes even though there’s nothing ‘good’ about it! If you don’t want to hang out with me anymore, then just say so!”

Hearing that, Ryeowook’s heart quivered and tears started pooling in his eyes. He didn’t want Kyuhyun to see so he lowered his head. “It’s n-not like that... I-I do want to hang out with you before I g-go, but I know t-that you s-still mad at me. A-and... I-I-I...” he faltered, unable to hold back his tears.

Kyuhyun fell into silence. He could see desperation—and small tears—on the latter’s eyes. He could feel his vision started to blur because of the tears too but he held back.

After seeing no response from the taller yet younger boy, Ryeowook started to walk away, only to had Kyuhyun pulling him into a very deep hug. “I’m truly sorry, Wook-ah. I-I’m not mad, I-I-I just don’t want you to go… I’m sorry, Wook-ah... sorry...”

Ryeowook letting out aloud sobs he was holding and clung tighter onto Kyuhyun’s embrace. “I d-d-don’t want t-to g-go too. I want to s-stay here with y-you, but I m-must g-go. I w-want to spend time w-w-with you b-before I go, so I’ll h-have sweet m-memories about u-us.” His tears dampened Kyuhyun’s shirt. “A-and I’m sorry t-t-too…”

Kyuhyun’s heart suddenly felt warm, and so did his cheeks when tears silently escaped his eyes. They both stayed like that for a while before Kyuhyun pulled away a little to wipe his and Ryeowook’s tears. “Ryeonggu... let’s skip school tomorrow so we can make up our wasted time.” Kyuhyun suddenly said.

Ryeowook kept silent for a moment before spoke up. “Kyukyu, we can’t just skip school like that. You’ll get left behind!”

“But I want to spend my time with you! I want to make our last days together memorable for both of us. And don’t worry about school, I’m a genius after all.” Kyuhyun snickered, resulting in a light smack on his chest and Ryeowook’s small laugh. “C’mon Ryeonggu~ just tomorrow~ pleaseeee…”

The latter let out another small laugh because of Kyuhyun’s attempts on aegyo. “All right, all right. Just one day, okay?”

“Okay~” The taller kissed his cheeks and clung to his arm. The smaller blushed when Kyuhyun asked to kiss him back. He was going to ignore his best friend’s childish behavior but gave up after the younger kept nagging him. So Ryeowook leaned up to press his lips on Kyuhyun’s cheeks.

They both were cuddling on the couch inside the lounge when the smaller suddenly sighed. “We’re so going to get scolded.”

“I’ll be okay because you’re going to get scolded too.” Kyuhyun teased. He then yelped when Ryeowook slapped his chest hard.

They both went to their class after the bell rang. For the rest of the day, the two best friends never stop clinging to each other.

 

It turned out that they skipped school for three days after they managed to get away from their mothers’ wrath thanks to their fathers (“Let them be.”, “They’re going to be separated for a long time.”, “Let them spend their time together.”, and much more).

They spent their morning in Ryeowook’s room (Kyuhyun had spent the night at the Kim’s residence), catching up everything they have missed when they were arguing last days. Then, they had take-out lunch on their secret treehouse (really, it’s just an abandoned treehouse which they didn’t bother telling their friends about). After that, they wandered around the town, visiting ahjummas and ahjussis they knew for bidding goodbyes. They spent their afternoon cooking with their mothers. Both families had dinner together at Kyuhyun’s house. After dinner, they played family games, in which Kyuhyun easily won and Heechul was forced to admit his lost. They all had a very great evening, sharing their laughter with one another.

All day long, Kyuhyun would take glances at Ryeowook, and smiled when he saw the smaller laughed, but deep inside his heart, he couldn’t deny the fact that Ryeowook would still be gone in few days. That made Kyuhyun cherished this moment more than anything. He could do nothing to stop the latter from going, so on the way to Ryeowook’s house, he held the smaller closer than ever.

All day long, Ryeowook had to fake a smile because he always remembered that he had to go and they would finally be separated. He had turned his head away every now and then when a tear threatened to fall. But that night, for once, Ryeowook forgot that he would move away when he fell asleep with a smile on Kyuhyun’s embrace.

 

The next day, they went to the zoo with Changmin and Donghae, after Kyuhyun forced them to skip school. Unfortunately, Shindong and Eunhyuk couldn’t come along because they had to practice for the dance competition. They met up at the main gate but separated ways when Changmin and Donghae got bored after 15 minutes staring at the giraffes. Ryeowook urged Kyuhyun to go with their friends too, but the latter insisted on staying with him.

They met up again during lunch time. They agreed to have lunch near the zoo. Right after they finished their meal, Ryeowook’s phone rang.

“Yah, Kim Ryeowook, where are you?”

“I’m at a cafeteria near the zoo. Why are you calling, hyung?”

“Nothing. Do you already have a plan after this?”

“I don’t know. Wait,” Ryeowook turned his head to face Kyuhyun. “Kyu, what are we going to do after this?”

“If Heechul hyung’s going to come then I won’t tell.” Kyuhyun said softly.

“I heard you Kim Kyu!” Heechul shouted very loud that even Changmin and Donghae (who were at the other side of the table) could hear through the phone. “Wookie, can you give this phone to your beloved devil?”

Ryeowook handed over the phone to Kyuhyun, but the latter refused. The smaller then shoved his phone into Kyuhyun’s ear, and unwillingly, he accepted it. After some shouting and threats, Heechul hung up the phone and Kyuhyun sent some messages to Heechul’s phone. Then, they paid their meals and went out of the cafeteria.

“Where are we going Kyukyu?” Ryeowook asked.

“Theme park.” Kyuhyun answered shortly, still in a bad mood after Heechul’s phone call. Suddenly, Kyuhyun‘s hand reached the smaller hand. “Let’s walk like this now since your brother would likely kill me if he saw me holding your hand.”

Ryeowook laughed then nodded. He intertwined their fingers and both walked ahead. Behind them, Donghae laughed when Changmin grunted.

“They’re ignoring us again. Why bother inviting us to come with them when they act like the world only belongs to them?” Changmin looked to his side where Donghae walked beside him. “By the way, why does Heechul hyung call him Kim Kyu?”

“Oh, it’s just Heechul hyung’s new pet name for Kyuhyun. He really likes the idea of Wookie and Kyuhyun becoming a couple.”

“But he seems to dislike Kyuhyun so much.”

Donghae laughed. “Oh, he did, just a little bit, because he doesn’t want Wookie to get corrupted by him. But on the other hand, Kyuhyun has never failed to protect his little brother. Both of them are happy simply because of each other’s existence, and Heechul hyung really wants his little brother to be happy.”

“Then, shouldn’t Ryeowook be the one who changes the name?”

“I think so too. But Heechul hyung refuses to let Ryeowook change his surname into ‘Cho’, instead, he insists that Kyuhyun is the one who should change it. That’s why he called him Kim Kyu, and Kyuhyun seemed not really bothered about it. Besides, they look cute together, don’t they?” Donghae explained, “I mean, Wookie has been crushing on him for a long time.”

“Yeah. Don’t you think they really should be together?”

Donghae nodded. “I don’t know about Kyuhyun’s feelings, tho. But I do suspect Kyuhyun likes Wookie at some points.”

“Oh, believe me, he is.” Changmin smirked.

 

It turned out that Heechul, Shindong and Eunhyuk had been waiting for them. Kyuhyun immediately let go of Ryeowook’s hand when Heechul glared at them. They bought their tickets before entering the theme park. They played almost every ride and took some pictures at the photo booth. They then went to Carnival Games section and played their own preferences of games. Shindong, Heechul and Ryeowook played Horse Race, Eunhyuk and Donghae played the basketball, while Kyuhyun and Changmin played skeeball.

“Why is Heechul hyung calling you Kim Kyu?” Changmin suddenly asked.

“Don’t know.” Kyuhyun answered without really paying attention because he’s too focused on his game, trying to beat Changmin’s score.

“You know, I heard that Heechul hyung wanted you and Wookie become a couple.”

Kyuhyun went rigid for a moment before glared at him. “Haha. Very funny, bro, good luck trying to distract me.”

“I’m not.” Changmin said sternly and Kyuhyun missed a shot. “I’ve never realized it before, but you guys seem getting closer and clingier towards each other time after time. You got jealous easily when Wookie talked to his friends, including me. Have you ever wondered why?”

Kyuhyun, who seemed paler a bit, released his breath he didn’t notice he had been holding, “Psshh, we’re best friend! I’ve known him for so long! And I never feel jealous!” he then continued throwing the skeeball.

“I am your best friend and you’ve known me much longer than Wookie. You never did those things towards me, not that I wanted to. Even the best of friends had their own time and privacy. You and Wookie are practically glued to each other. That’s more than just a ‘best friend’ to me.”

And once again, Kyuhyun missed his shot. “This game is stupid.”

Kyuhyun ignored his friend and looking for another game. Changmin followed him behind. They were walking around when they heard Ryeowook cried out because he almost won some game. Ryeowook looked at the prize-he-almost-got, disappointed. Shindong patted his back and drag him away to another game booth. Kyuhyun glared at Shindong from afar and then walked towards the game booth which Ryeowook just left. He looked at the prizes and smiled a bit, “Oh, so Ryeonggu wanted that plushie.” then, he started playing the game.

Changmin, who had been watching the scene in front of him all the time, just smiled amusingly and followed his friend to the game booth. He decided to tease his best friend more. “Are you sure you’re not jealous?” Changmin snickered when Kyuhyun missed a point. “Why did you miss Kyu? Distracted?”

“Shut up.” Kyuhyun said without breaking his view on the game.

“I can see Shindong hugs your Wookie.”

Kyuhyun turned his head, and he lost the game. When he couldn’t see Ryeowook and Shindong, he turned his head back and glared at Changmin, “You’re so dead!” he then started playing the game again.

Changmin snickered. “Why are you trying so hard Kyu? You sure you didn’t feel something more towards my Wookie?”

Teeettt… missed points.

“Ah, our gameKyu had lost his skill! You won’t win the prize Kyu. Just admit that you like him and maybe God will let you win.” Changmin smirked. “My Wookie must be sad because KyuKyu couldn’t get the prize.”

Teeettt… another missed points.

After more teasings, Kyuhyun finally turned his head really fast. “Stop it! Don’t call him your Wookie and only Wookie who can call me Kyukyu! And yes, I like him!!! I like—no—I love him so much!!! There! Can you leave me alone because I need to win this game!”

Kyuhyun felt his face becoming hot and he could feel his face started to blush, so he turned his head and started the game again. Changmin was surprised at first but then smiled and patted his back, “Then good luck, my friend.” he then left Kyuhyun alone.

 

---

 

“Where’s Kyukyu?” Ryeowook stopped walking while they were heading to the nearest restaurant.

“He’s still playing games.” Changmin answered, failed to hide his smile.

“Shouldn’t we wait for him?”

“No. I’m hungry and I must eat dinner now if I don’t want to get bloated,” Heechul said while walking ahead, followed by Shindong and Eunhyuk. “And besides, he’s not a baby. He can take care of himself, Wookie.”

“B-but...”

“He’ll be fine, Wook.” Donghae smiled and patted his back then left him behind.

Ryeowook sighed and looked at Changmin. “He might not know where we’re heading.”

“We can walk slower so Kyuhyun could catch up.” Changmin started to walk slowly.

After some moments hesitating, Ryeowook finally followed and walked beside Changmin. They walked in silence before Changmin spoke up. “Kyuhyun does act like a baby sometimes.”

Ryeowook chuckled. “He is.”

“You don’t feel annoyed? Many times I wanted to tie him and throw him to the sea.” Changmin joked.

“You’re so mean! He’s your best friend!” Ryeowook and Changmin laughed together.

“But seriously, you must have felt annoyed sometimes, right? Especially when he acts clingy to you.”

“He does get on my nerves sometimes, but it’s not that bad. And him being clingy means that he’s comfortable around you.”

“He never acts clingy towards me, but he seems comfortable enough.”

“Oh? You want me to talk to Kyuhyun to cling to you?” Ryeowook teased.

“Oh, please don’t. On the contrary, I’m glad he only did that to you.” Changmin said then stopped walking and looked at Ryeowook, who was now laughing.

 Ryeowook stopped walking too when he didn’t see Changmin beside him. He looked back and saw Changmin’s serious face.

“Is there something wrong?”

“Oh, no, nothing. I’ve just realized that Kyuhyun is attached to you so much. He has never clung to others, not even his parents and noona.” hearing no response from Ryeowook, he continued. “Don’t you think that he might have some feelings to you?”

“W-what are you talking a-about?” Ryeowook was taken aback.

“I think, no, I’m sure that he likes you very much.”

“O-of course he likes me! I’m his f-friend.” Ryeowook laughed nervously.

“You know that’s not what I mean.”

“W-what? I-I’m not... I-I don’t...”

“Why are you stuttering, Wook? Don’t be tensed, relax!” Changmin chuckled. “Don’t you like him too? More than just a friend?”

“I’m his best f-friend! I-I-I c-can’t...” he didn’t know why, but Ryeowook could feel his eyes started to sting. If Heechul was there, he would definitely call him a crybaby.

Changmin smiled softly and put his hands on the smaller’s shoulders. He was about to say something when he saw Kyuhyun running towards him.

“Wait here, Wook-ah. Don’t move.” he said, then left Ryeowook behind.

Ryeowook was confused, but he stayed still before he heard his name being called.

“Ryeonggu, where’d Changmin go?”

“K-kyu!” Ryeowook turned around, surprised.

“Hey, were you crying? Did Changmin make you cry?!”

“N-no! I-I got something in my eyes...” Ryeowook lied.

“Oh, where? Here, let me help you.” Kyuhyun held Ryeowook’s cheek, leaned in and blew some air to the latter’s eyes.

“T-thanks Kyu.” Ryeowook said when Kyuhyun had pulled back. He could feel blush started to creep on his cheek, so he turned around and said, “Come on Kyu, the others are having a dinner.”

“Okay.” Kyuhyun reached the smaller’s hand and swayed it a little while they are walking to the restaurant.

Ryeowook looked at their joined hands and smiled. He then rested his head on the taller’s shoulder. “I hope what Changmin said is true.”

 

After the dinner, Eunhyuk, Shindong, and Changmin went back home by subway. Heechul dropped Donghae to his house by his car, then drove to Kyuhyun’s house to drop Ryeowook and the latter. Heechul turned off the car when they arrived. He then got out and opened the back door. He looked at Ryeowook who had fallen asleep along the road.

“Don’t wake him up.” he said to Kyuhyun.

“I have no intention doing that, hyung.” Kyuhyun said while trying to carry Ryeowook with his hands. “Could you press the bell, hyung?”

After some time, the door was opened by Ahra. “Oh! Hi Heechul! Where’s Wookie and Kyu?”

“Hi noona, they’re behi-”

“Move aside hyung! Noona, go away! Your loud voices will wake him up!”

“Ya! Maknae! You’re the one who shouting!” Ahra smacked his brother’s head and Heechul pinched his hand.

“Ow! It hurts noona, hyung! You’re so mean!” the youngest then managed to get away to his bedroom upstairs when Heechul was about to hit him harder.

“Aish that kid. Make yourself comfortable, I will go back to my room. Night, Kim!”

“Night, noona.”

After Ahra closed her door, Heechul wandered around the living room, looking at some photos. Almost half of them were Kyuhyun’s photos with Ryeowook. He smiled a bit then sat on the sofa, waiting for Kyuhyun to come down. Not long after, Kyuhyun went down and sat in front of Heechul.

“Changmin told me.” Heechul said suddenly. He laughed at Kyuhyun’s expression then continued when he saw Kyuhyun’s face becoming red. “Don’t be mad at him. I pushed him to spill everything.” Heechul smirked and Kyuhyun only sighed and palming his face.

 

*flashback*

Kyuhyun finally won the prize after the nth time. He smiled but suddenly he panicked. He looked around and saw Ryeowook’s back turned to him. He sighed a little and then went searching for Changmin. When he found him, Kyuhyun straightly dragged Changmin away where Ryeowook couldn’t see them. But they didn’t know that Heechul had been eyeing them. He saw Kyuhyun talked to Changmin and then went away. Changmin was walking back to the game booth when Heechul stopped him and glared at him. “H-hyung!”

“Where’s Kyuhyun?” Heechul said sternly, making Changmin swallowed hard

“He… he went to the… toilets! Yes, his stomach hurts!” he lied.

“Oh, so he went to the toilets with a doll.”

“E-eh? I mean, he will go to the toilets after he… he…”

“After what?”

“After… after returning the doll he just found! Yeah! He found a doll and… and he…”

“You’re still going to lie to me? You’re not going to tell me where Kyuhyun is?” Heechul’s face is expressionless but Changmin was beyond scared. Heechul then moved closer and closer, still giving the death glare to the poor boy. “I’ll count to three. One… two… thr-”

“Okay! Okay! I’ll tell you… just don’t move closer!” Changmin knew that the older was just messing with him. “Gosh hyung! You’re very intimidating!” he said when he heard Heechul laughed. And with that, Changmin told him everything.

*end of flashback*

 

“I asked Changmin to distract Wookie, so I can find you and kick your .” he smirked when Kyuhyun looked at him with horror. “Nah, I’m kidding… or maybe not.”

“Hyung!”

Heechul laughed. “By the way, I suggested having dinner. I walked ahead and left the kids. But some of them followed me. I told them to go ahead while I need to do something. Then I ran to the main gate and just like what Changmin said, I saw you trying to hide the doll.”

Kyuhyun cursed Changmin inwardly before sighed defeatedly.

So that’s why Heechul hyung suddenly approached him and told him to put his thing on the car trunk without being nosy as usual. The younger sighed again before he spoke to the older.

“So… about Wookie and me, are yo-”

“I don’t like seeing my little brother get corrupted by your evil being.”

Kyuhyun had already opened his mouth to protest but Heechul stopped him. “But you’re always taking care of him and adore him. I do hate your rude and evil attitude, but if you really care for him, and love him, don’t you ever dare to hurt him once you both get together or else…”

After seeing Kyuhyun’s enthusiastic nod, the older stood up. “Oh, I almost forgot, I put the doll on the table over there. Tell him as soon as you can, he’d been waiting for so long. Don’t waste more time, Kyuhyun-ah. I entrusted my precious brother to you.”

Kyuhyun’s mind went blank for a while. It was the first time Heechul called his name without any displeasing tone. After processing what he had heard, Kyuhyun suddenly hugged Heechul, who was already walking towards the door.

“Thank you, hyung.”

Heechul stood still but he smiled secretly. Then he put up his grumpy face and smacked the younger’s head. “Ya! Don’t hug me!”

“Aw! It hurts, hyung!” Kyuhyun rubbed his head. “Hyung, how could you do this to your soon-to-be brother in law?!”

Heechul was about to hit Kyuhyun again, but the latter escaped. “Ya! This evil kid! You’re going to corrupt Wookie sooner or later! I take back my words!”

“No, hyung! Please! I’m just kidding! I promise I will do my best taking care of him! Please hyuunngg…”

Although he almost threw up seeing the latter’s aegyo, Heechul saw sincerity on Kyuhyun’s eyes. He was grateful that Kyuhyun loved his brother wholeheartedly. But on one side, he felt bad because in the end, Ryeowook was still going to leave. With his poker face, Heechul said, “Don’t break your promise! I’ll go back now. Don’t touch my brother while he’s sleeping.”

“Yes, hyung. Be careful, hyung!” Kyuhyun waved his hand as Heechul’s car started moving. He then closed the door and went to his room with a smile on his face.

On the other hand, Heechul smiled bitterly. He could only wish them all the best and hoped that their separation’s only temporary. He stopped driving for a while, parked at the side road, and closed his eyes. He rarely prayed, but now, he asked the universe—almost begging—for them to meet again someday and finally lived in those happily ever after things.

 

---

 

The night went too fast for anyone’s liking. They woke up when the sun was already high up in the sky, but neither of them got up from the bed. Kyuhyun woke first and spent nice 10 minutes staring at the little boy in front of him before the latter opened his eyes. They stared at each other in the most comfortable silent they had ever experienced.

Kyuhyun hesitantly moved his head down but proceed to continue firmly when the smaller didn’t move away. He could feel their heartbeat increasing every second and his ears felt hot. He could see blush creeping on Ryeowook’s face before the smaller shut his eyes tight. He mirrored Ryeowook and leaned in closer and closer. They both could feel their breath mingled before they finally touched each other’s lips.

It was a simple, innocent peck on the lips yet they felt all the feelings they had been hiding exploded into thousand fireworks in their chests. They both let go of the kiss and smiled sincerely and full of relieved before crushed their lips again into a much deeper kiss.

They had their brunch on the bed and cuddled until Mrs. Kim came to pick up her son in the evening. They both half-heartedly let go of each other and neither of them missed the tears that had already welled up their eyes.

Kyuhyun and his mother waved at the moving car but suddenly he remembered the doll on the desk. He harshly went back into the house to fetch it and wasting no time running outside to chase the car. But time never waited for anyone, so he decided to make up everything tomorrow.

He then went upstairs to his parents’ room, opened their drawer, and took some money before heading outside to ride his bike while shouting out loud.

“MOM! I took your money in the drawer! I’ll return it later!”

Mrs. Cho could only stare at his son cycling fast towards downtown without even trying to stop him. She knew how stubborn and determined her son could be, and like her son had always said, “What Kyuhyun wants, Kyuhyun will always get.

 

Kyuhyun returned home almost at midnight, threw his bike onto the garage and practically jumping three steps of stairs before he reached his bedroom. He didn’t even bother to close the door. He took some papers and a pen, running through his room to his desk and started writing.

He tried to write something sweet but he felt his words are overrated. He crumpled the paper and tossed it over his shoulder. He then tried writing again, in more romantic words. He almost puked after re-reading it. Again, he threw away the wrinkled paper. He repeated the cycle over and over. Too cheesy, too plain, too romantic, too cliché, too anything.

He groaned and tousled his hair in frustration before looking around, crumpled papers are all over the room. His eyes wandered to the clock across the room, “It’s already past midnight.” Kyuhyun sighed tiredly. Cycling his bike so fast from his house to downtown, then rushing in and out more than a dozen shops, and go back home faster really drained his stamina. He peeked at the bed beside him, it never looked so tempting before. He almost gave up and stood up from the chair, but then his mind snapped and he shook his head before sat back again.

After the nth time he had scribbled the paper and threw it away (again), he shouted in aggravation and dropped his head to the desk. Hard. He then whined, because of the pain, because he’s tired, because his brain couldn’t work well tonight, because he’s sleepy, because he missed his Wookie, and mostly because he’s still reluctant about Wookie’s depart.

He then closed his mouth with his hands, shut his eyes tight, and screamed, before his consciousness finally gave up. Kyuhyun immediately drifted into the dreamland, not knowing that Ahra (who had intended to scold him for disturbing her sleep, but instead she saw how pitiful her brother particularly tonight) had put a blanket over his shoulder and closed the door gently.

 

The young boy was awakened by the loud voice of her sister’s. He jumped from the chair, looking at the clock and then glaring towards the door. He was ready to bark at her for waking him up this early but was faster than his.

“Why aren’t you ready?! Wookie’s flight is in two hours!”

“What?! He said his flight will be this afternoon!”

Ahra sighed. “You haven’t check your phone, have you? Good thing he sent it to me too last night.”

“What?!” Kyuhyun checked his phone, it turned out that the battery ran out. “!”

Ahra watched his brother running to the bathroom, then to the closet while still brushing his teeth, putting on clothes not bothering to wash first, and setting up some bags and a doll. In the midst of that, Kyuhyun cursed out loud. Ahra almost smacked his mouth if Kyuhyun didn’t move away fast.

“Go away! I need to write letters for Wookie. I couldn’t compose perfect words for him.” Kyuhyun said while hurriedly fetched out more papers.

Ahra stood silently watching his brother wrote things just to crumpled it again and again. She finally walked to his brother and put her arms around his shoulder, comforting him. Kyuhyun looked up and Ahra felt sad seeing his little brother’s face contorted in desperation, with tears threatening to spill out any seconds.

“I-I can’t do this. I don’t have much time.”

“Hey, hey don’t cry. Take a deep breath and close your eyes for a second. Just think about how Wookie’s has made you feel all this time, and convey it through the pen. Don’t push it too hard.” Ahra said while holding the latter’s face. “We’ll be waiting at the car. Just take your time.”

Kyuhyun nodded and smiled a bit. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath as Ahra closed the door.

 

Kyuhyun came out of the front door ten minutes after, 2-3 bags hang on his arm. He locked the door before went inside the car. The car moved fast throughout the neighborhood, into the main street, and finally entered the highway to the airport. It roughly took 50 minutes to get to the airport, but today everyone seemed in need to go to the airport as well.

The traffic wasn’t that bad, but cars were moving slowly. Kyuhyun got fidgety on his seat and contemplating whether he should just run to the airport or not. He was about to make up his mind to just open the door and run ten miles when soft and warm hands laid above his cold and sweaty hands. He looked at his side and saw Ahra was smiling softly at him. moved without any sound, everything’s going to be okay. We will make it.

 

They made it through the airport just 15 minutes before the passengers boarded. Kyuhyun instantly got off of the car and searched for the flight information board. His eyes moved up and down looking for departure gate for the flight to Canada, but he couldn’t focus to find it. So, he went to the information desk and ask the employee. He ran to the said gate after saying thanks. The gate was 10 mins walk, quite far for his liking. He never ran this fast before, his heart thumped faster to provide energy for him to run, sweats were all over his body, and his leg begging him to stop.

Everything around him was blurring and buzzing, but he only focused on one person. He saw Ryeowook not far from him, about to give the airport staff his boarding pass. Kyuhyun shouted his name, not minding a bit when people looked at him, that included Ryeowook and his family.

“Go on, I think Kyuhyun has something to say.” Ryeowook’s mom said.

After hearing that, Ryeowook jogged towards Kyuhyun and the latter pulled him into a bone-crushing hug. At that moment, the world was theirs.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun felt anxious. People here and there turned their head looking at him. But that wasn’t the reason why he felt anxious. He’s wearing a very nice suit, hair sleeked back, shining shoes complimented his black suit and a very big bouquet of purple and blue flowers.

Ryeowook’s family came back into the country two years ago, but sadly Ryeowook had to stay aboard to finish his college. And just 10 minutes ago, Ryeowook’s plane had landed.

In the midst of waiting, Kyuhyun’s mind traveled through these past seven years. They visited each other every once a while, and both families even spent some vacations together. He remembered that one time when the Kim’s new neighbor’s kid, Henry, joined their vacation. Kyuhyun really didn’t like him at first sight. That kid was so freaking handful! And he got all Ryeowook’s attention which was supposed to be Kyuhyun’s. Ryeowook even scolded him because that kid said that Kyuhyun always harassed him (which was not completely true, “I was just playing with him!”, Kyuhyun said). But nevertheless, they got along at the end of the day.

Kyuhyun snapped out of his daydream when the door in front of him opened, revealing someone he missed so much. Both of them stunned at their places for a second before Kyuhyun turned his vision downward, hiding his smile. He looked up again, and Ryeowook had already walked towards him.

“You know, at first I thought you’re a chauffeur or something because you’re wearing a suit.” Ryeowook teased.

“Hey! I’m just trying to impress you, alright? And I think I looked good.”

Ryeowook rolled his eyes before laugh a bit, “Here comes the narcissistic again.”

Kyuhyun just smiled, and then pulled the shorter male into a deep hug. They kept still for some moments, not minding people around them.

“Aren’t you going to let go?”

“No… I missed you too much.”

“We met last vacation, you know.”

“But still.”

They hugged for another moment before letting go of each other. Kyuhyun then gave the bouquet to the latter before they started to walk.

“Here. This is for you.”

“Aw, you’re so sweet! And by the way, where’s the ring? You’re supposed to bring out the ring now, aren’t you?”

Kyuhyun coughed after hearing that, “W-what? What ring? I-I don’t know about any ring!”

“Oh, come on! I knew you already asked my dad’s permission. Hyung told me.”

“Ugh, that crazy hyung!” the taller facepalmed his face and squatted to hide his face, and whined.

“Hey, hey, are you crying?”

“No!” still whining.

Ryeowook held his laughter and followed to squat beside the taller. “Are you mad at me for ruining your surprise?”

“No… I could never mad at you. But I do mad at Heechul hyung, that crazy moron!”

Ryeowook just patted his back.

“I’m sorry, Wookie, for ruining this.” right now, Kyuhyun really cried.

“Hey, it’ alright, why are you crying?” Ryeowook giggled.

“It’s just… I really want to make this special and surprises you. I failed.”

Ryeowook smiled so lovingly after hearing that, “Well, I’m sorry too for ruining this moment. But, thinking about it, you haven’t really proposed me yet, so you know, you can always surprise me then. You haven’t failed, Kyukyu.”

“Really?” Kyuhyun looked at him with his puppy eyes.

Ryeowook just giggled, “Yes!”, he then got up, pulling Kyuhyun with him, “Now, come on! Let’s go home. They must be waiting for us.”

The smaller looked ahead and started to walk, hand still holding Kyuhyun’s. but not before the seventh steps, his hand was tugged down. He turned to see if Kyuhyun was throwing tantrums again, but to his surprise (finally!), he saw Kyuhyun kneeling with a box of a ring, opened on his hand. His hands instantly flew to cover his mouth.

“I know after this you will smack me, but this is the real surprise.”

“Yeah! Smack him har—ouch! Mom!” it was Heechul’s voice. Ryeowook turned his head and he just realized that his and Kyuhyun’s families, and friends, even Henry too, are there! Tears started b in his eyes, and he did it. He smacked Kyuhyun quite hard.

“You! I hate you! You played me!”

“No, Wookie, you love me, and I’m sorry but a surprise is a surprise, I’m not playing you.” Kyuhyun laughed.

“Don’t be mad, Wookie, Kyuhyun had been stressed out thinking about this.” Ryeowook’s mom said.

“I’m not mad… I’m just, surprised.” Ryeowook wiped his tears.

“So, Kim Ryeowook, would you make me the happiest man by taking this ring and spend your eternity with me?” Kyuhyun said seriously before teased the smaller, “You better say yes because I really want to wipe that tears right now but that means I need to stand up than kneeling again.”

Ryeowook laughed, right after he smacked him again, and finally, he pulled Kyuhyun up and kissed him. “Yes! Yes, yes, and always yes.”

 

---

 

On their twenties, they finished their first chapter of life. But eternity is a long, long journey. There are more chapters to go, and time is an absolute thing. Because their story is a long, sweet one, among the others in this short, beautiful life.