The preparty

Hostage

”Surely that’s enough!” I huffed as Hanbin poured some liquor into his punch. And by ”some” I meant, almost the entire bottle. It was getting late - close to nine in the evening - and our guests could arrive any minute now. Hanbin’s friend Kim Jiwon, more accurately known as Bobby, said he’d arrive around nine. I was actually checking the time continuously to see when it hit the number nine.

”Aish… you’re not allowed to drink this…” Hanbin muttered as he mixed up the liquids. He was elbows deep in the punch bowl.

”You don’t get to tell me what I can or can’t do.”

Hanbin shoot his eyes up at me. Usually he was on a good mood - he was all bubbly and a complete dork most of the time - but when someone happened to defy his authority, he turned into this intensely glaring . And I didn't know how to handle him.

His glare drilled holes into me. ”Don’t get cocky with me.” That voice made me at the same time extremely annoyed and slightly frightened. 

”There’s nothing else to drink!” I pointed out, raising my voice to his level.

”Bobby can bring you something”, Hanbin settled the quarrel and turned back to his dorky self. He mixed the punch with a stupid grin on his excited face. I sighed and snatched his phone from the kitchen counter.

”What’s your password?” I leaned on the counter while caressing the phone screen with my thumb to wipe off the grease.

Hanbin chuckled, leaving my question unanswered. ”Use your own.”

”It’s too far”, I whined and shoved the phone at Hanbin’s face. ”Just type it then.”

My brother groaned but eventually typed the code to his phone to unlock it. I let out a quiet thank you, as I scrolled through his contacts.

”Tell him to bring something to eat too - chicken please”, Hanbin added and lifted the punch into the fridge to chill. He had managed to get his sleeves soaked, so he pulled off his sweater and placed it on a back of a chair.

”Eat the leftovers from fridge”, I suggested him.

Hanbin’s face spoke for him. He wasn't a leftover-fan.

I rolled my eyes as someone answered the phone in the other end of the line. ”Hey, Bobby!”

”Minseo?” Bobby spoke in his pleasant husky tenor. ”Is Bin too drunk to hold the phone?”

”YAH, GET OVER HERE YA BRAT”, Hanbin yelled next to me, when he heard Bobby’s voice from the phone. I listened as the boy let out a low chuckle; I’d grown to actually really like his voice.

”I’m at the market, getting some drinks and I’ll be right there”, said Bobby, and I couldn't help but to admire the way he spoke. Hanbin flashed me a sideways-glare and smiled to himself. He was my brother, there was no way I could've hid the fact that I had a crush on his best friend. Hanbin was nice in that way, he had never revealed my secret.

”Could you possibly bring me something to drink?” I chirped while cleaning up the mess Hanbin had made on the counter. The tacky liquid stuck on my fingers.

”But you don’t-”

”I’m not underage anymore!” I said before he could say anything. I heard Bobby let out a little ”aha” as he proceeded with his groceries.

”Oh yeah! Hanbin lets you drink now? Finally.”

I smirked slightly at his comment. Finally? Then I glanced around to make sure that Hanbin wasn't there to witness my little victory dance. ”Yeah, can you imagine?”

”I still feel like you’re this tiny little girl though”, he said, breaking my heart. I stopped wiggling my hips.

”But I’m not, so could you? Hanbin wants chicken”, I said, sulking over his patronizing words. That little ”finally” had really sparked something in me. Bobby had always been the one to keep me company when Hanbin was too drunk or out of his head or just busy with something else, so I had - of course - developed this issue with him.

”He wants chicken”, Bobby repeated, and I could picture him looking at the ceiling as he took in a deep breath. ”I’m not his butler.”

I wanted to keep my distance, but eventually a giggle escaped my lips. ”Tell that to my brother.”

”You think I haven’t?”

”Try harder.”

”Easier said than done”, chuckled Bobby. The harsh sound caressed my ear canal and I rose to stand on my tiptoes. It wasn’t fair that someone’s voice could do such things to a person.

”Alright I’ll get something for you and chicken for the babo”, Bobby sighed. ”Is there anything else I could do for his majesty?”

I lifted the phone from my ear and pressed it against my chest to mute it. ”Hanbin! Bobby asks if you need anything else?”

”TELL HIM TO BRING ME FRESH WHITE SOCKS!”

I knit my brows together, but raised the phone back to my ear. ”Did you get that?”

”Yeah white socks?” Bobby checked.

”Yeah.”

”AND COULD HE BORROW ME THAT PINK HOODIE OF HIS-” Hanbin’s demanding voice boomed from the bathroom. ”THE ONE THAT SAYS BELIEVE ON IT!”

”Di-”

”Roger that”, Bobby confirmed in the other end of the line. ”I better hang up before he wants me to bring my whole wardrobe.”

”Right”, I chuckled. ”See ya tonight then.”

”Later”, said Bobby and the call ended with the familiar two tunes.

     ----

It was close to eleven and I still hadn't gotten my drinks from Bobby. Even Chanwoo had arrived on time, and he was all jolly having a good time in the living room with Hanbin. The kitchen was starting to look like a bar counter, as well as the dining room. Hanbin’s friends Jinhwan and Junhoe had arrived too, at a reasonable time, as well as some of their other friends. Chanwoo cranked himself up from the living room couch and headed toward me with a cup of punch in his other hand. The other hand grabbed my shoulder and shook it.

”What’s wrong.”

It didn't sound like a question, so I looked past him and zoomed into the room of people.

”Shouldn’t you be excited?” Chan tried again. His half lidded brown eyes locked into mine and I raised my brows.

”Shouldn’t you be hitting on the ladies?” I nodded my chin toward the two girls giggling on the couch. Chanwoo’s head turned slowly to look at who I was referring to.

”I tried to, but they’re not after me.” And as soon as he said that, one of the girls snuggled closer to Junhoe. I rolled my eyes.

”They’re shallow then. They just like him because he’s more good-looking.”

”Wow, that stings”, Chanwoo said lightly, but I could hear that he actually got a little hurt. ”Not everyone likes guys like him.”

”No, you’re absolutely right”, I nodded furiously. ”I don’t.”

”But you just admitted that he’s good-looking.”

”Yeah, you can say that without actually liking them”, I explained.

Chanwoo looked like he was contemplating something existential. He furrowed his brows and his eyes narrowed. ”That’s a concept.”

”What do you mean?”

”Well, would you say no if he asked you on a date?”

”Who’s asking you on a date?” A hoarse voice disrupted us from the kitchen. Both Chanwoo and I turned around to see Bobby lifting cans out of a plastic bag to put them in the fridge.

”Junhoe”, Chanwoo said, clearly happy about the misconception he was about to make.

Bobby looked at Chanwoo with lifted brows. ”Is that so?”

”No”, I stepped in and started unpacking the plastic bag with Bobby. ”Chan’s drunk.”

”Are you?” Bobby asked, flashing me a curious smile. I immediately forgot that I was supposed to be upset about him being so late.

”No. You were supposed to bring me something to drink.”

”And what makes you think I didn’t?” Bobby asked, holding a fresh OB lager in his hand. ”I’m sorry I’m late, I had to take care of some stuff for my mom.”

I just shook my head, feeling bad about even thinking of getting upset. ”No it’s fine. Hanbin might be a little frustrated though.”

”Yeah I prepared myself for that”, Bobby said and pulled out more beer cans from the bag. ”I’ll be right back.”

Then he walked into the living room and crashed on the couch next to Hanbin and the other girl, who wasn’t trying to sneak her hands under Junhoe’s shirt.

I watched them, as Bobby handed Hanbin a can and started chatting away with the crowd. Once again, I felt so distant to them. I just couldn't grab the laws of communication with a bunch of people. I didn't feel the need to step into the spotlight. Chanwoo dragged himself across the counter and leaned against my arm, sipping his punch. 

”What about him?” He asked, raising his mug in the air.

I frowned and shook my head. ”What are you on about?”

Chanwoo made a drunken version of the famous are-you-kidding-me-right-now-face. ”Bobby. Is he good-looking too?”

I could feel a familiar heat rising on my cheeks. I grabbed Chanwoo’s drink and chucked it down. ”Sure.”

”But you don’t like him?”

I took a look in the living room. Bobby was chatting with one of the girls now. The other one had vanished from the room. As well as Junhoe. ”Nope.”

   ---

”You weren’t supposed to drink it!”

I stared at my brother who looked like he was about to whack me all over my ears. I even lifted my hands to protect my head from his attack.

”I’m over eight-”

”I don’t care, that’s too strong for you”, Hanbin protested and knelt down on the floor next to me. After Chanwoo left the kitchen, I had decided to take the wheel and step on it for the evening. No one had missed the punch bowl, after I snatched it and settled down with it.

”It is not”, I mumbled, swallowing a burp. ”Was not.”

”, Minseo…” Hanbin took the empty bowl and looked around to see if I had made any mess. The master bedroom looked surprisingly majestic from the floor. The ceiling looked like it was light years away. And it looked like it was moving a little.

”Right… stay here I’ll get you a bucket.”

”Bucket of beer I hope”, I muttered silently, earning a chuckle from my big brother. He looked down at me with a grin.

”Wow. A whole new side of Minseo. This is exciting”, he said amusedly. ”I wonder what mom will say.”

I raised my brows and smiled. Wide. ”You little .”

Hanbin chuckled again and turned to leave. ”Should I close the door?”

”Leave it open.” I layed back again and continued searching for the stars. All I could hear was loud music and a thick layer of chatter. My vision was a bit darker than it was in the beginning of the night, but it was actually better this way. I quite liked the dim lighting, it made everything slightly exciting. Like the shadow in the corner of the room actually looked like a tall man in his thirties. It looked like he had a nice mustache.

I blinked, staring into the darkness, as someone stumbled inside the room.

”Occupied”, I muttered to the stranger.

”Mind if I join?”

”Bobby?” I tried to sit up but everything started spinning vigorously. I fell down right after trying to get up. My head felt like it weighed a ton.

The darkness spread from the corner of the room, towards the door and sneaked out. I blinked again. Bobby collapsed on the floor next to me, leaning his head against the edge of the bed. ”I drank too much”, his rough voice echoed in my ears, making my head throb along with my heart.

My chest trembled, I was laughing.

”Where did you go, I was looking for you?” He continued, when I failed to speak up.

”I stole the punch”, I chuckled. Another hiccup escaped my mouth.

I couldn’t see well, but I could swear Bobby had a wide smile on his face. I could hear it in the way he talked. ”That’s the spirit.”

”I drank it all.”

”Way to lose your drinking ity”, Bobby said.

We stayed quiet for a while. Someone had shut the door.

”Why were you looking for me?” I asked, closing my eyes just to open them again. I was desperate to see his handsome face.

”What do you think?” He asked. I felt his body sliding on the floor next to mine. We both just lied there, extremely intoxicated. I was beyond aware that his body was touching mine and we were in a dark room, just the two of us. I didn’t want to leave. And I doubted he did either.

”I think you still think I’m a tiny little girl”, I said without thinking. I no longer had any control over what I let out of my mouth. ”You think I’m Hanbin’s little sister.”

I felt Bobby shifting next to me. He turned on his side and suddenly I could see his face, hovering above mine. Finally I could spot the stars. They glistened in his eyes, and suddenly it wasn't so dim anymore. I would have raised my hands to touch his face to make it all real, to concretize this moment, but my arms were held down by gravity.

A single breath fanned my face, as he finally spoke. ”You’re so much more than that.”

Then as if the sun had fallen down from the sky and crashed down next to us, the door opened again and the light and the chatter attacked us.

”What the hell?”

I recognized my brother’s voice. And he didn't sound happy.

”What are you doing! She’s drunk!” 

Bobby’s body disappeared from next to me. I saw two figures standing up and leaning into each other. They looked like they were having an argue.

”I didn’t do anything, we were just talking-”

”That didn’t look like talking to me!” Hanbin opposed, pushing Bobby away from him. Hanbin knelt down again, lifting me up so that I was sitting. The room turned around and the walls suddenly pushed against my body like I was wearing a corset.

”I’m gonna be sick”, I mumbled.

Hanbin reached for the bucket he had brought and placed it in front of me. ”It’s alright there’s a bucket.”

”Honestly Bin, I was-”

”Forget it”, Hanbin spoke quickly.

I threw up in the bucket.

”Don’t be like this”, Bobby tried one more time. I closed my eyes and held onto whoever was holding the bucket. I recognized the scent of liquor - I gagged again.

”Like what? She’s my sister for ’s sake! It’s enough that she’s seeing double, let alone some guy is trying to-”

I pushed Hanbin away from me when I finally grasped the edge of reality.

His hands found me again. ”Stop! Let me help y-”

”NO”, I yelled and got on my feet. The whole house flashed before my eyes as I ran to the bathroom and locked the door behind me. Then I collapsed into the tub and pulled the shower curtain so that it was blocking my view to the door.

I rocked myself to sleep.


A/N: Hey there! If you like the story, please leave a comment so I'll know your thoughts about it :) I'm trying this new style of writing and it would mean the world to see some feedback!

tumblr_nf8getmfUV1t6y4ido2_500.gif