Final

It's been a long day

Taeyong stretched lazily as he eyed the clock, ticking impatiently next to him. It had been over an hour since he’d been sprawled on Jaehyun’s bed. He fumbled carelessly with his loosely-fitted tank top, willing the younger to return from a late night radio broadcast recording. It had been days since he last saw Jaehyun, given their respective schedules - his past week had been lined with disappointments, first from a sabotaged lunch date with the younger due to yet another interview, then a spontaneous dance practice. Taeyong yawned yet again. It wouldn’t be long before he gave in to the night’s descent. 

 

Jaehyun carefully edged into his room, eyes barely open as he prepared to flop onto his bed. It had been a long day, ending with the most merciless of recordings with some lesser known girl group he had pretended to know everything about. He chuckled to himself, stripping off his shirt and into a loose top. Jaehyun fumbled around the room - he had not bothered to turn on the lights and relied on his own intuition to navigate his exhausted self onto his duvet. Easing the covers, he felt something, or more like… someone. Flipping on his night light, he broke into a huge grin. 

 

‘Hey,’ Taeyong looked up groggily, shifting from under the duvet. Jaehyun couldn’t help but laugh at the sight of the older boy looking so comfortable in a bed that was not even his own. But who could blame him? Given all the excessive nights the pair had spent together (not to mention a fed-up Johnny who constantly groaned about having to avoid their incessant cuddles), Taeyong probably spent more time in Jaehyun’s bed than himself’s. 

‘Hey,’ Jaehyun answered and ruffled the older’s tousled hair. 

‘I bet you haven’t had dinner. Come on, I’ll whip up some ramen,’ Taeyong offered, stirring from under the covers.

‘Shh, I already ate, just go back to sleep,’ Jaehyun cooed. Seeing Taeyong’s unrelenting pout, Jaehyun clambered into bed next to him, ‘Now are you still going to walk out?’ Taeyong sighed, he would never be able to beat the younger at his cheeky mind games. 

 

The two lay side by side on the small bed, elbows barely touching, enveloped in a comfortable silence. 

‘How was your day, Tae?’ Jaehyun asked, and was met by a soft sigh that resounded gently in the room. ‘Goooood,’ the older boy answered, evidently drifting into a deep slumber once again, ‘and yours?’ Before Jaehyun could answer, the night was filled with soft snores and inaudible murmurs.

Jaehyun his side, head rested on his elbow, as he eyed the boy sleeping soundly next to him. It had been years since the pair had met, as immature teenagers at first, dancing the days away to their heart’s content. Then they had debuted together, rode through all the rumours, disappointments, award shows and even the occasional trip abroad. And yet, Jaehyun sighed, and yet, he was still not used to how ethereal the older looked. The angled face, adorned by his fragile features, Jaehyun mused, his fingers tracing the side of Taeyong’s cheeks. Drifting out of his trance, Jaehyun spotted his alarm clock that the older boy was hugging and was struck by a pang of guilt. 

The clock indicated that it had already been 2 hours into the following day. 1st July. Jaehyun planted a soft kiss onto Taeyong’s forehead. ’Happy birthday hyung,’ he whispered.


A/N: This is my first one-shot but I kind of have ideas to expand this haha or maybe incorporate this as part of a chapter in my other fic, Lifeline (do check it out if you haven't already)! To be honest, this seemed more like an 'Imagines' than a one-shot, given how incredulously short it is... Sorry!! x