Finish

The Moment We Wanted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-One of the important things in life is how one’s life would end-

 

 

The sounds of kicks and punches reverberated. The chairs and tables on the center were scattered because of the ruckus that the five boys in high school uniforms, one of them crouching on the floor, made. Murmurs and snickers of the people on the side softly audible.

 

The students only stood and watched, others sometimes recorded the event. The workers in the cafeteria shook their heads in displeasure but that was that. None of them moved. They realized they can do nothing. Even though one or two teachers happened to pass by, they only shut their mouths into thin lines.

 

It’s cruel. However, none of the teachers, students, and workers were at fault. This school was the one at fault. Those people at the administration that made this ed up school system was at fault.

 

The four students stopped kicking the boy after a while. Their breaths was harsh and unbalanced. Before leaving, one of them who seemed like the leader spitted on the boy.

 

Although the boy on the floor has been left behind alone, no one dared to approach him. They only looked at the boy with pity and hoped to no one in particular that someone will help the boy. No one did.

 

The boy tried to stand slowly while clutching his stomach. Every part of his body screamed in agony. Deep inside, his heart told him to just lie down and not move again. He’s so tired, but he can’t stay. Not with those stares.

 

Slowly, he took painful steps, one by one, and walked out from that place.

 

 

-***-

 

 

With heart thumping quickly inside her ribcage, she fastened her pace, almost running. Once in a while, she would be looking back, only to continue her pace again.

 

She spotted an alley and quickly hid her body to that way. Her sweat beaded back felt cold against the wall. Nonetheless, it was a nice and soothing feeling.

 

Not long after, sounds of shuffling feet and yells can be heard not far from her where she was hiding. She closed her eyes, hoping not to be found. As she waited for the time to pass, she felt a droplet of water on her right cheek. She almost yelped in surprise. She opened her eyes and found the unforgiving grey sky above her.

 

Rain started to pour down real hard. The smell of asphalt tickled her nose. In seconds, her clothes was drenched but she didn’t move.

 

She kept her hearing sense sharp for any signs of pursuit. The gears inside her mind reeled, working for a way to escape from them, from the reality that was about to suffocate her.

 

She took a peek at the road and smiled in relief. Her pursuers were gone.

 

Grabbing the opportunity, she hastily ran away from her hiding spot to somewhere that she wasn’t sure if safe or not.

 

 

-***-

 

 

“What are you doing?”

 

The question made him halt. He lifted his head and saw a furious girl on the door.

 

He got caught red-handed but he did not seem to care. He continued. A flame blazed to life as he lit the cigarette on his mouth. He took a breath of the poisonous smoke to his lung.

 

But before he could inhale another one, the cancer stick was suddenly snatched away from him and thrown to the floor. The girl stomped upon the cigarette, her face filled with fury. He winced, watching his little cigarette die.

 

“Yah!”

 

“I told you to stop it!” She fumed.

 

Silence loomed over the both of them as their eyes locked. The air became static as they glared at each other

 

“It’s none of your business.” The boy was the first one to back down as he looked to the side blankly.

 

“It is my business!” She screamed again. But not in anger, it was in frustration.

 

She inhaled a deep breath and closed her eyes. After she calmed down, she opened her eyes and that was when she noticed that something was wrong with the boy’s face.

 

A mix of emotions swelled inside her. The sight of the new bruises on the boy’s face was enough to make her feel angry again.

 

“Oppa, your face.” She reached out towards the bruise on his left cheek.

 

He flinched a bit at the chill he felt when her finger touched his skin. It felt good against his bruised cheek. He closed his eyes, savoring the feeling.

 

But it did not last long. The comforting coldness left his cheek and he was disappointed. He wanted to reach for her hand but the girl had already walked away.

 

When he thought she was gone, she came back with a first-aid kit. She took a chair beside him and treated his wounds like a pro.

 

He winced as she dabbed his wounds using a cotton with antiseptic. He stayed silent as he watched the girl’s furrowed brows and focused eyes. He frowned when he noticed water dripping from her hair. Her clothes were also soaking wet.

 

After she finished the treatment, the boy stood up and walked towards the bathroom. The girl followed the boy with her gaze, wondering about what he will do.

 

Emerging from the bathroom door, he walked towards the girl again. He spread the towel over her hair and gave her warm, dry clothes.

 

“Go get changed. You’ll catch a cold.” He patted her head. A tiny smile played on his lips for a second but it immediately faded. He walked towards the bedroom, leaving her alone.

 

She held the towel he placed on her head. The gaze that the boy gave her made her heart flutter. She smiled before walking towards bathroom.

 

-***-

 

The puddles on the streets rippled as wind blew. People that took shelter under building started walking under the cloudy sky and aimed to their destination. The honking of cars could be heard as they passed the high-way street.

 

A young girl stepped on a puddle, sprinkling it apart, in haste. She glanced to her right and left. Lowering her hat, she walked faster.

 

Making a turn in a secluded alley, she walked towards the worn out building. She knocked once and twice with silent interval, and the door opened to the code.

 

“Where’s the thing?” A deep voice grunted behind the door. The owner of the voice didn’t show his face and kept hidden behind the dark room.

 

“Here.” She patted her jacket’s pocket.

 

“The money?” She said while looking around, afraid that she’s being followed.

 

“Here.” A thick envelope was handed to her. She opened the seal and glanced inside to see the contents briefly.

 

“Here’s yours.” She took out a fist-sized envelope to the gap of the door.

 

After whoever it is took the thing on her hand, she lowered her head and began walking away.

 

-***-

 

“Thank you for coming.” He bowed down to the costumer who walked away without sparing a glance back.

 

He stared around and saw that no customer was left. It’s way past midnight. Of course, it will be a bit empty.

 

Feeling alone and a bit eerie with it, he grabbed the remote on the counter beside to turn on the TV. His finger kept pressing the button to change channel, with no particular program in mind. He just needed something to distract his mind from the silence.

 

As he was about to change the channel again, somehow his gut told him to watch the breaking news that was currently airing.

 

He read the headline in a ghostly whisper.

 

Right at that moment, the door of the convenience store was pushed open. The alarm that was set up to ring as someone walked into the store rang.

 

“Welcome, how can I help you?” He politely bowed his head down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter