let's go search for aliens

let's go search for aliens

She wasn't expecting anything particularly astronomical to happen. No, nothing quite peculiar at all. It's just that she was excited, she thought that tonight she’d search for them again—the aliens. After all, the sky was pretty clear so she figured she might be able to spot their little spaceship circling around the stars. It would be nice if she could meet them too and even better if she could greet them, it was something she always wanted to do. She even contemplated on what she would say to them, she had prepared for everything: greetings and salutations and all.

Though, halfway through her train of thoughts, it occurred to her that they may not understand her because, well, they're aliens. Regardless, Yuju would try her best just as she always had. She thought that maybe if she switched words around or spoke with big hand motions, they'd be able to understand her more or less.

“Welcome you Earth to, day nice is,” she muttered to herself as she watched the clouds float away.

Out her hand went, reaching towards the sky and waving to aliens in oddly large motions. She smiled to herself, it was a goofy kind of smile where her eyes were filled with curiosity and hope. The wind brushed against Yuju’s back and she stared into the distant horizon. She shivered and couldn't help but feel some sort of rush, some type of anticipation running through her veins. There was this excitement for adventure that she absolutely marveled, an opening to a world full of the unknown. She wouldn't mind getting lost there, in that world.

“What are you doing out here,” a soft voice suddenly intruded, “it's dark.”

“I felt like watching the stars tonight,” Yuju replied as she turned around to face the girl, “I want to see the moon.”

The shorter girl pouts she shakes her head as if she knows that something is wrong. She looks at straight into her eyes and raises an eyebrow.

“You never stay this long on the balcony though,” she told her, “not unless, there's something bothering you.”

Yuju laughed and brought the tinier girl into an embrace, lower her posture and resting her chin on the other girl’s shoulder. It confused her, she doesn’t quite understand why Yuju suddenly hugged her. She doesn't need to though, instead, she hugged her back and snuggled even closer to her.

“Eunha,” Yuju murmured into her shoulder, “you really do know me too well.”

“Hmph, of course I do,” she whined, “I'm your girlfriend.”

She stepped out of their embrace and pouted like an upset child. Yuju giggled and ruffled her hair with a wide grin on her face.

“I'm sorry for ever doubting you,” Yuju apologized.

“Kiss me and I'll think about forgiving you,” her lover smirked at her and dared.

The red hair girl leaned over her face and pressed her lips onto her forehead.

“Here?” she asked.

“No, not there.”

She went a bit lower and pecked her nose.

“What about now?”

Eunha shook her head and became flustered, she blushed. Yuju eyes softened at the sight and finally pressed her lips against hers. She closed her eyes and let them part slightly, gently colliding with her pair of soft lips before pulling away.

“I love you.”

The smaller girl hums and smiles at her, who wouldn’t be happy with a girlfriend as sweet as Yuju? She leaned herself against her girlfriend’s shoulder and let whatever Yuju was keeping from her slide. In time, Eunha knows that she’ll tell her when she’s ready—she always does… right?

“I love you too.”

They stood there for a while, leaned against each other, and gazed at the stars. The air was thick and warm, it stuck to their skin. But, it also made them all the more aware that summer was finally coming. The rustling leaves, the scent of blossoming flowers, and even the occasional cars they heard in the midst of the night became all the more evident.

It was beautiful.

Sometimes, Eunha would sneak a glance at Yuju and she would be fascinated. There was this childish sort of gleam in her eyes, they were full of curiosity and wonder. Under the moonlight, she looked like she was going to fly into the sky in any second. Eunha understood why she felt like that and she especially loved it. It was the dreams and absolute determination Yuju had to achieve them that Eunha adored. Her heart was so beautiful.

She was so beautiful.

Yet, she seemed so very far.

“Eunha,” she murmured under her breath, “come with me.”

She looked at her girlfriend with mirthful glee before she laced their fingers together and dragged Eunha away from the balcony, through living room, and out of the dorm. Hand in hand, they ran down the steps, stumbling and grabbing onto the railing every now and then. And when the reached the first floor, they were hunched over, gasping for air.

“Babe, I love you,” Eunha panted, “but why?”

Yuju pointed above at a green light flashing above them, “aliens.”

The shorter girl let out sigh and asked, “is that what was bothering you earlier.”

Yuju nodded as her eyes continued to follow the green light flashing about in the sky. She looked so ready to disappear to wherever it would take her and leave. There was that same look in her eyes, that look of wonder and determination. Eunha still felt the preciousness of it, but she also felt kind of sad this time. Deep in her heart, she had this feeling of sorrow and fear that she knew wasn’t fair to Yuju. She tightens her grip on Yuju’s hand, she doesn’t want to lose her.

“I'm scared,” Eunha mutters under her breath in a voice barely audible, “don't leave me.”

“Hmm?” Yuju looked at her, confused.

“It’s nothing.”

Without a warning, the taller girl lets go of her hand and runs out into the open, towards the flashing light. Yuju shaped her hands into binoculars and pressed them against her face; she peered through them and tried to get a better look at the green oddity drifting along the night sky. The moonlight shone on her face as she lost herself in the vastness of the universe. Eunha stared at her from afar and wanted to call out and tell her to come back. As if something out there heard her, the green light intensified and looked like it would spirit Yuju away.

“Yuju!” Eunha called out and ran towards her.

The other girl turned back and smiled.

“Shhh,” she hushed at Eunha and pointed to the device that emitted green light and the two figures a bit far into the distance, “they’re practicing drone-flying.”

Eunha squinted and saw two figures, the tall one had purple tipped hair and the other had pinkish blonde hair. Their faces were a bit too close together, it looked like they were close to kissing.

“That's nice of them,” Eunha decided after she remembered that those two had crashed a drone on broadcast before.

“I doubt that they're actually practicing because of that broadcast,” her girlfriend suggested.

“Then what are they doing this for?”

“They’re a bit too close together, don’t you think?” Yuju teased, “And it's a beautiful night.”

“They should just go on regular dates,” Eunha frowned, “they’re going to crash it if they're not carefully.”

“Yeah, you’d think Sowon would know better,” she agreed as her eyes gravitated towards a new flashing light in the sky.

And there are those eyes again, glazed over and glued to the sky. The red light flickers in her eyes as she chases aimlessly after it. Yuju runs further and further down the streets and Eunha is barely able to keep up with her. Her lungs feel like they're on fire at this point, but still, she runs. She won't let her legs give in because if it's for Yuju, she'd run a marathon even if she doesn't like getting out of bed some days. A hue of red suddenly coats the scene and they are stopped at an intersection. A few cars pass by and headlights painting her vision white every so often. But even then, when Eunha looked up at her, her eyes seemed to be lost in the stars.

“When you look at the sky like that,” Eunha whispered, “sometimes it feels like you're going to leave me.”

Her girlfriend turned to look at her and sees a hint of sadness in Eunha’s eyes. She then gently takes her hands and interlaces it with hers.

Yuju uttered, “now why would I ever leave my whole entire galaxy?”

“I don't know,” she confessed.

The floating red light flashes above them and the traffic light turns green. Eunha tenses for a second, she's afraid Yuju will let go of her again and leave her behind for the aliens. But, the taller girl didn’t seem to care about that anymore, she cupped the short haired girl’s cheeks and kissed her softly. When she breaks away, their faces are still close together and Yuju has that look again. Except, this time, Eunha doesn't know what she's lost in. There’s no aliens, stars, or moon to see; it was just her face. It was the same face she always had since birth. So she couldn't figure out what the red haired girl was so caught up in. In short, Eunha was lost in thought and Yuju was lost in her.

“I'll always choose you,” the taller girl suddenly said, “over anything.”

“I know,” Eunha told her, “I can't help it though, this feeling.”

The expression on the taller girl’s face changes, her eyes soften and there’s this feeling of passion and care in them. What's funny was that it didn't look all too different from that look from before. And that made the short haired girl feel uneasy at first, but then she had a revelation. She realized what she was really afraid of.

“I'll stop if you want me to,” Yuju offered.

“No,” Eunha shook her head.

That innocent curiosity and hopeful wonder, it was so goddamned beautiful. Eunha would hate to see Yuju lose that; she would hate to see Yuju lose any part of herself. She was afraid of losing any part of Yuju because she lover every bit of her. So Eunha smiled and pointed to the flashing red light high up in the night sky.

“Let's go search for aliens.”