Chapter 1: Introduction

I Promise You

Jisung and Soa have been friends since childhood. They met each other in their first days at kindergarden, becoming friends instantly. Even if he was little and he didn't knew much, Jisung always wanted to take care of Soa and protect her from the bigger kids who were bullying her. Soa grew up only with her mother, knowing nothing about her father except that he left them when Soa was still in her mother's belly, assuming her father did not want her. That's why some mean kids decided to mess up with her, because they knew Soa was alone and they made fun of her because she didn't have a father. But Soa wasn't alone. Jisung was there for her, always having her back when those kids messed with her. Because she didn't wanted her mother to find out, Jisung was the only one who knew about this. He cared a lot about Soa.

Growing up, Soa was left orphan, her mother killing herself. She was eight at that time and it was difficult for her to understand why her mother, the person she loved the most, along with Jisung, decided to leave. The person who gave her birth and always gave her unconditional love. Why did she leave her alone? She always wondered, did her mother secretly hated her? She didn't loved her anymore? She didn't wanted her anymore? Than why would she kill herself and not Soa, if she was a burden in her life? Something else must have bothered her mother that Soa didn't knew about. Not even the police could tell what the causes of her sudden suicide could be. She cried a lot that day, when she found her mother lying unconcious on the bathroom floor, blood coming out of her stomach. She was yelling at her to wake up, but in vain. Her mother was long gone. She didn't expect to see Jisung at her mother's funeral. 'How could I leave you alone in such moments?' was what Jisung said and hugged her. Soa didn't knew for how long they kept hugging each other. She didn't cared, she cried and let everything out on his shoulder, enjoying his warm body on her cold body. She suddenly felt warmer, her heart felt a bit warmer, feeling his embrace. But nothing could replace the pain that she felt knowing that her mother is no longer next to her. And only after she stopped crying and they stopped hugging, she realised how miserable her life is. But she had Jisung, at least that's what she thought.

After her mother's death, Soa could call herself somehow lucky for being taken in to the custody of her aunt. Although she never met her before, because from what Soa understood, her aunt was living in America by that time, she was happy to have an adult by her side. Apparently, her aunt did not resemble her mother's features that much, but she had a warm and kind heart, just like her mother. She could definetly feel her mother through her and she was happy. Until she heard that she will have to go to America with her. Her aunt had work there and she definetly couldn't stay in Korea for nothing at all, even if she knew it will hurt her little niece. Soa definetly didn't wanted to leave for one reason. Jisung. She didn't wanted to leave him. Not after their promise.

"Jisung I promise I will never leave your side."
"You promise?"
"Yes. I do. Not after what you did for me all this time. You've always protected me and you've been by my side so I want to do that as well. I wanna stay by your side forever."
"Thank you."
"No, I thank you. For existing in my life."

Soa felt like crying. She did not wanted to betray her promise one second. She did not wanted to leave. She wanted to stay here. In Korea. With Jisung. Unfortunately, much to her pleads and begging, she had no other option than to leave with her aunt. Her aunt was heartbroken as well, but she promised Soa to come back when she'll be older.

Soa was too broken to see Jisung. She didn't have the courage to tell him face to face that she'll be leaving. She didn't wanted to see her cry no more. She didn't wanted to see him cry neither. Everything was too painful for her. Her life was too painful for her. So instead he wrote a letter for him. Not a goodbye later, but a farewell letter. She gave it to his mother with no words spoken and left.

When Jisung arrived from school that afternoon, he was greeted by his mother who handed him the letter. Jisung hasn't seen Soa in a few days now. She didn't even come to school, so he was worried that something might've happened to her. Neverthless, he was happy that Soa decided to send him a letter. He wished he would've seen her instead, but he still got something from her. He opened the letter and started reading.
       

      Dear Jisung,
First of all, I want to say how much I love you and treasure you. You are the most important person in my life now and always will be. I will forever be grateful for your kindness and love. Without you, those kids would have bully me forever. Seriously, I am so thankful for meeting you. For your existence in my life. This is why, it hurts me to say this. I have to leave. My aunt is taking me to America because that's where she lives and works. I tried convincing her to stay here somehow, but I have no other option than leave. It hurts me a lot, knowing that I'm breaking my own promise. I promised you I'll forever be by your side, yet here I am breaking that promise. I don't want to do this, sincerely, but I can't stay. Please forgive me for being a coward. For not being able to tell you this in person, but I knew it will only be more painful than it already is. I didn't wanted you to see me cry again, nor I wanted to see you crying. I know I'm only making the situation worst. You wouldn't have accepted that I have to leave. You wouldn't have let me go. And neither would I. That's why I decided to write you a letter instead. Forgive me for betraying your trust. Forgive me for betraying my promise. If you can't forgive me, I will understand. Please don't suffer too much for me. Please don't forget me. This is not a goodbye. This is a farewell. My aunt promised me when I'll grow up, I will return back to Korea. I will be back. I will be back for you. Time flies past. You'll see I'll be back in no time. In the meantime, please take care of yourself and your family. I want to see you happy and healthy when I'll be back. And don't forget I love you. I won't stop thinking about you one second.  I will always love you. See you soon, my dear Jisungie.
                                                                                                                                                                                        Your forever best friend, Kim Soa.

Jisung can only remember uncontrollably sobbing and crying, his tears falling on the letter. He can only embrace it to his chest, close to his heart as his parents comfort him. He did not wanted to accept the cruel and unfair reality. But he had to accept. Soa left. Soa left him. He understood that she did not wanted to, but she still left. Jisung felt empty. He felt alone, even in his parents embrace. He wanted Soa's embrace. It's her that she wanted.

Later that night, Jisung couldn't sleep. He could only stare at his window, at the starts lighting up the sky in a night that felt so cold and empty to Jisung. Suddenly, his entire body felt like that. He looked up in the sky, a tear escaping his eye. 

"I hope you're doing well. I'll see you soon, Soa."