Final.

Chilly Nights, Warm Hearts

Related imageRelated image

 

Leaving her office late as usual, she stops by an elegant looking cafe with several customers inside to fill her hunger. Working in the broadcasting industry, the girl with flowy ash lavender hair often works way past the average dinner time. She knows it won't be good for her health if she continues the bad habit but she just needs to hang in there for a while until her team hires another staff to ease their heavy workload.

 

"Yes Miss, may I help you with anything?"

"One fried chicken waffle please." She answers as she looks around the cafe filled with friendly chatters of strangers and some R&B songs from the speakers, only to decide that she'll just sit at the outdoor area since the sky seems to be bright with the glowing full moon that night. There were no smokers too, so it's an additional point for her. 

"Is that all?"

"Yes, thank you." 

"We'll deliver your order later so you may take a seat first. Thank you." The shorter girl replies with a cheerful smile and walks over to the kitchen to get the order done. She stretches her body and hits her shoulders lightly, which didn't go unnoticed by her boss.

"Yeri-ah, tired? You can rest for a while since it's been a hectic day today. I'll do it." The girl with golden brown locks smiled at her staff assuringly as she takes the loaf of bread and prepares the order. She chuckles as she hears her young part-timer squeals and thanked her softly before the part-timer slumps on a chair behind the counter.

"No drinks? Only a waffle right?" She asks with curiousity as most customers prefer their drinks due to their well roasted coffee beans. Receiving a nod from the sitted girl, she takes the plate of waffle and a glass of water to deliver them to the customer.

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

"Wow, you're so pretty." Slightly startled by the voice, she looks up at the brown hair girl who was wearing a black chiffon dress, placing the plate in front of her. 

"I'm so sorry. Did I startle you? Here's your chicken waffle. Do you want any drinks?" The brown hair girl answers with an embarrassed laugh and tucks both hands behind her. 

"No it's okay, thanks. I don't drink coffee." 

"Ah, no wonder. Is this your first time here? I've never seen you before." 

"Oh? Yeah!" She lets out an awkward laugh and looks down at her waffle instead to avoid the girl's clear eyes. 

"Enjoy the food then!" Seungwan returns back inside to clear the empty dishes on the tables. She finds herself stealing glances at the girl outside, mesmerized by her beauty. She likes observing people, or rather, their eyes in particular. She always thinks that the eyes of a person can tell a lot about them, that's why she always makes sure that she looks at people whenever she talks to them. She could more or less guess their personalities even after striking a short conversation with them from the look of their eyes. They are also one of the reasons she took in Yeri as a part-timer in her cafe. Yeri has large black eyes that are pretty versatile. She knows that her eyes can give off a feeling of warmth to people whenever she smiles, but when she doesn't, Yeri still manages to lure people in with her intense gazes. It wasn't too strong to come as offensive, but subtle enough for it to be fierce when she doesn't feel good about someone. Which were slightly similar to Seungwan herself. 

She thinks that the girl outside is pretty enough to be a model without the round shaped glasses she's wearing. She doesn't think it's not good though, the glasses manages to hide her dark circles under the eyes and the thin frames just improves her soft features of her face, those alluring eyes in particular. Seungwan assumes the girl was quite shy, since she was startled at her compliment and avoided her eyes by looking down. She finds herself wanting to know more about the girl. 

 

------------------------------------

 

"Seungwan unnie, I already cleared the plate outside and mopped the floor. I think she doesn't realize that we're closing soon." Yeri points at the girl sitting outside.

"It's okay. I'll take care of it, you can leave now. Goodbye, see you tomorrow!" 

"I'll leave first then. Goodbye unnie!" She waves at her boss before closing the door behind her following with a ring from the hanging bells. She passes by the girl who was so engrossed into her laptop that the girl doesn't even realize the staff leaving. 

"Hey." Seungwan muttered loud enough for the girl to be distracted, but soft enough to not startle her. She glanced at her laptop screen before looking at her eyes again. "We're going to close now. Are you still working on something?" 

"Oh?" She looks around only to find and empty cafe and frowns when she notices the time. She didn't realize it was so late already. "I'm so sorry. I'll leave now." She gives an apologetic look to her and quickly pack her belongings. 

"It's okay. I guess you must be busy." Seungwan gives her a lopsided smile and clears the glass in front of her so she could wash it inside. As she finishes clearing the sink, she hears the bell ring and switches off the lights in the cafe, before locking the doors.

 

-------------------------------

 

Seungwan walks to the signalled intersection that leads to her house as she sees a familiar back in front of her. "Oh! It's you again!" Seungwan stops beside the girl with ash lavender hair to look at her properly. She was slightly taller with Seungwan, probably due to her black high heels versus Seungwan's shorter ankle boots. 

The girl immediately turns around to look at her, a little surprised at finally finding someone who is shorter than her already small height. "Hey" she smiles back at her, glancing at the traffic lights to wait for their turn to cross.

"Heading home too? Do you stay nearby?"

"Yeah.. I live at Jowon Street 3. About 15 minutes walk from here." She answers, earning a loud gasp from the shorter girl beside with covered. She notices how the shorter girl doesn't have nail polish on, just like other females working in the food and beverage industry. 

"Me too......" Seungwan looks at her with wide eyes, slowly lowering her hand.

"Really??" This time, the taller girl sounded a little more ethusiastic than her previous replies to Seungwan. 

"I'm at Jowon Street 4 though. Still!" They removed their gazes from each other to cross the road as the green light blinks for pedestrians. 

 

--------------------------------

 

"So what's your name? I'm Seungwan." She asks, looking back and forth between the girl in a simple striped long sleeves with fitting skinny jeans and the road heading to their neighbourhood.

"I'm Joohyun." Exchanging eye contact with Seungwan, she fiddles with the handles of her bag. Joohyun isn't the type to start conversations with strangers, but she can be really talkative and crazy with her best friend, which she probably thinks will scare Seungwan away when she starts being herself.

"What do you work as? You look really busy." 

"I'm an assistant writer in the broadcasting industry. Well, we kinda have a big project going on and also we're understaffed." She answers and clears her slightly sore throat, frowning at the pain. 

"Are you okay? Did my waffle make you sick? You know you really shouldn't eat fried food when you're sick right?" 

"Yeah I'm fine. Probably just too tired. I'll drink lots of water when I get back. So what about you? Manager of the cafe or something?" 

"You can say so. I got some extra money from selling cakes online so I decided to open a small cafe instead to expand my business."  

"Must be nice doing something you love, right?"

"Why do you say so? You don't like your job?"

"I don't dislike it, but it's okay. It's just that it gets really tiring sometimes, working in this type of industry." 

Joohyun somehow opens up about the troubles she's facing recently about her job. She rarely talks about herself, but this time she felt that it was needed because she hasn't been talking much to anyone, or her friend recently.

Her bottled up frustrations need to be released before it overflows and gets ugly. She rarely joins her colleagues as they're mostly males. The females however, didn't particularly enjoy being with her too due to her shy personality that comes off as arrogant to them. They felt that she's been getting praises from her seniors just because of her looks, but it was really because she's worked her off for it. Therefore, she was usually alone during lunch breaks which she was okay with. Sometimes she gets a little uneasy whenever guys would talk to her and try to flirt with her shamelessly, she was tired of getting unwanted attention from her looks. 

Also because she hates herself for getting negative experiences with guys in her previous toxic relationships. People would automatically think that she's the one at fault for flirting with so many guys, but in reality it was her ex who had cheated on her. She figured twice was more than enough to stop accepting guys' invitations so easily. The only person who understood her is her best friend Seulgi, who's working as a back up dancer for famous celebrities so she rarely has the time to talk to Joohyun whenever there are ongoing promotions. They have known each other since they were in the same middle school, protected each other from mean school bullies, comforted each other at ugly break ups, and celebrated with one another when landing their first job offers.

Joohyun releases her grip from her bag and eventually starts ranting with her frustrated hand movements. She glances at Seungwan to check if she's weirded out or irritated by her behavior but she only receives understanding nods and warm smiles from her, so she continued her rants without even trying to filter whatever she's saying. She doesn't know why she's acting this way to another girl, being so friendly and open with someone who isn't Seulgi. I probably had too little female interactions.

Seungwan however, was glad that she's not the one who's talking this time. She's usually the mood maker in with her friends, but sometimes she needs her recharge time like now. Listening was another thing that she does best, besides being a little too friendly to girls. Listening to Joohyun speak is now added to her hobbies as she finds her voice husky and soothing, unlike her rough and loud voice. She also likes observing her eyes. There's something captivating about her eyes that just makes people want to look at her longer, or maybe forever. She must have saved the nation during her past life. Such a beauty, with pure eyes and soothing voice. How is she not a model yet, or on the front pages of magazines? 

"It's just so hard, you know?" 

"Yeah, I can tell." Seungwan replies nonchantly as she was a little distracted.

"We're here. This is my house. I have to say goodbye now. Thanks for listening to me, Seungwan. Have a good night." She says as they stopped in front of the wooden door that leads to her house. 

"Well, it's nice talking to you too. Rest well, good night, Joohyun. " She flashes a smile at Joohyun before waving goodbye at her. 

"Drop by my cafe tomorrow, and we can talk again!" Seungwan turns around as she walks to her own house, before Joohyun enters the door. 

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

Joohyun finds herself visiting the cafe everyday after work, even when she finishes her work early on some days but she decides to stay until Seungwan closes the cafe and walks home with her. On days that she doesn't have to work with her laptop, she browses for new yoga exercises that she can do before she sleeps every night to ease her aching body. Sometimes she'll catch up with Seulgi using video calls which receives looks from her best friend as she always seems to be in the same venue, just different backgrounds (from different spots of the cafe). Seulgi was glad Joohyun finally makes new friends other than her. She knows it isn't easy for Joohyun so they'll talk about her newly found friend which Seulgi can get a little too bored of talking about the same girl (Seungwan) every time. 

 

"Don't you have like, interesting guys? It's been a while since you've dated."

"No... you know me, Seulgi. I don't want to hurt myself again."

 

Joohyun shrugs it off as she didn't notice Seungwan clearing the table nearby her. It's not that Seungwan wants to eavesdrop on them, but it was loud enough for her to hear what she said. She seems a little surprised at Joohyun's answer, considering her A+ beauty but she figures that Joohyun's shyness probably turned them away. 

Weeks of having their after work conversations, they practically knew almost everything about each other. From their favourite food during winter, to the things that they would do before they die, to the friends they have that they cannot live without, to the weird habits that they developed after living alone (Joohyun likes lighting scented candles in her house), to the weapons they would pick if there was a zombie apocalypse, to the person that they would choose to stay with if they were stranded in an island (Seungwan's choice would be Lee Byung Man for sure) and various other topics that an average person would choose to avoid them with at least a radius of 5 meters with their weird answers. 

The only thing they didn't talk about was guys, which somehow neither of them will bring up as the topic of the conversation. Seungwan was glad because she was never into males anyway. She dated a guy back when she was in college and decided that he would be the first and the last guy that she'll ever be with. As much as she likes how he gives off a sense of protection being around him, it was as if she's kissing a wall that she didn't like. There was no tension or romantic feelings between them, or at least that's how she feels. She wasn't as into it as it was kissing girls. She kissed a girl and she likes it, and maybe few other girls during her wild high school period. 

She also prefers observing their feminine eyes. It's as if she could look into their souls or their emotions they want to tell. Or maybe just Joohyun's dark brown eyes in particular. She finds it attractive how her brows would crease and her eyelids will slightly droop whenever they talk about something worrying, like zombies or ghosts because she was afraid of it, so she'll jump to another topic that was lighter like yoga or even fabric softener, even though Seungwan has no interest in them. She just likes how her eyes would widen and reflects the light from their surroundings, which makes them look like they lit up. She was captivated by them, and maybe she's falling too deep into her eyes and it's getting a little too dangerous for her. As much as she would like Joohyun to swing both ways, or the way that she preferred, she doesn't want to ask about her past in case it'll trigger her bad memories, judging from the conversation she eavesdropped the other day. 

Joohyun however, didn't want to question about Seungwan's previous relationships as she felt that she would eventually tell Joohyun when she's ready for it, even though Joohyun was clearly already over her abusive relationships. She enjoys the current company with Seungwan, even though sometimes she wonders how compatible they were with each other which was quite different from her friendship with Seulgi as they bicker sometimes due to their different opinions. Seungwan somehow fits right into her moulds as she listens to Joohyun and her crazy thoughts, but was never weirded out by them instead just laughs them off. 

However, Seungwan sometimes feel a little nervous at skinship that Joohyun likes doing. It makes her tummy flip inside but shrugs it off because she doesn't want to scare Joohyun, and she also kinda likes it whenever Joohyun links her arm around her. 

"Oh? Is it raining?" She looks up at the sky which Seungwan finds it cute because it wasn't like she can see the rain in the dark atmosphere. 

"I guess so." Seungwan replies nonchantly with her palms facing the sky as she feels the droplets getting larger on her palms.

"RUN!! TO MY HOUSE!!" Joohyun grabs her hand and pulls Seungwan behind her as they ran to her house for shelter, screaming not too loud as they felt their clothes getting soaked in water because of the rain. She quickly opens the wooden door and pushes Seungwan inside as she receives a questioned look from the girl. She pulls her to get shelter in front of her door as she grabs the keys fro her bag to unlock the door. 

"What? My house is just few steps away you know." 

"Come on, it's raining heavily. Just come in and stay for a bit. You can't possibly go home in this weather. Look." Seungwan turns behind only to find herself getting smaller from the sounds of thunder roaring and rain pouring like waterfall in front of her. 

"Or you can give me an umbrella and I can walk home?"

"Seungwan." Joohyun looks at her with her creased eyebrows and fierce gaze which scared Seungwan a little. "Okay......." she trails off and enters without further questions, even though she shouldn't be because she's supposed to be someone that people would be scared of, since she owns a cafe and has 2 employees under her. But she found herself flinching from the change of Joohyun's tone and her gaze.

Joohyun locks the door behind them and grabs a set of pyjamas and a towel from her room. "Go get a shower and change into these." 

"What?" Joohyun grabs her hand and puts them on it before pushing her into the bathroom. "I don't want my floor to be all wet."

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

"Why aren't you sitting on the couch?" Joohyun questions as she walks over to the girl sitting in front of the couch with both legs hiding under the table. 

"You said to make myself at home so I did." She looks up at Joohyun who hands over a mug of hot chocolate to her. Carefully holding the mug with both of her hands to prevent it from spilling, she hears her chuckle and slides herself beside her. She inhales the smell of hot chocolate along with a hint of scented candle from a corner of the living room. 

"Seungwan."

"Hmm?" She slurps a little of the drink before placing the mug on the table to observe Joohyun's eyes that she loves looking at. 

"You know, I'm kinda curious about your love life. Have you ever had any relationships before? I'm assuming you're single right now since I've never seen your boyfriend in the cafe anyway." Seungwan feels herself drowning in the dangerous pools of her eyes as she takes a deep breath. Now or never.

"Well......." She turns away from Joohyun to look at the mug in front of her. 

"...Yes?" Joohyun asks again with a hint of curiousity, with all attention on her. 

"I've dated a guy in the past during my studies in Canada. It just wasn't working out for me, so I've had short flings but nothing too serious. Then I dated someone after him. I thought she was the one for me, but I had to move back to Korea and we both felt that we couldn't stand being in a long distance relationship. It was mutual though so it was okay. It hurted like hell back then, but it's alright now I guess." 

"She?"

"Yeah.." She feels Joohyun staring back at her but she couldn't bare to look at Joohyun in the eyes. Not this time, even though she always looks at people when they talk to each other.

"Oh.." Joohyun turns away from her and slurps her hot chocolate, before she naturally reaches Seungwan's hand and rubbed them in circles.

"I don't mind, you know. Even though I must say I'm kinda surprised." 

"Really?" Seungwan feels her cheeks burning from the confession she just made and how Joohyun is comforting her with skinship that she feels a little too overwhelming for her at the current situation, with them being seated right next to each other, shoulders touching, arms side by side. 

"Well. For me, I've dated 2 guys in the past, but I don't know why I always end up in toxic relationships. I was constantly questioned whenever I had to communicate with my male colleagues. He would say really ugly things about me whenever I had lunch with my colleagues. He also constantly checked my messages and was often paranoid at my fellow work conversations. It took a toll in my career but it was all thanks to Seulgi who woke me up from the hell I was living in and told me I had to leave him. Then the second one came and was really nice to me, I couldn't find any flaws in him until I found out he was cheating on me behind my back, and with a few girls at the same time. I was mentally broken for a period of time because of him. Ever since then, I was kinda paranoid of dating guys. I was tired of picking myself up again, time after time. I thought that there was something wrong with me, you know, to derserve these kind of guys." Seungwan feels Joohyun's voice getting softer covered by the sounds of rain pouring outside as she said the last sentence, as though she didn't want her to hear. 

Without thinking, Seungwan tucks Joohyun's hair behind her ears and pulls her chin to make her look at Seungwan. She observes how Joohyun's eyebrows creased slightly as she glances back and forth between both of her pure alluring eyes. She finds herself staring a little too long at those eyes before she mentally straightens herself and retracts her hand from her jaw.

"I think you're beautiful inside and out. Sure, you do have flaws like how you seem a little arrogant with that shy attitude of yours to strangers, but everyone has their own imperfections. Just like how I prefer girls instead of guys, or how I prefer not sitting in front of a couch instead of on it. But I really think that you're a goddess that fell from heaven with how you still manage to pick yourself up and, look at what you've become now!" Seungwan lets out an embarrassing laugh as she finishes the drink that was getting colder after their heartfelt conversation.

She gives Joohyun a lopsided smile as she was once again dangerously falling into a pit of black hole, staring into her dark brown circular orbs. 

Seungwan's body acted against her own as she leaned in closer to plant a peck on Joohyun's lips. She mentally curses at herself as she's risking the friendship that she has built between them. She wanted Joohyun to know how she feels about her, how her eyes lure her in, how her lips call her name in a soothing manner. She finds her tongue the girl's bottom lips as she couldn't control herself any longer. Her moist lips were so enticing, so soft, and it felt so right with a slight taste of chocolate. She hears the girl letting out a soft gasp and mewl at the touch of both their tongues. Joohyun placed her hand on her shoulders, not knowing how to react to the kiss.

She takes the time to explore the caves of , the curves of her tongue slowly because she wants to be gentle to her. The girl seems so fragile to begin with underneath her soft gaze and facial features. Her hand rests at the sides of Joohyun's waist as her other hand tucks her hair behind her ears and slides behind her neck to guide Joohyun slowly. She smiles and pecks her lips again before deepening the kiss as she feels Joohyun responding to her kiss as well.

Joohyun didn't dislike it, but it was a whole new feeling for her, kissing a girl that is. Or kissing Seungwan in particular. She finds herself drawn in to the kiss as she instinctively wraps her arms around her neck to deepen the kiss. It was different from her previous kisses. It was slow, soft, and gentle, as if admiring an expensive handmade craft. It drives Joohyun crazy because she couldn't resist tasting her. 

They only stopped to catch their breaths and ease their tired tongues that explored each part of their mouths. Their eyes were still fixed at each other's gazes. Seungwan is no longer worried about risking her friendship, as she knows Joohyun feels the same way. She's gotten whatever answers she's been looking for. So does Joohyun, who instead finds the reason why she's behaving in such a way that was different from her friendship with Seulgi. She thought she was acting weird with Seungwan, but after their kiss, she knew what her heart wanted. They both found their respective answers, that is falling in love with someone they could call 'soulmate'.