Final

Momo’s Secret

Dinner is going smoothly. There hasn’t been any awkwardness since they started. The atmosphere was happy, mainly Jihyo catching up with Momo, she hasn’t seen the girl since she moved when Mina was ten years old, that was a rough year for her.

“You should give her a call. I know she would love to see you again.” Momo suggest as she passes along her mom’s number to Jihyo. 

“Oh honey, wouldn’t it be nice to see Nayeon and Sana again?” Jihyo turns to her wife who seems to be having an internal conflict with herself. Jihyo can see Jeongyeon’s wheels turning in her head as she tries to get her attention. “Honey? YOO JEONGYEON!” 

Jeongyeon breaks out of her trance upon hearing her maiden name be used.

“Huh? Umm yes? We should totally do that.” She’s not sure what she agreed on, but now all eyes are on her. 

“Mom? Is everything okay?” Mina asks her with a worried look on her face as she grabs Momo’s hand under the table. Mina sensed Jeongyeon’s discomfort since she introduced, reintroduced, Momo.

Although Jihyo was very welcoming, she always was to her past girlfriends, Jeongyeon was always hard to please. Mina thought this would be different. Jeongyeon knew Momo since she was born, practically forcing Mina to be friends with her, always telling Momo to protect Mina when they were kids, so what happened that changed her mind. 

“Yes, of course sweetheart. Everything’s fine. You know me. Just overthinking.” It’s a lame excuse and honestly Jeongyeon is overthinking this whole situation, especially since it’s a childish reason. 

“Overthinking? About what exactly?” Mina pushes. If Jeongyeon were to like any of Mina’s girlfriends, Mina would bet on Ray’s life that it would be Momo. 

“It’s nothing. Believe me. It’s a stupid reason.” Jeongyeon answers truthfully. Jihyo is watching her wife, basically shooting daggers at her with her eyes begging Jeongyeon not to ruin this night. 

“Are you sure? Because ever since I reintroduced Momo to you you haven’t really spoken to her, to us.” Mina believes in her mom’s truth, but there’s still something unsettling about it and she would really like to nip it in the . 

Jeongyeon feels defeated. Her shoulders sag as if she’s being scolded by her own mother, but no, it’s her precious baby girl almost on the verge of yelling at her for not liking her girlfriend. It doesn’t help that her wife is also very upset with her too. 

“Okay. I’ll tell you.” Jeongyeon looks at Momo. Its now or never. 

“Momo, since you came back there’s this one thing I can’t stop thinking abo-“

“I swear Yoo Jeongyeon! You need to get over it!”

“I’m sorry! It’s been bothering me!”

“She was a kid! LET IT GO!”

Mina and Momo look at the two adults wondering what on earth they’re talking about. Throughout their childhood they can’t recall any bad memories that would cause Jeongyeon to think of Momo in such a way. Momo always stayed true to her word. Jeongyeon was her idol her hero. The last thing Momo ever wanted to do was disappoint Jeongyeon. 

“Jeong...I mean auntie...I mean Mrs. Park” Momo is unsure how to address her now. She’s feeling nervous. 

“Momo, Please ignore whatever my wife is about to say. It happened so long ago and I don’t know why she’s still bothered by it.” Jihyo looks at Momo with reassuring eyes and then turns to her wife as of she’s about to slap her if she goes through with this.

“It’s okay Auntie Hyo. I would like to know what I did wrong as a kid to make it right.” Momo feels Mina tighten her grip and Momo caresses Mina’s hand with her thumb to let her know she’s okay. 

Jeongyeon takes a sip of her wine and clears , nothing like a little liquid courage to lighten up this awkwardness. 

“Well, Momo” Jeongyeon sighs and Momo is practically holding her breath. “When you were six, I saw you eat mud.”

“WHAT? You can’t be serious mom, mama she’s not serious is she?” Mina is in disbelief, how can she take her mother seriously if that is the only reason she doesn’t like Momo. Jihyo doesn’t answer her and Jeongyeon has her head down not wanting to make eye contact with her daughter and her girlfriend. 

Mina looks at Momo squeezing her hand to answer her “Momo, please tell my mother that she’s wrong. And even if it was real-“

“It was real, Mina.” Momo feeling a little embarrassed that Jeongyeon saw her do that. 

 

“WHAT?” Jihyo and Mina look at Momo in disbelief. 

 

“I swear I have a good excuse on why I did it.” Momo tires to plead her case as she looks at the three women staring at her. Especially at Jeongyeon who caught doing such an act. 

 

“Go ahead, sweetheart. I’m sure it’s not as bad as Jeongyeon said it was.” Jihyo pushes her to continue. 

 

“Okay well,” Momo turns to Mina grabbing her hand that Mina retracted after hearing her secret. “Do you remember when we were kids and we would play house in your backyard?” Momo asks. 

 

“Of course. You would come home from dance practice and I would be making mud pies. Oh my god, Momo!” Mina looks at her girlfriend in shock. “You weren’t suppose to actually eat them!”

“Wait wait! I did it for a good reason.” Momo tries to put some fact to her words. 

“I knew it was pretend and I wasn’t suppose to eat mud, but-“ Momo sighs not really wanting to continue because of how stupid it sounds out loud. 

“You said it was special today because it was our one month anniversary and you put extra love in it. So when Auntie Hyo called you in to clean up I wanted a taste. I guess Auntie Jeong saw me, but believe me I didn’t actually enjoyed it. I was six and curious! You know I get hungry after dance practice! Your love was in the mud! I wanted to know!” Momo finishes her story throwing every excuse under the sun looking at Mina hoping for her to understand. 

 

The table erupts into laughter after hearing Momo’s story. Mina looks at her girlfriend like she’s the most precious being on this earth. 

“Oh Momo, sweetheart” Jihyo is in tears from laughing at this story “that’s probably the sweetest and grossest thing six year old you could do.” Trying to reassure her through her laughing fit. “I hope you can forgive Momo now.” Jihyo tells her wife bringing back the conversation to Jeongyeon’s dislike for the poor girl. 

It’s takes Jeongyeon a minute to regain her composure and finally look at the poor girl in front of her. “Momo, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I judge six year old you. I was just a little mortified by it. I hope you can forgive me?”

“Of course Auntie Jeong. I was six. I don’t eat dirt. It never tasted good.” Momo says as she forgives her Auntie for assuming such a silly thing. “Since we put that behind us, I hope you can give us your blessing to be with each other.” 

Jeongyeon laughs and reaches forward to hold the couples hands in front of her. “You will always have my blessing. Since the day you guys were born.” She reassures the two of them. Jihyo reaches over soothing Jeongyeon’s back before leaning on her shoulder looking at the couple. 

“Thank you, Mom, Mama.”

“Thank you, Auntie Jeong and Auntie Hyo.”