Prologue

The Devil and his Angel

Before time and space were given their names lived the Creator and his angels. They were perfect and holy creators that basked in the Creators light and purity but slowly he became lonely. So, the Creator went about making the cosmos and in tiny corner he created a planet called Earth. He reached into the heavens and pulled the brightest star from the sky and from that he created two of his favourite angels Lucifer, known as the bringer of light and Lailah, known as the night bringer. Together the two angels supported and helped the Creator in making the Earth. Once the Earth was made the Creator grew tired and slept for centuries leaving the two angels alone. The two angels, born from the same soul of a star, fell in love and hid away from the heavens.

Once the Creator awoke from his slumber, he saw that his two companions were nowhere to be found. But, as they shortly found out, no one can hide from the maker of everything and Lucifer and Lailah were captured. Feeling betrayed and hurt, the Creator banished the two angels to Earth. Jealous of their ability to love, he forced the two angels as far away from each other as possible.

Lailah, he made become the first female on Earth, also known as Eve. She was forced to be in a loveless relationship for all of eternity and every time she would die, her soul would be reborn over and over as it was never to find peace in heaven. She was also cursed to forget about Lucifer until he could make her fall in love with him again as he wanted to test if their love was true. Lucifer was sent into the depths of Hell where he would be forced to be surrounded with the worst beings in the universe as the Creator felt that was who he was.

"Why must you punish us Creator, we are created from one soul. Bound to each other for all of eternity." Lucifer cried out, feeling it unjust that he and his love be separated for doing what was only natural to them.

"Because," replied the Creator, "I made you to follow me. To obey me and help me build a world in my image. Instead you abandoned me and were selfish and for that you must pay." The Creator knew how powerful Lucifer was and how nothing could stop him from seeing his love Lailah, so he put another condition onto his curse. "Every ten thousand years you will be able to come onto Earth but your time is limited and if she cannot reciprocate those feelings, she will die and you will be locked in Hell for another ten thousand years."

Taking his chance, Lucifer went to Eve on Earth as a snake, as he didn't want to scare her with his beastly form, and brought her to the forbidden fruit which the Creator has blessed with giving anyone unlimited knowledge. He had hoped that as soon as she took a bite that she would remember him and they could fall in love again. But, she never took a bite and instead gave it to Adam, the only other human with her and he took a bite. Adam was given knowledge and new that what Lucifers plan. The Creator grew angry and banished Adam and Eve from their paradise and promised them nothing but pain and suffering. Adam vowed revenge on Lucifer from tricking him and Eve.

Once they were out into the barren Earth, Adam and Eve struggled to survivor with Lucifer constantly on their heels to try and retrieve his soul mate. Although never in love with Adam, Eve birthed him many children but always felt a deep sorrow in her heart that never healed even on her death bed. Adam proclaimed his undying love for his partner Eve who never returned the sentiments and told him the only creature on Earth who showed her kindness was the snake who tried to give her knowledge so she wouldn't have to follow Adam forever.

Eve died an old woman surrounded by her husband and many children who never knew their mothers love. Adam cursed God for forcing them out of paradise and for Lucifer for tempting her away from him. Once again, he vowed his revenge upon Lucifer and said he would never die as long as Lucifer was alive.

Eve was buried under a tree that bore the same fruit as the one she craved back in paradise, Adam hoping that it would bring her some form of peace in the afterlife. He cried at her grave for days and shortly after he died with no partner at his side.

The night that Adam left Eve's grave, a snake that had grown weak and grey, slithered up to her burial ground and coiled up. With its last breath the snake called out for Lailah and there was a tremble in the universe as Lucifer was sent back into Hell to await ten thousand years before he can be reborn again to try and win Lailah over again. Just like the Creator had promised, Lailah's soul was reborn many times into many different people of different races, ethnicities and religious backgrounds. Each life though, was loveless and painful for her as she felt a longing in her heart that could never be satisfied. She would find a partner, who would always treat her well and love her unconditionally but there was always something in her heart and soul stopping her from ever loving anyone.

Lucifer would have to watch his soul mate suffering for ten thousand years, aching and crying for her but his voice would fall on deaf ears as she wandered the Earth like a spirit, never truly finding peace. When he would come to Earth, he never had enough energy to take the form of a human so he would have to take the lowly form of an animal to try and bring her to enlightenment. A whimsical cat to comfort her in the night, a faithful dog to stay by her side in the toughest of times, a songful bird to bring music to her life, a strong bull to work the lands and make her life easier. Over and over again he would spend every moment on Earth by her side but always right before she can figure out her love for him, the Creator would grow angry and cut Lailah's life short before she could die of old age.

He once again cried out that it was unfair that the Creator always took her from him just on the brink of her figuring out who he was. In his old age, the Creator felt that perhaps he was being too harsh on the angels.

"I will give you one last chance to make her fall in love with her. But, if you fail, I will erase Lailah's soul from existence and you will be stuck in Hell forever, never knowing a fresh breath of air again." The Creator was being gracious but Lucifer had become jaded and bitter after millions of years of being fooled by his Creator.

"If she falls in love with me again, will we be able to become Angels once again in your heaven?" Lucifer asked and the Creator became angry again as it was uncommon for beings to question his proclamations.

"If you can make her love you again I will let the two of you live the rest of your lives on Earth and your souls will finally be at peace." The Creator then went silent for ten thousand more years and Lucifer then began his plan to go back onto Earth and finally win over the heart of his missing half who was searching for him, even if she didn't know it.