conundrum

secret scroll of her universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Some people have their voice beaten by other people, some have the voice of the entire Earth. There are different kinds of voices that exist. Sooyoung owns one of the small to medium ones, without the knowledge that it is small at all. She begins to notice that her voice is small when the voice of the person asking for her food harshly beats her into it. She shouts back, wanting to beat their voice and they run away stumbling and crying to the teacher.

There is never a need for adults to reprimand her. Yet since that day, Sooyoung has never raised her voice. She dislikes the sound of her voice, even if it keeps the bullies away. She dislikes how it is so loud, people's attention are all strung high upon her. It hurts , also.

"When you grow up, make sure to be with the one who is a complete opposite of you," Her mom suddenly blurts this out while tying and combing her hair when she is in 6th grade. 

"I don't understand."

"Be with someone who fills the silence around you. I don't want to see you enduring so many silence in your life." She has a thing or two she loathes about her mom, and that how she can completely simplify her existence into a mere word. 

Nothing is about a mere silence for Park Sooyoung.

For most of the times, it is patience and kindness.

Even when she has yet to realize that.

 

 

Despite the dislike, she still follows her mother's advice and surrounds herself with people of different voices.

In middle school, someone just barges into her life without a single knock or notice. He kicks the door open and breaks it down, and he makes her not want to ever close the door again. 

His name is Jungwoo and if she can describe him in one word, it would be that he is chaotic. He can't stay put in one place and often has the teacher fuss over his tapping pen that can't ever be stopped. Lucky him and his genius mind, the teachers tolerate him because he always has one or two things to say about every subject. That kind of trait he has terrifies teachers also; curious students who ask of the most unlikely question.

Without having a formal introduction, they become friends right away. 

"Hey, Park Sooyoung."

"Stop calling me by my full name."

"Then, Park," a giggle bubbles out of him as if they have been long time friends while he skips beside her, intentionally accompanying her through the street. "You know Yeri, right?"

Her eyebrows are arched then. An image of them being together can be drawn already inside her head. "Well yeah, I do."

"Great!" He beams, nodding his head even though she is unsure what is he being excited for. Then he looks down, his palm rubbing the nape of his neck repetitively. They have stopped walking and there he stands, beet red and trying to open his mouth. She takes note of the sun shining upon his neck.

"You should ask her out y-"

"N-no, that's not what I mean!" His eyes panick, his feet automatically marches closer upon her, which sets the silence as they stand there unable to move. So close Jungwoo can see the very small mole under her right eye, so close Sooyoung can feel his warm breath upon her lips. After a moment, Jungwoo is the first one to snap and stumble back. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I'm sorry, Sooyoung." Jungwoo calls her real name when he becomes uncomfortable, she takes a note since that day.

A shade of rouge colours his cheeks like the summer's red leaves. "Nevermind." They continue to pave their way home, him rambling that he actually wonders if she can introduce Yeri to his friend and she just agrees since she feels bad putting him in that position. And that day, she falls asleep to his wondrous eyes that is stubborn to stay inside of her head.

It is the start of something new. Perhaps it is love, perhaps it is not love, at all. She is open to all possibilities.

 

"Park, Park, Park!" A familiar trail of light is wafting into her senses, a familiar skip of steps echo from behind her, bony hand taps upon her shoulder. An existence that sometimes irritates her, a black ink of jealousy tainting her heart.

"What?"

"Come watch my volleyball tournament today!"

She tilts her head, thinking and putting her hand under her chin, avoiding his hopeful eyes, begging and begging as if a dozen or more of his supposed fans won't be there. 

"I can't. I got my violin competition today."

Yet his eyes lights up for an instant at the mention of this. "Really? What time?" As always, he is light in his feet, making decisions without second thoughts.

Pursing her lips, she is a little bit upset that there is a very low possibility that she can get away from this. Lying is never in her dictionary. "My turn is around 7 PM."

"Mine is this afternoon! Please do come, I really hope you come. I promise you that I'll come to your competition also!"

Arms crossed, she stands studying him, her short hair falling by her shoulders are lightly carressed by the wind. "Why should it matter if I do come or not anyway?"

A drop in his expression indicates that she is going too far, him rubbing the back of his neck embarrassedly. "Ah, I see. It can't be helped t-"

"I'll come." she replies briskly, dropping her hands by her side, staring at Jungwoo who stands in the same height as her, their eyes stare into each other in the same level. 

The happiness is so evident in his smile. As if his lips are about to be split apart. She doesn't know someone can ever smile that big without being forced. But it all looks genuine as it is Jungwoo who is doing it.

 

 

Whenever she casts her eyes at Jungwoo, she remembers that for now, he has the loudest sound filling her life; his light and cheerful steps whenever he approaches her, his voice that calls all people's attention without raising it and now, his steps that are light but powerful in the face of his enemies. 

She can detect the exact moment when his noise becomes the loudest inside of her mind. It is when he makes that jump that resembles more like flying. 

Sooyoung is headstrong since she was born, and being focused is one of her strongest points, therefore that becomes the cause her eyes are o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter