A Claim of Bonding

The Covenants of Fate

Minho’s footsteps are muffled by the soft carpet of the altar. Kibum follows silently behind, eyes on the ground as his gown swishes gently with each step. He listens to his name be announced by his cousin, his best friend, one he suddenly realizes he will only see again once in the coming six months. The urge to grasp at Minho’s hand is stifled and instead, he clutches his fingers tightly into fists.

 The Time of Solitude; the three months after the Ceremony of Bonding where an omega and their alpha cut ties with their friends and clan to forge a new life together. One heat will occur in that time, the hope of young conceived, and then the bonded pair will again show their faces to the friends and guardians, elders and cousins they left behind. After today, he will see Minho only once more, at his friend’s Ceremony of Bonding, after which Minho will be restricted by his own Time of Solitude. Unlike Kibum, however, he will be with a bond mate he already knows and loves.

 The priestess now calls to him and at that he looks up, catching Minho’s eye through the thin veil. Minho is smiling encouragingly, the faintest hint of a nod as he waits for Kibum to move. He does so, hesitantly, carefully in the flowing gown and dark veil. The priestess’ smile is warm and inviting with a hand that reaches out to guide Kibum to where he is expected to stand.

 Eunsook kneels at the base of the altar, the same as Minho had done all those years ago. The night Kibum first met Taemin. To his surprise, a silver veil clings to her face and shimmers in the sunlight pouring in through the temple windows. Silver threads woven through her black suit similarly shimmer, in all giving her the appearance of a star sparkling in a night sky.

 “Kibum of the clan Kim,” the priestess begins, her voice as warm as her smile. “Eunsook of the clan Lee has accepted you as her Intended. As such, today we wait with anticipation to witness a claim of bonding made by the alpha. As the omega, it is now within your rights to refuse such a claim. Do you now make such a refusal?” Stunned, Kibum merely shakes his head, unprepared for such a question.

 “We must hear your answer, young one,” the priestess says with a laugh echoed by the audience. It is only then that Kibum notices how many are in attendance. The whole village, it seems, has come to witness. More even. Taemin’s face suddenly appears among the crowd and again he loses his words.

 His love’s face is soft, yet sad. It is what they both want, after all, just not how they want it. Nine months apart with Kibum alone with a stranger. Not at all how they want it.

 “Kibum?”

 “I make no refusal,” he answers quietly, eyes still on Taemin.

 The priestess nods in satisfaction and turns to where Eunsook still kneels.

 “Eunsook of the clan Lee. You have accepted Kibum of the clan Kim as your Intended. Do you now make a claim of bonding and accept him as your mate?” Taemin turns then and Kibum does as well. Between his veil and hers, Kibum cannot see her face and he wonders what she’s thinking in these final moments.

 The silence of the temple causes her words to ring even louder when she answers, “I do.”

 “Then so it shall be.”

 A cistern is brought out with an empty bowl beside it. Kibum first is directed to dip his hands into the warm water within the cistern and pour it into the empty bowl, Eunsook to follow.

After, Kibum takes Eunsook’s hands into his own and bathes them as well as he can with trembling fingers, breathing uneasily when Eunsook does the same, taking care to be gentle when she reaches his wrists. His eyes flicker between the bowl and where her eyes might be behind her mask, mostly staying at the bowl, and thinking about how this is the first time they have touched.

 The priestess then rounds them three times in blessing for longevity, young, and contentment. A bundle of flora burns in her hand as the blessing is sung in a voice that is neither beautiful nor unattractive.

 The collar he had fretted about and never seen is now presented. Simple, black, elegant in its own way. He stays still as Eunsook lifts his veil only slightly, only enough to slip her hands beneath it, not enough for his face to be revealed. He feels the warmth of her fingers at the back of his neck, hears the clasp and then the chill as the veil flutters when her hands disappear again.

 The collar is light against his throat.

 They are then made to stand to face each other, the crowds' eyes upon them, just as Minho and Jongin had.

 “Eunsook of the clan Lee. You have made a claim of bonding with Kibum of the clan Kim and accepted him as your mate. Now mark him as such so that those who have not witnessed your words will know as much by your deed.”

 Kibum flinches as Eunsook draws near, nearly taking a step back. He bites his lip when she takes his arm in her hands and turns away when he feels her teeth against his skin. The flesh is ripped & he gasps in pain, the sedative in her teeth taking longer than he expected to numb his wrist. It happens, though, too slowly for his liking, but at least it happens.

 Finally, Eunsook pulls away, an imprint of her teeth deep red on Kibum’s wrist & only the marks on the inside above his veins will stay. He stares at it as the priestess continues on in the ceremony.

 It is the end, the very end. There are no more steps to take. Kibum is now the bonded omega of Lee Eunsook & it is in this moment that he leaves the only life he has ever known & begins a new one wholly unfamiliar. A new one with a stranger.

 “Eunsook of the clan Lee. Kibum once of the clan Kim. Mates now bonded before witnesses. Go now. Those who love you will miss you these next three months.”

 Kibum’s eyes immediately search for Taemin’s finding them already watching him from the crowd. They watch each other as long as possible, until Kibum can no longer stand unmoving on the altar.

 Eunsook is bowing to the priestess and he quickly follows suit. One last glance at his love, and then Kibum follows his alpha out of the temple.