life isn't always fair

Unfair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The warm sunlight hit my skin gently through my clear glass windows. Another day in another year. I sat up and fixed my bed into a neat fold, just like how she always does it. I smile to myself. I've never been so organized before she stepped into my life. I was a mess, my life was a mess, but she put me back together like I was a puzzle left undone for years. She changed me for the better. She was the answer that was given to me, that I've been praying for. She was my everything.

Its been 3 years, Hyun Ji... I can't help but always seek for your presence, how I would always wake up and go over to see you in the kitchen preparing our breakfast, how you would end up having chocolate syrup on the side of your lips, and how I would always wipe it away for you and you would tell me how corny I am to copy the scenarios we see in movies. 

But now... all I see is emptiness, the house that two lovers used to live in became as silent as the wind brushing through the sky. When before it was filled with laughter and happiness, all there is now is dullness... and a man living alone, dealing with his own misery and problems by himself. When before him and her wife faced through the challenges and difficult matters of life together, now he's left alone.

I guess I can't blame her... she had to be taken away, who am I to stop fate? I have no power, I'm no God... even if I wanted her to live and stay with me forever I can't because I'm a mortal who can never be one to stop what is bound to happen. 

But maybe... maybe if I knew and saw it coming, she would still be here with me, living as happy as we can ever be. I would still wake up everyday seeing her by my side, I would still feel her arms wrap around me every night, I would still be able to protect her and feel how lucky I am to have her, I would have reached my dreams with her side by side, but all of our plans, our vision of our future became fantasy... a product of illusion.... they came crashing down by a simple mistake. I should have never let her go, I should have come with her, at least we would be together up in the heavens. Its all my fault.

"I'm so stupid..." 

Without knowing, I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I'm stupid for letting her go, I'm stupid for not joining her, I'm stupid for letting her suffer so much under the lights of the emergency room only to know she'd be taken away from me right after, I'm stupid for breaking my promise that we would go through every matter together. She felt pain physically, I couldn't even do anything but cry over our pictures while she was getting revived and at the end, she gave up. I'm stupid for not being able to be a husband that she deserves. I'm stupid and I've always been stupid.

"Yes you are... you're stupid for blaming yourself" 

I hear a familiar voice, the voice I've been seeking for, the voice I've been wanting to hear for years. I can't possibly be hallucinating. It's you...

"Hyun Ji?"

I turn around, and she was there. Her brown hair, brown eyes and beautiful smile greeting me. I stood up not being able to believe what was happening. Are you really here?

"You don't have to curse yourself, I could always find a new job"

"What are you talking about? W-what? I don't understand"

I stare at her in complete astonishment as I take steps closer to her. Am I dreaming? Am I going crazy? The woman I've been longing for is standing in front of me, giving me the smile I was only able to look at through pictures, never have I imagined I would be seeing the same smile again, but brighter than ever.

"There are lots more opportunities next time, first time isn't always a charm..."

I take my hand under her cheek, slowly, gently. It's real, this is real, I don't know how, all I know is she's back. I couldn't resist it, I wrap my arms around her as tight as I can, I felt her warmth surround me, bringing back the joy that has been lost deep inside of me back to life. 

"I missed you too"  

I felt her arms hug me back, I can't help but feel weak and break down in front of her, in happiness. For the first time in a long time, I was lightened up once again. 

"Are you crying? What's wrong?" 

"Nothing..." 

We pull away, I immediately wipe away the tears that rivered down my cheek. I don't want to see her worried, I return a smile, a genuine one.

"I just... I'm glad you're back" 

"Don't worry, I'm going to make it up to you today, come on, change your clothes we're going out"

She gave another smile and closed the gap between our lips. 

~♤|♤~

"Look! There's a bird, its stuck"

Hyun Ji pointed at a tree root outside our house, over it was a net and inside was a bird, struggling to break free. She rushed over to the bird and slowly removed the net that was trapping the little creature. I helped push the bird's wing from the wires and she took the bird over her palms. I watched her, smiling to myself. I fell in love with the most amazing girl in the world. Willing to help anyone she sees, even the littlest living beings, how lucky I am to have her.

"She must be hurt..."

"I don't see any injuries..." 

"No... on the inside, she must have a family or she must be lost..."

I couldn't take away the joy on my face, at how she had such a caring soul. Caring about the small things that might've meant so much to animals. She was such a beautiful person, on the inside and outside.

"Or maybe she needs to be somewhere..."

I said. She looked at me, with a light smile, nodding her head softly. 

"Maybe... we should let her go" 

I watched as she lovingly the bird with carefulness. I walk closer to her and offered my hand for help. Together, we set the bird free. We watched as it joined the flock passing by in the sky.

"I hope its happy..."

I mutter, as we stared at the little birds, flying away freely. 

"It is... it's where it needs to be now"

~♤|♤~

Hyun Ji and I went to the beach, it was still early so we decided to go there and just enjoy the fresh morning sea breeze. It's her favorite place in Seoul, it was a little isolated, not many tourist come to visit despite having beautiful clear waters and white sand. And that was why she loved the place.

We stared at the horizon, seperating the blue sky from the calm blue sea. I turned to her, smiling. I missed her, I missed this, how I would stare at her while her eyes sparkled reflecting the waters. The wind brushing through her hair as she closed her eyes. She looked like a beautiful piece of art.

"Jong In... will you ever forgive me if... if I break your heart?" 

She asks, her gaze not leaving the scenery. I look at her confused.

"Why would you ask me this question?" 

"I was just... curious"

I held her face under my hand and turned her to me gently, her eyes were staring down at the white sand, she looked heavyhearted and I couldn't bare seeing her that way. 

"Will I ever forgive you? Well... I'm not sure, what do you mean by breaking my heart?"

She didn't answer, the silence was killing us slowly, so I decided to break it.

"But one thing's for sure, I know you'd never break my heart, just like you promised on our wedding day, and I won't break yours the same way"

I smile and pulled the side of her lips up, forcing a smile of course still gently, just like how I always did before, trying to cheer her up.

"Come on... she's gonna smile... any moment now"

I pulled her cheek into silly little faces making fun of her until she beamed in laughter, pushing my hand away. And once again that laugh, music entered my head.

"You're trying to copy things from movies again, so cheesy"  

Hyun Ji doesn't like it when I go cheesy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter