Can't Believe

Been Through
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae was the son of a wealthy merchant and suffered from immoral thoughts.

“Hyukjae!”

He had a childhood friend of the same age that ran an inn. Hyukjae lightly turns to face the person that ran to catch up with him and waits for him to catch his breath.

“Please! Can you save me?” He grasps at the sleeves of Hyukjae’s robe, pulling on them lightly and looking up with wide eyes.

Gesturing for Donghae to stand up properly, he wonders what the other needs. “What’s wrong Donghae?”

“I need flowers and meat for a wedding that’s tomorrow!” Hyukjae looks at Donghae with an incredulous look and Donghae has a little decency to look a little sheepish.

Letting out a sigh and rubbing the back of his neck, he fixes Donghae with a stare. “A wedding is not something you plan the day before. It only became like this because you were careless and ill-prepared.”

Donghae collapses on the corridor floors, burying his face in his hands and dramatically fake crying, “Boo-hoo! Your childhood friend is in a lot of trouble! This is my first-time handling something so grand and important, it’s like you want me to fail Hyukjae!”

Donghae is wailing by the end of it and there’s a few seconds of silence.

He looks up and peeks through his fingers trying to gauge Hyukjae’s thoughts.

“Enough, I understand. I’ll figure something out.” Donghae looks up with his face absolutely glowing before jumping up to hug Hyukjae.

The suddenness startling him combined with the force and weight of Donghae, he struggles to support the two of them.

“You’re my best friend! And a blessing!” Pulling back and steadying himself by holding Hyukjae’s shoulders, “Thanks again Hyukjae!”

Turning and running while waving behind him, he calls out, “You come tomorrow too!”

Donghae is a scatter brain, he’s a cheerful person who will always come and save you, even when he needs saving himself.

He is Hyukjae’s dearest best friend.

But his feelings towards Donghae, are not those of a best friend.

◌ ◌ ◌

Hyukjae walks into the inn, allowing the voices of many to wash over him without really paying attention to what’s really going on around him.

Donghae quickly spots him, happy to see that Hyukjae did come. He pulls him to sit on the cushioned floor beside him and hands him a drink. “Drink up!”

Hyukjae takes a small sip, not really preferring the taste but he can’t help the remark that comes out towards Donghae. “Naturally, I deserve it after running around getting you all of this food and alcohol. Am I wrong?”

Bursting out into laughter, Donghae can’t deny Hyukjae’s words. “Modest as always!”

He can’t help but admire Donghae’s smile, the way his lips pull upwards to exposing his teeth and unfiltered joy. He raises the cup to his lips once more, hiding his smile.

Hyukjae snaps out of his reverie, shaking away his thoughts.

He’s harboring romantic feelings towards his best friends, who’s also a man. He questions if he’s under the spell of a malicious spirit.

That was the pretext he had visited the shaman earlier that morning.

To buy a purification stone bracelet that rested on his left wrist.

He can’t help but think while the stones are beautiful, they didn’t work at all.

Knowing it isn’t auspicious to sigh at someone’s wedding, he stifles it. Hyukjae is simply content with his feelings never being known, because if Donghae finds out, then he knows they can’t be together. He’s fine with being best friends, only if it’s been like how it has been for the last 15 years.

Taking a glance at Donghae, who’s stuffed his cheeks full of food. Donghae sits up and quickly swallows his mouthful.

“Oh yeah, Hyukjae! There will be another gathering next month so give yourself some free time.”

Hyukjae hums to show that he’s heard, but can’t help but ask, “What’s it for this time?”

“It’s for a wedding. My wedding.”

The cup that Hyukjae was holding slips out of his hand, his grip going slack. His wine completely spilling in his lap.

“Is something wrong? Are you alright? You look quite pale; shall I call for someone?”

Raising a hand to stop Donghae from chattering anymore, “Pardon me, I’ll be fine. I was just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter