Stupid.

Saying Something Stupid Like "I love you."

A/N: Yo! I'm Khazumi and I love DubChaeng. Enough said. FINALLY I've written for this pairing!!! Anyways, sorry for rushed plot or gramatical mistakes in advance! Enjoy? Idk how good or bad this will be, but enjoy!

p.s I edited it because of typos xD

~Khazumi

Dahyun stared at a figure in the distance intently, heart hammering in her chest, yet perfectly masked by her well-practiced stoic demeanor. Across the dancefloor stood her best friend of a decade, surrounded by one-too-many young men and women flaunting all they had in front of her during this occasion that was her debut as an adult- Son Chaeyoung at eighteen, greeting her guests warmly.

The reason for her thunderous heart was the fact that each time she gazed upon Chaeyoung- who was so blessed by these years, beloved by the goddess of beauty, she was reminded of her plans for tonight. The plans she had been preparing for ever since she decided she could no longer bear to watch other people try to woo the person who had Dahyun wrapped around her dainty fingers.

Dahyun was thinking of confessing.

Hell, it had only been a few minutes since Chaeyoung in the room, breath-taking in all her glory, and the party hadn't even gone into full swing as some guests were still busy with formalities and all that, some arriving still. Despite everyone being in formal wear, it was a chill, casual event. (Chaeyoung's mother and older sister wanted it to be a grand ball of sorts, but the little cub wanted a close, casual and comfortable homy party. In the end, it was settled by a casual party in formal wear, with a simple program at a private resort hotel.).

She felt her jaw clench with her two fists as one particular lady came close, subtly wrapping an arm around Chaeyoung's waist non-chalantly, but with a glint in her eyes, thoughts of want. Dahyun was jealous, and furious that anyone dare look at Chaeyoung that way.

It was no secret that Son Chaeyoung was one who many sought for. Ever since they were young, the younger girl never failed to turn heads and make crowds part just to let her pass. Not that her presence was intimadting or haughty or stuck up. No, not at all. Dahyun even sometimes told her that she did not seem to know her own beauty. She was humble, and her smile melted Dahyun, always driving her mad with the need to kiss, and to hold, and to protect that small dimple at the corner of her lips.

Especially tonight, in her gown that was in  Dahyun's favorite colors (coincidentally?). It was a clean, shining white with small intricate details in pink and red. Simply elegant, and Dahyun thought of her as a bride. Oh how she wished she was dressed like that for her. Dahyun loved the thought. Just as she loved Chaeyoung so, so much.

Dahyun had loved her since they were twelve. Loved her as more than a friend. And she never once stopped.

She scowled when a young man decided to hold her friend's hand, planting a tender, yet clearly flirtatious kiss on it. Chaeyoung didn't deserve half-hearted flirtations. Only flirting from someone who truly loved her.

Did Dahyun mean herself? Or could it be others too? Like...

"Myoui Mina." Dahyun's heart sunk as her (as Dahyun claimed to be) number one rival, Myoui Mina broke into the scene to steal the whole of the cub's attention just by standing close by.

"Minari!" Dahyun's heart hurt, and she was angry at her pathetic self for ever thinking ill of the Mina who was so kind and friendly to not only Chae, but to her as well, always trying to bridge the gap Dahyun created between them after she first assumed that the two had mutual feelings that were yet to be acted upon.

(Really, if they both liked one another, they should stop torturing Dahyun by prolonging her false hope that maybe there was nothing going on between them. It only added to her anxiety issues.)

She watched the tiny girl hug the ballerina tightly before pulling her down to whisper who-knows-what into her ear. Mina laughed, looking into Chaeyoung's eyes as the younger mirrored the gesture, and Dahyun had to tear her eyes away.

"Did dust get in your eyes?" Dahyun's frown turned into a small fond smile as she looked into light brown irises full of care. "Shame if you cry. That tux looks so hot on you."

"Sana..." Dahyun breathed out, feeling a sense of comfort as her other best friend arrived, her timing impeccable.

"Don't say my name like that, jagiya. You're making me fall for you again." Sana flirted, hands reaching over to straigten Dahyun's tie. "With those clothes, and that look, and that voice... mmhmm." Sana playfully said. "Nayeonnie should really take you out shopping more often. Her taste for clothes for you are the bomb."

"Sana-chan, First, she's my sister, and she demands I wear this, regardless of whether I think they suit me or not, secondly... Tzuyu will behead me." Dahyun said with a laugh. And as if on cue, long arms wrapped wround her neck, but instead of beheading her, they hugged her tiny frame close.

"Unnies, stop flirting."

Dahyun looked at Sana pointedly as if saying, 'see?', before patting the big baby yoda in a suit almost similar to hers. "Don't worry, Chewy, she's over me. You are waaayyy better than this ugly tofu eagle." She tried to comfort, but Tzuyu only sighed.

"An ugly dubu eagle that she loved for three years after being rejected. Do you know how hard it was for me to win her over?" Tzuyu mumbled. "Even with you teaching me how to?"

"She's a difficult one, yeah." Dahyun played along, both secretly teasing Sana.

"Yah! I'm here! And Dahyunnie is just that easy to love, okay?" She crossed her arms over her chest. "But she's right Tzuyu~ I'm over her. And we promised to be together forever, riggghttt?" Dahyun chuckled as her cute dongsaeng blushed hard.

"Y-yeah."

"Dahyunnie just breaks too many hearts." Sana commented as her hand left Dahyun's dress shirt and entwined with their taller friend's as she released Dahyun.

"That I agree with." Tzuyu grinned teasingly. "But her heart remains broken by the only one she actually likes." Sana and her shared snickers momentarily before stopping upon the sight of Dahyun's pensive smile as she tried to laugh along. They immediately felt bad because despite Dahyun trying to play along and not be hurt, knowing they were joking, everyone knew it affected her so much. So so much. (Except Chaeyoung, obviously.)

"Sorry, jagiya." Sighing in regret, Sana let go of Tzuyu and hugged Dahyun closely, tenderly. "Sorry. We're sorry." She tightened the embrace and planted a kiss against her dark hair.

"Sorry, Dubudubu-unnie. I know it's hard, champ." Tzuyu joined in the hug.

"Why are you apologizing." Though she said that, Dahyun failed to be convincing as her voice came out in a whisper. She knew they knew. 

"Are you okay?" Sana whispered in her ears. "I know you haven't been taking those because you said you're getting bett-"

"Thank you, I'm fine." She interrupted the question she'd rather avoid, hugging the two even closer than she already had. "I love you both." She nuzzled into them before giving them a toothy smile.

"Aigooo~" They both cooed. 

"Unnie." Tzuyu tapped her shoulder as they all released the embrace. "Go to her." Dahyun knew who.

Dahyun's mouth opened and closed repeatedly. "B-but! She's with... M-mina-unnie..." She whispered the last part as if they were keeping a secret.

"So?" Sana never understood why Dahyun was so careful around Mina. Didn't she know Mina and Momo were dat- oh. Sana slapped her forehead. It wasn't exactly a secret, but Momo and Mina had started dating just a month prior. Funny that it was also after Momo got over Dahyun. Geez, how their friend group never became awkward with all these love complications, Sana never knew. It was amusing though. Including the between Jihyo, Nayeon, and Jeong back when they were teens. Now that was a big shock to all. Though they all claimed it to be a big mistake for various reasons. Jihyo now dated a nice music major from the same college. 

 

 

 

 

"Sana?"

"Trust me, Dahyunnie. Chaengie wants to spend time with you just as much as you want to be with her." She pushed Dahyun away, making her face the direction she had initially been gazing at.

Dahyun inwardly gasped as she caught her best friend's curious eyes that must have been staring in her direction for awhile as she had abandoned her convo with Mina and both ladies were looking at Dahyun with unreadable looks.

"What are you waiting for? Go!" Tzuyu gave her a light push, but Dahyun, with her nerves, stumbled and tripped over her shoes, nearly face-planting on the hard floor. The maknae of the friend group face-palmed, groaning at the awkwardness she indirectly caused, whispering a sorry into her palm as she and Sana rushed to the poor tofu's side as she remained frozen on the ground in embarrassment as Chaeyoung's group of suitors giggled, snickered, and even outright laughed. 

Chaeyoung stood in shock, eyes wide while Mina covered as she gasped before finally being able to move, Sana and Mina shutting all the rude watchers up with a glare as Tzuyu literally told them to- "Shut up."

"Dahyunnie? Oh my gosh, baby are you okay?" Sana asked worriedly, hand on her forearm, gently pulling her up. "Can you stand, hon? Let me help yo-" She was stopped by a hand on her shoulder, the owner giving her a smile.

"Let me, Sana-unnie." Chaeyoung said, a strange expression resting on her face, her tone of voice not allowing Sana to say no.

"Okay?"

The crowd just continued to watch on as Chaeyoung got Dahyun on her feet, though the latter kept her eyes to the floor. She was clearly ashamed and wanted to get away from there. She seemed to be pulling away from Chaeyoung's grasp and heading to the direction of the door, but Chaeyoung pulled her back.

"Hyunnie?" Her hand went up to caress Dahyun's cheek, her touch compelling the older to face her. "Are you okay?" She waited for the answer patiently as her heart thumped when she saw Dahyun looking into her eyes, searching for something she had no idea of.

"I should leave. Have a happy birthday..." She responded in an answer Chaeyoung didn't expect to her simple question, again attempting to leave.

"Wait- what, but the party's barely started! Unnie~" Chaeyoung whined, standing in front of Dahyun with a pout she knew the older couldn't resist. She saw her unnie waver, before dropping her head in resignation and nodded. "Yes!"

And at that moment, a new song cued, and the dance party was on. Ignoring everyone else who had been trying to ask Chaeyoung for a dance just prior to this, she pulled Dahyun to the center, her friends smiling as they followed. Dahyun trudged to the middle, feet as heavy as lead. Usually, she'd be pumped by any form of dance music- she was a taking dance as a minor class in her music class with the J-line unnies, majoring in composition and piano-, but right now, she just didn't feel like it. She didn't want to be seen.  At the moment, she'd rather disappear. "Chaeng, I... maybe I should si-"

"Dance with me, Hyunnie?" Chaeyoung asked in her most adorable voice, poking Dahyun's cheeks into a smile. And she indeed smiled the smile Chaeyoung found herself swooning in. 

The effect Chaeyoung had on her,  the girl herself would never know,  but she had given Dahyun a reason to stay and who was the older to refuse?

"Yes, yes, as the Daiki Princess wishes." Dahyun laughed her assent as a familiar song played, and Dahyun pulled her dance partner into position. "Something Stupid" started playing and she grinned, finding it funny how much her situation fit the song. "Shall we? You're lucky it's your birthday so I'll be granting any wish you'd like." Truthfully, no matter what the day, Dahyun would be willing to do anything for her small friend. Anything and more.

"Is that really tthe only reason?" Chaeyoung giggled as they started stepping in synch to the song.

Could Son Chaeyoung read minds?

"Maybe." Dahyun shrugged. Chaeyoung pouted at the vague answer, but before she could complain, Dahyun felt like singing- and she did. And it was like some switch of bravery flipped inside her. Daringly, she (not-so) secretly tried to confess through the help of the song.

"I know I stand in line
Until you think
You have the time
To spend an evening with me
."

Dahyun laughed internally as she was referring to the herd of suitors Chaeyoung had, and she was one of them, simply waiting for the younger to give her even a glance. She gave Chaeyoung a small turn before bringing her closer than earlier. Her partner had a small smirk on her face, trying to determine if Dahyun really meant the words she sang, because contrary to her Unnie's thoughts, she was well aware of her feelings, but did not want to take the first step. She was getting impatient, admittedly, but she was also afraid that maybe she was reading it wrong if Sana and Dahyun's interactions on a regular basis were anything to go by. 

She knew it was silly because Sana and Tzuyu were dating already, but she could not help her skepticism. 

"And if we go
Someplace to dance
I know that
There's a chance
You won't be
Leaving with me"

"Why, where are you taking me?" Chaeyoung giggled, whispering the question as she tried to read Dahyun who merely shrugged as they continued to dance. Chaeyoung leaned closer till their foreheads touched and they breathed the same air.

"Then afterwards
We drop into
A quiet little place
And have a drink or two"

.Dahyun in a deep breath as her senses were pulled back together and her heart thumped strongly against her chest. This was it. She was about to say it. Whether Chaeyoung would know or not that she was actually going to be confessing. She was going to tell her that Kim Dahyun utterly loved Son Chaeyoung. She felt her palms get sweaty as she gave Chaeyoung a small twirl.

"And then I go
And spoil it all
" The lyrics suddenly gave her fear. In so few seconds, she suddenly doubted herself. She had a friendship that was so precious, so amazing, and what if- what if Chaeyoung didn't feel... would she ruin it- "By saying something stupid Like-" She could see anticipation in Chaeyoung's eyes. but she had a deep dread that muddled up her gaze. Suddenly, voices she hated came up in her mind. Voices and a haziness she hadn't had in a while. They were driving her mad as her chest hurt from the beating it was receiving from her heart.

"Dahyun-unnie?" Chaeyoung was surprised when they stopped dancing, Dahyun's lyrics halted, not speaking the words Chaeyoung had been expecting and ready to receive and respond to. Dahyun's eyes were wide and filled with regret, fear, and unshed tears. The warm body that had just moments before brought her feelings of bliss and comfort tore away.

"I'm sorry- I... I should go-" The girl bolted to the door heading to who knows where.

"Dahyun!" Chaeyoung called after the retreating figure. She heard Sana cursing under her breath as she and Tzuyu tried to follow after their friend to find her and hopefully bring her back. Chaeyoung sighed as she rubbed her hands against her face, feeling totally broken and fragile. She wanted to cry because it was there! It was right there! Her and Dahyun, them, it was right at the tips of her fingers, of their fingers and yet her older friend didn't grasp it.

Everything suddenly just felt like a blur, the party noises all drowned out into a depressing song that Chaeyoung hated. She could not see, hear or feel anything, numb to the world, in a fog, lost and hurt. She didn't know what just happened. Did she do something wrong? Why did Dahyun suddenly pull away? What did she-

"It's not your fault if you think it is..."

"But Mina-unnie, if only I told her first and not put this pressu-"

"Dahyun needed this push, and she needed to be brave for once. You can't keep doing all the work. You've kept enough suitors away for the both of you. The least she could do is be the one to ask." Mina patted her head. Chaeyoung didn't respond, biting her lip to keep herself from spilling waterworks. Mina noticed. "Hey, are you oka- nevermind, you're not."

"I'm not."

"Well then." Mina gave her a quick hug before facing Chaeyoung. "Don't confess, but go talk to her and make her confess."

"Unnie... maybe..."

"Trust my Minari, Chaengiee~" A voice suddenly cut in. Slurring despite not being one bit drunk. Just sleepy. As always. "She would never allow Dubu to get hurt beyond what she can take." (Though Momo said it, Mina was starting to doubt it. Maybe Dahyun couldn't take this. Because at the end of it all, they knew why she never tried taking a step in the first place.)

"Momo-unnie." Chaeyoung laughed at the dishiveled suited lady. "So glad you could make it." She teased despite the storm in her heart.

Momo ruffled her hair, ruining it slightly as Mina scolded her before fixing her girlfriend's appearance. "Wouldn't miss it for the world kiddo... Also Mina would kill me. She kept calling for an hour straight til i got up." Momo admitted bashfully, grinning sheepishly at the pair. "Shall we go?" She suddenly said.

"Go where?" Chaeyoung asked as Momo wiped away a stray tear from her face with her thumb.

"To find your stupidly dense eagle."

 


 

 

Sana ran and ran and ran. It had been a while since she ran this much. She didn't complain however, no matter how exhausted she felt. The last time this had happened was when she was running away from Dahyun after she had been rejected. It hurt so damn much, but now she understood it was never meant to be. Now, opposite to that time, she was running to Dahyun, but still she felt hurt, not because but for her beloved friend. Maybe she'd never understand, or maybe she did a bit. The anxiety of not being loved back by the one you loved. Their situations were the same, yet different. Because Chaeyoung did return the feelings. And Sana felt a bit mad because why hadn't the little cub made a move. Though she also knew that Dahyun was a coward when it came to feelings (it took her so long to tell Momo and Sana the truth on why she couldn't return their feelings), and maybe this was the time to change that negativity of hers.

Sana ran. But as it was before, Tzuyu ran steadily behind her. Sweet Tzuyu who comforted her after that ordeal. She didn't hold anything against Dahyun, but she just could not face her because she had loved her so deeply. But Sana was happy that she was starting to feel the same level of adoration for their youngest. It took a while to move on, but she found the love Dahyun told her she deserved. And she found it in Tzuyu who had waited by her side the whole time. She had felt sorry at first, but the taiwanese assured her that it was natural and that she wouldn't be leaving anytime soon so Sana could take her time and fall in love with her. (Tzuyu said this so smugly.)

She still loved Dahyun, and she would always love Dahyun. Tzuyu knew and accepted that, but they both knew that Sana was hers in heart and soul. And hey, Dahyun was very loveable. No one could blame Sana. They knew someday that love would just become a different kind of love, but stay as strong.

After countless rounds and passing hallways, they arrived outside, and by the stairs at the back of the hotel that led down to a garden, a suited figure sat. But she wasn't alone. A girl in a light blue gown joined her, sat beside her. They decided to watch the scene play out because maybe that person was the only one who could did Dahyun out from her pit, aside from Chaeyoung.

"Dahyun, listen-"

"Mina-unnie, just-! I'm... ugh! Stop. I don't want to talk right now, I've told you already." Dahyun scratched her head.

"Why not? What's wrong with telling me? You know sometimes I think you have a problem with me and just pretend to actually like me!"

Mina knew she was saying all the wrong things because she knew that even if Dahyun was jealous of her close ties with Chaeyoung, she never felt unwelcome or unloved by the younger. Dahyun had shown her as much affection as she had any of their close friends. It even baffled Mina that Dahyun was so understanding and never ever put her feelings before her better judgment.

"You know that's not true! I'm just! Unnie, you're fine, I swear but I'm simply-" Dahyun was no standing.

"What? Dahyun we've been at this for ten minutes, you're what?! Huh!" Mina raised her voice, which rarely happened, but she was growing impatient with the Dahyun who refused to open her ears. She stood up, keeping their eyes levelled.

"I'm!" Her tongue was in knots, Mina knew Dahyun was finding it hard, but she had to overcome it if she wanted something with Chaeyoung. She had to be the brave one.

"What?! You're what?!" Mina asked, a stare-off going down between the two as Dahyun in her deepest breath that night before yelling-

"I'M STUPID!!!" Mina froze. Sana froze. Tzuyu struggled to keep from bursting into a laughing fit. All of them were stupefied, shocked, bewildered. (and amused)

"Da-Dahyunnie..?"

"Wait, no, no that's... that's... not it.. I'm... Mina..." Dahyun squeezed her eyes shut as she felt tears flow out along with her pent up frustrations. Years worth of it all. "God..."

"Let it out slowly." Mina meant the words and emotion. She squeezed cold hands that contrasted a warm heart. "Please let us all be there for you, Hyun."

Mina rarely called her that. Only Chaeyoung used 'Hyunnie' on her, but when Dahyun was in pain and anxiety or in need, Mina was there to help in those rare times. One of the reasons Dahyun could never hate her and only love the older girl. Oh the irony of it all.

"I'm scared..." She whispered, legs folding beneath her frame.

"You don't have to be." Mina whispered back, wanting to ask why, but keeping from doing so. She simple hugged Dahyun. "Just speak."

"Sorry..."

"Why are you sorry?" Sana who couldn't take being a bystander, approached with Tzuyu in tow.

Sorry. That was a word she was told years ago. Actually, it was something everyone heard often. And it hurt for different reasons because of the meaning behind it whenever Dahyun said it.

Everyone knew that Dahyun was an insecure soul. Everyday, this bubble of confidence and excitement was half-real, half- faked by Dahyun. No one knew the back story to why Dahyun was this way. You'd think she was the happiest in the world, but she had the most fragile mind that always made Dahyun question herself. Sometimes, they became the unfortunate witnesses of Dahyun breaking herself. Whether it be from failed competitions, dissatisfied performances, the judging of public to Dahyun's actions sometimes despite her trying to please them, her parental and religious pressure, failed grades, and even the pettiest fights. It always riled Dahyun's self-loathing up. She was a broken spirit in an empty shell.

Dahyun had anxiety problems. And each time she had her attacks, she could only apologize because she always thought she was a burden and a bother to the group that loved her dearly. She was far from it, truthfully. Because she always tried so hard to make everyone but herself happy. Selfless and reckless. She faced her problems with a smile that could'nt seem to defeat them. Nevertheless, she tried.

Sana loved her because she tried, tried to stay strong. Because honestly, Kim Dahyun was the saddest person she had ever met.

"Sana... Sorry... Tzuyu... sorry... you had to find me... and find me in this... horrible..."

"You always say that." Tzuyu went to kneel on the step in front of Dahyun, flicking her forehead. "You really are stupid. I swear if Nayeon-unnie finds you-after she's done eating Jeong's face off-" Tzuyu added to herself, "she'll kill us." Dahyun's eldest sister was just the best, perfect for taking care of her. Her other older (step) sister, Jihyo, was more of the mother, but right now she was having her medical internship in a different city and couldn't make it, greeting Chaeyoung with an apology and a promise. If those two caught wind of Dahyun breaking down, they'd be in a frenzy of worry for their youngest who was just too precious.

(Jihyo's dad married  Nayeon and Dahyun's mom when they were nineteen and fifteen respectively. Hence the reason for the elders' mistake.)

 

"You never had anything to be sorry for." Sana brushed the hairs that had stuck to Dahyun's wet face as she planted a soft kiss on her forehead. "Unless you're sorry for being perfect, then well... apology accepted." She jested and Dahyun let out a little laugh, the other two joining in.

As their laughter died down, Mina hugged Dahyun tightly. "This is your chance to break free. Good luck, Hyun. We all love you so so much." She pulled away and stood up with the Satzu pair.

"Good luck. Unnie, fighting and... love you..." Tzuyu said awkwardly as she gave Dahyun a peck on the cheek which was much appreciated.

"I love you, Jagiya." Sana kissed the crown of her head. "Best of luck and happiness." She bumped their foreheads together as she rubbed the tips of their noses in an eskimo kiss. "You can do it."

Only then did Dahyun notice.

"Wait- what do you mean good luck?!" The three left without a word, and went inside where Dahyun could see Momo holding the door open for them before giving her a smile and a 'hwaiting!' gesture. Then she was left alone.

... or so she thought.

"So..."

Dahyun jumped a foot into the air as she turned to see Chaeyoung come out from behind a pillar. "Chaeng..."

"Hi."

"Hi." Dahyun replied breathily. The negative feelings from earlier returning bit by bit as she steadily grew more fearful-

"Stop that." Chaeyoung said as she took Dahyun's hand in one of hers, lacing their fingers together as the other cupped the side of the pale girl's face. She blushed as the older leaned into the touch and gave her a sad smile.

"Stop what?"

"Hurting yourself. Your eyes are screaming for help." Chaeyoung whispered as they were drawing closer, a magnetic force settling between them. Their foreheads touched, then their noses and it was so close, closer than it was earlier and Dahyun could just cry at the emotion Chaeyoungs gaze held for her. "Just say it. Please. Stop this from hurting the both of us."

"Chaeng I- I can't, it's not that easy..." Dahyun tried to again, put distance between them, but Chaeyoung gripped her firmly in place. She was miserable that Dahyun was still too afraid,  but happy that the girl did not deny having felt something for Chaeyoung.

"You're not leaving me again." She commanded. "And why? What's so hard... three words. You already know I know. And you know how I feel..." Chaeyoung whispered against Dahyun's lips, getting closer and closer. Trying get best to coax and encourage. 

"Do I really?" Dahyun's voice shook. "What if I'm wrong?" Dahyun knew she was entertaining the wrong thoughts but she always had. Always.

"You aren't. What makes you think I'd say no?" Chaeyoung sighed as she was the one who pulled away in disappointment. She crossed her arms over her chest as she felt annoyance. They were so close.

"Chaeyoung, you've just... you are you. I don't... I don't think I'm good enough for you, let alone simply enough for you..." Dahyun said, tears resurfacing with her fears. "You're all things wonderful and I'm-"

"Everything to me." Chaeyoung finally confessed, but still not saying those specific words. "How long do you plan to ruin my birthday?" She tried to tease, but the crestfallen expression Dahyun wore made her want to take it back. "Hyunnie, I just... I just want you to tell me... finally tell me."

"I- but..." Dahyun didn't know what was still holding her back. Chaeyoung was practically giving herself to Dahyun, for her to cherish and hold and love and protect. All the things she wanted to do. So what was the problem.

"What is the problem?" Chaeyoung sighed, now mirroring Dahyun's distress as she tried to keep her own tears at bay.

Silence settled between them as they just stared at each other.

"I know I stand in line until you think you have the time to spend an evening with me
And if we go someplace to dance, I know that there's a chance you won't be leaving with me."

Dahyun sang the song from earlier again, tearfully as she tried to approach Chaeyoung, reaching out a hand that the younger took and brought to her lips. Dahyun held back her gasp as tingly sensations ran up her arm. Her voice was squeaky and cracking. 

"Then afterwards we drop into a quiet little place and have a drink or two... And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like..." She didn't say it yet. She didn't have enough courage. But she was beginning to build it up.

Chaeyoung decided to be patient one last time.

"I can see it in your eyes that you despise the same old lines you heard the night before." Dahyun knew this wouldn't be the first time, and certainly not the last that Chaeyoung would hear these words. And she didn't know how sincere the other people who said it were, but she knew she would always mean it as long as it would be from her own lips. "And though it's just a line to you for me it's true and never seemed so right before."

Dahyun smiled and Chaeyoung did too. This was so true. Their feelings were so true. There wasn't a hint of dubiety there. They both knew so well.

"I practice every day to find some clever lines to say to make the meaning come through." Chaeyoung had once caught Dahyun writing something in her notebook- later she found out they were lyrics to a song, supposedly for her. (Tzuyu tattled on Dahyun.) She also caught the girl role-playing and practicing with the others. But never did she experience all those scenarios she watched secretly from behind closed doors. "But then I think I'll wait until the evening gets late and I'm alone with you."

"It's evening... and it's getting late..." Chaeyoung commented as Dahyun nodded in reply, pulling Chaeyoung into an impromptu dance- their unfinished dance. 

"The time is right, your perfume fills my head, the stars get red and oh the night's so blue." Dahyun sighed as she startled Chaeyoung by pulling her flush against her body in a tight hug, inhaling her scent, voice softening. "And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like..."

Bated breath, thundering hearts, stormy thoughts and emotions. They were all calmed because Chaeyoung's wait was ended just like that.

If Dahyun couldn't show it through words, well, actions spoke louder than words ever could.

She kissed her.

And it all faded away. Fear,  anxiety, darkness,  hesitance, hopelessness. 

Chaeyoung was stunned. But those lips were oh-so-soft, she melted. But just as she was about to reciprocate, Dahyun ended their sweet connection, making her whine.

"I know it's stupid or silly of me, but-"

"It's not." Chaeyoung interrupted, rolling her eyes in annoyance as Dahyun laughed.

"I love you."

That was enough compensation to Chaeyoung as she crashed her lips against Dahyun, refusing to let go till oxygen ran out. Their lips danced, tongues fought away all frustration, beginning from a desperate make-out, passion and frustration-filled until it dwindled to a gentle caress of lips, Dahyun drawing circles against Chaeyoung's back to calm her and ease her into their moment.

As Dahyun pulled away, taking in a deep gasp, Chaeyoung decided in that split second that it wasn't enough and started another kiss. Dahyun just had to oblige.


Ten minutes later and they were seated back on the stair with Chaeyoung in Dahyun's lap.

"You're spoiled." The older commented, hugging her love and basking in the warmth she provided.

"By you." Chaeyoung retorted and Dahyun laughed, happily. The happiest she had ever sounded as she rocked them both back and forth.

"By me."

"Hyunnie?" Chaeyoung whispered as she leaned her forehead against Dahyun's.

"Yes?"

"I love you." Chaeyoung confessed, claiming this as the best birthday ever- until she saw the tears. What?! What kind of girlfriend makes her only one cry just after they had gotten together? "Why are you crying?! Did I do something? Hyunnie stop! PLease~ Neeeee~" She tried using aegyo, poking Dahyun until she was pulled into another burning kiss.

"I love you too." Dahyun murmured as she stopped weeping. "I guess it's not so stupid anymore?" She chuckled to herself and Chaeyoung smiled fondly as she peppered her head with kisses.

"It never was."

"...."

They remained seated but something was still on Dahyun's mind and Chaeyoung wanted to know. "What is it?" She asked, not wanting the older to bottle it up any longer.

"Shouldn't we go back to the party? Your guests and family must be looking for you." Dahyun said worriedly.

"Nah, I wanted a simple party with loved ones, so they'll just have to deal with it because right now," She poked Dahyun's nose fondly. "I'm with the one I love the most."

Dahyun blushed.

With how embarrassed she was, maybe only now could it be stupid- the extent to which she loved Chaeyoung.

Nah.

It wasn't ever stupid.

"Have I told you I love you?"

"Yes. and I love you too."

 

The end? hihihih

 

A/N: So there might be a follow-up depends on how my time and my work goes, sorry. Thanks for reading~