One

Coffee Crush

 

Jiho winced at the raised female voice coming from a table in the corner of the café, and as he glanced in that direction, he noticed that the majority of their customers were as well. It was the cute redhead guy that had bought two macchiatos earlier. Jiho had briefly checked him out before he’d noticed the woman standing behind him. It was that same woman, that was the source of the current commotion.

 

Pissed and seemingly unconcerned with the attention she was attracting, she continued to rant loudly. In complete contrast to his girlfriend, the redhead had slouched down in his seat, eyes fixed on the table, and even from the counter Jiho could see that his face flamed as red as his hair.

 

Jihoon appeared from the back room, drawn by the noise. “What’s happening?”

 

Kyung answered. “Some guy getting a verbal beat down from his girlfriend.” He nudged Jiho with his shoulder. “Well, are you going to do something?” Without taking his eyes off the unfolding drama Jiho replied. “And what is it, you think that I should do?” He felt Kyung’s shrug beside him. “Go over there and break it up. They’re causing a scene, and this is your cafe!” Jiho looked at Kyung, eyebrow raised. “You are the co-manager, why don’t you do something?”

 

“Hyung, I think you should do something.” Jihoon chimed in, and Jiho glanced at Jihoon as Kyung replied.

 

“Eh, I don’t think so. That girl is feral, she’d probably scratch my eyes out. I like my eyes.” Kyung said as he stared in their direction. “You’re terrifying though. Just you know, put your face-.”

Kyung’s eyes widened comically. “Oh !” Jiho swiftly turned back to the couple.

 

The woman stood over the guy now, arm still extended, cup upturned, and though Jiho couldn’t make out his expression, as the liquid matted his hair and ran down his face in rivulets, his body language spoke volumes. Head bowed and arms wrapped around himself protectively, Jiho felt a instinctive urge to get the woman away from him. His feet were already moving before he’d consciously made the decision to intervene, and he ignored the look Kyung threw at him.

 

JIho slid himself between them, effectively silencing the woman as she looked up at him in surprise. His body now blocking the seated young man from her view, her expression quickly changed to annoyance, which fueled his own irritation. Towering over her, he leaned in closer and smiled coldly, his voice low.

“Get the out of my cafe.” Eyes widening, she took a step back, her angry expression morphing into uncertainty.

 

“You can’t talk to me like that.” Her voice faltered on the words. Jiho leaned into her again until she was forced to tilt her head at a sharp angle to maintain eye contact.

“If you don’t get the out of my cafe now, I’ll have you arrested for public disturbance.” He slowly enunciated the words.

 

The woman stepped back further, and Jiho could see the doubt in her eyes, trying to decide how serious his threat was. He wasn’t serious, but he had a mean poker face, and was confident that she wouldn’t call his bluff. After a moment she snatched her bag and coat from the chair. Then leaning around Jiho, she spat a ‘we’re through’ at her, Jiho assumed now ex-boyfriend. Turning she stalked from the café, head held high.

The café buzzed with hushed whispers and obvious stares that made his shoulders tense, but he didn’t move from his protective stance in front of the redhead, shielding him from the curious eyes.

 

“And that episode of ‘How Psychotic is Your Girlfriend?’ was brought to you by Block Bees Cafe!” Kyung’s voice floated loudly across the space.

 

“Now as a special treat for the first three customers to the counter, a free takeaway box of our famous macaroons! Yes! Yes! Yes! You heard me right!” The room filled with the screeching of chairs as the majority of the customers hustled for the counter. It was times like this that Jiho didn’t regret making his best friend his co-manager. As opposed to the regular occasions, when he did so often regret it.

 

Reacting quickly, Jiho turned to find the guy was staring up at him, eyes wide.

 

“Come on, while the rubberneckers are preoccupied.” Grasping him by the upper arm, Jiho gently pulled him out of his seat and led him across the room towards the staff only door. He caught Jihoon’s eye, and motioned back towards the table, hoping that he understood to watch the guy’s things. The redhead followed him meekly as he pushed through the door. The staff toilet was just inside and Jiho pulled him in, taking a clean towel from the shelf.

 

Up close, Jiho could see just how attractive the guy was, even doused in the cafe’s finest macchiato. Smooth skin, and full pouty lips, that didn't  quite manage to hide the set of bunny teeth. Sweeping cat like eyes that currently looked a little glassy, as they watched him in return, and all Jiho could think was really pretty.  Jiho didn't do pretty but he could not stop staring at this guy. When the man’s eyes flicked to the side and he shuffled in place, Jiho knew that he’d been staring just a little too long.

 

Clearing his throat to break the tension, Jiho handed him the towel. “Here, clean up. I’ll go get your  things.” The man took the towel with a mumbled thanks. Jiho didn’t close the door behind him, there was no one to bother him.

Jihoon was mopping the floor around the table, when Jiho stepped back onto the floor, the redhead’s backpack and jacket sitting neatly on a chair.

 

“Is he okay, Hyung? That was really awful.”

 

Jiho shrugged. “He’ll get over it. Couples break up all the time.”

 

“He’s too nice for her anyway.” Jihoon stated, and Jiho looked at him questioningly.

 

“How do you know that, you don’t even know him?” Though Jiho had actually been thinking the same thing, he was curious as to why Jihoon thought so. The table slid across the floor with a screech as Jihoon moved it to get to the last of the coffee spill.

 

“I’ve served him before, a couple of times.” Jihoon looked at Jiho and grinned. “He seems really sweet, and he has an angel smile.”

 

Okay, Jiho had no idea what constituted an angel smile in Jihoon’s estimation, and it was not likely that he was going to find out today,. Because the man definitely didn’t have much to smile about.

 

Picking up the backpack and jacket, Jiho hesitated. The two coffee cups were still sitting on the table, and Jiho reached for them, Yerim was written in Jihoon’s messy writing surrounded by badly drawn flowers. Not the name he was interested in knowing. He twisted the other cup around…Yukwon, followed by a smiley face. He looked up to find Jihoon grinning at him, and quickly put the cups back on the table.

 

“Wait until you see his angel smile, Hyung.”

 

Throwing a whatever over his shoulder at Jihoon, he returned to the back room. The redhead, Yukwon, Jiho amended, stood in the toilet doorway, unsure. He looked better. His hair was wet, and Jiho thought that he’d probably run it under the tap, and his skin was a freshly scrubbed pink, though Jiho wasn’t sure if it was from the washing or residual embarrassment. The shirt was another matter, though he’d managed to wash most of the coffee stain out, the soaked material now clung to his skin, and Jiho’s eyes were drawn to a clearly visible through the fabric. Jiho forced his eyes back up to the man’s face, it had been a while since he’d been so instantly, physically attracted to someone.

 

“I brought your things.” Handing them off, Jiho stood there a moment, undecided. “Do you need a fresh shirt, I have one in here somewhere? Probably not the most flattering style, but that wouldn’t matter on someone like you anyway.” The man unconsciously crossed his arms over his chest and looked at his shoes, and Jiho was surprised by how incredibly seductive Yukown’s shyness was.  He was positive that the guy had no idea what he was doing to Jiho right now. Still he cursed himself silently, because was he really hitting on a guy who had just been publicly dumped?

 

“That’s okay. But um, thanks for you know, helping. It was really nice of you.” He murmured, glancing behind Jiho at the door, it was obvious that he just wanted to get out of there and Jiho couldn’t blame him one bit.

 

“No problem.” Jiho sidestepped, giving Yukwon room to pass. The redhead slid by, but once he reached the door he stopped, bowing awkwardly to Jiho, and mumbled another thanks before slipping out the door.

 

***

 

Yukwon fidgeted on the sidewalk, as he eyed the door across from him. Desperately craving caffeine before work, but reluctant to enter the place that was now permanently linked in his mind to one of the most humiliating experiences in his twenty-two years. It had been two weeks, and everyday as he passed by on his way to work, he had eyed the cafe longingly.

 

Dressed in his work suit, and long winter coat, his hair covered by a beanie, he looked different, and Yukwon was currently trying to convince himself that really, what were the chances that anyone would remember him. He’d only been there a few times since he’d moved to the area, and perhaps it wouldn’t even be the same serving staff. Sighing in frustration, Yukwon finally moved when someone elbowed him in the back as they rushed by him. If he stood here any longer, he'd be late to his job.

 

The cafe was busy, and Yukwon joined the line glancing ahead at the service counter. His stomach dropped. Of course it was the same staff. The shorter, loud guy, who vaguely reminded him of a troll was taking orders, while the taller, scary looking guy, who had come to Yukwon’s aid like a knight in shining armour, was working the espresso machine. The other tall, goofy one was calling names out and making sure that the customers got their correct drinks. The line moved quickly, and Yukwon found himself at the counter giving his order before he’d had time to think about leaving. The guy didn’t give him a second glance and Yukwon’s confidence jumped, only to plummet as he gave his name. The intimidating guy turned to look at him and their eyes met for a moment, recognition sparking, before Yukwon ducked his head. Paying quickly, he moved to the pick up counter, and pulled his phone from his coat pocket, pretending to be occupied.

 

“Yukwon-shi.”

 

Yukwon looked, and cursed under his breath. Where had tall, goofy guy gone? Dropping his phone back into his pocket, he stepped up to the counter, focused determinedly on his coffee as he reached for it. The cup slipped in his sweaty hand, and god if he dropped it right now, his humiliation would be complete. It hit the counter upright and Yukwon clutched at it firmly with both hands, as though his life depended on it. He could feel the warmth spread across his cheeks and down his neck, as barista chuckled softly.

 

“Nice save!” Yukwon looked up and was met with a warm smile. Giving a weak smile in return he mumbled.

 

“Yeah thanks, and um, thanks.” He nodded his head stupidly at his drink.

 

“No problem. Next time don’t wait so long to come in again.”

 

“Oh, okay. Sure.” He nodded.

 

The chilly outside air was a relief to his burning face, as he hustled away from the cafe, taking a gulp of the coffee and sighing in bliss. It was good! Totally worth the humiliation. Twisting the cup in his hands, he noticed the writing on it.

 

Try to be like the turtle…at ease in your own shell.’ He murmured. Huh, cute. Instead of the same old smiley faces and love hearts, the staff must be trying something new, he thought. Smiling, he hummed as he sipped his coffee contentedly.

 

***

 

After that first time that Yukwon had slunk back into the cafe, Jiho stopped paying him any special attention. Obviously the guy was suffering some serious embarrassment. Instead, he would quietly make Yukwon’s order, writing whatever cute motivational phrase that he’d already picked out, then place it on the counter and call Yukwon’s name. Then he would step back behind the espresso machine and just enjoy the delighted smile on Yukwon’s face as he read it. He had quickly come to understand what Jihoon had meant by angel smile.

 

Today’s quote had been 'be a fruit loop in a world full of cheerios', and Yukwon had actually giggled when he’d read it. Jiho had only just managed to stop himself from cooing out loud, and at that moment he knew that his physical attraction to the man was turning into a full blown crush.  Every time he heard Yukwon’s voice at the counter placing his order, Jiho would look up to catch a glimpse of his face. And every time Yukwon smiled, one of his blinding ones, Jiho’s heart would beat that little bit faster.

 

The morning rush was over, and it was just him and Kyung. Jiho leant against the wall, phone in his hand as he googled new quotes to write on Yukwon’s coffees. Over the past few weeks, he’d already used every quote that he knew, because Yukwon had started coming in three to four times a week. So now he’d resorted to searching for cute quotes online, and how long he planned on keeping this up, Jiho didn’t know. It had become his thing, or possibly his and Yukwon’s thing. Though Yukwon never seemed to show much awareness of who was actually writing the quotes.  Jiho had picked up on a few things about Yukwon. Sweet, innocent, and completely and totally oblivious. Seemingly completely oblivious to his own attractiveness, and to other people's attraction.

 

Jiho stepped to the counter and picked up a napkin and a pen, as he swiped through the page.  Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss, you’ll be among the stars. Sweet. You’re gonna bee okay. ;) Boring. Don’t be eye candy, be soul food. Nice, but he didn’t want to give Yukwon the impression that he shouldn’t be eye candy, because he certainly gave Jiho something to look at every time he came in.

 

“What are you doing?” Kyung sidled up behind him, trying to see over his shoulder.

 

“Nothing that concerns you.” He elbowed Kyung away, while sliding the napkin out of his line of sight.

 

“Wow, best friends since forever and this is how you act?” Jiho rolled his eyes, Kyung possessed all the theatrics of a Kdrama chaebol step-mother.

 

“Secrecy? Lies?” Kyung clung to Jiho’s arm with both hands. “Have we really come to this?”

 

Exasperated, Jiho shook him off. “Tell me again for the one-thousandth time, why I am friends with you?”

 

Laughing, Kyung blew him a kiss. “You know you love me.” Looking past Jiho’s shoulder, he smiled. “Welcome to Block Bees Cafe, what can I get you?”

 

Jiho stepped out of the way, and waited until Kyung handed him the cup, then started fixing the coffee. As soon as the customer had left, Kyung whooped loudly.

 

“Who’s da man? Who is da man?” As Kyung started a victory dance in the confined space behind the counter, Jiho noticed the white napkin clutched in his hand. He took a step towards him, Kyung’s eyes widened and he scrambled under the flip counter to the customer side. It was not worth the effort to give chase, so Jiho crossed his arms and waited.

 

Kyung scanned the napkin, then looked up, perplexed. “This is what you’re hiding? Quotes?” Jiho could practically see his brain working, trying to decipher what it might mean. “I don’t get it.”

 

Jiho shrugged nonchalantly. “That’s because there’s nothing to get.”

 

Kyung’s eyes narrowed, and he stared at Jiho. “There is a mystery here, and I will figure it out.”

 

“Whatever. Can I have my quotes back now?”

 

***

 

The wind whipped at his winter coat as Yukwon shuffled to the door of the coffee shop and stepped into another world. Glorious warmth and the aroma of fresh coffee beans greeted him. Over the past few weeks Yukwon had fallen in love with this part of his morning routine. He unwound the scarf from around his throat, and stepped up to the counter.

 

“Hello, welcome to Block Bees!” The big goofy guy greeted him with a gummy smile.

 

“A large macchiato please.”

 

“Sure, Yukwon-shi right?” He said, as he was already writing on Yukwon’s cup, so it wasn’t really a question.

 

“Um, yeah.” Yukwon leaned forward as he was handing over the money and peered at the guys name badge. “Thanks Jihoon-shi.” Figuring if Jihoon had taken the time to learn his name, Yukwon could at least do the same. Jihoon gave him another huge gummy smile and handed his cup off to the loud troll, and Yukwon absently noted that the Mr tall and intimidating was missing.

 

The coffee was placed on the counter and Yukwon picked it up, turning it around to be greeted by a…smiley face? He frowned, staring at the cup for a moment, disconcerted. Sure, it was a nice smiley face but…he looked up and tentatively caught the eye of troll guy.

 

“Um, have you guys stopped writing the quotes?”

 

“Quotes?” The other parroted back at him bewildered.

 

“Um, don’t you guys write cute little motivational comments on your customer’s cups? Isn't it a thing here?” Jihoon had moved closer to listen to the conversation, and he looked just as confused as the troll. “We don’t-.” he started when the troll cut him off.

 

“Oh. Oh!  Those cute little motivational quotes! Sorry must have forgotten.” He quickly took Yukwon’s drink and scribbled on the side, while Jihoon watched him mystified, and then slid it back across the bench.

 

“There you go.” Yukwon looked at his cup, squinting to read the messy writing. Stupid is, as stupid does. He looked back up curiously. “Isn’t this from Forrest Gump?”

 

“Yeah…so? You wanted a quote, I gave you a quote.” Yukwon looked at his cup again. “Um. Okay, very inspiring. Thanks?” The troll’s eyes narrowed, and Yukwon stepped back instinctively. Was everybody scary in this coffee shop?

 

***

 

Kyung turned to Jihoon enthusiastically. “I am the man! Let me hear you say it Jihoonie…Kyung is the man! Yes. Yes. Yes!” Jiho was caught, and now it was time for Kuyung to have some fun.

 

“Jihoonie my wonderful Dongseang, you have just been promoted to the position of co-conspirator in my evil, yet well intentioned plot to get Jiho a date.” Now he just had to be a patient man and wait for the perfect opportunity.

 

That opportunity came a couple of days later when the redhead returned to the coffee shop for his usual. As soon as Kyung saw him walk through the door he waved frantically at Jihoon on the floor, from behind Jiho’s back. They had already talked out the plan, so Jihoon was expecting the signal, and glanced towards the door before quickly making his way to the counter. Kyung was grateful for the current line of customers, otherwise he wasn’t sure that they’d be able to pull this off. He sped up his order taking, so that Jiho was forced to focus only on making the drinks, and Jihoon was easily able to slip into the role of handing them out.

 

The redhead. Yukwon. Appeared at the counter and Kyung greeted him. “Large macchiato right? Yukwon-shi.” Surprised, Yukwon nodded, but Kyung barely paid him attention, instead solely focused on the way Jiho’s shoulders twitched and his head lifted briefly, eyes glancing in their direction before returning to filling the drink orders as quickly as possible. Unable to stop the evil smile, he wrote Yukwon’s name on a cup and lined it up behind the others.

 

Everything was falling into place perfectly in his diabolical plot, and he steepled his hands together smiling smugly, if only he had a white cat right now, he thought in glee. Turning back to Yukwon to take payment, he blinked. The redhead was staring at him uneasily, mouth hanging open a little in shock, or possibly horror, and perhaps he should tone it down a little he thought, as he smiled greasily at Yukwon, taking his payment.

 

Kyung continued to serve, as he kept watch out of the corner of his eye, trying not to be too obvious. Yukwon had moved to wait, Jiho had just picked up Yukwon’s cup and was making his coffee, and Jihoon was still handing out orders perfectly poised to play his part. While waiting for the coffee to brew, Jiho quickly scribbled something on the cup, and then finished it up, sliding it to Jihoon to lid it.

 

“Come on, you’re falling behind.” Kyung complained, placing more cups in the line up. Jiho glared at him, face on, before grabbing the next cup in line. Kyung glanced past him and watched as Jihoon, back slightly turned, quickly crossed out Jiho’s writing and scrawled the pre-designated pick up line underneath. One of his own personal favourites. Oh yeah, Kyung was the evil mastermind!

 

***

 

Yukwon had immediately escaped from the hectic, caffeine craving crowd, as soon as he’d got his hands on his cup. Hunching down further into his scarf, he quickly lifted his cup to read the quote, and furrowed his brows. He came to a halt, and stared. The first line of writing under his name had been crossed out, and a second line had been added underneath, Are you a parking ticket? Because you’ve got fine written all over you. That definitely sounded more like a pick up line, than a motivational quote. Not that Yukwon had a lot of experience with pick up lines. Shaking his head, he filed it away under weird happenings, and quickly forgot about it.

 

Until two days later, when Yukwon stopped in for coffee again. That day his cup read. Did you sit in a pile of sugar, cause you have a pretty sweet . Yukwon had hurriedly left the café, ears burning. No mistaking that one. Definitely a pick up line. Maybe they’d just run out of quotes, and were now using pick up lines. After all, with the amount of customers frequenting the place, they were bound to run out. It made sense.

 

It was busy again, he was sure that the place was getting more popular. People fidgeted impatiently in line, before moving to swarm around the pick up counter like sheep. Ordering his usual from Kyung, Yukwon shuffled with the other customers, to stand aimlessly at the other end. Brought out of his stupor by the ringtone of his phone, Yukwon pulled it from his pocket glancing at the screen. Work. He sighed, he hadn’t even had his caffeine yet. Swiping the screen he answered.

 

“Hello.”

 

Yukwon’s name was called, and distracted he pushed his way up to the counter picking up the first cup he saw. Already halfway down the block, after a lot of ‘yes sirs’ and ‘I will do better sirs’ Yukwon finally hung up with his manager, sighing in a mixture of frustration and relief. Mr Park was his immediate manager, and Yukwon quite often spent his days fetching the man coffee, collecting his dry-cleaning or listening to him rant. Yukwon detested him.

 

Yukwon took a mouthful of coffee. The bitter taste was a surprise, but not a pleasant one. He coughed, and only narrowly stopped himself from spitting the liquid onto the pavement. He looked at the cup, the name on it was Sungkyu. It had a smiley face beneath it. How could anyone drink straight espresso?  Just the aftertaste lingering on his tongue had him screwing his face up in distaste.

 

Should he go back? Was the risk of his manager’s displeasure worth his macchiato? Maybe he could make it palatable by adding sugar and milk once he got to work. Sighing he looked at the cup again, and slowly blinked in realisation. A name and a smiley face. And nothing else! Perplexed, Yukwon continued to gaze at the coffee in his hand, as though the longer he stared at it the more likely an answer would arise.

 

“Yukwon-shi!” Still frowning, Yukwon turned. It was Jihoon, cup in hand. “Yukwon-shi, I’m so sorry, you have the wrong coffee.” Jihoon puffed at him, and he figured that Jihoon must have run the half a block to catch him.

 

“No.” He replied automatically. “It’s my fault, I wasn’t paying attention.” Eyeing the new cup Yukwon could already see that there was more written than just his name. They swapped, and Jihoon grinned at him widely. “Have a good day Yukwon-shi!”

 

Yukwon looked. There must be a light-switch on my forehead, because every time I see you, you ! Nope, his brain couldn’t cope with this right now. Taking a gulp of liquid, Yukwon resumed his rushed walk to work.

 

***

It was Saturday morning, and Yukwon had set himself a mission. Yawning, he rolled out of his cozy, warm bed, and dressed in jeans and a comfortable oversized hoodie. Washing his face and finger combing his hair, he looked at himself in the mirror, and shrugged. There was no one he had to impress.  Bundling up in his winter coat, Yukwon exited his apartment before the lure of returning to bed became too strong to resist.

 

The Seoul winter winds had buffeted him on the short walk from his apartment to the café, blowing his hair into an even worse disarray, and whipping at his coat wildly. By the time Yukwon stepped inside the cafe, he was shivering and warm air of the coffee house burned against his cold cheeks.

 

Walking further in, Yukwon glanced around. It was quiet, just a few customers seated at tables enjoying a respite from the winter weather, and he supposed most people were sleeping in, after all that’s what he would normally be doing. There was one other person in the line, and Yukwon stood behind them. It was just the one staff member serving this morning, the scary one that had helped him when Yerim had thrown her fit, and her drink. His knight in shining armor. Tall, and intimidating, with an intense expression, that made Yukwon feel a little uncomfortable, though mre likely that was the remnants of his humiliation lingering in his mind. He’d not paid the guy much attention, he was always just a silent shadow who made Yukwon’s coffee to perfection.

 

Intently, he watched as the guy grabbed a cup, asked for the customer’s name and quickly scribbled it on the outside. It was too quick. There was no way he’d written anything else on the cup. Yukwon didn’t even think that he’d drawn a smiley face. Finished with the previous customer, the guy turned to face Yukwon. He smiled.

 

“Hey.” He said casually. “Don’t usually see you here on the weekend Yukwon-shi.” Wow, did everyone know his name here? The guy was already reaching for a cup, and starting to write. Yukwon cleared his throat.

 

“Ah, no. I’m usually still in bed. Haha!” The guy nodded, still writing on the cup.

 

“Your usual?” Yukwon nodded, realised that the guy wasn’t looking, and answered.

 

“Yeah, thanks.” Leaning closer, he read the name tag murmuring it out loud. “Jiho-shi.”  Jiho looked him, a smile brightening his face, and Yukwon felt the tips of his ears begin to burn. Why did he look so pleased?

 

Jiho, as Yukwon would now think of him, moved behind the espresso machine and began to make his drink. “So, special plans today? Is that why you’re out early?” Yukwon shook his head.

 

“No. I just felt like getting out of my apartment, and I really like this place, it's relaxing.” Jiho hummed in acknowledgement. “There’s something calming about just sitting somewhere cosy with a hot drink, and watching the world go by.”

 

“Yeah.” Yukwon was still standing at the payment counter, when Jiho finished making his coffee.

 

“On the house.” Jiho said handing him the cup.” Flustered, it took Yukwon a moment to protest.

 

“What? No. Why?” He stuttered as he started to fumble his wallet out of his jacket pocket.

 

Jiho held up a hand. “Seriously, I mean it. I heard that there was a bit of a mix up with your drink the other day.”

 

But that had been his fault. “But that was my fault. I picked up the wrong cup.” Jiho shrugged like that meant nothing.

 

“No really, rewarding me for acting dumb is stupid! I do dumb things like that all the time, you’ll only be encouraging me.”

 

Jiho laughed. “Yeah, I’ve noticed, but it’s cute. I’m happy to encourage it.” Yukwon blinked. Was he joking?

 

“Go and enjoy your coffee Yukwon-shi. Before it gets cold.”

 

“Thanks.” Yukwon moved away from the counter towards an empty table next to the large front windows. It had started raining, and a sea of umbrellas weaved to and fro on the sidewalk. Out of the corner of his eye he checked that he no longer had Jiho’s attention, before looking to see what was on his cup. Life is like a sewer…what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. He giggled.

 

So it was Jiho. It made sense, now that Yukwon knew. No doubt he’d felt sorry for Yukwon after that scene. Had started with the motivational quotes as something to cheer him up. And it had worked in a way. Yukwon had appreciated reading them, they’d made him laugh on more than one occasion. Yukwon didn’t know whether he should feel embarrassed, or flattered at someone like Jiho showing him special attention. Probably both. Sipping his coffee, he stared out the window absently. This did not explain the pick up lines though. Jiho wrote the quote, but then the quote was then crossed out, and a pick up line written underneath. It had to be Jihoon, because he handled the cups after Jiho. Why though?

 

Yukwon's eyes wandered to Jiho standing behind the counter on his phone, as he mulled over the question. Did Jiho know? Were they all colluding in some kind of joke at Yukwon’s expense? Jiho cracked a smile just then, eyes crinkling and whatever he was looking at on his phone must have been amusing. Yukwon pursed his lips thoughtfully. He just couldn’t see it. Jiho and Jihoon just didn’t seem like the kind of people to find amusement at other people’s expense. Kyung though…Yukwon wasn’t so confident.

 

Jiho’s wide grin disappeared, and was replaced with a soft, warm smile. Taking a sip of his coffee, Yukwon wondered what it was that would bring that expression to his face. Glancing up to Jiho’s eyes, he choked. Jiho was looking at him. The mouthful of coffee caught in his throat, and he began coughing harshly. Grabbing his napkin, he held it to his mouth and twisted to face the window, trying his best not to spit up the coffee in front of Jiho. His eyes watered and Yukwon gasped air as he finally got his choking under control. Face burning, and utterly mortified, Yukwon sat motionless for a moment, wallowing in his misery.

 

“Hey. Are you okay?” There was the sound of a chair scraping and then Jiho was sitting opposite him, pushing a glass of water across the table.

 

“I’m fine.” Yukwon whispered hoarsely. “It went down the wrong way.”

 

“Yeah, no kidding. There was a moment that I thought I’d have to phone for an ambulance.” Yukwon cringed.

 

“What did I tell you about doing dumb things.” He mumbled, gratefully taking a small sip of the water.

 

Jiho laughed. “You sure weren’t joking about that.”

 

Yukwon glanced up. Jiho’s eyes were bright with mirth, but he didn’t feel offended. He was sure that Jiho was laughing with him…so to speak. An opportunity had just fallen into his lap, and there was no way he could make a bigger fool of himself, so...

 

“I wanted to say thanks by the way.” Yukwon said, changing the topic. He turned his cup, so that the writing faced Jiho. “For these. Every time I read one it makes me smile.” Jiho was silent for a moment, then lifted his shoulders like it was no big deal.

 

“I just wanted to show you some support, Yukwon-shi.”

 

Frowning, Yukwon shifted his gaze to the table. “I must have looked pretty pathetic, huh?”

 

“Honestly, the only one who looked pathetic was the girl. You just seemed like you didn’t belong with someone like that.” He lifted his head, and Jiho met his gaze evenly.

 

“Yerim and I started dating in high school. She was the first girl to show interest in me.” He sighed. “We probably should have broken up a long time ago, but it was comfortable, I guess.”

 

“Please tell me that is not why you started dating her? Because she was the first person to show interest?”

 

Yukwon ducked his head in embarrassment, knowing he was giving a silent confirmation.

 

“How can someone who looks like you do, be so self-conscious and shy?” He looked up again, staring at Jiho in confusion. What did that mean? Was that like a rhetorical question? Did Jiho expect a reply? Yukwon was saved by the door.

 

“Yo! Boss man, where you at?” They both turned to look at Kyung as he entered. When he saw them, his hands flew to his mouth. Though his expression quickly changed from shock to a leer. “Don’t let me disturb you two.”

 

Sighing a sigh of someone long put upon, Jiho stood. “Put your grease away Kyung.” He glanced back at Yukwon.

 

“It was nice talking to you Yukwon-shi. You should come in more often on the weekends.” Yukwon nodded in acknowledgment, and watched as Jiho sauntered to the counter. When Kyung got in range, Jiho reached out and smacked him on the back of the head. There was an audible yah from Kyung as they disappeared into the back area. Yukwon hastily beat a retreat while the coast was clear.

 

***

 

Kyung’s patience was wearing thin. When he’d arrive for his shift on Saturday, and saw Jiho and Yukwon sitting at a table together, he’d done an internal fist pump. Congratulating himself on his successful plan, because he sure wasn’t going to get any thanks from Jiho. Certain that they’d be getting it on within a couple of days, so when Monday rolled around, and there was Yukwon in line for his morning coffee, Kyung watched them both waiting for the goo-eyed looks. Nothing.  Well nothing more than Jiho throwing a couple glances Yukwon’s way. Yukwon was oblivious, and Kyung couldn’t help but wonder if there was blonde under that red hair colour. There was no pick up line on Yukwon’s cup that day. He’d already told Jihoon that the master plan had worked.

 

Kyung found Jihoon after the morning rush. “Did you see that Jihoonie? That redhead pabo has no idea!” Slumping onto the table Jihoon was clearing, he pouted up at the younger man.

 

“Don’t call him a pabo, Hyung.” Throwing the paper cups into his tray, Jihoon wiped the table, shoving his wet cloth into Kyung’s face.

 

“Ewww! Don’t do that to your Hyung! And he is a pabo.” He reared back up and scowled at Jihoon.

 

“And Jiho? Why doesn’t he just make a move?”

 

“Maybe, we’re wrong. Maybe Jiho Hyung doesn’t like Yukwon-shi.” Jihoon finished wiping down the whole tabletop.

 

“But why would he write things on the guy’s cup if he didn’t like him.”

 

Jihoon shrugged. “Just being nice. It was pretty awful, and I know that he felt sorry for Yukwon.”

 

For a few moments Kyung pondered Jihoon’s words. Maybe he was wrong. Since Kyung had known him Jiho’s preference had been for people who were edgier, quite often in the rap scene like himself, and he had rarely hesitated in going after someone he was interested in. But Yukwon was the complete opposite of Jiho’s normal type, and with Jiho’s lack of action...? He shook his head.

 

“No. I know Jiho. There’s a motive there, and the only one that fits is him liking the cutie pie.” Though maybe he should just test the waters, Kyung thought. Just to be sure that his masterful scheming wasn't going to waste on a lost cause.

 

After the lunch rush, Kyung casually sauntered into the break room, where Jiho was eating, and nonchalantly leaned against the wall by the door.

 

“So that Yukwon guy…he’s pretty cute right?” Jiho didn’t glance up from his ramen. “Why? You interested?” He mumbled through a mouthful of noodles. Kyung thought for a moment. “Give him a pair of s and a , and I might be.”

 

Jiho lifted his head, eyebrow raised. Shrugging, Kyung defended his comment. “What? You’ve seen that mouth. Perfect for .”

 

Jiho’s gaze darkened slightly, his mouth twisting into a frown. Bingo! Kyung could read Jiho like a book.

 

“You don’t think so?”

 

“Shut up Kyung.” Jiho growled.

 

“Oooh, protective. Anything that I should know?”

 

Jiho started to stand, and Kyung blanched.

 

“Eh. Is that a customer? Got to go.” The counter was empty, apart from Jihoon fluffing with the pastry display. Kyung leaned into him and whispered. “Be prepared for tomorrow. The master plan is back on!” Jihoon just sighed wearily.

 

***

 

Tuesday morning saw Kyung bouncing at the counter like the energiser bunny on speed. Every time the door opened he would look for red hair, only to be disappointed, and Jiho was starting to throw some questioning glances his way. It was getting past Yukwon’s usual time and as the morning rushed eased, Kyung was beginning to think that he wasn’t coming in that day.

 

Suddenly Yukwon was in front of him, black beanie covering his hair, and Kyung admired his cunning deception. He smiled but his eyes darted to the floor looking for Jihoon. Dammit, he was halfway across the room clearing a table with his back to them. What to do! Yukwon was waiting to give his order, his expression slightly anxious as he glanced at his watch.

 

Kyung took a deep breath...and let out a girlish, high pitched scream. Jihoon whipped around to look at him, as did everyone else in the café. Yukwon’s eyes were wide, his mouth open, and Jiho was looking at him like he needed to be locked away…permanently. All eyes on him, Kyung flushed in embarrassment, and okay, maybe he hadn’t quite thought this one through to the end.

 

“Um…spider?” He called out weakly. From the corner of his eye, he saw Jihoon making his way to the counter. Thank god! At least the kid had realised what that was about.

 

“The Kyung?” Jiho whispered from beside him, before getting back to making drinks. People quickly lost interest, and Kyung took a cup, writing Yukwon’s name. Originally the plan had been to flirt with Yukwon a little and poke Jiho’s jealousy buttons, but Kyung felt too humiliated. The things he did for his best friend. He took Yukwon’s payment, while Yukwon continued to eye him warily, before moving down the counter.

 

The pick up line was, you’re so hot that if you ate a piece of bread, you’d poop out toast! Jihoon thought it was crass. Kyung loved it! Intently he watched as Yukwon picked up his coffee and crossed the floor towards the exit. Yes! He was reading it! Yukwon stopped, and turned back towards the counter. Catching Kyung’s eye instantly, he frowned. Kyung immediately started re-arranging the wrapped cookies sitting in their basket. When he looked up again Yukwon was gone.

 

Kyung cornered Jihoon once Jiho had left on an emergency milk run. “Okay. What the hell did you write?” Jihoon fiddled with the napkins, not looking up.

 

“What do you mean Hyung? I wrote a line.” Kyung narrowed his eyes. Jihoon was being evasive.

 

Kyung glared. “A line? What line? Not the line that we decided on?” Jihoon was starting to sweat. Kyung knew that he would crack within the next ten seconds. Hardened criminal, Jihoon was not.

 

“You can’t lie to me, I know you didn’t write what we agreed on. His reaction was too unexpected for that.” Jihoon’s shoulders slumped.

 

“That pick up line was so crass Hyung! And Yukwon-shi is so sweet. I couldn’t do it.”

 

“So what did you write?”

 

“Love is being dumb together.”Jihoon said proudly.  Kyung made gagging noises. Whatever, he thought, it might just work.

 

***

 

Saturday had come round again, and this time it was Kyung’s turn to open. Slumped on the counter, he sipped his coffee while he waited for the first customers of the morning, Jiho would be in soon enough, always coming in before the start of his shift.

 

Kyung stood up straight, blinking in surprise. There was red hair in the doorway, and was that who he thought it was? Moments later Yukwon tumbled through the door followed by a blast of cold air. He glanced around briefly before his eyes rested on Kyung. Hesitating for a moment, he seemed to come to a decision and walked to the counter. What have we here, Kyung thought?

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hey. Your usual Yukwon-shi?” Kyung leaned on the counter and offered his greasiest smile.

 

“Yes, but I want to ask you something first.”

 

Kyung spread his hands wide. “I am all ears.” Yukwon glanced around the café again, then back at Kyung,  fiddling with the drawstrings on his hoodie. 

 

“Why are you and Jihoon-shi crossing out Jiho-shi’s quotes and writing pick up lines on my orders?” Yukwon blurted out the sentence so quickly that Kyung could barely pick out the individual words.

 

“I’m not sure that I know what you mean, Yukwon-shi.” Kyung smirked. Yukwon pursed his lips, brow wrinkling. And he really did have the perfect lips for . It would be Kyung’s new requirement for all his future girlfriends, to have lips just like that.

 

“I’ve seen you two doing it, I just want to know why?”

 

Kyung lifted one shoulder in casual nonchalance. “As far as I’m aware Jiho is the only one who writes anything on your coffee.” He took a cup and moved behind the espresso to start Yukwon’s macchiato.

 

“Jiho-shi doesn’t write pick up lines on my coffee! And he certainly doesn’t think that I have a sweet !” Yukwon fired back in annoyance, his face flushing red.

 

“Guess again cutie pie. He thinks your is-.” The front door opened, and Jiho swept in letting another gust of frigid air into the room. Kyung and Yukwon both froze, like kids caught with their hands in the cookie jar, and Kyung wondered if his own expression looked as guilty as Yukwon’s. It only took a second for Jiho to cross the space. He slid past Kyung at the espresso machine to stand opposite Yukwon.

 

“Morning Yukwon-shi. Kyung.” He greeted while studying them both intently. There was no way he wouldn’t notice Yukwon’s red face. Kyung cursed inwardly. Talk about ty timing! Yukwon looked like a deer caught in the headlights, as he stuttered out a small greeting. Why not just put a sign on his forehead declaring guilty, Kyung thought in annoyance.

 

“Morning Jiho.” Kyung said casually. “I’ve got everything under control here. Go put your things away.” Jiho’s eyes narrowed. Oops! Too obvious. Kyung ignored the look as he lidded Yukwon’s cup. He shifted to the collection counter, putting some space between himself and Jiho, and grabbed a pen. A plan already formed.

 

“Ah Yukwon-shi, I’ll write the address for that music store that I was telling you about on your cup.”

 

Jiho glanced between them again. “Music store?”

 

Kyung had his answer ready. “That one in Dongdaemun that we like.”

 

Eyebrow raised, Jiho looked at Kyung. “The underground rap one?” Kyung nodded.

 

Jiho turned back to Yukwon, while Kyung scribbled frantically on the cup. “You like underground rap?”

 

“Um. Yes?” The question was clear in his tone, and now Kyung wanted to throw his macchiato on him. He was starting to sympathise with the ex-girlfirend.

 

“Yukwon-shi. Your coffee is ready.”

 

Yukwon appeared in front of him. Leaning in he hissed. “I haven’t paid!”

 

“I don’t care!” Kyung hissed back. Yukwon took the coffee, gave Jiho a weak smile and spun on his heel almost running for the door.

 

Kyung turned to Jiho, grinning innocently. “Ready for a coffee?”

 

***

Once again Yukwon found himself lurking in front of Block Bees Cafe, having yet another internal debate on the possible humiliating consequences of what he was about to do. He felt vaguely queasy as he hugged his work satchel to his chest, protectively. Shuffling closer to the large front windows, he tried to casually peer through into the shop to see whether Jiho was at the counter.

 

There weren’t many customers inside, which is probably why Jiho had the time to be gazing around. Their eyes met, and Jiho’s face registered surprise. Really! Yukwon thought, as he spun away from the window, and hopped to the far side of the footpath out of Jiho’s sight. Seriously! He could feel the flush spread across his face and down his neck, and how could he possibly go in now? No doubt Jiho thought he was some kind of weirdo stalker. Pressing his forehead against a pole, Yukwon berated himself under his breath for the next couple of minutes, while he waited for his blush to recede.

 

“Hi Yukwon-shi. Are you coming in today?” Yukwon twisted slightly so that he could see out of the corner of his eye. Jihoon stood in the doorway, grinning at him in an all too knowing way, that made Yukwon feel hot and anxious. “By the way, I don’t think that you want to be leaning on that pole. I saw some kids having a peeing contest on it last week.” He said cheerily.

 

Yukwon jerked his head away from the pole in disgust, rubbing at his forehead vigorously with his jacket sleeve.

 

“How did you know that I was out here?” Jihoon’s grin got even bigger.

 

“Oh, Jiho Hyung sent me out to get you.”

 

Oh that was just great! Seconds ticked by as he stared at Jihoon, mind searching for an excuse to not enter, but he never had been a quick thinker when it came to lying. Before he knew it, Jihoon was at his side, taking his arm and leading him back to the door.

 

“Come in Yukwon Hyung. Can I call you Hyung? I’m sure that you must be older than me, always dressed in suits. I bet you have a proper adult job, not like working in a cafe.” Jihoon’s blather barely registered in Yukwon’s brain as he opened the door and pulled Yukwon through. Like being led through the doorway to hell, and Yukwon’s stomach continued to churn uncomfortably.

 

Jihoon let go of his arm, and pushed him towards the counter, making Yukwon realise that he’d stalled just inside the doorway. Jiho stood on the other side, watching him curiously. Yukwon stared resolutely at the menu board above Jiho’s head. Where was the annoying troll? There was no one at the counter but Jiho, even Jihoon had walked off to clear tables. When Yukwon got there, it would just be him and Jiho. He wanted to vomit, but forced himself to move forward instead.

 

“Morning Yukwon-shi.” Jiho greeted warmly. “Your usual?” Yukwon nodded and gave him a sickly smile of greeting in return as he stepped up to the counter. He watched Jiho from underneath his bangs, he’d never studied Jiho’s face closely before. He did have a big nose, but it suited his face Yukwon thought. Intense eyes. When he wasn’t smiling his expression rested at almost angry. It was why Yukwon had found him so intimidating during their first interaction, and ever since really. That and the fact that he was half a head taller than Yukwon. But when he smiled, his expression was warm, and welcoming, and it made Yukwon’s heart beat a little faster.

 

“-Yukwon-shi?” Yukwon blinked. Immediately the flush spread across his cheeks again. “Ah, yes?” Jiho’s hand was outstretched, and Yukwon stared at it dumbly for a moment. “Oh, you want money. I mean of course you want money, you’re not giving your coffee away are you? Well except for that one time. Haha-.” Yukwon trailed off, as Jiho’s eyebrows practically rose to his hairline. He opened his satchel, and quickly fumbled for his wallet, his hand brushing against the cup nestled inside. It taunted him from it’s hiding place, and sent his stomach churning violently again. Was he really going to do this?

 

Sliding his bank card out of his wallet, Yukwon wanted to cry when it slipped through his sweaty fingers and fell to the floor. Could he make a bigger fool of himself right now? How Jiho could possibly be interested in him? It was something he’d turned over and over in his mind the past couple of days, and he still couldn’t come up with a solid answer. It was a joke, Kyung was having a laugh at his expense. Ducking to scoop up his card, Yukwon held it against the terminal.

 

Jiho cleared his throat, and Yukwon looked at him. “Is everything alright Yukwon-shi? You seem a little anxious.”

 

“Everything’s fine. Better than fine. Great in fact-“ Yukwon trailed off when Jiho’s brows started to rise again.

 

“Um, I’m just going to wait.” He flapped his hand vaguely at the other end of the counter and shuffled down. Yukwon put his wallet back into his satchel, and once again his gaze was drawn to the cup. The cup that Kyung had used to confess Jiho’s alleged (because Yukwon wasn’t a hundred percent convinced) feelings. Even though he’d already memorised the words with the amount of times that he’d read it over the past couple of days, he still found himself reaching into his satchel, and turning the cup until he could read it again.

 

This is a confession on behalf of big nose, who has a crush on you but thinks you’re unattainable because; a. You’ve just broken up with your girlfriend, and b. You had a girlfriend! Is he right?

 

Underneath Yukwon had written no, because no Jiho wasn’t right, Yukwon was very attainable, at least for him, and below that he'd written his phone number. Yukwon sighed. It had seemed like a good idea at the time, cute and sweet, but now he wasn’t so sure. Now it just seemed corny and presumptious. Both possibilities; that he could end up on a date with Jiho…or that he’d never be able to show his face again in what had become his favourite coffee shop, were nerve-racking.

 

“Yukwon-shi.” Jiho slid the coffee towards him, and Yukwon gave him a small half-hearted smile in thanks. As was his routine, he turned the cup until he could read what was written. Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss, you’ll be among the stars. Yukwon read the words again, his hand sliding into his satchel and clutching the cup. So what if he had to find another coffee shop after this, at least he would have done it. Yukwon looked up, ready to get Jiho’s attention, but Jiho was already watching him. He pulled out the cup and placed it on the counter, pushing it towards the other man, but his courage only held as long as it took Jiho to reach for the cup, then Yukwon grabbed his own coffee, and bolted.

 

Laughing out loud, Yukwon burst out onto the sidewalk, giddy. He drew a number of glances from people around him, but he shrugged them off. He felt elated! He’d done it! Did it matter that he’d have to find a new coffee shop after today? That was something he’d worry about tomorrow. Sipping his coffee, he strolled towards his building in the crisp winter morning, humming softly. Today, he’d shot for the moon and he was content with that.

 

His phone vibrated, and Yukwon pulled from his pocket. It was a message from an unknown number. Surprised, he stared. No way was it Jiho. It hadn’t even been five minutes since he’d left the coffee shop. He opened it.  

 

One of the few occasions that I am completely happy that I was totally wrong. See you tomorrow. Jiho.

 

***

 

Kyung tapped his foot impatiently, glaring at the couple in the corner. They were so sweet together, it was like eating a spoonful of sugar. It made him want to gag. Jihoon sidled up next to him. “Jiho Hyung and Yukwon Hyung are so cute. Don’t you think so?” Kyung huffed.

 

“When it’s already half an hour past my end of shift, but I can’t leave because my co-manager is too busy canoodling with his little cutie pie-.” He drew a breath. “The answer is no, I don’t think it’s sweet!” His yell drawing the attention of the couple.

 

Yukwon smiled at him innocently, waving, and it was hard to stay mad in the face of such sweetness. It felt wrong, like kicking a puppy. Kyung crossed his arms and turned his scowl onto Jiho, who smirked at him from behind Yukwon’s back. Now that he could stay angry at! Jihoon’s arm settled on his shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry Hyung, Jiho Hyung owes you big time.”

 

Jihoon was right, and Kyung began to imagine all the ways that he'd be able to use his new found leverage. His grin was pure evil...

 

End