final

movie star

“So?” Seungyoon gave a cheeky smile to his older member. “Tell me who you’re looking at.”

Jinwoo almost fell from the seat that he was on if it wasn’t for Seungyoon pushing him back into place. He shook his head furiously, annoyed that the young man could even dare to suggest such a thing. He looked around nervously, wondering if any managers were in sight and sighed in relief when there wasn’t. Luckily enough, only Mino seemed to be in the room with them; and his headphones stuck to his ears.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Jinwoo groaned, eyes and hands hurrying back to the magazine to his front.

Oh, that’s a pretty nice shirt.

“Yeah right.” The younger man scoffed and pointed to the TV screen above them. “You’ve been staring intently at that little box for over 15 minutes. So? Who is it that you find attractive?”

“I swear, Seungyoon. No one.” Jinwoo sighed but his mind quickly recalled a past memory. “Don’t lump me in with the likes of you.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“I still can’t believe you answered ‘Red Velvet’ for the group you most wanted to get close to.” The former rolled his eyes. “The President won’t be too happy at that.”

“But it’s the truth and I’m an honest person.” Seungyoon whined. “Besides, they’re really nice people!”

“Sure.”

“So who is it?” He chuckled, rubbing shoulders against the other. An annoyed expression quickly made its’ way onto Jinwoo’s face. “Irene? Seulgi?”

“None.”

Seungyoon didn’t give up. “Joy? Wendy?”

“I said none.”

“The whole group?”

“…None.”

This time he frowned. “You’re no fun.”

“It’s Wendy.” Mino, whom they thought couldn’t hear their conversation, interrupted. “He never reacts when it comes to her.”

“Oh?” Seungyoon smirked mischievously. “None, huh?”

A blush crept onto his cheeks and he shook his head furiously again. Jinwoo glared at the once silent young man who now also had the same expression as Seungyoon.

He glared accusingly, “You! I thought you couldn’t hear us!”

“I couldn’t.” Mino corrected the older one. “Until someone decided to be all noisy. And it’s the truth anyway.”

“What’s the truth?” Seunghoon came out of nowhere.

This is a drag.

“Jinwoo likes Wendy.” Seungyoon and Mino said at the same time.

The three saw Seunghoon’s face fell and silence suddenly enveloped the whole room. Upon realising that something was amiss, Mino hesitantly asked.

“Y-You like her too or something?”

Seunghoon tilted his head in confusion, then laughed. Seeing that no one laughed with him, the man trailed awkwardly before running his fingers through his hair.

“I don’t like her.” He clarified but his heartstrings pulled when he saw relief spreading through Jinwoo’s face. “Someone else does though.”

“Who?” Seungyoon nosily questioned, annoyed that his older member’s dreams were already not off to a good start.

How are you so confident though?” Mino was annoyed too but kept his cool unlike the younger one.

Seunghoon pursed his lips warily as he continued looking straight at Jinwoo.

“Erm, I may or may not have seen it?” He answered but the impatient looks he received prompted him to go on. “I kinda saw someone trying pick-up lines on her.”

“Pick-up lines?” Mino made a face. “Who the hell still uses pick-up lines?”

“Also, there’s no way Wendy would fall for such a thing… right?” Seungyoon turned for reassurance from the older one but his entire being was stoic.

“She… kinda did?”

“All right, fine.” Mino raised his hands in defeat. “So? Who’s the loser that stole her heart before Jinwoo can?”

“Like I said guys, I don’t like Wen-” Jinwoo was about to finish his sentence but got interrupted.

“It was Mark! GOT7’s Mark!” Seunghoon flailed around, feeling horrible with himself.

He didn’t wanted to be the bearer of bad news but the situation was just what it is. He felt bad about it too seeing how both groups were actually on good terms with each other.

“Oh…” Mino clearly looked taken aback. “Mark huh…”

“That’s rough.” Seungyoon turned worriedly towards Jinwoo. “I mean… Mark…”

“Mark’s a nice person.” Jinwoo smiled, although it strangely didn’t reach his ears. “They’d be cute together. And think about it, they both could speak in English and-”

“And?” The three members looked on in expectation.

“And that’s that.” Jinwoo frowned back. “Like I said, I don’t like Wendy. Sure, she’s attractive and really nice but that’s it. Let’s not talk about this ever again, okay?”

They nodded but each one knew he had been lying.

It was so darn obvious too; or why in the world wouldn’t he be able to finish his sentence earlier?


It was in a shared holding room that Jinwoo realised he probably shouldn’t have lied about his feelings.

There were a couple of other artists there as well but his eyes remained on one particular group. s, in the meantime, were oblivious to the fact that he was just sitting there quietly and it wasn’t until she took a seat next to him that they started to freak out.

This won’t go too well, Seunghoon thought horribly.

“Water?” She passed a water bottle to him.

Jinwoo warily stared at her hands before accepting it graciously. He found that he couldn’t meet her eyes but when he did, all he saw was kindness staring down at him. The man gulped and quickly drank the water down in a shot.

”Thanks.” He muttered thankfully.

Wendy simply smiled and she relaxed, comfortable from his company. The waiting room was in a chaos, with stylists running here and there to make sure the artists looked fine for the concert later.

“So,” Jinwoo’s voice snapped her back to reality. “Why aren’t you with your members?”

Wendy laughed, amused that he finally spoke to her.

The truth was, she did become pretty close with the rest of the Winner members but there was just one she couldn’t talk comfortably too. It wasn’t because she disliked him or anything but the girl had always felt that he was avoiding her.

But then again, the man did avoided the rest of her group members too, so she just simply thought of it as him being shy with the opposite gender.

In fact, Wendy can’t seem to recall if he ever did spoke to the other female artists.

“They’re still busy doing their make-up.” Wendy finally answered his question. “You? Why aren’t you with your members?”

“I needed a rest.” Jinwoo uttered softly, leaving Wendy to laugh harder.

I’ve always loved the way you laughed… wait, what?

“From them?” She asked again.

“They’re noisy.” The man made a face. “Sometimes it’s good to just let them do their own thing.”

“Wendy!” Irene called out to her as she made her way to the younger woman. Upon seeing the company she had, her gaze shifted uncomfortably and she gave a small smile. “Oh, hi, Jinwoo.”

The man waved to her and Irene finally gave a genuine smile. To be honest, having a same aged friend in the industry while you’re new had been comforting to her; even if she wasn’t that close to the young man. Also, she did hear rumours…

“The stylist wants to do a last check on your hair.” Irene turned to Wendy who quickly scrambled out from her seat. “You’d better hurry.”

“Right. Okay!” Wendy nodded, not before turning to Jinwoo. “It was nice talking to you!”

He urged for her to go on and was surprised when it was Irene’s turn to take a seat next to him. He felt her suspicious eyes on his figure and when he finally turned to face her, the girl asked him a question that made him choke back on his saliva.

“You like her, right?”

He felt his whole face burning up and the man just stared awkwardly to his front. He made no moves to deny what she said, leaving Irene to grin widely.

“I knew it.” Irene remarked softly. “You’re always just staring at her…”

“J-Just a crush.” Jinwoo stammered as he gulped down more water from earlier. “Not a big deal.”

There was silence and the man cautiously looked up to see why his company had went quiet. He saw how she pursed her lips awkwardly, and he followed her line of sight to a particular young man.

Jinwoo then chuckled softly. “No need to get awkward you know.”

“Sorry.” Irene apologised. “It was a sensitive question to ask.”

When he offered no response, the latter began scratching her head, perplexed at the situation she found herself in.

“He’s… A good man.”

“I know.” Jinwoo smiled and she felt her heart ache. “Of course I do. I know him well.”

Irene continued looking at Mark’s figure who was a few feet away from her.

“He makes her happy.”

“That, I know too.”

She makes him happy.”

“… Of course. I’ve heard all about it from him.”

Irene frowned. “I’m sorry.”

This time, Jinwoo shook his head and started laughing. “Why?”

“If one day…” She trailed off softly. “If one day, it turns out that it’s fated, I’ll start rooting for you. But for now…”

The man stretched himself, as though tired from listening to the former’s words. He stood up and in reassurance, began to pat her on her shoulders.

But the weight of his reassurance didn’t went unnoticed. In fact, it only made her feel worse; as he was a good man.

“For now, I’m rooting for them too.” Jinwoo muttered for her ears only.

It was then Irene realised, the man didn’t just liked Wendy; he was in love with her.

Unbeknownst to the two, the three Winner members could only look on in despair.


“And then!” Jackson waved his hands excitedly. “He got jealous!”

It was a concert overseas and both Winner and GOT7 shared the same holding rooms.

Jinwoo looked on in amusement as the younger one began telling of Mark’s insecurities. He could feel Seungyoon’s eyes staring worriedly at him but decided to ignore it in case something would happen.

“I wasn’t jealous.” Jinwoo heard Mark grumble and his eyes refocused on his figure.

“Sure you weren’t.” Jaebum, who had been sitting beside Jinwoo, had put his arms around the man’s shoulder. “Did you know? Apparently, he read some fanfiction regarding you and Wendy too.”

Jinwoo flinched but managed to plaster on a fake smile anyway. Mino, in the meanwhile, felt the need to change the subject but he didn’t know how.

You met Wendy at a bookstore.” Jinyoung offered some background story. “And started to fall in love over Harry Potter.”

“L-Luckily he doesn’t like Harry Potter.” Mino stammered but no one except the Winner members realised his stammer.

“Don’t patronise him.” Jaebum pointed an accusing finger at . “You were shipped with her too.”

“Right.” Jinyoung laughed before turning to the supposed boyfriend in question. “And Mark wasn’t too happy from that.”

Mark only rolled his eyes at their antics.

“You don’t get to sound all cool, Jinyoung.” Jackson frowned. “When the hell are you confessing to Seulgi anyway? Everyone already knows about your little crush.”

“Maybe I should tell her.” Mark’s eyes lit up mischievously. “Or get Wendy to tell her.”

“T-That’s!”

“Stop teasing him too much.” Jinwoo finally said something and all the attention was now on him. “Look at how red he’s getting. I think he’s going to explode from the embarrassment.”

“I can’t do that.” Jinyoung ran his hands through his hair, suddenly taking a more serious tone.

“That’s…” Seunghoon sighed and eyed both Mark and Jackson, cautioning them to say no more. “I mean, she might break up with Kai. But let’s not talk about this anymore.”

“S-Sorry.” Mark and Jackson turned to each other, wondering if they crossed a line.

The subject on girlfriends and crushes came to an end, with the boys talking about the newest video game that just came out. Loud chatter filled the room but Jinyoung still remained near Jinwoo; his mind as though still filled with the conversation from before.

“Unrequited crushes .” Jinyoung suddenly proclaimed but only Jinwoo manage to hear it.

The young man turned to the older one, eyes sad and he shook his head at the absurd thoughts. He was about to stand up to join the others but paused when he heard Jinwoo spoke to him.

“Well, I’m rooting for you.”

When Jinyoung turned to look at him, all he found was Jinwoo’s lonely eyes and he wondered if the man was going through the same thing he did.

“What?” Jinyoung tried to make the conversation livelier. “You have one too?”

Near them, Seungyoon choked on his water from overhearing their conversation.

“Maybe.” Jinwoo laughed before closing his eyes. “Sorry, I think I need a short nap.”

It wasn’t until much, much later did Jinyoung realised to who the older man liked. But by then, a few years had passed and the relationship between Mark and Wendy seemed to grow stronger than ever.


Fate was funny.

Jinyoung swore that Mark and Wendy were inseparable but a miscommunication seemed to have dragged out between the two.

They were on stage, with the concert coming to an end and the artists lining up to say their farewells to the fans. His eyes looked worriedly towards Mark and saw that the man was putting up a fake smile. Nearby, his girlfriend stood close but she didn’t seem to meet his gaze even once.

A lovers quarrel huh…

He was about to head back stage when a peculiar sight got his attention.

Standing nearby were Winner who were waving goodbyes to fans as well; except one man.

His eyes seemed transfixed on someone and upon closer deduction, Jinyoung realised it was at Mark.

He must be worried about Mark too…

Just as he was leaving, he saw the man changed the direction to where he’s looking at. Right then, Jinyoung was positive of one thing.

Jinwoo’s eyes had taken a familiar stance; one that Jinyoung was used to seeing. It mimicked his whenever he stared in the mirror; thoughts filled with a certain young woman. He gave a small gasp; conversations from the past flooding his mind like a heavy waterfall falling from steep height.

When they were finally backstage, Jinyoung practically had to drag Jinwoo by his hands to a secluded corner near the staircase. The older man was obviously confused by his actions and was about to chide him for it until he heard the words he said.

“I’m sorry!”

He blinked in surprise at the sudden apology and tilted his head in confusion. “What for?”

“I’m so, so sorry!” Jinyoung continued apologising and even went as far as to bow his head to him.

Jinwoo grabbed the younger one by his shoulders, forcing him to look up. He didn’t know what got into the man before him but there was absolutely nothing that the man needed to apologise for.

“Like I said… what for?”

“It didn’t even crossed my mind!” Jinyoung babbled on. “We kept talking about her and how they’re a great couple! To which they are, but-”

“Jinyoung.” Jinwoo tried to stop him, already aware as to what he was alluding.

“And the fanfictions. Oh God.” He smacked his head in annoyance. “We even let you taste the cake they made together! Even though it was a trial cake for Seulgi’s birthday!”

“Jinyoung…”

The younger man finally stopped and stared straight into his eyes. “I’m so, very sorry!”

The surroundings turned silent, with Jinwoo not knowing what to say. He scratched his head awkwardly and finally shrugged his shoulders coolly.

“It’s not your fault.”

“H-How?” Jinyoung bit his lips in frustration. “How are you able to root for them?”

“The same way you root for her, for her own happiness.”

More silence.

Jinwoo sighed. “It doesn’t matter anymore.”

“It does! Because…”

“Because?”

Jinyoung shook his head, knowing he was butting in onto something personal. The idol industry was as small as it is; there was no way he was about to interfere over fate.

“You’ll know soon, I guess.”

Jinwoo raised an eyebrow at the vague answer but softened when Jinyoung finally patted him on his back.

“I… I’m rooting for you.”


A few months later, it had been Mino who had been the bearer of bad news.

Wendy and Mark have broken up; with the two casually dating some other people. Jinwoo was confused by the news.

Weren’t the two inseparable? Weren’t they serious about each other? In his heart, he felt a solemn anger like no other.

He was rooting for them for goodness sake!

“She’s spotted with Sehun and he’s spotted with Momo.” Mino eyed cautiously. “I don’t think they’re serious about them but they were spotted with these two a few times.”

“I can’t believe them.”

“It’s uh… apparently an on and off relationship.” The former continued. “I heard from Jaebum that…”

“That?”

“That Wendy finally decide to call it off, saying that their relationship was turning toxic.”

Jinwoo sighed and lay on his bed again. His eyes gazed at the ceiling above him, wondering why he felt sad at the fact that the two have broken up.

Was it because he couldn’t give up on her even when she belonged to another man? Or was it because he loved them both enough to want them to end up together forever?

It was then he remembered Jinyoung’s words and the man wondered if this was what he had been talking about from before.

“You… need to step in.” Mino finally said what was on his mind these few years. “Stop watching from the side lines and finally do something.”

“Does it matter?” Jinwoo asked bluntly. “As long as she’s happy…”

“Sure.” The younger man sighed in frustration. “But what if she’s happier with you?”

The question seemed to struck at his heart but before he could dismissed it all too casually, Mino continued.

“You yourself knows best if you can make her happy. If what you said is true, about caring for her happiness, then why the hell won’t you step up and care for it like you said you would?”

“… It’s not that simple.”

“Sure it is.” Mino snapped. “You’re just afraid. Afraid that Mark would begin to see you differently.”

“As he would.”

“Does it matter?” He put out the same question Jinwoo asked him earlier, leaving the man to flinch. “He broke her heart, so just break his.”

Jinwoo laughed sarcastically, eyes finally meeting the younger ones’. “Aren’t you his friend?”

“Aren’t you?” Mino retorted. “If you were really his friend, you would have given up on your feelings long ago out of respect for his relationship.”

Talk about hitting a sore spot…

“But we know it’s not that simple.” He continued softly, eyes staring determinedly at Jinwoo. “Life’s not black and white so I say do what makes you happy. Mark had his chance and he blew it. If you only tried, maybe you’d finally get your happy ever after.”

“That’s…”

“Instead of thinking like you’re the extra of some movie,” Mino huffed. “Why won’t you start thinking of yourself as the protagonist? We all just want you to be happy.”

The younger man finally left, leaving Jinwoo all alone with his thoughts. And then, a small smile appeared on his lips.

He really doesn’t mince his words, does he?


A few months passed and Jinwoo still didn’t do anything about it. He wanted to but he just didn’t know how; much to the horror of his teammates.

It was also horror to both GOT7 and Winner, when Mark seemingly alluded that he knew about Jinwoo’s crush on Wendy; when they were gathered for a live stage that day.

“I can’t say I support you,” Mark randomly turned to Jinwoo, taking him by surprise. “But I can’t say I’m not supporting you either.”

When Jinwoo asked him what he meant, the younger man only shook his head in a vague way. He left the conversation at that, leaving the others who knew about Jinwoo’s secret to assume that Mark probably knew and was in his roundabout way, telling Jinwoo to do his best.

Unluckily for him, the other members weren’t stupid either; they instantly knew right away that Jinwoo might have harboured a long time crush on the said girl.

And like Jinyoung first did, they apologised.

Jinwoo would remained the same, asserting that he was not affected by this and was actually doing well on his own. It wasn’t until Jinyoung told him that he got his girl that left the man thinking; if happy ever afters did exist in the first place.

The man would find that happy ever afters were easier to grasp when you’re made to feel the pain your whole life like Cinderella.

He would also learn that it wasn’t as easy to hold on to it; just like a melo-romance movie would.


“I… like you!” Jinwoo bowed his head humbly.

In fact, he didn’t know why in hell he had bowed his head towards her. He wondered if she’d think he was weird but there was no laughter coming from her. He hesitantly took a peek from the corner of his eyes and saw that her eyes were wide from being surprised.

“I… didn’t know.” Wendy would tell him, fidgeting uncomfortably.

“I don’t need you to accept my confession.” He stood up straight and assured her earnestly. “I just… wanted to get it out of my chest. I know it sounds selfish but! But…”

“How long?” She shyly asked. “How long have you liked me?”

“S-Since I’ve first laid my eyes on you.”

Wendy gasped, shocked that he had liked her this long. She felt something ached in her chest, wondering why the man would keep these feelings for a person like her.

“Why would you like me?” Wendy frowned. “I…”

“I just do. If you want me to list the reasons, there’s too many.”

“List one.”

“Your kindness.”

She frowned deeper. “List another one.”

“Your laughter.”

“And another?”

“The way your eyes crinkle when you listen to the music you like.”

“… One more?”

He shook his head, unable to look her in the eyes. “Too many. But your entire existence. I like your entire existence.”

Wendy pursed her lips, wary at the answer she might receive from her next question.

“Wasn’t it painful?”

“… Mark?”

She nodded but was surprised to see he laughed instead.

“It was but you were so happy with him. It made me happy.”

And Jinwoo would have never guessed it but that answer would have made her asked him out. It was a shock but an opportunity he took all the same.

Wendy was finally his and Jinwoo thought to himself this.

Happy ever afters do exist.


All was thought to be fine, up until a few nights ago.

Wendy would toss and turn in her sleep and Jinwoo would her hair softly, hoping it’d calm the nightmares she was having.

But when she shouted and jolted as her last nightmare ended, it was Jinwoo’s turn to feel like he was in a nightmare and he wished it’d stopped.

Wendy couldn’t meet his eyes and she couldn’t take it when he placed his hands on hers; as though reassuring her.

She was supposed to be the one reassuring him instead and that night, she began to loathe her existence more and more.

“You still love him.” Jinwoo tried his hardest to smile, rubbing her hands affectionately. “You’re still in love with him, aren’t you?”

“… I’m sorry.”

“Should I…” He trailed off, unsure to what he was getting at. “Should I call him?”

“I’m sorry.” A teardrop fell from her eyes. And then, many. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” Jinwoo wiped her tears away, heart aching from the pain she was going through. “I-If it makes you happy…”

“It doesn’t make me happy!” Wendy shouted, pulling herself away from him.

It sickened her very bones that she found comfort in this kind man and yet… and yet her subconscious was still in love with another. It annoyed her that he still loved her all the same. It frustrated her that she still wanted him.

“Why won’t you hate me?” She asked softly, tears still clouding her eyes. “You should hate me for putting you through this. I… You’re so nice all the time. You’re the kindest person I know! And yet…”

Jinwoo walked up to her, eyes steadily focusing on her crying face. It didn’t matter, he thought to himself; as long as she was happy…

His arms found hers and he brought her in for a tight hug; patting her back in reassurance as if to say that he would still love her all the same. Wendy loved and hated that about him and she bawled louder.

“And yet… why can’t I seem to fall in love with you?”

He pulled away, fingers wiping her tears away but there were far too many. He placed his forehead onto hers, sad eyes boring into her soul. A small smile etched on his lips though his heart was aching with indescribable pain. And then, he kissed her.

It was a soft kiss, one that she didn’t return back. But when he tried to pull away, he found that she was kissing him desperately and her hands cling tightly on his chest. Jinwoo didn’t realised it then that he kissed her back.

He also didn’t realise that his tears had mixed up with hers and all he could remember that night as he said goodbye was the salty after taste that still lingered in his mouth for many more nights to come.

Love, Jinwoo would learn, tasted horrible and bitter.


Bright lights, dazzling from above; shone solemnly on stage.

He stared into the crowd, cheers erupting for him but yet so distant. There was a pause in his heartbeat as his eyes accustomed to the fame that he had so longed for.

And then, a still silence.

A sound ringing in his ears, desperate; like the movies he saw when he was younger. As though of a man getting out of a coma, continuously ringing and resuscitating him back to life. It didn’t stop there, the sound crawling deep within his mind and tingling his nerves.

It went on and on and felt like a never ending journey to hell. His eyebrows twitched and he felt the sinking in his heart ever so deeply. Swayed by the falling motions of the light shining down, he felt as though he could fall anytime from now.

Then soft hands patted his back and the man found himself back into reality.

He wished it was her hands instead.

The cheers erupted louder and louder, fans screaming his name and he allowed himself a simple apology in his own mind. He turned around, finally face to face with a worried looking expression staring him down. Seungyoon gave a small smile of reassurance but the worried look he had for his older member didn’t once disappear.

Jinwoo wanted to cry.

Why was love this horrible and bitter?

Why had love tasted like the tears from her eyes?

What did he do to deserve this?

Jinwoo would think, up until a year later, that happy ever afters would cease to exist.


They were on their way to a schedule, 10.p.m on a Wednesday, he recalled.

The members were asleep, with only the manager and himself awake as the car drove through the dark streets of Seoul. The radio was on and Jinwoo insisted not to change the channel, earning a worried look from his manager.

Girly laughters filled the speakers of the car and Jinwoo smiled solemnly from them. A Red Velvet song began to play soon after and he lost himself in the music, hoping that it’d seem like he was still keeping it together.

The truth was; he wasn’t but it would be pathetic to admit that, for a year had passed since they broke up.

And then he heard her voice.

“Any songs you’re into lately?” The DJ asked the members and they had each recommended a song they liked.

“Winner’s Fool for me.” Jinwoo clearly heard her say and he quickly sat up straight in disbelief.

“Really?” The DJ teased and added. “Any particular members you’re interested in specifically?”

He heard the other members and he wondered why they were doing that when they knew that the two had history with each other. Unless…

The man shook his head. He was not about to get his hopes up.

“Jinwoo…” Seungyoon who was finally awake, was concerned for his older member.

“Rather than the members,” He found her change the subject. “The song itself speaks a lot to me.”

“Isn’t it a break-up song?” The DJ questioned. “Have you ever felt heartbreak before, Wendy?”

“Of course!” Wendy laughed. “I am twenty-four years old, you know.”

This time, the DJ laughed at her answer. “Really? But are you sure you’re not changing the subject?”

Jinwoo swore he heard Yeri answer for her. “These days, Wendy finds Jinwoo the most attractive.”

“Ohhhh….” The members and the DJ together and Jinwoo blushed deeply.

Seungyoon, who had been beside him, swore he could see the redness in his cheeks even from how dark the car was.

You still… Not once have you stopped loving her. Amazing.

“Jinwoo?” Seungyoon snapped back into reality. The older man responded by turning to face him. “I think she’s telling you that she’s sorry.”

“… I think so too.”

“You should tell her.”

Suddenly, there was a cough from behind and the two found that both Seunghoon and Mino had been wide awake.

Mino smirked, slapping the older man’s back. “Luckily for us, we’re on our way to a radio schedule too.”

“Also luckily for us,” Seunghoon added. “Their schedule’s about to end so they definitely will be able to hear us later. You need to make use of this chance wisely.”

And the same thing happened, with the roles switched; as the Red Velvet members returned home in their car.

The radio now switched on to a different channel, they heard Winner performing their song live and soon the DJ had asked them to recommend a few songs that they currently liked.

Jinwoo found himself answering, “I’d like to recommend our own song, Love Me Love Me.”

The members had almost face-palmed, if it wasn’t for the fact that they were in the public’s eye at the moment. When the schedule had ended, the three had attacked him in full speed, demanding to know why he hadn’t recommend a Red Velvet song instead.

“If she reads the lyrics, she’ll know.” Jinwoo insisted but a part of him wondered if she caught on.

As though fate, his phone began to ring; a number he hadn’t see popped up for a year.

His hands trembled as he picked up the call, voice hoarse and nervous from listening to the voice he hadn’t hear for a long time.

The call was on but only silence ensued. He heard her heavy breathing before he finally decided to take matters into his own hands. “Hello?”

“… I heard your message.”

“I heard yours too.”

“… I want to say I’m sorry.” Wendy’s voice quivered. “I’m sorry for everything and… I love you.”

“I know.”

“I-If by chance you have it in you to forgive me, c-can we…?”

“I forgive you, Wendy.” Jinwoo paused in his tracks.

The members had already walked further away, getting ready to enter the car that the manager had prepared. They turned around to see their oldest member with a soft expression on his face and they knew then that it had to be her.

“… I love you.” Wendy reiterated her words. “I love you, so can we… can we get back together?”

He felt his heartbeat rise and beat quickly, joy overflowing his whole body. “Of course. I’ll always love you too.”

When she had hung up, Jinwoo wondered if it had been something he said, or if the line had been faulty. He turned to look at s, whose gazes were on something far behind him.

That’s when he heard her, amidst the dark and quiet streets of Seoul.

“I…!” He saw a figure running up to him. No, not a figure. Her. “I promise to never hurt you again!”

She continued running, shouting the words coherently. “I love you! So!”

Jinwoo smiled, readying his arms open for he knew she’d run into him. And this time, he was going to catch her; for good.

“So please love me! Please love me like before! Because I love you! I’m in love with you, Kim Jinwoo!”

The girl finally came to a stop, jumping head first into his chest. He felt his shirt soaked wet, probably from the tears that were falling from her eyes. His hands her head lovingly, pleased, for it had been a long time.

Jinwoo snuggled his face onto the top of her head, then leaving kisses everywhere.

He kissed the top of her head first, then her forehead, then her eyes.

He kissed her tears away, her nose and finally; her lips.

He felt her lips quiver against his and he hugged her tighter; as though to remind her that this was real. It was also to remind him that this was real. Wendy clung tightly to him, not caring if there was anyone else there at the moment.

She regretted their past and she wanted to amend it. She only realised she loved him when she found herself listening to sad songs and no longer thinking of Mark, but of him.

To be completely honest, it was three months after their break-up when she first realised that Jinwoo had been on her mind, but the girl was too far of a coward to admit that. A part of her felt like he deserved better and it wasn’t until Irene had scolded her, annoyed at how a year had passed without any reconciliation, did she felt an overwhelming urge to apologise.

With the help of the members, they orchestrated the ‘Apologise-to-Jinwoo’ plan.

And it worked.

It worked damn well that she was now in his arms, enveloped in his scent as before and having him to hold her back.

“As I love you.” Jinwoo managed through their kisses. “As I will always love you, Son Seungwan.

She hiccupped from hearing him say her real name and hid her face into his chest once more. Jinwoo could only grin widely, hugging her tightly but he finally saw the other Red Velvet members behind her.

He saw Irene smile, her hands showing him a thumbs up. He could have sworn he saw her lips say ‘Congratulations’. Jinwoo showed her a thumbs up too, much to the amusement of the other members.

Behind him, Seunghoon coughed.

“This is romantic and all, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news as always, but I could have sworn I heard some shutter clicks just now.”

“You mean…” Mino suddenly looked around cautiously, as did the rest of Winner and Red Velvet. “P-Paparazzis?”

“Does it matter?” Jinwoo hummed softly, too happy to be thinking of reality.

Wendy smiled at him, tiptoe-ing as her lips reached his again.

And then, more shutter clicks.

“Of course it does!” The members shouted together.

Over at SM and YG the next day, the staff members were in a hurry; receiving phone calls from both fans and media sites alike. The situation proved chaotic and the lovebirds were reprimanded for their actions. But still, it didn’t mattered.

They finally came to answer; happy ever afters do exist.


“Have you read the news?”

“Uh-huh.”

“You okay?”

“…Sure.”

“Doesn’t seem like it.”

“I’ve always known… that he’d be her happy ever after. I’m happy that it’s him, Jinyoung.”

“But Mark,” Jinyoung sighed. “You’re still in love with her.”

Mark grinned as he shook his head, uttering the words Jinyound had once heard before.

“Does it matter?”