One

Stand By Me

They had been together for so long.

Hyukjae couldn't even remember a time when he hadn't had Donghae by his side. They had been friends since childhood, until in high school they started to get closer. He remembered the parties they used to go to and the things they used to do there.

He didn't remember exactly how or when they had confessed to each other, but ever since then his life had been perfect. He couldn't imagine the world without Donghae, who stood by him no matter what. 

They had even gone to college together. They had been what you could call a 'power couple;' everyone loved them and their relationship. 

Now, they were official boyfriends of nearly eight years but that was all. Hyukjae wondered when one of them would get the courage to ask the final question.

Hyukjae thought this as he stared up at the stars, shining over the roof of his house. He and Donghae were lying on lawn chairs in front of the house, and neither had spoken for nearly a full hour. Hyukjae thought Donghae was asleep.

'What would you do if one day I was gone?'

Hyukjae jumped when Donghae spoke. He hadn't thought about it, what he would do without Donghae. He spoke hesitantly. 'Die, probably.'

'Really?' Donghae asked, his voice filled with worry.

'You aren't leaving me,' Hyukjae forced a laugh. 'You wouldn't do that.'

'I wouldn't,' Donghae said, almost as though he wasn't sure if it was true.

'We're soulmates,' Hyukjae said in a singsong voice. 'We can't live without each other. Right?'

'Right.' Donghae sounded pained.

'Let's go to sleep,' Hyukjae suggested, and closed his eyes. 'I like sleeping outside.'

'Me too,' Donghae murmered. 'Good night.'

'Good night!'

 

If one day I was gone.....

Donghae was gone, he had really left. Hyukjae had tried calling him, but he didn't answer. He was nowhere in the house,, and Hyukjae was in a panic. 

He called his friend and asked frantically if Donghae was there.

'Isn't he with you?' Heechul asked, confused.

'No! Heechul, why would he just leave like that? Doesn't he know I'd freak out??'

'You probably scared him off,' Heechul joked, then realized that might not have been the right time.

'What did I do?' Hyukjae groaned. He sank unto a chair. 'Did he just get sick of me?'

'No, he did not get sick of you. I was only joking. GET YOURSELF TOGETHER!' Heechul shouted. 

Hyukjae just hung up the phone; there was nothing left to say. He buried his face in his hands. Every single little thing he had ever done wrong came rushing back to him.

There was a time in high school, when they had just gotten together. Hyukjae had been maybe a little drunk- ok, drunk out of his mind. He had grabbed a girl's and smiled at her stupidly, then called her y or something. Donghae had slapped him.

There was that time he'd yelled at Donghae for being late. They'd been visiting Hyukjae's parents, who had only met Donghae once before. Donghae had been extremely late and Hyukjae had gotten angry.

All the times, too, that Donghae had asked him to do certain things and Hyukjae had told him they could do that later. Donghae was always disappointed but polite, he respected Hyukjae's wishes. Why did Hyukjae mess up so much?

Once he even tried to break up with Donghae, all because Donghae had gone to dinner with his sister's middle school best friend and hadn't told Hyukjae. Hyukjae had been convinced it was a date and told Donghae he couldn't stay with a cheater. Why had he been so jealous?

He decided to try one more time to call Hyukjae. He dialed the number and waited in silence.

'Hello?'

Hyukjae nearly screamed. 'Y-yes? Donghae, I- where are you?'

'I messed up so many times,' Donghae blurted. 

'What?'

'You must be so sick of me. I'm such a jealous, whiny..... how do you bear it?'

'You....you mean you think I'M not jealous? I'm not whiny or annoying? What....I was just thinking about how I must have annoyed YOU!'

There was a long silence .

'We ed up so bad.'

Then they were both laughing, but in a few seconds it had switched to crying, then they were both apologizing and asking questions and Donghae said he would come back. Hyukjae hung up the phone feeling like he had just been reincarnated into a fresh new life, he felt so incredibly happy. 

 

 

'I decided,' Donghae began, 'just in case I came back, I took an opportunity to buy something for you.'

Hyukjae waited expectantly.

'I bought this, and there's a question that goes with it..... will you marry me?' Donghae mumbled.

There was a long pause before Hyukjae answered. 

'I was going to ask you that, idiot!'

'Wait-' Donghae looked confused. 'Is that yes or no?'

'Yes. That's yes,' Hyukjae could barely speak through his smile. 'You dork.' 

Donghae smiled too. He watched how Hyukjae admired the ring Donghae had bought him, and a feeling of relief and delight spread through him.

'You better not ever leave me again,' Hyukjae warned. 

'Never.'

'Do you promise?'

'Promise.'

They linked hands, and the promise was sealed, a promise to never leave each other. To be together forever. 

A promise to love forever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

This was unbearable I'm sorry, I know you expected better.... I rushed it too much, I'm not a good writer, I'm sorry.....