Final

Lightning Bug

You only get one.

This would seem unfair, other than it's intimately connected to your body by unsought means. You would think it would be difficult to hold onto, but in reality it absorbed into your body much like how it comes out.

Baekhyun rolls his in his hand and inspects it, watching its strange glow. Even if not much was known about them, everyone knew how to use them. You just threw them around until it finally absorbs into someone else (Some people took that statement very literally. For example, Jackson in his class last year, who basically punted his at a stranger, who, to everyone's surprise, began glowing). That person is the only person you'll ever love in your life.

Baekhyun clenches his hand around the ball and it melts into his body like always. Just as he's done a shoulder rams him into the locker and he glares at the offender as he walks away.

ing Park Chanyeol. You'd think high school would make at least some people grow up, but he supposes the cracked education system still played favorites to the jocks. He supposes all that athleticism pays off when every day is an orb dodge ball game.

Just to prove a point, a girl shyly comes up to Chanyeol and he softens his look for her. It was widely known that, even for being such a popular, Chanyeol's orb was one of the largest the population's ever seen.

Ugh. As if anyone actually believed that myth.

Whoever took his was bound to have the most loving and faithful lover ever. So much for all that "size doesn't matter" . No proof actually existed for that little rumor. Even so, it's never been dramatically disproved either.

Baekhyun scowls as he pulls out his own again and frowns, absorbing it to watch as Chanyeol produces a handful of blue and offers it to the girl. She holds it and instantly looks sad when it only sits in her hand, atop the skin - not her. Chanyeol takes it back and gives her a comforting side hug. He catches Baekhyun watching and gives him a dirty look, so the latter looks away and picks up his bag to get to class.

God, he hates Park Chanyeol.

 

 

Baekhyun's always been a fan of the arts, and, because of this, he surrounds himself with other people of the same. Jongdae was devoted to the school's Theater program. And himself - he works best with his hands, to the point where the school's run out of art classes that have kept his interest.

It's places like here, in classes like gym, that he realizes why he surrounds himself with whimsical, intelligent people.

Baekhyun touches the cut in his lip from where the ball hit him in the face, wincing from the bruise he received when they changed earlier. Sometimes he wished he could just use the bathroom stalls, but they'd always find him. This time it was mostly ridicule: too skinny, too pale, too small. If only they knew.

Baekhyun opens his gym locker to pull out a change of clothes, after everyone had left. He only had ceramics left, and the teacher never took attendance so he was free to change alone. He pulls off his shirt carefully over his head and sighs from the cold of the locker rooms. They dropped in temperature during winter because of the concrete, and heated up when there was a lot of people, but the warmth faded when the door opened and everyone left. Baekhyun was stuck as the temperature drops again through the cold concrete.

Did he really want to get dressed yet? He stares at his locker with low motivation. Sometimes he got sick of everything, but ceramics was pretty fun, he supposes. They never actually had to do anything in the class for credit, but it was still cool to work with the clay. He was always better with his hands. Baekhyun forms his soul orb in his fingers and smiles at it, imagining how maybe he could create some sculpture of it if he tried. It could be his final project. He's still stumped on what it should be.

The door to the locker rooms bursts open and he jumps out of his thoughts, looking at the sound. Chanyeol steps inside briefly before they make eye contact, and then he closes the door behind him with a blank look.

"Byun."

Baekhyun swallows and grabs his backpack with one hand to get ready faster, but Chanyeol walks over to his stuff and pushes it down without any effort. Baekhyun pushes a hand against him to keep him back, and doesn't look him in the eye.

"Ah, no no. So this is where you hide after gym, huh?" Chanyeol chides and Baekhyun remains tense, but he looks at Chanyeol with a strange focus, his eyebrows lifting. He opens his mouth to speak, but gets silenced, "Don't worry. I don't have time for anything today, but since you're here, I do have a prop-."

Baekhyun shakes his head and weasels out of his trapped position, pushing against him and darting towards the door, "Hey!"

He reaches the wall right before he makes it out and slams his hand down on the light switch, and it immediately goes dark as the electricity is cut off, except for one source.

Though he clenches his eyes shut, he knows he must've turned the lights off, but he could tell something was still on, and his curiosity makes him open his eyes. A dim yellow light cast the shadow of himself across the concrete brick of the locker room wall.

Chanyeol looks down at his chest in surprise to see the source as himself, seeping through the fibers of his cotton shirt and jutting out across his collar bone. His entire chest was alight, giving off the tell-tale soft yellow glow of absorption. He looks at Baekhyun accusingly, who presses himself up against the wall in fear, because, in that moment, he realizes what has happened.

"What is this? You?" Chanyeol exclaims and presses his hand against Baekhyun's shoulder, trying to grab a shirt but instead touching bare skin and pinning him in place, "Your orb - take it out!"

"I-I can't!" Baekhyun whispers and shakes his head, "It's gone, I can't-"

Chanyeol releases him and stares him down for a second, not exactly looking disgusted, but in shock, running a hand through his hair. He pulls the hand out and looks at it curiously, bringing out his orb as a second thought. It was almost too big to fit in his palm, and Baekhyun flinches from the sight, and the strange prospect that he might actually-

No. Chanyeol takes back the orb like it was stupid and leaves instead without another word. The door slams shut behind him. Baekhyun realizes he's been holding his breath and lets it out, sinking to the ground.

 

 

He's always the first to get to class, in time to greet his teacher, grab his clay, and brainstorm. This time, out of breath and distraught, the bell rings as soon as he walks inside, his classmates pushing around him to leave for their buses and vehicles, and he sags with a final breath of defeat, brows furrowed as he casts his glance to the floor.

The bag on his shoulder falls off from where it was barely hanging on. The teacher had already left even, and the door was most likely unlocked. He's always suspected it's because he comes back later on, or he lets the other ceramics teacher lock up for him.

Baekhyun doesn't have another choice but to follow the crowd as they file through the long hallway to the buses. He picks his bag off the ground - a layer of clay dust on the bottom now - and he turns up his collar to join the flow. All of these people - mostly strangers - and to think of what's happened to him, and how all of this could almost go unnoticed by the rest of the world.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad - , who is he kidding?

He's gets on the bus later than usual and all the better seats are taken, leaving the very front open. He sits in a seat as quietly as possible, and a big tall giant comes on right before it's time to leave. He doesn't look up from his phone when Chanyeol walks by, but he can feel the stare on his neck as he sits down behind him. A few of his friends fill in the spots nearby and they start causing a ruckus, especially since Chanyeol was still glowing, and he would until he finished the merge.

Chanyeol would have to accept the bond by giving Baekhyun his orb in order for the glow to cease. It gives him a cruel satisfaction to think he'd be stuck like that forever, because no way in hell would Park-ing-Chanyeol ever get near him with that.

Baekhyun turns his phone off and takes out a book to sink further into his seat when they start trying to take Chanyeol's jacket off to see the glow and make sure it was real. Chanyeol laughs and pushes them off as they ogle it in wonder.

"Oppa, who was it?" A nearby girl asks excitedly and she leans over her seat. The bus slowly rumbles to life and begins driving despite the commotion on board.

"It's a secret." Chanyeol smiles and puts a finger to his lips. She grins and falls back into her seat to gossip about it. Baekhyun uneasily shifts and turns his page, but keeps the last one bookmarked. He didn't read a single word.

"You're going to keep this from us?" Chanyeol's best friend, Kai, accuses, and Chanyeol shrugs.

"Am I not entitled to the mysteries of my love life?" He asks and Kai leans in a bit, looking concerned.

"You do know who it is, right?" He asks and Chanyeol elbows him, "Of course I do."

It goes silent, but Baekhyun feels a secret transmission behind him and Kai gasps from whatever is being passed on.

"Really?!"

The bus stops and, even though he's no where near home - it's the first stop, and he's the seventh - Baekhyun stands up and leaves in a hurry, tightening his fists on his backpack straps and speed-walking away.

The next day he gets his parents to call him in sick.

 

"Byun!"

Baekhyun keeps walking on his way to lunch. He brought his own, and he just needed milk, but maybe he could skip it and hide while he still had the chance to book it out of sight and tuck himself in a corner at the library.

"Baekhyun!"

A hand touches his arm and Baekhyun takes it out of reach with a quick jerk, but he's not fast enough. Chanyeol grabs him by the fabric of his shirt and it makes him stop, but Baekhyun doesn't look at him. The idiot was still glowing, and it gave Baekhyun a sort of pleasure knowing it probably kept him up all night.

"Baek, we need to talk."

He swears he blacks out for a second and comes back to earth when his fist is throbbing and Chanyeol's hands are covering his face. People exclaim in the lunch room and a few start calling for a fight and he knows it's been spotted when a teacher begins walking over. Baekhyun stares at his hand, then at Chanyeol in shock, and he tries to leave again. The taller grabs his backpack with both hands to keep him from going and Baekhyun wiggles free to try to escape.

 

They end up in the office, waiting to speak to the counselor. Baekhyun stares at his feet with his mouth pressed shut, and Chanyeol has a cloth to stop his nose from bleeding. The smaller coughs a little and looks at his bruising knuckles when his frown suddenly becomes a smile, and he can't keep it down. He giggles a few times and tries to clear them out of his throat, but Chanyeol looks at him curiously and he tries to stop.

"What?" He asks and Baekhyun hides his smile by crossing his arms and looking away. He clears his throat one last time and doesn't reply.

"Hey," Chanyeol pokes his cheek lightly and Baekhyun lifts his shoulders to shrug him off, grimacing, but Chanyeol's persistent, "This is going to sound completely incredulous and really late, but I want to apologize."

Baekhyun snorts.

"No really. Seriously late, but," He pauses, as though he knows his words won't come out well, "I'm pretty happy with my outcome, though I understand that you hate me."

Baekhyun whips his head to glare daggers.

"You're happy? That's a fat lie." He accuses. Honestly he thinks this new defiance stems from stress or something. Chanyeol's about to reply when they're called into the office. They didn't have the same counselor, so they were meeting with the main one, which neither of them were familiar with, and she's sitting in her office chair while the two of them are forced into two chairs side by side, like a doctors office.

"So tell me what happened." She starts and Chanyeol opens his mouth.

"With all due respect, Mrs. Law, but I think it would be easier if we worked this out-"

"Baekhyun, tell me what happened." She cuts him off with a raise of her hand. Baekhyun stiffens and glances at Chanyeol with reoccurring fear, then lowers his head.

"Nothing much. Really, I was just tired and it was an accident."

"Witnesses say you punched him, Mr. Byun."

He winces, "Y-yes-"

"I was bothering him, and I have been for months now, and recently it's become too much. He reacted to get me away from him, Mrs. Law. This is my fault." Chanyeol pipes in. She stares at both of them by her desk and eventually sighs.

"I can't tell which one of you is covering for who and which one is telling the truth, so I'm going to touch on the issue at hand," she gestures to Chanyeol's glow, "Did something else happen between you two? We've known for a long time that you don't get along, but...did something else happen?"

Baekhyun keeps his head down, but a heated prickle rises in his neck and face. She probably thought they were fighting over a stupid girl. Chanyeol stays quiet for a few seconds before slowly raising his arm up, as if he thought the same thing, and settling it over Baekhyun's shoulders to pull him closer.

"Actually, it's a long story," Baekhyun shrugs Chanyeol's arm off, but it stays in place. Mrs. Law gives them a questioning glance, deciding between several stories she infers.

"Baekhyun, are you his soul-absorb?" She asks and Baekhyun suddenly sobs, covering his mouth as bitter tears run down his face. He wipes them away and Chanyeol pulls a tissue from the desk to give it to him, but Baekhyun rejects his help sharply.

"Stop!" His first outbursts startles even himself, "Stop being nice to me now! For years you've hurt me and made fun of me! I can't believe you. I can't believe you'd just be okay with this, and I'm not okay with it! I can't just forget everything that you've ever done to me!" He bursts and Chanyeol puts his other arm around him. Baekhyun struggles against it until Chanyeol overpowers him into a strong hug, but he still tries to push him away.

"I only said those things because I knew, out of billions of people in the world, that it wasn't going to be you - the one person that I had an uncontrollable crush on since the third grade. The best thing to do was to make a wall between us, but it didn't help - me, anyway."

Baekhyun, his head held against Chanyeol's shoulder, remains silent, fuming. Did he really expect him to believe that? It sounded like the stupidest thing to attempt - honestly, how big of an idiot was Park Chanyeol?

"So beating me up is the easiest way?" Baekhyun sharply replies and Chanyeol's hold tightens.

"I never physically touched you like the others did." It was partially true. He usually stood nearby and watched - instructed, more like. Baekhyun wasn't buying it - didn't want to buy it.

"Stop...stop touching me!" Baekhyun pushes Chanyeol off finally and the larger watches him. Baekhyun feels his expression betraying his emotions and faces away from him.

"Chanyeol, you like Baekhyun." The counselor starts settling the issue by stating the facts. Chanyeol nods and keeps looking at Baekhyun. "I do."

"Baekhyun," she starts and the smaller almost flinches from whatever he's going to have to repeat, "You have every right to be angry with him, but he is your soul-absorb. You were correct is saying that this is something you need to settle between you two, and it will eventually, but we're going to set up the beginnings of reparation in this room, with just the three of us."

Baekhyun nods and feels betrayed by himself. Maybe it was crazy, but somewhere inside of him he was already okay with how this ended - maybe because he's been waiting for this all his life, or maybe because he always secretly hoped it was Chanyeol, though he doubts it. Either way, he felt like he was fighting against himself, and even might be losing.

He crosses his arms to close himself off and Chanyeol doesn't stop watching him.

"I need you to face each other." She instructs. Baekhyun glances over his shoulder once, retracts, then looks over again slowly. He turns in his chair to face the other direction, but doesn't look up where Chanyeol was trying to make eye contact, "Look at him, Baekhyun."

He presses his lips together and glances up, but looks away again from Chanyeol's strong eye contact. He didn't feel like he could survive it, but Chanyeol's hand finds his chin and brings his eyes up with a hopeful look.

Something sparks there and Baekhyun can almost taste the tangible energy.

"We're going to meet up again tomorrow, alright? I'll get you passes for class. Where are you going?"

"Gym." Chanyeol states without looking away, and Baekhyun knows he's done for.

 


He goes into the locker room as tense as ever, especially now that his once-mortal enemy was walking right behind him. Chanyeol holds the door open for him, and he thinks he's clear, until the giant loops an arm over his shoulders and they raise up in alarm.

It could be that Chanyeol's physical affections warded off predators - if you wanted to put it in that sense - but it also held a very strong statement that Baekhyun would rather not say right now, even if he would have to accept it eventually.

He's too slow to wriggling out of the hold and the first guy spots them and pauses to take it in, eventually alerting the others. Chanyeol wears his glow proudly and Kai struts over with his shirt off to greet him. Most of the changing men not busy with their clothes stop to watch in curiosity as Chanyeol walks Baekhyun over to his locker and stays nearby to protect him, but Baekhyun's sure the others got the message. He cringes inwardly.

"Can you, uh, leave me alone?" Baekhyun mumbles and Chanyeol glances at his own locker before moving towards it. Baekhyun sighs and begins changing his clothes, and no one disturbed it. It felt unnatural, but it must've been a sad day for him to wish he was being bullied.

No one beats him up during class, and Chanyeol sticks around with him afterwards as he changed slowly. His hopes of waiting it out didn't go according to plan as the giant stood at the entrance of the locker rooms and opened the door for him as he left.

In ceramics he stared at his block of clay, wishing he could roll his orb in his fingers like always, but now it was gone forever. He'd have to find another thing to do when he was in his thoughts now. Baekhyun pouts and examines the clay a little more before sighing as the bell rings. 

He wraps it up in a plastic bag to keep it wet as the other students grab their things and file out the door. He really didn't want to get on the bus today, and his house wasn't that far away, but maybe Jongdae has musical practice and could bring him home.

Baekhyun slides his clay into the cabinet and the teacher already was gone, so he was alone. It gave him some time to think things over as he stares the other projects in the cabinet. Someone was making a clay taco, and another had mugs with little creatures on the inside. Those were his favorites, but he still didn't have anything in mind.

He must've stayed too long looking over the other items. The ceramics door opens and Baekhyun thinks he could sprain himself as he rolls his eyes when a familiar face peers in and spots him.

"You're not taking the bus?"

What, does he monitor when he gets on? If he's here, he must've missed it too. "Chanyeol, leave me alone."

"How are you getting home?"

"Without you." Baekhyun hardens his gaze and walks over to the sink to wash his hands, even if they were still clean. Someone's wad of paper towel was clogging the drain and he fishes it out to clear the sink, then dries his hands. He pulls the smock over his head and hangs it up for tomorrow. Chanyeol was still there.

"Following me around isn't going to make me like you anymore than I already don't."

"I have free reason to let myself indulge in my forever-crush, so I'm going to enjoy our eternity."

Baekhyun frowns and packs his bag. The buses were probably gone by now, so why was he still here? For him?

"Whatever." Baekhyun mumbles and takes up his bag to storm out the door Chanyeol was holding open. The giant follows behind and Baekhyun tightens his hands on his backpack straps, hoping they don't collide with his face again or else he'll get in even more trouble. Even so, he earned it.

He crosses buildings and Park follows him the entire way. He meets a few familiar faces along the way and avoids their eye contact, but at least Chanyeol wasn't trying to touch him or anything. He's honestly not sure how he'll react if he does.

Even so, crossing into the hallway is awkward for them when Chanyeol lags slightly behind in silence. Baekhyun pretends to be occupied with the murals and the classroom doors, but it doesn't help much. The PAC doors were open, probably for practice, and he can hear them further inside. Chanyeol stops outside the entrance.

"You're in theater?" He asks but Baekhyun shakes his head.

"No."

He walks inside and Chanyeol follows. They reach the audience doors before Baekhyun stops and stares at Chanyeol with his eyes narrowed.

"You can't go in there."

"Why not?" Chanyeol asks and takes a small step back. Baekhyun narrows his eyes.

"Because I can't sneak in during their practice when you're glowing." He accuses and Chanyeol opens his mouth, but closes it.

"I could say a cheesy line about how to solve that problem but I don't think you're in the mood to hear it."

"You're correct."

Baekhyun pouts slightly and can hear them reciting lines through the door, so he sits on a bench outside the auditorium and sets his head in his hands.

"Go home, Chanyeol. We have finals next week. Go study."

"We should study together." Chanyeol suggests but Baekhyun shakes his head.

"I don't study." He replies and Chanyeol sits down next to him, but leaves space between them respectfully.

"Then why are you telling me to?"

"Someone's gotta do it."

"So you've never studied. You've gotten pretty far for someone who's never studied."

"I'm just good at remembering things."

Chanyeol gives a toothy smile and they fall into silence. Baekhyun rubs his eyes and eventually looks up in resignation.

"I'm...sorry - for punching you in the face."

Chanyeol looks over at his curiously, "Eh? Oh, it's okay."

He should punch himself in the face, because then he says, "I'm just having a hard time right now."

Now it sounds like they're a fighting couple - which they're not.

"No, I get it. Especially cause, well," Chanyeol rubs his neck, "I was a ."

Baekhyun looks up at him at the word in surprise and they hold eye contact. Baekhyun looks away first and snickers. He rubs his upper lip with the crook of his index finger and stands up.

"Yes you are."

Chanyeol makes a sound of protest, "Are? Was!"

"How do I know you're not still a ?" He flicks Chanyeol in the forehead, "Once a , always a ?"

Chanyeol pouts, but grabs the hand assaulting him, "I think you just like that word."

Baekhyun snorts and tries to take his hand away, but Chanyeol holds on tighter in resistance. When Baekhyun tries to see why, Chanyeol rubs his fingers and turns the hand over to inspect the palm.

Baekhyun feels as Chanyeol runs the tip of his index finger lightly across his palm and suddenly flushes with warmth. His sensitivity heightens and he wants to pull his hand back, but he doesn't. Instead, he watches Chanyeol, who gives his hand all his attention as he trails his fingers across the skin. It felt so intimate.

When Chanyeol reaches his wrist, Baekhyun pulls his hand back with enough force to snap them both out of it. Chanyeol looks up and releases him, smiling at the pink dusting Baekhyun's cheeks and growing up his face. Chanyeol, a little bolder, takes back the hand to grasp it, fumbling shortly until they suddenly lock together and their fingers intertwine.

Baekhyun swallows.

He pulls his hand loose and pushes Chanyeol's shoulder, playfully, but enough to cause him to lean backwards.

"Study."

Baekhyun tightens his hold on his backpack straps and walks away, not hearing anyone following him.

 

 

Chanyeol finds him at lunch again, and, this time, Baekhyun doesn't punch him.

Luckily for Chanyeol, Baekhyun ate alone. Jongdae had a different lunch period.

Unluckily for Baekhyun, Chanyeol had a lot of friends.

All of them trained their eyes on him as Chanyeol steered Baekhyun towards his table, and the entire table was lined with people. A few of them smiled and looked friendly while others had permanent evil eyes. One of them gasps and flails as another shuts him up quickly and forces him to stay still.

Baekhyun cautiously sits next to Chanyeol, settling his stuff between his legs. He recognizes some of them from when he was bullied, but none of them did anything. He remembers Kai specifically from gym. He never did anything.

They never did anything, which makes Chanyeol's story seem more reliable. Baekhyun doesn't want to think about it, though, and pokes the food on his tray.

"When were you planning on completing it?" One of the friends bursts out. Another friend restrains him. Baekhyun looks up and then glances at Chanyeol, whose ears were turning red. Chanyeol shushes him and Baekhyun feels a bit uncomfortable. He drops his spoon in his tray.

"What?"

"Don't listen to him. He doesn't know anything."

"You told them?" Baekhyun glowers at Chanyeol, who looks like he's about to sweat.

"What? No. I only - Kai!"

The accused looks over with his mouth full of food, and he swallows it.

"What?"

"You told them?!"

"We got him drunk when we realized he was keeping a secret from us." 

"Kyungsoo!"

Kyungsoo doesn't even flinch and feeds himself a spoonful of soup. Chanyeol hisses through his teeth.

"Dammit, Kai. You and your honest drunk self!"

Kai watches in case he was needed any longer, then goes back to eating. Chanyeol huffs and settles into his chair, perking up and stealing a glance at Baekhyun.

He was eating as they quarreled, and he had a particularly blissed look on his face as he did so. It made him cuter. Baekhyun slaps his arm lightly and gestures to his uneaten lunch. "Eat. We meet the counselor in ten."

 

 

She's waiting for them when they arrive. Chanyeol grips Baekhyun's hand cautiously when he first stands to have them leave and they make eye contact for a brief moment. Baekhyun looks down at his hand and Chanyeol swears he can see the blush forming before he turns his head around to stand.

The counselor has them sit down again in her office and looks mildly pleased that they weren't yelling at each other on their way in. When they sit, a bit closer now and not completely turned away, she knew they were making amends.

"Baekhyun, how have you been?"

He looks up and clears his throat a little. "Fine. Finals are coming up."

"Any tough classes this year?"

"CIS literature. I still have six essays to write on queer theory."

Chanyeol makes a dumb-founded noise and cringes, "Ew! That's horrible."

"You're not even studying, are you?" Baekhyun accuses. Chanyeol shrugs.

"I memorize things just fine."

The counselor knows he's lying, but she's observing their interaction.

"No, I memorize things well. You need to study."

"How do you know what my grades look like?"

"I've been in the same classes as you for years, C+"

Chanyeol looks momentarily surprised, but he tones it down to a teasing expression, "Oh, so you kept track?"

Baekhyun opens his mouth, but can't find any comeback. He closes it and looks at the counselor, who looks amused.

"I can see you're getting better." Baekhyun looks ashamed, but Chanyeol beams. The counselor doesn't stop talking. "Actually, Baekhyun, I think it would be a good idea for you to help Chanyeol study. Maybe after school today?"

"What?"

"That's a good idea! Remember you told me to go study yesterday!" Chanyeol is too happy to go along with it. Baekhyun glares, but he can't talk back.

"I'll let you two settle on the time and place. Is there anything either of you want to discuss now?"

Both of them fall silent. Baekhyun looks at his feet and shifts them quietly.

"Good. "

 

"What are you doing?"

"Economics?"

"That looks like algebra."

"It's supply and demand. That's why."

Baekhyun opens his mouth when he understands and grudgingly takes another seat at the library table. They both just decided to meet there after school. Chanyeol pulls out a few sheets of Cornell notes and lays them out.

"Okay. I don't know where to start."

"Well," Baekhyun looks the paper over and brushes the fringe from his eyes, "You already have the graph out, so lets talk about demand. What causes a change in demand?"

Chanyeol stares a little bit at his paper, but doesn't answer. Baekhyun prods him a bit by pushing a section of notes closer in hopes that he'll see it, but it was almost like Chanyeol was gone.

"Okay, how about this: What happens to the demand for doughnuts if the price of muffins goes down?"

"It goes up?"

"It goes down."

Chanyeol blanks out, "Why?"

"It's the supplementary idea. Doughnuts versus muffins. If one goes down, the other goes up. This is the opposite of complimentary, in which both items move together."

Chanyeol taps his pencil on the table a couple of times and leaves his eyes open wide with a hysterical smile pasted on his face.

"I'm going to die."

"No you won't. You need to listen."

"I do. I really do, but my brain isn't made for economics." Chanyeol sighs. Baekhyun leans back in his chair and purses his lips. Chanyeol glances at him quickly, his lip, then shuffles his papers. Baekhyun's face warms up, but he leans forward a bit.

"Tell you what," this gets Chanyeol's attention and Baekhyun feels nervous. Sweat coats his palms, "If you ace this test - no lower than an -A - I'll... I'll kiss you."

He's got his full attention now. Chanyeol clutches his notes in surprise, but his eyes sparkle.

"Really?"

"Don't make me take it back."

Chanyeol nods silently and focuses his attention on his notes. Baekhyun pulls out a piece of homework and taps his pencil on the table before scribbling down an answer. He can feel Chanyeol watching him.

"Are you sure you're studying?" 

Chanyeol flinches suddenly and Baekhyun fights the urge to smirk.

"I have to prepare myself. I can't just kiss you. That wouldn't be fair."

"If you don't concentrate then I might think you don't want to kiss me at all." Baekhyun looks up and Chanyeol gulps.

"No! I want to kiss you - God, I want to kiss you."

They make eye contact and Chanyeol looks desperate. If Baekhyun believed him - which he's beginning to have a hard time not to - he might say that Chanyeol really did look like he wanted to kiss him, or maybe try to show he wanted to right now.

Baekhyun taps his pencil on the table again and points at his notes.

"Then study."

God, he's already regretting his words. What if Chanyeol really does get an A? He didn't really think it through.

Chanyeol swallows and nods his head. The glow peeping through his chest seems to flare out a bit with warmth and Baekhyun feels like he can sense it in his fingertips and toes. He wiggles them before going back to his homework.

 

 

Finals were a mess. Students were wandering around looking half awake, most of them with coffee and some even with blankets. Baekhyun got through two before he remembered about his promise.

So, he waits in the locker room, where he knows Chanyeol complains about economics every day. At first he doesn't show up, and Baekhyun's too nervous to change.

"Nerd."

A random bully checks him into his locker and it snaps him out of it. He catches himself and sends the bully a quick glance, but finally decides to move. They snicker as he pulls his shirt over his head and he cowers.

"Yah. Taemin. Cut it out." 

Baekhyun recognizes the sound of Kai's voice and glances over his shoulder. They make eye contact and Baekhyun turns to face his locker again in embarrassment.

"Who did you invite?"

He can overhear a conversation between two jerks.

"Amber."

"Really? I haven't chosen yet. I don't think you'll win with Amber. She looks too nice."

"Girls here are too nice. It's difficult."

The locker room door opens and Baekhyun straightens as Chanyeol walks in, but he doesn't look happy. Baekhyun breathes out in relief.

Chanyeol walks over and flashes him his paper with a B on it. Baekhyun chuckles, mostly to himself, and pats Chanyeol awkwardly, "It's still better."

"I was hoping you'd give me a pity request."

"Ah, we had a deal. Besides, that would be rewarding bad behavior."

"What bad behavior?"

Baekhyun pulls his gym shirt on, "Not focusing."

"How was I supposed to concentrate when you offered your lips if I studied? I couldn't stop thinking about them."

Baekhyun feels the burn of embarrassment under his skin and he hopes it means he's not blushing. Chanyeol makes a pouty face, then presses his face into the locker.

"Yah!"

Chanyeol looks up at Kai's voice and walks over when he jerks his head. Kai whispers something and Chanyeol's gaze turns angry as he paces it on Taemin.

"Do we have a problem we need to fix?" He asks and waltzes over. Taemin looks up lazily from changing and looks mildly confused. "With what?"

"If you touch him again I swear I'll have half the school ruining your life."

Chanyeol's tone is deep - dangerous. Baekhyun pats down his shirt nervously after he changes out his pants and watches as Taemin looks his way accusingly. He scowls.

"What, him? He's not worth your time."

Chanyeol grabs Taemin by his shirt and Baekhyun winces in surprise as the younger is lifted slightly off the ground. 

"I dare you to repeat that."

Baekhyun lunges forward and wraps his hands around Chanyeol's fist. The taller snaps from his rage to look down at Baekhyun softly and he lowers Taemin. "Stop. Stop it. He can dislike me if he wants. Besides, aren't you the one who started this?" Baekhyun's eyes are icy, and Taemin watches them. His eyes flicker between Baekhyun's hand still wrapped inside Chanyeol's, and the glow coming off under Chanyeol's shirt.

"," he breathes, smoothing his shirt out where it was grabbed, "You're absorbed."

"No we're not." Baekhyun drops Chanyeol's hand to put his bag away, spitting the words out behind him.

 

 

Chanyeol keeps his face down at lunch, hiding inside his hair. His friends keep trying to cheer him up, but he refuses.

"Baekhyun, do something."

He pauses before eating and looks up, "Like what?"

"Pet him."

"How would that help?"

Kai shrugs in response and Baekhyun glances at Chanyeol timidly, but he places a hand on Chanyeol's head, "You should be happy. It's a good grade."

"It's not an A." Chanyeol mumbles and Baekhyun rolls his eyes.

"So what? You won't suddenly be an expert on everything."

"But it's not an A."

Baekhyun pulls his hand back and rolls his eyes again, "I can't help him unless he wants to be helped."

"No, keep going!"

Baekhyun scowls and places his hand back on Chanyeol's head, fluffing up the hair a bit. Chanyeol tilts his face so he's squishing his cheek against the table and he grins cheekily at his friends as Baekhyun ruffles his hair.

"You're just upset that you didn't get your reward." Baekhyun mumbles.

"Ooh, 'reward' huh?" Jongdae teases and he wiggles his eyebrows. Baekhyun lifts the hand on Chanyeol's head to point it at him

"Shut up."

Chanyeol reaches up and places the hand back on his head, so Baekhyun scoffs and pushes him instead. He grabs his things, prepared to leave, but Chanyeol shoots up to grab his arm.

"Wait, I was going to ask you something."

"What?"

"We're having a get-together tomorrow after school. I wanted to invite you."

"You're just now asking him?" Kyungsoo hisses.

"Tomorrow?" Baekhyun asks. He feels like something important was happening tomorrow, but he can't remember it, "Why?"

Chanyeol looks confused, "Why?"

"Yeah, like what is it for?"

Chanyeol blinks a few times, then looks at the others.

"We're planning on, like, a movie night, or something."

"Or something?"

"Yeah?"

Baekhyun stares at him a little longer, then nods.

"Fine."

"Really?" Chanyeol's eyes glow.

"Sure."

 

 

Baekhyun feels himself flush with anxiety that night, imagining the party and feeling nervous. 

Taemin doesn't change, but he's less obvious about it. He doesn't hurt him physically, but he's sure he can sense him devising some sort of plan to get him back for something Kai did. Thankfully the real tattletale was watching him like it was his job since Chanyeol wasn't there yet - retaking the final, he heard.

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. The deal was already off anyway.

"Did you get anyone yet?"

"Nah, man, they're all taken."

"You could always bring a boy. Park is."

Baekhyun freezes and pretends not to be listening as they lower their voices. He changes a little quieter.

"It's too late for that. Too many people already have plans. I'll just watch."

What were they saying yesterday? The girls looked too nice. Why would they need ugly girls?

Baekhyun stills. Goddamnit. ing Park Chanyeol.

A sour feeling twists inside of him and he feels himself running out of air. He quickly stuffs his things into the locker, but then takes them out and runs out of the locker room like a bat out of hell. It couldn't be!

He takes refuge in a nearby staff bathroom and locks the door, collapsing in the corner. They were talking about those parties - dog fights, or whatever they're called.

The parties where boys take ugly girls and win prizes for it.

ing Park Chanyeol!

Tears stream from his eyes and he feels shock when he touches them. How dare he. How dare he! How could Chanyeol do this! How could he even care about it!

Baekhyun grinds his teeth together and his hands shake. He can't believe this was happening. After all that, it was an act? 
Was that even possible? He reflects on Chanyeol's orb. It was too big for that to be possible, right?

, he didn't believe that bull anyway.

He thinks he's ugly, eh? He'll show them. He'll show them how wrong they were for messing with the nerd.

Baekhyun scoops himself off the floor and wipes his nose. He'll show them all.  Baekhyun pulls out his phone to call his brother to come pick him up. He has a lot of work to do.

 

 

Trips to the store. Lots of them. Going back and forth because one item didn't work. Dressing rooms and hangers. Itchy tags. Tight seams. Hair in his eyes. Hair out of his eyes. The burn of bleach. The burn of dyes. Cold liquid. Bristles. Close your eyes. Open. Close.

Open.

He stands outside the address hastily given to him before, now too nervous to knock on the door. There were cars in the driveway, so he knew it was correct. So much for all those speeches of bravado he had given earlier with his brother's friends.

He pulls his lips into a line and raises a hand to the door. He knocks once and the talking inside shushes. Baekhyun braces himself and keeps his face straight. They said it looked better that way.

The door unlocks, then opens, and it's Chanyeol.

"Baek - oh, whoa. Baekhyun." He stands there, dumbfounded. Baekhyun doesn't respond.

"Uh, you... come in?"

Baekhyun nods and lumbers inside, looking around carefully. His cold facade starts to slip away when he doesn't see anyone. Unless the party wasn't in this room, but there was pizza and a few balloons. One of them was decorated with confetti and fancy cursive writing that he can't read outright.

Chanyeol places his arm around him and Baekhyun tenses in response. 

"Hey," Chanyeol's voice cracks and Baekhyun can feel his eyes watching him even as he speaks outwardly, "Guys!"

"Surprise!"

People appear from around corners and jump into view. Jongdae had a handful of balloons. Kyungsoo was holding a cake while Kai steadied it with an extra set of arms. Sehun, Yixing, and the others were running down from the upstairs, holding streamers in their hands. Minseok jumps them from behind the front door.
Baekhyun jerks backwards in surprise from the onslaught and Chanyeol holds him in place with his arm.

"Happy Birthday!" They cheer and Chanyeol shakes him with enthusiasm. 

"Oh my gosh, Baekhyun, you look so hot!"

Baekhyun is speechless. He stares and tries to take it all in - birthday! That's what he was forgetting! He forgot his own birthday! But, Chanyeol didn't. Chanyeol didn't forget.

He looks at at Chanyeol's beaming face and tears start running from his eyes. Of course this wasn't a dirty prank. How could it be when Chanyeol's been in love with him for years? At the sight, a few of the guys lower their outstretched hands and Jongdae coos. 

Baekhyun grabs Chanyeol's shirt and crumples it in his hand. He releases it when Chanyeol comes in for a hug and Baekhyun slaps his arm. The taller looks at him in brief playful confusion but he does it again.

"I though you were messing with me," Baekhyun takes a step forward when Chanyeol leans away from his hits, "That you thought I was a joke!"

He grabs Chanyeol by the collar of his shirt and pulls him forward, not enough to take him off balance, but just enough to kiss him.

The friends whistle and call them out, but Baekhyun blocks his hearing. Chanyeol's hands find their place - one on the back of his neck, the other around his waist. He pulls them closer and Chanyeol kisses him deeper before Baekhyun feels embarrassed again and pulls away. Chanyeol looks dazed afterwards.

"I didn't make this cake for nothing, lovebirds!" Kyungsoo scolds and Baekhyun would be turning red if he wasn't wearing makeup. He pushes Chanyeol away and hastily wipes his eyes to save his makeup, but he curses when his fingers are black. Chanyeol leans closer to him again and Baekhyun looks at him in confusion until his lips are being captured again. Jongdae takes a picture and cheers them on. 

This time Chanyeol gently parts the kiss and steps closer until their bodies were pressed. His eyes were hooded and glassy, still watching Baekhyun's mouth.

"How did you know my birthday?"

"You underestimate my crush on you."

Baekhyun sniffs and nods his head slowly. He rests his forehead on Chanyeol's chest, who wraps arms around him.

"Yah! Guys? Party?"

Baekhyun looks up and remembers that the others were there. Chanyeol grabs his hand with a wide smile and brings him over for cake and pizza.

 

Then, when the house was dim with a movie and the two were alone in the kitchen, Chanyeol's glow chases away the dark, and soon the soft illumination of his soul orb joins him. Baekhyun approaches him carefully and removes his jacket. They were sitting behind the island, even though it was obvious where they were, but none of the friends dared to disturb their little moment.

Baekhyun begins to cup hands, but then he takes them back and tugs the collar of his shirt down to expose part of his chest and collarbone. Chanyeol swallows and brings his orb closer, holding it with one hand and pushing it against the skin above Baekhyun's heart, and it glides right in, and then he too shows the faint beginnings of a glow.

Both of the glows softly fade together and Baekhyun feels sensitive to the dark, like Chanyeol was supposed to be lit up still, but the settling darkness said something in itself. They end up with their sides pressed together, Baekhyun leaning his head on Chanyeol's shoulder as the sounds of the movie intensify, and he dares to smile, especially when he can suddenly hear Chanyeol dozing off right next to him.

His body suddenly goes limp and Baekhyun jumps to catch him when he slumps forward, but Chanyeol is heavier than he expects and the weight of his body sinks them down, just until Baekhyun is practically on his back. When it happens, Chanyeol opens his eyes and grins playfully, and Baekhyun pushes him to get him off. It doesn't work.

Chanyeol's thumb brushes his cheek and he presses their foreheads together, the flickering shadows casted from the movie lights changing around them. He sighs from the weight and Chanyeol cups his face to kiss him on the forehead where they were connected, then touching his lips to his cheek, and then his chin. Baekhyun purses his lips expectedly and Chanyeol's grin widens to kiss him gently, making a little excited sound as he suddenly wraps his arms around him, snuggles down, and goes still, content.

The hardwood against his back is uncomfortable, but Baekhyun lifts a hand to card it through Chanyeol's hair, reflecting over the week, and he smiles faintly, relaxed and tranquil.

And it's only after a few minutes pass that he tries to shift into a new position, where he realizes Chanyeol's actually fallen asleep this time, meaning he'll be stuck like this until he can pull it together enough to kick him awake. Baekhyun rolls his eyes and shakes his head, crossing his arms under his head to get more comfortable.

ing Park Chanyeol.