TWO | KNR

Existentialism

SEOUL; 21:25

 

Nights like these, with snow falling excessively outside and the air having a complete chill to it made Na Ra feel somber, like a dark cloud had suddenly loomed over her head, causing her glum mood. After busing the tables around the warmly lit café, she had her whole body leant up against the counter, her chin propped up on her tightly closed knuckles and her eyes grazing the whole space with a frown on her face.

     "Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?" Na Ra snapped out of her trance, quite startled by the deep voice of her co-worker, Chanyeol. He gave her a wide grin, lifting her spirits up a bit. Chanyeol was always a mood maker, allowing others to laugh and feel happy around him. He always seemed to know how to bring good vibes to every single place he walked on, and that was the main reason why they both started to become friends. 

Chanyeol was a university student, just like her, although he was a year older and studying music instead of art direction. Chanyeol composed music, knew how to play every damn instrument known to mankind, and sang, too. He worked at the café to add some money for the funding of his musical equipments or performed in gigs with his other friends from the music department, like Jongdae and Junmyeon. Jongdae was a phenomenal singer, and was already signed with a famous record label. Although already a few years older than him, they still managed to become friends. Chanyeol once invited Na Ra to watch a musical starring Jongdae, and that was how they first met. Junmyeon, on the other hand, was a rather chill person. He had this wealthy and organized aura surrounding him, yet he was surprisingly humble and comfortable to be with. Na Ra liked Chanyeol's friends, she was always invited to come hang out with them all the time.

     "It's the cold, I  think. Makes me think about my shift at the bar tonight and how freezing it's gonna be." Na Ra worked night shifts at a local bar in the city, and although a bar's atmosphere would most likely be hot and clammy, she wasn't necessarily dressed appropriately. Their uniforms were a pair of tight black shorts, a white dress shirt, and tall black heels, which Ji Hye didn't necessarily like. They were allowed to wear slacks, but only occasionally, so she cursed herself for failing to wash the only two pairs she owned. 

     "Then maybe you should just go straight home. Tell your boss you have the flu because of the sudden cold." Chanyeol suggested, but Na Ra just shrugged, quite hesitating. She honestly considered the option of just calling it a day and ringing up Yoo Na from the bar that she's feeling under the weather, but then it'd be a waste. 

She needs the money, which means she couldn't just slack off and do whatever else she wanted aside from working. She needs money to get through college, pay her rent, buy food and necessities, have some left for herself, and a little to send back home to aid for her younger siblings' needs as well. Her parents work hard, too, juggling several jobs just like she does, but it's never enough. Her mother works as a maid for a wealthy family during the day and at the convenience store until the early morning, meanwhile her father works as a taxi driver. All of their hardships aren't enough, considering the fact that her younger brother is sick. He has always been in and out of the hospital, having a really weak immune system. Na Ra initially wanted to just quit school and work, but then her parents forced her not to. Education's a must, and it will surely help her to find a better paying job.

     "I'll have to work, though, Chanyeol." Na Ra replied, which in turn earned her a sad, knowing smile from the boy. Chanyeol knew all about her worries, about her family, and about why she was always cautious and diligent. They have been friends since Na Ra first stepped into the school, and she always thanked the heavens that she had bumped into this clumsy boy on her way to her lectures. Na Ra initially found him annoying, but soon enough, she realized how much she needed a person like Chanyeol in her life.

     "I'll try if I could drop by tonight. We've got a quick gig at another bar just nearby." Chanyeol said, bringing a slight feeling of positive anticipation inside Na Ra. 

     "Thanks, Yeol." Na Ra breathed. It seemed like a simple task for everyone else including Chanyeol, but it meant so much for Na Ra. For someone like her, she has learned to appreciate even the most unsophisticated things in life.