Final

The Winter Lovers

 

A day in the early April. Even though it began with a warm morning, as if the sun goddess got exhausted from giving her light away, a small darkness grew more earlier than it was expected. A cool breeze filled up the entire town shutting up everyone in their homes. The bright light rays of street lamps cut through the thick layers of mist filling everywhere with unknown colors. Small snowflakes gathered up to make big balls of snow on the gloved palms of the small children playing around, throwing the freezingly cold balls at each other, excitement written all over themselves. It was a day for the prince of spring to enter the city of Seoul. But the snow princess was much earlier to appear. The news of snow falling was so sudden. People at work grumbled about the change of weather. Even the people at home were not so happy about it, except for the part that they'll be getting those lovely chilly feels of the coldness. But two boys became happy and excited when they saw the snow fall in the noon. One who came to this world in December, the month of winter. And the other who fell deeply in love with the secret wonders of winter. 

"Jinki, come soon will you.."

A frustrated whine left Jonghyun not knowing when exactly Jinki would come out of their bedroom. He could hear their closet door opening and closing which only meant that Jinki hasn't stopped clothing up his self. The younger one spent a long twenty minutes of time flipping through tv channels only to find out that there wasn't any enjoyable thing to watch for the moment. At the end his level of frustration reached its peak, which was rare, all because he couldn't wait any longer to cuddle with his husband. Can you imagine an angry little puppy?

"Wait I'm coming!!!"

It was the fifth time he heard that same sentence. Jonghyun sighed again.

"You're lying!!"

"Hehe.. No it's real this time"

The familiar voice was getting near so he looked back from the couch he was sitting, only to find a small face with a sunshine smile peeking out from hundreds of clothes, standing in front of his eyes.

"Tada.. how do I look?"

Jinki twirled to show off his greatest ever idea of warming up his self. He was just too excited of the cold weather as his husband, but he was concerned about his health too. Catching a cold means staying away from work for a few days and he would never let that happen.

"You look so comfy"

Jonghyun patted the empty space he made on the couch beside him. Soon the bundle of clothes jumped to his place and covered themselves with a heavy blanket he brought with him. He snuggled closer to Jonghyun nearly squeezing him. But the younger one didn't dare to push him away even a tiny bit cause that was the exact kind of warmth he was craving for all that time. He put his hands around Jinki hugging him even more closely.

"It's funny how both of us love winter this much"

An endless smile filled Jonghyun's entire being who started to think about the same thing. It was the small things like that which built the base of their relationship. They knew it and were always glad about it. The thought of having so many similar feelings, which was hard to find with couples like them, it made them feel so much special. A strong base is needed in order to love bloom between two people and they undoubtedly had it.

"What is it?"

Jinki curious of the reason behind Jonghyun's big big smile, looked up from his little hideout inside the blanket to get an answer for his big big question.

"Nothing. Just rememberd how I first fell for you"

 

 

"Kim Jonghyun that's enough now"

Kibum ordered out to his stupid best friend who was lying in the snow, busily flapping his arms and legs up and down. Jonghyun wanted the perfect print of his self on the snowy ground just the way he wanted it to look like. Although he was shivering so much and was sure that it'll most probably cause a fever later on, he didn't wanted to give up on his small art until it was beautifully created.

Kibum was almost going to pull his friend out of the thick layers of snow when Jonghyun lifted his self up being careful not to do any damage to what he finally made. He came to Kibum and looked at the masterpiece he created. A proud smile filled his small face and he sighed in relief.

"So.., what do you think this is?"

He was curious about what Kibum's reaction would be like. He thought that the more his best friend would appreciate it, the more he would likely recieve a better reaction from the one he actually wanted to show it.

"Mm.. butterfly?"

Even after thinking for the longest time, Kibum could only see a messed up image of a big butterfly before his eyes. But little did he knew that Jonghyun expected more.

"Anything else?"

Jonghyun was disheartened from what he heard since that wasn't the answer he wanted. Didn't it come out well? He thought.

"Um... nope. What do you want it to be?"

He sighed so heavily.

"Nothing.."

It made him completely frustrated to think that he failed to make what he wanted. But he was a strong boy and wouldn't let any chance of getting what he wanted. He took his phone out of his pocket and took a photo of the so called 'butterfly'. He's more imaginative that Kibum. He strengthened his mind. Then he quickly sent it to Jinki adding a quesion of "Hyung, what do you think this is?".

He waited hours for a reply. It wasn't like he didn't expect it since there was a thirteen hours time difference between Korea and Canada and since he sent the message at noon it meant that Jinki was sleeping. And he also knew that when it comes to sleep Jinki was no less than a lazy bear. But what made everything worse for the boy was the fever he caught up. He was too tired and sick to even stay awake but the strong will to know Jinki's answer kept himself away from falling into sleep.

It was around nine at night when he saw his phone lighting up. Still lying half consciously on the bed, he quickly grabbed it and opened the message he waited for the longest time.

"A fairy!! Am I right?"

His face bloomed up as if he was never sick. A pinkish blush filled up his cheeks. He finally felt so happy and cursed his best friend from inside for not noticing that it was a beautiful fairy he built on the snowy ground. But his Jinki hyung guessed it right. So without wasting another minute he typed a reply.

"Yeah!! You got it right!!"

It didn't took much time for him to recieve another message.

"You made it, right? It's beautiful. Just like you"

His icy heart melted into a river of water hearing those words from Jinki. His heart raised but he couldn't understand why. His face reddened even more but he couldn't come up with a reason. He felt thousand times happy getting butterflies in his stomach and finally, the feeling of love knocked the door to his heart telling that he has fallen in love.

 


It was a day that would never leave Jonghyun's memories. It always amazed him about how Jinki saw him, described him and loved him. Being a person with poetic thoughts, he had tried so many times to find a word to describe Jinki. Perfect was just an underestimation. Jinki had everything Jonghyun wanted in a man. Handsome appearance, a sweet voice, good brains, a kind, caring heart. They were just a few things. But what made Jonghyun fall for him more, was the trust Jinki had for the younger one. It wasn't like Jonghyun would tell Jinki all the time to trust him in everything. But it also wasn't like Jonghyun has broken that trust. Jinki was a mirracle that happened in his life and he would never do anything to loose that big mirracle.

"Jinki-ah, thank you for coming back"

He whispered to his husband's soft dark brown hair hugging the older one more tightly. But Jinki looked up again and pulled himself a little bit away which made the younger one a little bit sad for losing the warmth. A pout played on Jinki's mouth and Jonghyun had always known that it was his biggest weekness. How adorable his husband looked when he made those cute expressions even without knowing. He chuckled seeing Jinki's aegyo filled face.

"What happened?" He asked.

"How can you say something like that when I actually never left you.. I'm hurt"

He pouted more and Jonghyun worried because he was the cause of Jinki being hurt like that. He has always wanted to protect the older one from everything and whenever he would fail, it made him hate his self for not being a good husband. He, the gaurdian angel of Jinki should never do a single thing to hurt him. But he has failed again and it made him sad and angry.

"I know. I know th-"

"You know that it wasn't my fault for going far away like that. It was all because of mom's work and I had no other choice but to go with her. I've never wanted to distance myself from you. Even while I was there you never left my mind.."

It was Jonghyun's turn to be hurt because of the harsh words that came out from Jinki which was quite a rare thing to happen. He didn't imagine that what he told would hurt Jinki that much and if he did, he surely would have stopped his stupid mouth from blurting out that stupid sentence. He felt so stupid. Anger blew up in his mind sadness creeping to his hurting heart and without him knowing his big eyes turned into two pools of tears.

"Jinki-ah..."

He kept looking at Jinki with teary eyes trying to find a little bit of comfort or a tiny bit of forgiveness in his eyes, even though he was so much certain that he didn't deserve any of the two things. Thoughts of his husband leaving him builded up in his mind scaring him, making him hate his self so much for being so discourteous with his words. Jinki was sensitive. He knew that. And it was all his fault that Jinki was hurting that way. He knew that as well.

All that time Jinki was angry about himself for throwing such harsh words at the love of his life and he couldn't build up his courage to look at him. But when he finally looked at his husband seeing those tear filled eyes, he knew that he messed up again.

"Hyunie..."

He knew he was wrong and he most certainly knew that his Jonghyun didn't mean anything bad. It was all his sudden anger that ruined the moment. Jinki thought that his hot tempered self will fade away once he started to date Jonghyun, but unluckily it only got worse and it only hurt the one he loved the most in the world. Jonghyun was his everything. He knew it. But he wasn't strong enough to stop hurting him. He knew that as well.

"I'm sorry"

A mumble left Jonghyun's mouth, small drops of tears falling down making a wet spot on their blanket. Jinki cursed himself from inside. He was the cause for Jonghyun's tears and it was the most unbearable thing for him.

"Hyunie... please..."

He got closer to his love and slowely cupped the younger one's cheeks with both his chubby palms trying to figure out what he should do to make everything right again. And finally something came to his genius mind.

"Happy Birthday"

He pulled out his biggest eye smile making the younger one chuckle in between his tears.

"It's the twelfth time"

A smile started to dance on Jonghyun's face erasing the sadness and a feeling of relief made him happy again. All the scary thoughts finally left his mind, that blinded him from seeing the love Jinki gave him all that time, and until forever too. He smilled again like a flower blooming after a heavy rain.

"Didn't thought you'll count"

They laughed together making the worry filled house light up again.

"Sorry Hyunie. I didn't mean to hurt you"

"No darling it's my fault. You don't have to be sorry"

It was a normal couple thing. Taking the blame to their ownselves. And in that household it was Jinki's thing to stop being so cheesy.

"Alright let's stop now. Did you realize that we lost a lot of time of cuddling?"

He found a soft tissue out of nowhere and wipped the younger one's tears away. After completing his task he again snuggled closer to his husband searching for the warmth both of them missed.

"We promised we would never leave each other that day. Remember?"

He somehow found Jonghyun's small hand under the blanket and caressed his finger with the silver ring that was sealed with the promise to be together, loving each other forever. An unbreakable promise.

"I do. And I will, until the very end"

Jonghyun loved winter. It made him feel safe. Jinki knew about millions of reasons of why Jonghyun loved the cold season. But Jonghyun has never told him the most special reason. It'll forever be his own little secret that no one will ever find out. God sent a precious winter boy to him. To love him. To live with him. To grow old with him. That's what he loved about winter the most. And every winter it was warm with Jinki beside him.

"Happy Birthday"

"Thirteen.."

 

Hello everyone!! I hope you loved it. Don't forget to leave a comment. Have a nice day. Bundle up yourselves if you're feeling cold. Hehe...