FINAL

Admiring You From Afar

 


I am Ahn Yeseul… One of the girls who completely admire the most popular guy in school named Wong Yukhei, a.k.a Lucas.

 

Knowing that he almost have everything, I’ve always thought that I will never get a chance from him.

 

Well, what can I say? I’m just an ordinary girl… admiring him from afar.

 

“Yah yah yah yah yah!” Subin, my friend, came to us running, “Guys, guess what?”

 

“What?” Hyunjoo and I asked in unison. The three of us entered the classroom and sat in our seats.

 

“I heard Lucas just rejected the confession of Soojung--- Soojung as in the school’s queen bee!”

 

“Omg really?” Hyunjoo then turned to me, “Now you heard that, Yeseul? Stop being so negative. You still have a chance!”

 

“Yah can’t you think about it? Even the school’s queen bee got rejected, how much more if it was me? I told you I don’t have a chance”

 

“Yah I’m still not finish here ok?” Subin added, “I also heard the reason why Lucas rejected Soojung. It’s because he already like someone else and this mysterious girl, Lucas says she’s in class 2A and guess what???? We’re in class 2A!! kyaaaaaahh”

 

O_____O

 

Both of them started squealing.

 

Really? Is she saying the truth?

 

Seeing Subin’s facial expression right now, she looks really happy.

 

So she’s not lying??

 

With this, I smiled widely and can’t help but join them in squealing too.

 

“Omg really I do still have a chance!!” >____<

 

“Of course Yeseul you have a chance! You’re pretty, smart and kind. No wonder the other day I caught him staring at you- It’s not impossible!”

 

“I’m so happy for you, Yeseul-yah!” Hyunjoo exclaimed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5pm and class has finally ended. I started to pack my things up. After waving goodbye to my friends, I was about to go home when I almost forgot to bring my math notebook, which I just left inside my locker earlier.

 

And so, I fasten my pace in the hallway and stopped in front of my locker to find a folded note inside.

 

 

 

 

Oh, it’s that annoying admirer again. :3

 

 

 

I opened it and read...

 

 

Hope you’re doing well because it’s one of the reasons that will make me happy… <3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-______-

 

 

 

 

It’s already been years since this guy started slipping notes inside my locker and it’s annoying me now! Since when will he ever going to reveal himself? I’m becoming more curious- ugh!

 

I crumpled up the note and threw it away in annoyance but then I almost hit someone with the arm I swung, who just walked passed by me in the hallway.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

O_________O

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lucas?!

 

 

 

 

 

 

He stopped in his tracks and looked down at the crumpled paper I threw from a distance and then looked back at me.

 

He somewhat looked like he was kinda shock. I don’t know why- maybe because I almost hit him?

 

I could feel my heart beating so fast as our eyes met and I started to panic on the inside. I didn’t know what to do-


“S-Sorry!”

 

I bowed down to him and quickly get the math notebook from my locker and then ran back to our classroom.

 

I leaned on our classroom’s door, panting so hard but then I couldn’t help but formed a big smile on my face.

 

I can’t believe it. I just had my first interaction with Lucas! Asgdjdkglskdjfh >___<

 

 

 

-THE NEXT DAY-

 

“Hey Yeseul!” Hyunjoo and Subin entered the cafeteria, coming towards me, “So did you already gave the letter to him? :D”

 

It’s Valentines Day today. The three of us actually made a deal to give a confession letter to each one of our crushes.

 

“Nope! Not yet” ^___^

 

“What?? It’s already 6pm! It’s getting dark- everyone’s going home”

 

“Ooh chill ok? I will definitely hand it to him later” I confidently said as I took a sip of my juice, “So how about you guys?”

 

“Well, I already gave mine to Jiseok and he said he will give me one in return! I just hope he’s the same guy who keeps leaving notes in my locker as well”

 

“Yeah, me too! And Yeongsan says he was really happy because he was expecting for it!”

 

I watched them started squealing in front of me.

 

“Oh I’m so happy for the both of you” ^___^

 

I wonder what will Lucas going to say after I give him my confession letter tho?

 

“Well, I have to get going now” I stood up.

 

“Omo you will finally give it to him? Can we come?” T___T

 

“No, it should just be the two of us. Don’t worry I will tell you guys tomorrow- bye!” ^__^

 

“Okay, fighting!”

 

 

I waved goodbye to them and ran back to our classroom.

 

I started packing my things up before I could give the letter to Lucas but then I saw a note on my desk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hyunjoo,


You may not know about this but I already like you since then. You’re the only one who makes my heart behaving like this-

 

(oh for Hyunjoo? A response from Jiseok? he must’ve been mistakenly put it on my desk lol)

 

I’m actually the one who keeps giving you notes secretly and I finally decided to reveal myself now.

 

(aaw reading this makes me so happy for my friend!)

 

Hope we will get close someday <3 Take care and be safe always.

 

To: Hyunjoo
From: Lucas

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Did I read that right? Wait-

 

I read the last part of the note once again and felt like the whole world just stopped.

 

So for all this time, it’s Hyunjoo whom he really likes? It’s actually Hyunjoo whom he was staring at?

 

It’s already been Hyunjoo since from the start…...

 

 

 

I folded back the note, feeling something sharp that just pinched me right in the heart.

 

There were a lot of girls out there, why does it have to be my bestfriend?

 

 

I didn’t know what to do. I went outside the school. I ran and ran and ran in the street. I don’t even have any idea where I am going.

 

Rain started to fall along with my tears and people were staring at me. I don’t really care what they think of me right now. All I care is to make this pain disappear I’m feeling just now.

 

I stopped at the park, covering my whole face with my hand as I fell down on my knees, continuing to cry.

 

If Lucas and I we’re not meant for each other… then I hope the right guy for me, which I was destined to spend the rest of my life with, will finally arrive. I just wish he’s here comforting me right now-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Strangely, I can no longer feel the raindrops landing on my skin but I can still hear the sound of it around me.

 

 

 

I looked up to see...

.

.

.

…an umbrella?

 

 

 

 

I quickly turned to find a very familiar figure of a person-

 

 

 

 

 

 

O___________O

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lucas!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I stood up, quickly wiping my tears away but then forgot I’m completely wet so there’s no need to.

 

 

What is he doing here?

 

 

My heart started to race as he let me share his umbrella with him. He’s so tall and I had to look up. I’ve never been this close to him before.

 

“It’s cold. Want to drink hot coffee?”

 

For a second, I stared at him and then nodded right away.

 

He asked me out? He doesn’t even know me, right?

.

.

.

But then I remembered he actually likes Hyunjoo, which in fact, my bestfriend. So of course he would know about me-

 

 

 

I watched Lucas taking his coat off and then the next thing I knew-

 

“Oh no you don’t have to- it’s fine” O___O

 

“I have 2 layers of coat. I can give you the other one”

 

Lucas put it around me. It smells so good- But still, I can’t help but got confused of his actions.

 

Why are you doing this? You already like someone else. Do you want me to get hurt even more?

 

But somehow, instead of feeling a pain right now, I can only feel some weird things flying inside my stomach-

 

We started to walk, on our way to buy a cup of coffee. Lucas's umbrella is kinda small, we had to stay even closer. I could feel our arms brushing against each other.

 

No one bothered to let out a single word and the raindrops were the only thing we can hear around us.

 

 

 

All I can ever say is…

 

Why do I find this kind of situation, romantic just now?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We arrived at the convenience store as we sat acrossed each other.

 

I was literally nervous the whole time. I just can’t believe I’m spending the night with Lucas right now.

 

“Saw you earlier at the park, crying.”

 

I looked at him nervously but his eyes were fix outside the window as he sips his coffee.

 

“Whatever’s the reason why you cried, just keep on going so cheer up”

 

“T-Thanks”

 

Pabo, you’re the reason why I cried.

 

“U-Uhmm.. So I heard you like someone in our class?”

 

I pretended not to know.

 

Lucas looked at me and as soon as we made eye contact, he then quickly looked back at the window.

 

“Y-Yeah”

 

“Well then, I bet she’s really lovely”

 

He smiled, “Yes, she is..”

 

Yea, can’t blame him. Hyunjoo is indeed a lovely person-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As soon as I finished my coffee, I stood up right away. I don’t want to stay any longer. It just makes me feel so bad everytime I remember that he likes someone else and the worst is, it’s actually my bestfriend.

 

 

“I’m-I’m going now. Here’s your coat and thanks for the coffee. bye-“

 

“w-wait!”

 

 

 

We stopped outside the convenience store. Luckily, the rain was gone.

 

"I will send you home.."

 

He looked like he was shy while saying those words as he looked down on the ground. Lucas sending me home?

 

“Oh no it’s fine I’m-“

 

“No, I insist. Please let me”

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Why is he doing this? It would only make my heart flatter but on the other way around, I knew he doesn’t even like me. So why bother doing this to me? Does he really want me to get hurt even more?

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the end, we walked at the sidewalk silently. Lucas will be sending me home since he insist.

 

I bet he’s just being really nice to me because I’m Hyunjoo’s bestfriend and with that, he would finally get a chance to get closer to her.

 

 

“Still feeling cold?”

 

“Y-Yeah… a bit?”

 

“Here give me your hand”

 

 

Lucas offered his hand in front of me. I was hesitant to take it at first but I held it in the end anyway.

 

Feeling his hand intertwined mine, I could feel my face burned.

 

But then I was taken by surprise when Lucas suddenly put both of our hands inside his coat’s pocket.

 

 

 

 

O____O

 

 

 

 

I immediately looked up to find him flashing a smile as his eyes were fixed on the sidewalk ahead of us.

 

It feels warm and I was honestly flattered of what he did. It was perfect...

.

.

.

.

.

.

…But then I remembered-

 

 

To: Hyunjoo
From: Lucas

 

 

I don’t understand him. He likes Hyunjoo and why is he doing these kind of things with me?

 

Is he playing with my feelings?

 

With that, my eyes started to get blurry, holding back my tears from falling. I aggressively took my hand out of his pocket, taking him by surprise.

 

“Why are you doing this to me?! Lucas, stop playing with my feelings”

 

“what..“

 

“I know you like Hyunjoo and you know what? If you really like her then why don’t you go do these things with her??”

 

“Hy-Hyunjoo?”

 

I could see he was taken aback as soon as I blurted out Hyunjoo’s name.

 

“Yes, Hyunjoo and you’re such a player I won’t ever allow you to go near my bestfriend- If ever I find out you hurt her feelings too, I will never forgive you!”

 

“…”

 

“If you have nothing else to say then goodbye! Don’t you ever talk to me again” I continued to walked, leaving him there standing alone.

 

“Hyunjoo…”

 

I heard him mutter before I could even get far away. Lucas, from now on, I hate you! How can you play with my feelings?

 

"Hyunjoo... Aren't your name Hyunjoo?"

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

I stopped in my tracks. What did he say?

 

“Your name is not Hyunjoo?”

 

 

I turned to face Lucas and we made eye contact. With this, my heart started to race as he walked closer to me.

 

“M-My name’s Yeseul. What do you mean?”

 

 

“Yeseul…” Lucas paused for a second, “So you’re Yeseul. For all this time I thought your name is Hyunjoo. I got it in your instagram account- Hyunjoo99 and it was full of your pictures”

 

 

Just then, I remembered I actually have an instagram account with Hyunjoo’s name- It’s actually Hyunjoo’s account in the first place but she made a new one so I asked her to just give the old one to me. I started posting my pictures in that account and always forget to change the name… but that was just a long time ago! I can’t even remember the password of it now.

 

“But that account was 4years ago-“

 

 

 

 

 

“…that’s because I already like you since then.....”

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Am I hearing things right? I didn’t know what to say.

 

 

He chuckled, “So that’s why you were behaving like this the whole time. I thought you wouldn’t want to spend your time with me. But then you’re actually just jealous-…..” He patted my head, "Don't worry because you're the only one I like, Yeseul-ah"

 

 

"but.... what- how- when- why-" I stuttered. I don't even know what I'm saying!

 

 

Lucas looked down at me and caressed my cheeks. I could hear my own heart beating so loud and I’m so nervous he might hear it!

 

 

 

“....How?” he smiled, “Seeing your lovely and unique smile actually made my heart melt. And I think that’s how I fell for you” Lucas leaned closer to give me a pecked on my forehead.

 

 

 

“When? I don’t exactly know when but I think it’s the moment when the first time I laid my eyes on you” He give me another peck but this time, at the tip of my nose.

 

 

 

“And why? Why I fell in love with you?” He smiled, “It’s because you’re you, Yeseul-ah”

 

 

 

And the next thing I knew, I felt Lucas’s lips surrounded mine. It was very soft and smooth. I don’t fully understand what I’m feeling right now. I somehow feel so nervous and at the same time, excited.

 

I wrapped my arms around Lucas's neck as he wrapped his around my waist. Here I am, kissing the guy whom I've been admiring for throughout these past 3 years. It's just amazing to think how unexpected things are actually the most beautiful memories that will ever going to happen in your whole life.

 

4 years ago… Lucas already like me until now- So that means he likes me first?

 

And just then I realized……. He’s that annoying admirer who keeps on giving me notes as well??

 

With this, I pulled away from the kiss which brought him by surprise.

 

 

“S-Sorry… I should have ask for permission-“

 

 

“No, it’s not that.” I just looked at his chest in front of me. I couldn’t look up straight in his eyes, “I was just wondering why you like me that much. I mean, Lucas, you almost have everything but me I don’t even have anything…”

 

 

He lifted my chin up to meet his gaze, “How can you say you have nothing when honestly you have everything? You have the kindness, beauty and intelligence...” the corner of his lips then started to curved up, “Lastly, you also have my heart. You just have no idea that you have been carrying it the whole time…“

 

 

 

 

 

 

I nearly cried at his words as he opened his coat in front me.

 

 

“Come-“

 

 

Lucas flashed a smile and I went closer to hug him. He closed his coat around me, returning my hug as well. I shut my eyes, smelling his scent and feeling the warmth he brought in his coat and arms around me. And the last thing I knew, I heard him whisper...

 

 

 

“I love you and you have no idea how long I’ve been Admiring You From Afar too...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-END-

 

 

Author's Note:

What do you think? Please leave a comment below because it will inspire me to do more!

Thanks for reading- :)