Fin.

Kiss of midnight

2:11 am

 

 

You are having one of those days again where you can't find sleep which is taking a toll of your sanity.

 

It was your fourth attempt to slumber, tossing and turning, yet your eyes and mind just won't cooperate.

 

 

Thankfully for you, your class doesn't start till noon so you still have eight hours, more or less to sleep.

 

Thoughts of your exams, extra curricular activities and other stuff have clouded your mind resulting for your rest to be delayed.

 

 

You heaved out a distressed sigh. You faced your right and saw the other person on the other side of your shared room still peacefully sleeping on her bed.

 

 

Bae Joohyun.

 

 

The girl you have been rooming since the day you entered college.
 

You scooted closer till you reached the edge of your bed with your hand under your head and the other dangling on the side of your bed.

 

You envied her. You wished you had the ability to sleep the moment you close your eyes, which she possesses and you don't.

 

You pushed yourself up to stand and quietly approached her. You slightly turned up the thermostat of your AC and draped her blanket all the way under her chin.

 

 

You slowly made your way out. Quietly, in order to not wake her up. You took a glance then locked the door in front of you.

 

You proceeded to the kitchen and made yourself some milk. Hoping it might help you fall asleep later.

 

 

You were just silently enjoying your glass of milk when you heard droplets of rain hitting the roof.

You stood up and checked the weather outside, which wasn't possible for your windows were covered with soft fog and beads of rainfall trickling down from your roof.

But the harsh sounds from up where you stand where evident enough that it wasn't just a light rain.
 

 

You sat back down and rested your back against the cold wooden chair and sipped your half empty glass of milk.

 

You listened to the sound of the rain outside. It was pouring harder now. You were starting to get worried. You never liked rain when it's mad.

 

Cause when it pours down like this thunderclaps always follow. And the sound of it is a big no no for you.
 

 

You anxiously stood up from your seat and put your mug on the sink. You immediately turned to head back to your room. And as if on cue, you heard grumbling outside then there was a series of blinding flash outside your window. 


 

You stopped your tracks when you felt goosebumps all over your body. Then thunderclaps harshly echoed on every corners of your abode. Followed by the sound of your name being shouted inside your bedroom.

 

 

Your head shot up to the door of your room. You still haven't left the spot you had frozen from when a form emerged from the door with her hands on both of her ears and ran towards you.

 

She tackled you a bit hard but you managed to hold the weight and immediately wrapped a hand around her.

 

 

Joohyun isn't fond by the sounds of thunder. Sometimes it can be frightening for her, especially when it's firm and louder to her liking.

 

 

You knew that two weeks after moving in. When you were busy with your plates one night. It was raining like this. You didn't mind it until you heard a shriek when you heard the sound made by the thunder.

 

 

You immediately whipped your head to her direction and found her crouching on the corner of her nightstand, as if she was hiding from someone, with both of her hands covering her ears and eyes squinted shut.

 

Since then you've been insightful of her.

 

You whispered assurance and patted her back softly while your other hand secured her in your hug. She was shivering under your embrace.

 

 

"I'm here, I'm here" you sighed. You swayed your body softly.

"You... You weren't there when I woke up" she mumbled softly under you. You stopped moving and stared at her crown. She might've felt you staring so she looked up. 


 

You weren't that tall but she was a midget so your height difference made it easy for you to go wrapping her petite body around inside your arms and even cause her to look up when you two are talking.

 

"I panicked... I'm sory" her eyes were watery a she looked at you. Her pout was adorable. Even when she cries she's beautiful. Her vulnerability makes you want to protect her. And you wished you would stay like this forever. 


 

With her depending on you. And her being your lifeline.

 

You smiled and wiped the threatening tear that was falling from the corner of her eyes. "I'm sorry. I was relieving myself with a glass of milk cause I couldn't sleep." you explained then she bobbed her head slightly. She stopped shivering now. And that was supposed to be the cue to let her go but she looked like she wasn't planning on letting you go any moment now.

 

The rain has also subsided. You looked at the wall clock and found out you've been rooted to your spot for almost half an hour now.

 

"Joohyun.."

 

"Mmm?"

 

"Let's go to sleep."

----

You felt a slight of fulfillment when you yawned your way out of the bathroom after you brushed your teeth.

 

You saw Joohyun sitting on your bed the moment you stepped out.

 

"What are you doing there?" you slightly chuckled. She looked like a kid with her legs crossed craddling the teddy bear you gave her. You sat in front of her, mimicking her sitting position.

 

You were caught off guard when she suddenly grabbed you by the collar and pulled you down resulting for you to fall sideways. A hand s on your stomach and a head rested on your chest. You prayed to God that she wouldn't hear how fast your heart beat is because that would be embarrassing.

 

 

And maybe she didn't.

 

 

You mumbled incoherent words then you heard her sigh. She looked up to you and planted a kiss on your chin, a few inches away from your lips.

 

 

You held your breath.

 

 

"Good night, Seulgi" she then returned to your chest and fell asleep.
 

 

While it took you minutes to come back to your senses. You stared at the frame that was rested next to you.
 

You gently wrapped your hands around her and relaxed. Though your heart beat was still practically beating out of your rib cage.
 

You heard light snores coming from her. She was already asleep. Then you yawned. Feeling your eyelids getting heavier each blink. You heaved a sigh.


 

"Good night, Joohyun"

 

 

You closed your eyes and drifted off to sleep with a smile painted on your lips.