ManHyuk Psychiatric Hospital

Silent Whisper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.〜・〜.

This is my first time writing a horror story. I hope you guys will like it.

.〜・〜.

 

 

 

 

“Isn’t this exciting!”, Taeyeon excitedly yelled as she hopped off the van.

 

Following her, Tiffany reluctantly looked at the surrounding and shivered as the cold fall air passed between them. In front of them, in the middle of trees and nothingness, stands a two-storey faded-white building.

 

The old psychiatric hospital had been abandoned for nearly four decades, it was left to rot in time and let the nature fed on it. The walkway to the Hospital has been covered with untamed grass and vegetation, vines were climbing the dirty walls, and several windows on her view were broken. As the darkness slowly crept, hoots of the owl, chirp of the insects and sound of wind passing by accompanied the silent of the night.

 

She bit her quivering lip and pulled her coat closer to her body. She glanced at her boyfriend who was busy preparing the equipments that they will be bringing to document the inside of the Hospital.

 

“Aren’t you excited Tiff?”, she removed her eyes from her boyfriend and glanced at Taeyeon who was looking at her with eyes dripping with excitement and fascination.

 

Tiffany sighed and crossed her arms as she looked away at the older but smaller girl. “I’m not! We shouldn’t even be here!”

 

She was then engulfed into a warm hug from behind. Looking up, she saw her boyfriend eyeing her with calm and comforting eyes. “Relax Tiffany, nothing bad will happen.”, he casually said before pulling away from her.

 

“But Seunghyun.”, Tiffany tugged the sleeves of his coat and was to protest when her stupid cousin in.

 

“Oh, Little Tiffany wants to be left here alone?”, slamming the door shut, JiYong ruffled her hair before pulling Taeyeon beside him.

 

Tiffany brushed her hair in annoyance, but her mind was contemplating whether to join them inside or be left inside the van. Alone. Being the scaredy cat that she was, she clung herself to Seunghyun’s arm and shook her head. “I’m going with you.”

 

“Good! Don’t be so scared Tiff. Just think of this as a haunted house in the amusement park.”, she peeked at Taeyeon who was giving her a comforting smile while fixing the body cam and mic on her jacket.

 

Seunghyun wrapped an arm around her and gave her a chaste kiss. “It’s okay baby, I’ll be here with you. I promise I will never leave you alone.”, he assured her, handing her the night vision body cam, mic and flashlights - a torch light and a body light with strap, Seunghyun helped her fix it on her coat and gave a soft tug to ensure the equipment is secured.

 

The group have 6 camcorders in total. Two body cams for the girls, two handheld night vision camcorder with an attached flashlight for the boys and two night vision camcorder on tripod that will be place one on the outside while the other one will be inside near the main entrance.

 

“Okay! Get ready everyone!”, JiYong happily announced as he places the first tripod and camcorder near them. The group walked near the entrance and used the building as their background. Giving out a signal, JiYong started recording their introduction.

 

“Hey everybody this is JiYong.”

 

“And this is Seunghyun.”

 

“And we are GDTOP.”, the duo exclaimed.

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes at the name that the two video blogger came up with. The duo, who were best friends since they were children, came up with an idea a year ago to investigate and document series of legends and folklore around the country. It became an instant hit and now they’ll be filming their first haunted documentary.

 

“And we have special guest today, say hi girls.”

 

“Hi! I’m Taeyeon, Jiyong’s girlfriend!”, the enthusiastic midget greeted the camera.

 

“Hello. I’m Tiffany, Seunghyun’s girlfriend.”, Tiffany bowed her head in front of the camera scoot closer to Seunghyun, who rested his hand on her shoulder.

 

“Today, we will be filming our very first haunted documentary.”, Seunghyun with his deep voice spoke. “And as per the request of our viewers, we will be visiting the infamous Manhyuk Psychiatric Hospital.”

 

JiYong was the first one to step on the Hospital entrance, there was a heavy rusty creak sound as JiYong pushed the white door. Taeyeon and JiYong entered, while Seunghyun held her hand as they followed the giddy couple.

 

Dark.

Dusty.

Smelly.

Silence.

 

That was what Tiffany noticed as soon as they step inside. She blinked for a few seconds as her eyes tried to readjust at the sudden darkness. It was dark, eerily dark, there was a shattered light from the moon which really doesn’t help. The other source of light comes from their flashlights. Dusty, considering that the place has been abandoned for decades the amount of dust that formed inside is noticeable. Then her nose twitched at the smell, the pungent smell of mould, rotten wood, dirt and vegetation filled the air.

 

She stood closer to Seunghyun and hide her face on his sleeves. He looked down at her, eyes asking what’s wrong with her. Shaking her head, she gave him a soft smile before putting a short distance against him.

 

She glanced at JiYong who placed the last camcorder and tripod a few meters away from the entrance. He then gestured at them to follow him in the middle of the foyer.

 

Looking around, she noticed that the place looks like it was abandoned in a haste. Everything was still in place, rows of cushioned ripped benches covered with cobwebs and dust, half-collapsed wooden reception table stood few feet away from them, lights hanging on the ceiling were covered with layers of dust. Vandals were written on the walls and floors. So, there were few strong hearted people who can enter the building.

 

“Tif-“

 

Tiffany’s scream was immediately muffled by Seunghyun’s hand who was glaring at JiYong who was laughing his off. She can feel her tears gathering in her eyes as her heart beats fast from nervousness and shocked. “Stop the Ji.”, Seunghyun hissed back at the other guy.

 

“Sorry Tiffany. I just can’t help it.”, JiYong scratched the back of his neck as he tried to calm her down.

 

Biting back the tears, Tiffany nods her head and looked up at Seunghyun. He let go and wiped the tear that fell from her eyes. “It’s okay baby. JiYong is just being an .”

 

Tiffany nods her head and wrapped her hands around Seunghyun’s bicep. The group then face the camera and continued their filming.

 

“Right now, we are inside the building. We are going to leave this camera as we go around the building.”, Seunghyun’s voice boomed around the silent building.

 

“Wait, can you tell us why did they abandon this building?”, Taeyeon interestedly asked.

 

JiYong turned his head towards his girlfriend and smiled widely. “Well, Sweetheart according to the rumors, this Hospital was closed by the government when the head psychologist of this hospital conducted numerous human experiments, all were killed in the process.”

 

“What the? Is that doctor crazy?”, Tiffany clung closer to Seunghyun. Then her eyes widen in fear. “Oh my gosh baby, 20 people were killed here. Let’s get out.”

 

“Shh. It’s just a rumor.”, Seunghyun patted her back in comfort. “I promised earlier, right? I won’t leave you. I’ll protect you.”, he whispered in her ear.

 

Tiffany nodded her head but didn’t moved away, Seunghyun placed his arm on her shoulder as they moved towards the door to the main building.

 

“As for your question if the doctor is crazy”, she lifted her head and stared at JiYong who was creepily grinning. “She’s crazy.”

 

“She? It’s a female doctor?”, Taeyeon stopped and turned her attention to JiYong.

 

JiYong nodded his head, one hand gripping on the camcorder. “Yes. It’s a she. The kind doctor fell in love with one of her patient. The couple then did a series of experiment on other patients and even nurses that resulted to death.”

 

Tiffany felt her heart stop at the revelation. Her mind started imagining different torturous experiments that she watched from films - Saw, Hostile, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Human Centipede and more. She started to hyperventilate which was noticed by Seunghyun.

 

“Breath In.”, he touched her back and gave it a rub. “Breath Out. Chill down baby. It’s an unfounded rumor. Nothing bad will happen.”, she looked up at Seunghyun and rubbed her chest as she calmed herself.

 

Taeyeon was the first one to enter the main hall while Jiyong filmed her. “That’s what you literally called crazy love.”

 

“Crazy? More like insane.”, Tiffany softly whispered but it was loud enough for the empty building. Even though she’s scared and angry at what they did to the patients, the romantic side of her still wants to know what happened to the couple.

 

“The doctor killed her lover.”, Tiffany quirked her eyebrow at his cousin’s story.

 

JiYong continued his story as they opened the first door in the main building. “She learned that the patient didn’t love her. But only used her so that he can satisfy his sadistic and psychotic nature.”

 

“And as for the doctor, she killed herself by drowning in the hospital’s bathtub while cradling the body of her lover.”, Seunghyun concluded the story as they all entered the room.

 

The first room was the staff room. Several rusted lockers were on the wall, broken chairs and tables littered the room. Shattered glasses from the window and dried leaves from the courtyard trees scattered inside the room.

 

Taeyeon and JiYong walked around the room, filming every corner that they can find. Seunghyun and Tiffany did the same, but they didn’t separate. They walked to the corner of the room when Seunghyun whipped his head to look at the open door.

 

“Baby?”, Tiffany whispered, she nervously stared at her boyfriend who was glaring at the door. “Seunghyun?”, she tugged the front of his coat as she called for him in louder voice.

 

They have now attracted the attention of JiYong and Taeyeon who were busy rummaging through the lockers.

 

“Hyu-“

 

“Did you hear that?”, Seunghyun asked no one in particular. His eyes were still staring at the open door.

 

They immediately point their flashlight and camera at the door and saw nothing.

 

“Baby? You’re scaring me.”

 

“There.”

 

JiYong stiffened for a moment, Taeyeon quietly walked near JiYong with eyes glued on the door, Seunghyun pulled Tiffany closer to him and Tiffany swallowed as she tries to hear what her boyfriend was talking about.

 

Seunghyun and Tiffany were the first one to step at the dark hallway. She was clutching on his jacket as her eyes roamed around the area. JiYong and Taeyeon followed, their flashlights pointing everywhere in the room.

 

“Hello.”, Seunghyun pointed his camera at the wall leading to the intersection.

 

“Is there anyone in here?”, JiYong shouted in a calm manner.

 

Seunghyun leads them to walked towards the end hall when a soft knock was heard on the door.

 

Stopping in her tracks, Tiffany nervously turned her head towards the close door and points the flashlight at the door knob.

 

“What is it baby?”, Seunghyun who’s arm was still on her shoulder, looked down on her with confusion.

 

Tiffany’s eyes widen in nervousness as she looked up to meet Seunghyun’s gaze. “What do you mean? Didn’t you hear the knock?”

 

Seunghyun shook his head and turned his head to the other couple. “You two, did you hear any knock?”, he asked in a calm manner.

 

The other couple looked at each other before shaking their heads. “No. Are you sure you heard it right Tiff?”, Taeyeon hooked her arm to Tiffany, her eyes showing concern for the younger girl.

 

Tiffany took a shallow breath before showing the group a small smile. “Maybe I’m just hearing things.”, Taeyeon accepted her answer then unhooked her arm on her and walked back to JiYong.

 

“Are you Okay?”, Seunghyun whispered to her ear. She nodded her head and gave him a reassuring smile before turning to look at the close door.

 

“Aren’t we going inside?”, she pointed at the door near her.

 

“Good job Tiffany. You’re enjoying this now.”, JiYong happily skipped over to her and started recording her up close. “Since my girl was the one who opened the first door, why don’t you open this?”,

 

Tiffany looked up to Seunghyun who was smiling at her. Nodding her head in agreement, Tiffany touched the cold door knob, twisted it and slowly opened the door.

 

Tiffany together with Seunghyun were the first one to enter the room. The second room was the Office area. Like the first room, several broken desks and chairs littered the floor. Papers were scattered around, there were also few scribbles at the wall and a hanging ripped white curtain was on the window.

 

Tiffany hold on to Seunghyun’s bicep once again, as they started filming around the room. She can hear the rustling from JiYong and Taeyeon who were opening the drawers. Tiffany then locked her eyes on the old picture hanging on the wall.

 

She softly pinched Seunghyun’s arm to catch his attention, and when she did, she flashlight pointed at the picture. Seunghyun nodded his head and the two of them moved towards the picture.

 

Seunghyun pointed his camcorder on the photo and called for JiYong and Taeyeon. The four of them looked at the organizational chart photo and started reading the names on it. But one thing caught their attention, among the names and picture on the chart there was one person who’s named and pictured was scratch out.

 

Only the letters ㅅㅜㅎ were left.

 

Suddenly, a sound of drop wood echoed throughout the room. Tiffany stiffened as her hold on Seunghyun’s arm tightened. “Baby, please tell me you heard it.”, she felt tears gathering on her eyes as she eyed her boyfriend.

 

“Yes, I heard it loud and clear.”, Seunghyun wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pointing his flashlight everywhere to check if there’s anything that may cause that sound. “That’s the second time.”, he softly whispered.

 

JiYong confidently scanned the room and found nothing. “Hyung, is that the sound you heard earlier?”

 

Seunghyun nodded his head, eyes looking away as he double scanned the room. “Yeah. But earlier, the sound seems from a distance.”

 

Tiffany squirmed closer to Seunghyun, his hand tightened its hold on her shoulder as seconds goes by. “Seunghyun this isn’t funny anymore.”, she whispered nervously.

 

“I have to agree with Tiff on this one.”, Taeyeon stepped closer to the couple as she observed the area. “How sure are we that this place is safe? What if there are bad people lurking around?”

 

“Oh, come on sweetheart, who would be crazy enough to stay in this place? But let me double check.”, JiYong still smiled brightly at them as he bravely peeked outside. “Hey! Is there anyone crazy out there trying to on us!”

 

Silence.

 

“I guess there wasn’t.”, Jiyong turned to them and smiled. “We are the only one crazy enough to enter this place.”

 

Tiffany pulled herself away from Seunghyun and glared at JiYong. “There may be no crazy human being in here but there can be a ghost!”

 

JiYong smiles widen making her step back to Seunghyun. “Then much better!”

 

“Taengoo your boyfriend is crazy!”, she turned her head towards Taeyeon who shrugged back at her.

 

“Well, since forever.”, Taeyeon moved forward to her boyfriend and wrapped an arm around his bicep. Looking back at her, she gave her a toothy smile that made Tiffany roll her eyes. “We went here to document the said paranormal activities, Tiff. And we are here to prove if those ty rumors were true or just rumors.”

 

Tiffany slap her forehead, she forgot that Taeyeon was a goth and horror loving woman. She looked up at Seunghyun who wrapped her hand with his. “Don’t worry baby. I promise you nothing will happen.”

 

Tiffany grunted as she followed them outside, her eyes landed on Taeyeon who was happily giggling while being videoed by JiYong. Why can’t she be as cool and as brave as Taeyeon? Why does she have to be a fainthearted person?

 

“Are we going to split up?”, JiYong asked when they stop at the middle of the intersection.

 

Tiffany looked up at Seunghyun who nodded his head. She eyed him with disbelief and slap his arm in anger. “Why do we have to? We can just stick together.”

 

Seunghyun glanced down on her and sighed. “Baby, we have to do this so we can cover more areas. Don’t worry I’m with you.”

 

“It’s not about that Choi Seunghyun!”, she’s angry, really angry not because of Seunghyun’s insistence that they split up but because of her cowardice. She bit her lip down trying to control her anger and nervousness.

 

 

.

 

 

Seunghyun felt guilty and kept his mouth shut. He was apprehensive whether to move forward or not. Since they step inside he was felt an uncertainty, but he didn’t voice it out in fear that Tiffany would freak out more. And now he doesn’t know what to do.

 

“Whatever! Let’s ing finished this.”, Tiffany harshly wiped the tears from her eyes and looked away from them.

 

JiYong and Taeyeon awkwardly bid their goodbye to them as they headed out to the west wing. The group will meet later at the second floor were apparitions were said to be stronger.

 

Seunghyun scratched the back of his neck as he took a glance at the quiet woman beside him. Since they split up with Jiyong’s team the two didn’t utter a word with each other, the walked was too quiet that the only thing that they can hear were their soft footsteps.

 

They were assigned at the east wing were the sleeping quarters located. They turned around the corner and noticed that the hallway was darker than what they passed earlier, there are no windows around them except for one which was meters away from them.

 

He was about to inform his girl that they will enter one of the rooms when Tiffany stopped from her tracks and grabbed his arm. He glanced down at her, she was frantically turning her head side to side and eyes widening in fright. His protective instinct kicked in, grabbing her shoulder he pulled her closer to him as his eyes narrowed to scan the area.

 

“Seunghyun.”, he felt Tiffany shivered against him. Hugging her closer to his body, he adjusts the brightness of the camcorder’s flashlight and focused his eyes at the dark hallway and concentrated his hearing around the area. His heart beat quickened when he heard a rustle from behind them.

 

Leaning down close to her ear, he softly whispered at her, “Baby, I’m going to turn around. Hold on to the back of my coat and don’t let go. I promise I’ll protect you.”, he heard her whimper in fear but nonetheless nodded her head. With a brave front, Seunghyun turned around and saw no one. He squinted his eyes in the dark but saw nothing. It was just a dark hallway.

 

His heart then dropped when Tiffany let his coat and released an ear-piercing scream. He turned around and saw her crouching on the floor. “What happened!”, he knelt and started shaking her.

 

She lifted her head up and he saw tears streaming down her face. “What happened!”

 

“Baby, something cold touch my back. It’s really cold. Then someone blew on my ear!”, she was stammering hard as tears continued to flow down her eyes. “I’m scared. I don’t want this.”, she was holding her hand over her ears and kept on mumbling in fear.

 

Seunghyun wiped the tears on her face and hugged her to his body. He then heard footsteps from behind it was getting closer. Growling in anger, Seunghyun released strings of curses. “Whatever the you are, human or whatnot I won’t ing allow you to touch my girl!”

 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

 

The footsteps stopped and there was only silence around the hallway. There were no sounds except for their uneven breathing. Using his free hand, Seunghyun patted his girlfriend’s back in comfort while his other hand holding on to the camcorder tightened. He relaxed his mind as he concentrated his ears for any sound and eyes at darkness.

 

 

 

There was a rustling sound of leaves from the outside.

 

 

 

Silence

 

 

 

The light from the window was now gone.

 

 

 

Darkness

 

 

 

Then there was a bang, a sound of an object hitting a wall, it was loud and near.

 

 

 

 

Scuffling sound somewhere from behind.

 

 

 

There was soft growl.

 

 

 

And a whimper.

 

 

 

 

Then another bang.

 

 

 

And he heard it again. The sound of slow footsteps echoing around the hallway.

 

 

One.

 

 

Two.

 

 

Three.

 

 

 

Four.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter