Chapter 1

Unwritten

Seoul Airport. Minhee had been here plenty of times, but it was the first time she had arrived here on her own. The chatter of Korean she could hear around her confirmed that yes, Minhee was not in America anymore. As she left through the airport exit, she surveyed her surroundings, looking for a particular familiar face. She ended up hearing his voice before she even spotted him. 

 

"Minnie!" A deep voice called out her nickname. 

 

She turned around and spotted the boy. "Minjun!" She ran up to him excitedly and gave him a big hug. "I was looking for your ugly- face!" 

 

Minjun scoffed. "My fabulous face, excuse you." 

 

This earned him a chuckle, before Minhee pulled away and looked up at him. "I missed you." 

 

The boy gave her a fond smile. "I missed you too, little dongsaeng. Before we go, lets just text mum and dad real quick so that they know that you've safely arrived." He pulled out his phone and contacted their parents. 

 

While her brother texted their parents, Minhee glanced at the people around her again. The pair of siblings had gotten a few second glances for their mix of English and Korean in their conversation, but otherwise they fit right into the scene. While American-born, the two were of Korean ethnicity.

 

"Okay, we're off!" Her older brother guided Minhee into the parking area. As they neared Minjun's car, he suddenly stopped and grabbed his sister by the arm, spinning her around "WAIT!" 

 

"WHAT? What's wrong?" Minhee asked, surprised by Minjun's sudden action. 

 

Minjun gave her a solemn expression. "So...it's the first time you're meeting her. Please treat her well."

 

"Who are you talking about?" His sister frowned. "Is there some hidden girlfriend I don't know about?" 

 

Minjun's eyebrows furrowed. "Nah man! I'm a med student, so unfortunately, I don't have time for a girlfriend. But...I want you to meet Selena!" He spun Minhee around and pointed excitedly to his car. 

 

"You named your car?" Minhee looked at the small blue car skeptically. 

 

"Of course I did! She's beautiful and deserves to be treated with respect." 

 

His sister gave him a joking smile. "Are you sure this isn't just because you don't have a girlfriend?" 

 

Minjun glared back at her. "Hey, I'm driving you, so you better be nice to me." 

 

After Minjun unlocked the car, they loaded Minhee's luggage into the boot of the car. Minhee opened passenger door and entered the car. "It is a cute car though. I quite like it." 

 

"Yeah, and she's fuel efficient as well." Her brother commented as he settled into the drivers seat and started the engine. "Okay, so I have your key-card with me here. Your flat is literally two stories under mine, so I'll be super close by." He wiggled his eyebrows comedically as he drove out of the airport carpark. "Sibling goals, am I right?" 

 

"Why of course!" Minhee's input was accompanied by finger-guns in Minjun's direction. 

 

Minhee and Minjun loved both Korea and America, but they had both ended up making the same decision of studying at university in Korea. Their parents were currently in America, but they were also making plans to eventually move back to Korea, and the Park family would be reunited in their home country. Minhee's decision in particular, was strongly influenced by the fact that she was getting a large scholarship from Seoul National University. Minjun was studying to be a doctor, but Minhee was also a top student in her own right. She is a writing prodigy of sorts, great with language - whether it be English or Korean. 

 

"At the hospital where I'm learning, one of the doctors is reading your book. I was gonna criticise his poor choice in novels but I thought that might be a bit rude to him." Minjun spoke in a light-hearted tone. 

 

"Oh yeah, sure, don't worry about being rude to me." Minhee remarked, although she knew her brother was joking. As an 18 year old, it was crazy that Minhee already had a novel published. When it came out, her brother had been the person most happy for her, alongside her parents. The novel, which Minhee had released in both Korean and English, had done relatively well for such a young author. Moreso than in America, the book was quite popular in Korea. In fact, it was the reason why Minhee was receiving such a great scholarship. 

 

Minhee spoke up again. "I'm going to miss Ms Jones." Talking about her book made Minhee remember her fantastic Year 12 English teacher back in America. It was Ms Jones who took Minhee's book to a publisher she knew after she read the book and was impressed by it. She was Minhee's greatest supporter for pursuing her dream of becoming a writer. 

 

"I know." Minjun said softly. "When I first came to Korea I missed America so much as well. But as you settle in and make friends here, you'll love it."

 

His sister nodded. "True! And I have Hye-rim as well." The Park siblings had moved back and forth between Korea and America throughout their life, due to their parents' business. Minhee's high school years were spent in America, but she did attend some primary school in Korea. She had remained close with one of her primary school friends, Hye-rim, who was now also going to be attending Seoul National University. 

 

"Oh yeah, she'll be all grown up now, just like you Kiddo!" Minjun reached over to ruffle Minhee's hair. 

 

Minhee smacked his hand away. "Oppa, you're only 3 years older than me."

 

She looked out the window and noted the sight of the familiar Korean streets. They stopped at a traffic light near a large building, and Minnie's attention drifted onto a boy walking away from the building, towards the road that their car was on. He was wearing a face-mask that covered the lower half of his face, but his unique round eyes could still be seen, peeking out under his brown hair. 

 

"Nice eyes." She muttered, tilting her head. 

 

"Me?" Minjun's eyes flitted up to the small mirror attached to the sun visor, looking at his own chestnut brown orbs. "I mean thanks, but we have the same eyes sis." 

 

Minhee faked a cough and ignored her brother. It would be embarrassing if he knew that she had been admiring some random guy's eyes. As the light turned green and the car began to move, Minhee looked back at the building they had been stopped next to. She was surprised to see a familiar name. "JYP Entertainment." Minhee read the title at the front of the building. "Have you ever been?"

 

Minjun immediately tightened his grip on the steering wheel and clenched his jaw. "I have no reason to go there." 

 

She sighed. "He's still our uncle, Minjun." She recalled memories of Park Jinyoung visiting them when he came to America. Minhee's grandfather was always happy to see his son, but Minhee's father barely ever talked to his brother. She supposed that her father's dislike of his little brother was the reason why their family never visited JYP even when they came to Korea. In the brotherly relationship, there had been one-sided dislike for as long as she could remember. 

 

"Yeah, well, you know what happened. If dad doesn't consider JYP as his brother anymore, then I don't blame him. We have nothing to do with him now." Minjun stated. 

 

The Park kids were aware of this family drama as soon as they were old enough to understand it. Minjun seemed to always stand strongly by his father's side, but Minhee knew that this was a complex issue because of everything that had occurred in the past. She loved her father, but she remained impartial on this issue. Her interactions with her uncle were, admittedly limited, but positive. As such, she still considered him to be her uncle despite not being in contact with him. 

 

"Has he ever contacted you?" Minhee inquired. She knew that JYP was still in contact with his father, and she was pretty sure that her grandfather would have mentioned how Minjun and Minhee were studying in Korea now. Minjun had already been in Korea for 3 years. 

 

"Yeah...I don't even know how he got my number, but he called and texted me many times during my first year here. Wanting to make sure I've settled in and what-not. I never went to see him and hardly ever responded so he eventually gave up." 

 

Minhee tried to hide her smile. She had a pretty good idea of how her uncle had gotten Minjun's number. So many years had passed, but Minhee's grandfather was still eager for the two brothers to make up. JYP had made plenty of efforts from his side, but her grandfather had never been able to talk some sense into her father. It was very probable that her grandfather had thought a patch-up was possible if JYP was able to get close to his brother's family.  

 

The car turned into an apartment complex carpark. This building was very close to Seoul National University, making it an ideal place for Minhee to stay. The university was walking distance for her. Minjun lived in the same apartment complex as he too, had attended Seoul National University. He was there for 2 years, but had now moved on to hospital placements, as was part of his course. He was studying to be a doctor through a hands-on approach in hospitals, and had gotten his car Selena so that he could drive to these hospitals. 

 

"Tah Dah! This is it!" Minjun parked the car in his designated spot in the carpark. He went to the back of the car to take out Minhee's bags. 

 

Minhee stepped out and had a good look at the building. It had an incredibly modern look, as it was a relatively new complex. The building stood 10 stories tall and was home to many students due to it's close proximity to Seoul National University. The apartments were not terribly expensive to rent, but they were not cheap either, obviously aimed towards students from moderately well-off families. They were fortunate that their parents had their own business, owning two car dealerships - one large one in America, and a smaller one here in South Korea. 

 

"This place is really cool!" Minhee said, b with excitement as they entered through the front door. 

 

"It is pretty nice!" Minjun agreed. He guided her straight into a elevator which he activated using his apartment's key-card before pressing the button for the 4th floor. He held out another key-card to Minhee. "The owners know that you're my sister, since I facilitated the whole process of renting out your flat, so they let me collect your key-card for you." 

 

Minhee clutched onto the key-card. "My child." She murmured to it. 

 

Her brother gave her a strange look. 

 

"Oh, so what. You can name your car but I can't call my key-card my child?" She protested. 

 

The elevator doors opened to the forth floor, and the sibling duo walked out. Minjun approached the door which said 4-1 on it. "Okay, this is your flat Minnie." 

 

Minhee swiped her key-card and opened the door, stepping inside the apartment and looking around tentatively. "Woah..." 

 

The apartment was small but incredibly stylish. The kitchen was well-equipped and completely pristine-looking. There was a small wooden dining table right next to the kitchen, around which stood 4 chairs. Also near this table was a medium-sized television attached to the wall, and in front of it was a red couch. There was an attached bedroom and a bathroom as well. The apartment was small but did pretty well for its size. This particular apartment complex was mostly for students, and as such, each flat was designed ideally for one person. Along with the fact that she had a lot of scholarship money, this was one of the main reasons why Minhee's parents decided that she could just have her own flat instead of staying with her brother. 

 

Minhee and Minjun walked around her flat. "I feel like such a grown up right now. I have my own place!" She said. 

 

"I mean, I live just two floors up. It kinda feels like we just have different rooms in the same house." Minjun commented. 

 

"That's true." 

 

"And grown ups don't call their key-card their 'child'". He continued. 

 

His sister shoved him. "OKAY Fine!" 

 

They dragged Minhee's luggage into her bedroom. 

 

"Well, I guess you'll be unpacking now! Everything else in the house is set up, but let me know if you need help on anything. We'll get your sim-card for your phone tomorrow." Minjun explained. 

 

Minhee nodded. "Thanks Minjun! Yeah I'll try and get unpacking done today." It was already evening time, but Minhee was pretty sure she could finish unpacking in no time. 

 

"Awesome. I guess I'll head up then, I've got a few things to do." 

 

She waved to her brother and walked him out the door. However, as he walked away and neared the elevator, she felt a sinking feeling in her heart. She realised that she was forgetting something, and she almost gasped in horror. "Minjun!" She whisper-yelled, not wanting to disturb other people living on the 4th floor. 

 

Her brother turned around and walked back to her, seemingly concerned from the expression on Minhee's face. "What's wrong?" 

 

She grabbed his arm firmly and looked him dead-straight in the eye. "What's the wifi password?" 

 

Minjun gave her a flat look. "You're such a drama-queen. Chill I'll just message it to you." 

 

She blinked. "How can I get a message without wifi or a sim-card?" 

 

That made him pause. "Damn, I feel so dumb right now. I need to reiterate to myself that I am a med student and I. Am. Not. Dumb." He muttered as he grabbed a piece of paper in Minhee's flat and scribbled down the wifi password instead. 

 

"Thank you so much oppa! I really appreciate all the help today." Minhee gave her brother a genuine smile. 

 

"Hope you settle in alright Minnie. Your uni starts in a few days doesn't it?" 

 

"Yup!" Minhee bubbled with enthusiasm. "Can't wait! Catch you later oppa." She gave him a mock salute as he left her apartment, for real this time, to go up to his. 

 

She locked her door and swung around, doing a little dance in the middle of her apartment. She picked up her key-card off the table and decided to place it in her hand-bag for safekeeping. "My little plastic child, it's just you and me now!"