Please Choose Me

Something Stupid (Like I Love You)

Every meal should be taken peacefully. That’s Seo Hyeon’s opinion. Indigestion could so easily happen and God only knew what other sickness could add to that. But apparently, she wouldn’t have peace at all during lunch. Not that she didn’t try. But it’s hard to have one when you had two of the most talkative best friends in the world.

“Have you heard, Hyeonnie? CNBLUE is going to hold a very special fanmeeting”

Hyo Yeon slapped Fany on her shoulder. “Yah! Don’t you know her at all? There’s no use telling it to her! Of course she already knows!”

“Oh. Right. If it’s Hyeonnie, of course she knows! So, have you tried your luck?”.

Seo Hyeon sighed, sipping her soup out of a spoon. It was another unnecessary question. If it’s CNBLUE related, of course she already did everything she could.

“De. I have”

“I bet she knows everything before us, Fany-ah. She and her Yong Nampyeon share this “thing”, you know?” Hyo Yeon said in a slightly mocking tone.

Seo Hyeon could feel her cheeks got warmer, and she ducked her head in an excuse of mixing her Bibimbap some more.

“Your obsession to this CNBLUE guy is getting scary, you know, Hyeonnie-ah?” Fany said worriedly, “You listen to him 24/7. You sleep after listening to his radio show. Whenever he’s playing on the weekend music shows with his band, you make sure we go out after the show is over. Hell, you even refused to have a holiday at Jeju with us last month because you preferred to queue for hours to attend their single signing!”

Seo Hyeon drank her tea slowly before responding with a, “What’s strange about that? Why can’t I?”

Fany gave an exasperated sigh and waved her hand to Hyo Yeon.

“What Fany is saying is that, he’s not real, Hyeonnie”

Seo Hyeon frowned. “What do you mean Jung Yong Hwa is not real? He clearly exists!”

“Yes. He is. But he’s not—a real guy you could have a relationship with! You’re young. You’re 20. You’re pretty, for God’s sake! You should be dating guys, have some fun! Not spending your life idolizing this guy who doesn’t even know you’re alive!”

“I am having fun…….” she answered faintly.

“By fun do you mean practicing his songs on your piano?”

“Really. I don’t get it. What’s so special about him? He’s good looking, okay. He can sing and play guitar. Great. But there are other guys who can do that. Why are you so obsessed with him? Why is he your ideal?” Fany asked, her tone wary.

“Because he’s……..a great songwriter. He wrote most of CNBLUE songs. And I love his songs”

“You love him, you mean” Hyo Yeon added quickly.

Seo Hyeon didn’t answer. It wasn’t a question, anyway.

“Help us understand. What makes you so obsessed with this guy for….almost three years already? Explain to us, what makes him so good that you keep rejecting all of those guys who asked you to go out on Friday nights? What’s so good about him?”

“He’s a hardworker. He’s……a good leader. He’s very kind to his dongsaengs you know? And he speaks about his mother with so much love and respect……And he’s also a very funny guy”

“But I think he’s not very good in acting. The rating of his latest drama because his acting ” Hyo Yeon commented mercilessly.

“Yah!” Seo Hyeon scolded loudly. “He’s improving! And he worked so hard for that one! How could you say that he—“

“Okay, okay” Hyo Yeon waved her hands in a surrendering gesture, “I’m wrong. Mianhe. I won’t say his acting ever again”

Seo Hyeon breathed in.

“See? She’s like this everytime she heard anyone saying bad things about this Jung Yong Hwa guy”

“Because—because! I can’t stand it”

“Ahrasseo” Fany patted her hand, “we get it”

“So you already tried that Valentine quiz?”

Seo Hyeon nodded.

“I wish you luck then. If winning it would make you really happy, then I wish you will” Hyo Yeon said affectionately, reaching Seo Hyeon’s hand and smiling broadly to her.

*******************************************
The first time Seo Hyeon started to become Jung Yong Hwa’s fan was when she watched the idol drama, Minamishineyo. At first, his character was the typical second lead character guy. Cool, caring and charming. But then when they shot the episode where he and the ANJELL sang on stage, playing his guitar and did his rap part, she fell in love with him. Call it cliché, but her heart went dugeun dugeun watching that scene.

She liked him even more after she watched his interviews. He seemed like an open hearted, funny guy, who is ready to work hard to reach his dreams. She got even more excited when it was announced that he’s a member of a band, named CNBLUE, and they will release a single soon.

She liked Waetoriya and all the songs included in the single. Since then, she had followed him like a faithful believer. She watched the internet like a hawk for every single news about him. She stood queuing for hours just to get “First Step”, their first album, signed.

She was a nervous wreck as she approached the long table where CNBLUE sat. The seating arrangement was Jung Shin, Min Hyuk, Jong Hyun, and finally him. She bet she looked pale by the time she reached him.

He had asked, “What’s your name?” ready with his marker pen. And then he signed her CD with “Seo Joo Hyeon, do your best every day! Love, Jung Yong Hwa”.

She had bowed very low and thanked him sincerely afterwards. Then, she walked down the stage, and walked home clutching the CD Cover as tears of happiness streamed from her eyes. People on the bus might think she was broken hearted or something. But no, she was so happy that day she could burst from all her feelings.

“I’ve met him. I’ve met him! He signed my CD!”

Until now, that CD is one of her most cherished possession.

****************************************

“Valentine’s day is approaching, listeners!” Yong Hwa announced cheerfully that night in his radio show. “Don’t forget to participate in our quiz for the fanmeeting. Remember, those who win could see our special showcase and four of you could have a private dinner with us”.

“Since this is the month of love, as a lot of people say, I’ll play a love song for you. This song is like, ten years ago. The original version is even older. But it’s one of my favorite. “Something Stupid”. The Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman’s version."

As she heard the song filling in her bedroom, Seo Hyeon clasped her hands in a prayer, “Dear God, please, let me have that dinner with him. I really, really want it. Please God. Please listen to my prayer”

*****************************************

The special fanmeeting, like Yong Hwa advertised in his radio show, was a special showcase only for 50 fans, that would be held on Valentine’s day. Fans were requested to answer 10 questions about each member of CNBLUE. They could choose their favorite member and answer the questions prepared, which only a real fan would be able to answer. Also, they were requested to send a postcard with the reason why they like that member.

That morning, before CNBLUE started their activities, their manager carried a big box of postcards to their dorm. They were the ones with the right answers, he said. Please choose ten postcards each. Pick the message that could touch your heart.

“But who’ll choose the remaining ten?”

“Oh. I forgot. Choose twelve postcards each then”

“But then what about the last two? Or you think we can’t count eh, Hyung?” Jung Shin asked cheekily.

“To make it fair, I think I’ll choose the last two. What do you think?”

They all nodded and then they sat down reading the postcards.

Some were funny, some were too much. The others drew on their postcards, or put a poem in it. They all laughed and smiled happily reading them. True, fans could indeed boost your spirits up. It was worth it. All the crazy schedules and exhausting rehearsals, when you sing on stage and you hear your fans screamed for you in appreciation, you’d want to do everything all over again. And more.

Yong Hwa already choose his twelve, as his dongsaengs did. Their manager, however, sat in confusions.

“Ottoke? I feel sorry for not choosing one or the other. They must all really want to meet you guys. Why should it only be 50, huh? Why can’t it be 500?”

“5000, you mean Hyung?” Jong Hyun asked.

“Yah, Hyung!” Yong Hwa chuckled. “You’re only told to choose two!”

“I know. It’s hard!”

“Shall I choose it for us?” Yong Hwa asked his dongsaengs.

“Go right ahead Hyung. I’m happy with my twelve” Min Hyuk said, putting the postcards he had chosen neatly on the table and their manager put it in an envelope and wrote “Kang Min Hyuk on it”.

Yong Hwa randomly picked up postcards and then chose one that said she was a mother and his three years old son could sing “Intuition” fluently. Their favorite member was Jong Hyun and “Would you please give me this opportunity? My husband would wait for me with my son. Would you please take a picture with him after the showcase ends? It’s okay if I don’t get the showcase or the dinner. But I’d really appreciate it if you would take a picture after the show with my son. He would be really happy”.

Without a doubt, Yong Hwa gave the postcard to his manager. “This one” he said.

“Got it. One more”

Yong Hwa randomly looked at one postcard to the next. One caught his eyes. The printed picture was music sheets with some notes scattered here and there. He took the card and read the message. It said,

“I really admire Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. I think he always speaks sincerely and do his best in everything. I love his songs. It gives me a lot of strength and I never get tired listening to it. I should say something better, but I can’t. This is really what my heart feels. Just the chance that these words might be read by him makes me happy already. I really want this chance to listen to him and CNBLUE live, and maybe dinner with him to know him better. But if I don’t get the chance, I will still loyally support him in everything he does, no matter how long. Jung Yeong Hwa-ssi, always do your best. I promise I will always follow you”.

Yong Hwa didn’t know what it was. The words were obviously simple yet it touched his heart. He read her name, Seo Joo Hyeon. It’s not like he remembered her name. No. He signed thousands and thousands of CD Covers. It’s impossible that he would remember them one by one. He didn’t know this Seo Joo Hyeon was young or old. Pretty or not. What he knew was only that he wanted to give this chance to her.

So he gave the postcard to his manager.

“Why this one?” the manager had asked, interested since it was the last one. He read the card and thought there was nothing special in it.

“Neat handwriting. I like it” he answered smoothly.

“Ah” his manager nodded, putting Yong Hwa’s chosen post cards in an envelope, sealed it, and wrote his name.

“Okay then. I’ll give this to M Net’s EO. You have Kim Jung Eun’s Chocolate in two hours”

*********************************************

Seo Hyeon could not contain her happiness that night, as Yong Hwa announced the winner of the quiz in his radio show that night. Every name was mentioned twice including their address. She squealed and rolled around in her bed when her name was mentioned.

She was so happy she couldn’t sleep that night.

“If you want to have dinner with any of us, you should prepare a gift or a performance. Prepare something or sing our song. We’ll choose that way. Alright? I’ll see you soon”

*********************************************

Seo Joo Hyeon dressed up in a light blue dress and arrived two hours before the appointed time. There were already other fans waiting to enter the hall. There were girls from all ages. The youngest was only ten years old, high spirited and would not stop telling everybody how she loved Jung Shin. Teenagers, middle aged woman, and even two grand mothers. There were three or four guys too. Seo Hyeon could see that there were no gender or age preference. They picked from the message in the postcards alone.

She enjoyed a heart to heart talk of “Why we like CNBLUE” with those who sat near her, schoolgirls who said, “Because Jong Hyun Oppa is so hot!” and “I like their songs because my son played it often and always see their shows on TV. I think I turned out to like them more than my son” one of the ahjummas said.

When the doors were finally opened, the hall looked like a family party. Chairs placed in five lines in front and around the stage. Ribbons and balloons of blue and white filled the room, with big pictures of CNBLUE since childhood until the previous week hanged with strings from the ceiling.

There were drinks and snacks on two sides of the hall, the EO kept pushing them to take something and enjoy the time.

But Seo Hyeon didn’t feel like swallowing anything.

Park Seul Gi, the host of the evening, mounted the stage and cheerfully greeted everyone and asked them to sit down according to the number they got. Seo Hyeon found her seat was on the third row, in the middle of it. She cheered happily inside. She couldn’t get a better seat than that.

Park Seul Gi announced CNBLUE’s name one by one and they all mounted the stage as the pianist played the background music.

Thank you, Seo Hyeon whispered inside. 

Thank you so much for the opportunity. I’ll never forget this day.

CNBLUE started it off by playing LOVE.

As Yong Hwa started to sing, Seo Hyeon closed her eyes, feeling his voice washed over her.

******************************************

TO BE CONTINUED


Author's Note :

19 August 2011

Sorryyyyy! I thought I could finish this in one sitting. But apparently I can't. Well hopefully I've built enough back ground and did not bore you. More to come, I promise.

Don't forget to comment, you could make me happy by doing that.

I'm planning my new multichapter fic. I hope I could start posting chapter one next week.

PS : how many more hours is it until that Niigata song festival? I already prayed and asked God to skip Friday. Apparently it was not answered,LOL.

Have a great day, everybody. I love you all who read and commented on my stories.