A Special Kind Of Birthday

A Special Kind Of Birthday

Something was different when Hyunjin woke up the following morning after a night full of partying, celebrating his 18th birthday and having fun. The atmosphere in his room wasn't the usual one, making the male feel uncomfortable when stretching and rubbing his eyes. “How weird.. did I drink too much last night?” he mumbled to himself as he walked over to the bedroom door.. just to find out that it was locked, much to his confusion. “What the hell? Since when do I lock the door when I'm drunk? Maybe it was just a prank-" Evil chuckles made him shut up instantly, body tensing up and a cold shiver running down his spine. This wasn't good at all.


“You think that it was your friends putting you into this situation? Think again, you fool.” The mysterious voice spoke with a teasing tone, Hyunjin attempting to spot the source but failing. “I was bored and you seemed to be the perfect victim for my little game, so why don't we start? There are two wolves who are always fighting. One is darkness and despair, the other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? You've got a day, you fool.” The voice continued and the young male had no idea what was going on, so he turned around to grab his phone, making a water bottle fall down with his elbow in the process.


The weird thing was.. the missing sound. There should have been a sound when the bottle hit the floor and even if he clapped his hands afterwards, there was nothing. He tried speaking and shouting but not a single note entered his ear and reached his brain. ‘Holy sh*t is this real? Do I really have to solve it in order to make it stop and hear again. The black haired boy thought about it for a moment before he was sure that he had the right answer. “It's actually easy. The hope one wins because he's good, doesn't he?” he said despite not hearing himself but more silence followed, making him wonder if his answer was wrong. All the movies taught him that the good ones and heroes win, so why is he still unable to hear anything? Was it the dark wolf?


Sitting down on his bed with one hand ruffling his messy hair, the raven tried to imagine the whole situation in hopes of understanding the riddle.


“Felix! Changbin! Why are you fighting again? It's just a cookie, you know?” a male said as he stood in front of the two friends fighting over the sweet treat, neither of them wanting to give in. “I have more of them in my room but I swear I'll eat them alone if you don't stop with this childish behaviour.” One quick movement and the male speaking snatched the cookie away, eating it to prove his point. “But Jisung... he stole it as always. He can't be nice at all and keeps on doing it.” The taller and youngest of the three complained with a slight pout, making the other one scoff. “You're so full of hope anyway and will find a way to think positive anyway. Why do you have to complain so much?” the oldest of them responded with a dark glare directed at the other. “I can just keep them all to myself. I know that Changbin isn't the nicest and you're right, Felix likes to see the positive aspects but I still wanted to share with you until you started to fight again. Calm down and make up you two.” Jisung spoke with authority and turned around, walking away to let those to be on their own. They would never change and stop fighting.


It felt as if Hyunjin was stuck watching the three friends for quite a while and for some reason, it made sense. It didn't always have to be the good side winning or the dark side being stronger. When it came to the three friends, Jisung was the one in control as the neutral one, deciding on which one of them to support and give the cookies. Did that mean that no one of the two wolves won when it came to the riddle? “None of the wolves wins.” The raven spoke with uncertainty, clapped his hands once and waited. ‘This can't be..’ he thought and messed with his hair again, tugging on the strands until he had one more idea which might work out. “The wolf who wins.. is it the one you feed? The one you support and believe in?” he spoke again, clapped and to his surprise heard the sound, making him smile. The raven had never been that happy about being able to hear before. His happiness didn't last long though because sudden dizziness hit him, causing him to fall back onto the bed.


“Dude. Did the stuff actually knock you out? We have to leave because Changbin and Felix are fighting again and the other people in the bar are glaring at us, getting suspicious of our fake age. How childish of them to fight over a single cookie that they've found. I'm surprised that they didn't break up yet.” Hyunjin's best friend complained and shook his head before dragging all of them outside. “Ji.. Bin.. Lix... you have no idea what kind of f**ked up dream I had.”