happier.

i still love you (but you're happier without me)

“Let’s break up.”

 

Jungkook stared at the cold, empty space beside him. The space that used to be filled with so many smiles and laughter, so much happiness and love. He had been staring at that empty space for a solid month now.

One month since Jimin had broken up with him, leaving him heartbroken and alone. He understood, really. He had spent so much time focusing on his career and planning that Jimin became more and more distant. Jungkook really should've seen it coming, after all he had ed up. He made Jimin believe that he wasn't loved, but that was far from the truth. Jungkook didn't think he could love anyone else in his life. He wished, so badly, to go back in time and spend more time with the love of his life. He wished he could've had the chance to execute the plan he had spent so much time and energy, put so much love into.

He wished he could tell Jimin he loved him every single day for the rest of his life.

But that wouldn't happen, and Jungkook knew that. No matter how much he loved Jimin, he couldn't act on those feelings anymore. He had the chance and he blew it.

After all, Jimin is in love with someone else now. Someone far more deserving and worthy than himself.

He had seen them one night a few days ago. They were happy. Jimin was happy. Jungkook though that Jimin had looked happier than he was with him, his blinding smile that he hadn't seen in months giving him the evidence he needed. It hurt– it broke him inside. Jimin and the other male didn't seem to notice him as they walked. And that broke Jungkook even more, the realization that Jimin really moved on so fast, that he was happy without him while he was still stuck on him, while his heart was still wounded.

The song he had written for Jimin for their 4 year anniversary, before they had broken up, was sitting on his desk. The song he was going to propose to Jimin with. Jungkook had it all planned out, moving in secret to get everything ready.

Too bad he hadn't been mindful enough. And now the song was sitting there, melody already making it's way inside Jungkook's head. It was too painful to think about the lyrics he had written with all his heart, so sincere and still too real.

 


"I see my future in your eyes, baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms."

 

Jungkook couldn't handle so many emotions surging in his heart. He became overwhelmed, the tears rolling down his cheeks before he could stop them.

He missed him. He missed Jimin so much. He missed his cute squeaky laugh, his smile that rivaled the sun, his little crooked tooth, his small hands and chubby fingers, his eyes that held entire galaxies, that held Jungkook's entire world. He missed his soothing voice, his jokes, his love.

It was too much for him to handle all at once. He needed to let out his feelings somewhere– he needed to at least try to ease his bruised heart. So he did the only thing he knew he could do. Jungkook started to write a song. And once again it was about Jimin. All of his songs were for Jimin.

He was Jungkook's muse after all.

 

"I loved you Jungkook, and I thought you did too, but I'm starting to doubt that you still do."


The hole in his heart was still there, even after having finished the song. Jungkook was preparing to bare his heart and soul to the small audience he had. It's what he as a musician had sworn to do after all.

He was offered a chance to play at a popular club that night. Jungkook only accepted because he desperately needed the money.

It would be the first time that Jungkook would sing in front of a public audience since his break-up, and his first time singing his new song. The nerves were beginning to eat him alive. He wasn't sure that he mentally ready to perform at all, but he pushed on.


He was doing fine, he hadn't broken down in front of everyone yet, he was getting through this song.

Jungkook thought he would be fine for the remainder of the song. He thought he could hold it in, but seeing the inspiration to his song, the reason for his heartbreak looking at him from the crowd broke him.

Jimin was there, standing with his probably new boyfriend. The minute Jungkook spotted him in the crowd, he avoided all eye contact. His voice wavered a bit but it wasn't noticeable to anyone but himself. He felt the stabs in his chest and the tears prick at his eyes and he tried, he really tried to hold it in.
But he couldn't.

As the song ended his tears rolled freely down his cheeks. The crowd stunned at such a powerful performance. He looked around, not bothering to wipe his eyes of the still falling tears.

Jimin, the only man in the world that Jungkook loved, was stunned in silence. His new boyfriends seemingly asking if he was okay. And just like that the trance was broken and Jimin walked to the exit, his boyfriend chasing after him.

He left, just like that day months ago, when he walked away from Jungkook. He didn't look back to see what was left of the boy he used to love. He went and took Jungkook's heart with him.

 

Jungkook was alone and lost again, without his heart and love.

 

His heart would continue to love Jimin for the rest of his life, but it would be for nothing.

He didn't see the tears that Jimin had shed as soon as he left the club, and he never would.

 


Just like the ring in the box that was still sitting on Jungkook's dresser at home. It would never be opened again.

 

 


"Baby you look happier, you do. I knew one day you'd fall for someone new. But if he breaks your heart like lovers do, just know that I'll be waiting here for you."